Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / February 2016 Letter to Friends

February 2016 Letter to Friends

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting

of the Religious Society of Friends

Second Month 2016

 

Calendar of Events

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting.

Quaker House Santa Fe Meeting, a preparative meeting under the care of SFMM, holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday morning at 10:30, 2098 Calle Ensenada, on the northwest corner of Siringo Road and Calle Ensenada.

 

Sunday, 2/07 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting @ Canyon Rd.

Sunday, 2/14 10:10 Chanting as Preparation for Worship @ Canyon Rd. Meetinghouse

Sunday, 2/21 12:50 Meeting for Business following the rise of Meeting for Worship and fellowship @ Canyon Rd.

Sunday, 2/28 10:10 Chanting as Preparation for Worship @ Canyon Rd. Meetinghouse

 

The Monthly Query for the 2nd month, 2016

How do I share my deepest beliefs within the meeting and in the wider world? (ref. IMYM Faith and Practice, p. 130)

 

Announcements

February 3 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7:00pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906 or lhibbs@ cybermesa.com

February 3 - Ministry and Counsel Committee meets 1st Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm at Quaker House, 2098 Calle Ensenada.  Anyone wanting to meet with M & C should contact Betsy Lombardi, 473-9110, betsyjbb@gmail.com, Clerk of M & C.

February 7 – Monthly Potluck occurs at the rise of the 11:00 meeting. Please bring a dish to share and stay for a potluck in the library.

February 7 – Peace & Social Concerns will meet immediately following the potluck on Canyon Road. Please consider joining this important committee.

February 14 – Chanting as preparation for worship.  Chanting on 2nd and 4th Sundays at 10:10am at the Meetinghouse on Canyon Rd.  We sing simple chants and hymns, repeating the lines for memorization and for the pleasure of the music. For information, please contact Guthrie Miller  954-4224 or John Kretzmann 988-2152.

February 21 - Meeting for Business will meet following the rise of the 11:00 meeting and fellowship.

February 28 – Chanting as preparation for worship.  Chanting on 2nd and 4th Sundays at 10:10am at the Meetinghouse on Canyon Rd.  We sing simple chants and hymns, repeating the lines for memorization and for the pleasure of the music. For information, please contact Guthrie Miller  954-4224 or John Kretzmann 988-2152.

 

Minutes of Meeting for Worship for Business

January 17, 2016

 

Present: Katherine Youngmeister (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk), Dave Giltrow, Ann Lindsay, Philip Balcombe, Bob  Gaines, Brad Sutor, Brooke N. Sutor, Sarah Hawthorne, James K. Hosely, Greg Cliburn, Karli Wheeler, Wyn Lewis, Ann Anthony, John Kretzmann, Pam Gilchrist.

 

The meeting for worship for business opened with worship at 12:55 p.m. Discussion of the agenda items began at 1 p.m.

 

Friends accepted Marguerite Kearns as the temporary Recording Clerk for this meeting. She read the agenda to Friends and adjusted the agenda to reflect those reading the reports.

 

Appreciation was expressed to Alison Stone and Bruce Simon for providing the snacks following meeting for worship, an ongoing practice on the third First Day to nourish and sustain those attending the business meeting.

 

Friends approved the minutes of the December 20, 2015 business meeting with the following change: Bob Gaines made the presentation about the Carbon Fee and Dividend, not Pam Gilchrist.

 

Karli Wheeler noted the FCNL special event for young people held at the 630 Canyon Road meeting house the previous week. Karli will share news of the program with 9 o’clock members and attenders.

 

The clerk’s business and correspondence highlighted the following:

 

(1.)The need for a Mutual Care “communications terminal” to include a list of resources and offerings such as cooking, delivery, rides, etc. that will hopefully meet Friends’ ongoing needs. (2.) Realistic ways in which a future meeting programs might include worship sharing, a book group, a “Light” group, and other suggestions. These options were discussed and incorporated in plans for the future. (3.) A thank you note from Pamela Benson who expressed appreciation for the $100 bonus from SFMM for her long service in cleaning the meeting house monthly and her plans to use the gift to share with several people currently without homes.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

 

(1.)         Bob Gaines continued the discussion initiated by Peace and Social Concerns in December 2015 about a possible endorsement of the Carbon Fee and Dividend by SFMM. Those in attendance in December 2015 suggested that Bob Gaines provide SFMM with more information. A meeting with the Citizens Climate Lobby will be arranged in the future.

(2.)         Bob Gaines addressed the recent nominations to the Nominating Committee. Wyn Lewis and Beverly Weiler have agreed to serve. These nominations will season for one month. Nominations from 9 o’clock meeting and Quaker House are welcome. The Nominating Committee is looking for volunteers to fill vacancies for recording clerk and two members of Ministry and Counsel.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

Ann Lindsay read the proposed query for February 2016 as presented by Ministry and Counsel:

 

A.   “How do I share my deepest beliefs within the Meeting and the wider world?” [Adapted from IMYM Faith and Practice, p. 130]

B.   Friends approved the query.

REPORTS:

 

Committee reports are included in the appendix to these minutes. Some reports to SFMM were oral. A few digital versions of reports were not submitted in time to be circulated with the agenda and one was received after the meeting. Those presenting reports to Friends during business meeting highlighted the essence of the document and referred Friends to the appendix to read the reports in full.

 

(1.)         Friends accepted the Treasurer’s report as presented by Greg Cliburn. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing the treasurer’s report.  Bob Gaines reminded Friends that the balance between income and expenses may shift as the fiscal year progresses.

(2.)         Friends accepted the report from the Ad Hoc Committee for Access as presented by Greg Cliburn. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing the report prepared by the Ad Hoc Committee for Access and Philip Balcombe as consultant. Blue tape is now displayed on the meeting house floor to designate the wheelchair area during worship. One Friend summed up the thought and care involved in considering access issues: “Access to the meeting house is part of our ministry.” Friends are reminded to fill seats at the far end of the meeting room first. Access accommodations will be added to the signup list for hospitality. These reminders and new practices build on work contributed by Friends in 2001 that included driveway access, acoustics, lighting, and other changes. Keeping Friends reminded of these priorities continues.

(3.)         Friends accepted the report of the Building Committee as presented by David Giltrow. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing the report.

(4.)         Friends accepted the report of Ministry and Counsel as presented by Ann Lindsay. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing the M&C report.

(5.)         Friends accepted the oral report of Peace and Social Concerns as presented by Pam Gilchrist. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing the Peace & Social Concerns report. Pam highlighted the Friends Committee on National Legislation conference where 70 people registered and 55 attended. Young people met with New Mexico elected officials. Concern was expressed about David Henkel who is recovering from surgery.

(6.)         Friends accepted the report of the First Day School Committee as presented by Brad Sutor. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing this report. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Highlights of the report to business meeting includes Marty Carroll’s upcoming retirement for First Day School director in June 2016. Beverly Weiler will continue with the teaching and guidance. SFMM members and attenders are delighted at the ongoing program for young teens. Members and attenders are asked to consider volunteering for taking over the coordination of the young teens program. Nine o’clock and Quaker House members and attenders are also included in the search to fill this position. Friends with ideas about the First Day School program are invited to offer them to First Day School committee members.

(7.)         Friends accepted the report of the Resident Friend as presented by Karli Wheeler. The full report is available in the appendix to these minutes. Friends expressed appreciation for the loving attention and care involved in preparing this report. 

 

Friends completed consideration of the agenda items at 2:25 p.m.

 

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

 

The next Meeting for Worship for Business is scheduled for February 21, 2016. That meeting will include the annual corporation meeting. Philip Balcomb announced his intention not to continue service as a director in 2015 and reminds SFMM of the importance of replacing him.

 

The January 2016 Meeting for Worship for Business concluded at 2:30 p.m. with worship.

 

Respectfully submitted with love,

 

Marguerite Kearns

Acting Recording Clerk (and SFMM Assistant Clerk)

 

Katherine Youngmeister

Clerk

 

 

---------------------

 

APPENDIX FOR JANUARY 2016:

Santa Fe Friends Meeting

Reports for January 17, 2016 Meeting for Business

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends Treasurer’s Report

01/17/2016

 

FY 2015-2016, as of 12/31/2015:

 

Total in bank: $178,364         

General Fund balance: $13,403

•    Donations to General Fund: $9,689

•    Transfers from other funds: $2,286*

•    Interest income: $189

•    Miscellaneous income: $472†

•    Payments from General Fund: $9,775

•    General Fund net gain (loss): $2,861

 

Maintenance Fund balance: $5,161

•    Donations to Maintenance Fund: $5,193

•    Interest income to Maintenance Fund: $25

•    Payments from Maintenance Fund: $26,100‡

•    Maintenance Fund net gain (loss): ($20,881)

 

*Transfers from other funds to the General Fund are $192 from the Adult Education Fund for retreat expenses and $2,093 from the New Meetinghouse Fund for architect expenses.

†Miscellaneous income to the General Fund includes money being held for FCNL Lobbying Training project, refunds, etc.

‡Final cost for roof repair in October was $20,839.

 

 Prepared by Greg Cliburn, Treasurer

 

Treasurer's Report as of December 31, 2015 (Q2, Fiscal 2015-2016)

 

Operating Budget Income and Expense

 

 

 

Year to Date

Budget 2015-

2016

 

Remaining

INCOME

 

 

 

Donations to General Fund

$9,688.75

 

$23,000.00

 

$13,311.25

Transfer from Adult Education Fund*

$192.39

$100.00

($92.39)

Transfer from Future Planning Fund*

 

$500.00

$500.00

Transfer from New Meetinghouse Fund†

$2,093.43

$0.00

($2,093.43)

Transfer from Olmstead Fund*

 

$50.00

$50.00

Transfer from Turkle Fund*

 

$82.00

$82.00

Interest and miscellaneous income

$660.81

$150.00

($510.81)

TOTAL INCOME

$12,635.38

$23,882.00

$11,246.62

EXPENSE

 

 

 

Program

IMYM assessment

 

 

$3,600.00

 

$3,600.00

IMYM travel

 

$100.00

$100.00

NM Regional Meeting contribution

 

$375.00

$375.00

Scholarships

 

$2,500.00

$2,500.00

FDS staff

$1,380.00

$5,780.00

$4,400.00

FDS supplies

$151.03

$600.00

$448.97

Childcare

 

$100.00

$100.00

Teen programs

 

$100.00

$100.00

Young Friends

 

$100.00

$100.00

Adult education‡

$460.00

$700.00

$240.00

Web site maintenance and hosting

$60.00

$120.00

$60.00

Miscellaneous

 

$0.00

$0.00

SUBTOTAL Program

$2,051.03

$14,075.00

$12,023.97

Committees

Conscientious Objection

 

 

$50.00

 

$50.00

Finance

 

$5.00

$5.00

Future Planning

$2,093.43

$500.00

($1,593.43)

History

 

$100.00

$100.00

Library

 

$150.00

$150.00

Ministry and Counsel

 

$75.00

$75.00

Peace and Social Concerns

$22.46

$200.00

$177.54

Residence

 

$100.00

$100.00

Other

 

$100.00

$100.00

SUBTOTAL Committees

$2,115.89

$1,280.00

($835.89)

Meetinghouse

Advertising

 

 

$300.00

 

$300.00

Cleaning

$735.00

$1,200.00

$465.00

Garden

$1,005.82

$850.00

($155.82)

Insurance

$1,566.00

$3,000.00

$1,434.00

Supplies

$162.73

$600.00

$437.27

Utilities

$2,138.14

$4,500.00

$2,361.86

SUBTOTAL Meetinghouse

$5,607.69

$10,450.00

$4,842.31

TOTAL OPERATING EXPENSES

$9,774.61

$25,805.00

$16,030.39

NET

$2,860.77

($1,923.00)

 

 

*The budgeted amounts will be transferred from the Adult Education Fund, the Future Planning Fund, the Olmstead Fund, and the Turkle Fund as needed to support the budgeted expenses in the Adult Education, Future Planning, Conscientious Objection, and Library line items.

†Per the 05/2015 business meeting, money was transferred from the New Meetinghouse Fund to pay architect fees for a feasitiblity study of constructing a new building at the back of the Canyon Road property.

 

‡At the 10/2015 business meeting, the budget line item for Adult Education under Programs was increased to $700 from $100 to allow for retreat expenses.

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends

Treasurer's Report as of December 31, 2015 (Q2, Fiscal 2015-2016)

 

 

FUNDS ACTIVITY, FISCAL YEAR TO DATE Fund

 

 

Beginning Balance

 

 

Increase

 

 

Decrease

 

 

Net Change

 

 

Ending Balance

General

$10,542.50

$12,635.38

$9,774.61

$2,860.77

$13,403.27

Maintenance

$26,042.76

$5,218.28

$26,099.65

($20,881.37)

$5,161.39

Adult Education

$192.39

$0.00

$192.39

($192.39)

$0.00

Baumann Bequest Sequester

$56,560.00

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$56,560.00

Emergency Assistance

$2,463.00

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$2,463.00

Future Planning

$1,042.14

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$1,042.14

Land Sale Proceeds Sequester

$91,119.57

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$91,119.57

New Meetinghouse

$4,697.75

$0.00

$2,093.43

($2,093.43)

$2,604.32

New Meetinghouse Bricks and Mortar

$3,529.33

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$3,529.33

Olmstead (Conscientious Objection)

$161.90

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$161.90

Sufferings

$1,850.00

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$1,850.00

Turkle (Library)

$81.76

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$81.76

Young (Garden)

$387.00

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$387.00

TOTAL

$198,670.10

 

 

($20,306.42)

$178,363.68

BANK ACTIVITY, FISCAL YEAR TO DATE Account

 

Beginning Balance

 

Increase

 

Decrease

 

Net Change

 

Ending Balance

Checking

$58,138.83

$41,844.08

$95,874.26

($54,030.18)

$4,108.65

Money Market A

$98,457.85

$65,615.28

$1,000.00

$64,615.28

$163,073.13

Money Market B

$29,990.66

$5,218.28

$24,135.08

($18,916.80)

$11,073.86

CD B

$6,544.57

$3.51

$6,548.08

($6,544.57)

$0.00

CD C

$5,430.18

$12.58

$5,442.76

($5,430.18)

$0.00

Shares

$108.01

$0.03

$0.00

$0.03

$108.04

TOTAL

$198,670.10

 

 

($20,306.42)

$178,363.68

Notes:

CD B matured July 20 2015. CD C matured November 17, 2015. The balances were transferred to checking.

 

 

INCOME SUMMARY

 

Donations received (General Fund)

 

FISCAL YTD

 

$9,688.75

Transfers to General Fund from other funds

$2,285.82

Interest (General Fund)

$188.64

Miscellaneous income (General Fund)

$472.17

TOTAL (General Fund)

$12,635.38

Meetinghouse use (Maintenance Fund)

$528.00

Guest apartment use (Maintenance Fund)

$4,665.00

Interest (Maintenance Fund)

$25.28

TOTAL (Maintenance Fund)

$5,218.28

Notes:

Miscellaneous income to the General Fund includes money being held for the FCNL Lobbying Training project, refunds, etc.

 

 

                                    *                                   *                                   *

 

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends

Report of the Ad Hoc Committee for Access

01/17/2016

 

 

 

In December 2015, Clerk Katherine Youngmeister appointed an Ad Hoc Committee for Access to make recommendations about how we can most effectively carry out our commitment to accommodate wheelchair users and others with limited mobility at the 630 Canyon Road meetinghouse.  The committee consisted of Meeting member Greg Cliburn, Resident Friend Karli Wheeler, and visiting Friend Sarah Hawthorne, who has 30 years of professional experience with access issues.  We met on January 3, 2016, at the meetinghouse to review the physical setting and discuss issues and solutions.  We also had discussions with concerned Friends and the Building Committee.  We offer the following recommendations.

 

The Americans With Disabilities Act does not apply to religious buildings, and these recommendations are not intended to bring the meetinghouse into compliance with the ADA.  Rather, the intention is to remove barriers and send a clear message of welcome and inclusion in our meetings for worship and other gatherings.

 

1.  Interior wheelchair seating.  Space approximately 2.5 feet wide should be reserved in the meeting room for a wheelchair.  The best location for this space is not adjacent to the heater, but farther forward, so that the wheelchair’s metal parts and electronic controls are not affected by the heat, and the user is fully included with others in meeting for worship.  The reserved space should be demarcated on the floor with appropriate signage and blue painter’s tape, which does not leave a residue when removed.  Adequate clearance should be left in front of the wheelchair so that all seats can be accessed without the wheelchair user having to move.

 

2.  Access to reserved wheelchair seating.  An aisle at least 2.5 feet wide should be demarcated on the floor with blue painter’s tape and “keep clear” signage so that wheelchair users can get to and from the reserved wheelchair seating space.  Friend Margaret Stanicci’s longstanding practice of sitting hear the heater for health reasons should be honored, with the understanding that she may need to adjust her position to allow a wheelchair user to pass.  Otherwise, no chairs should be placed in this aisle.

 

3.  Additional reserved seating.  Optionally, chairs near the entrance may be reserved for persons with disabilities, as is done on public transportation.

 

4.  Release of reserved seating.  Unused reserved seating may be released for general use at an appropriate time after the start of meeting for worship.  We suggest that this be done when First Day School children and teachers leave, since there is already movement in the meeting room at that time.  A wheelchair user who arrives after the reserved space has been released may locate near the entrance as other latecomers do when there is no other available space.

 

5.  The door between the meeting room and the carport should be labeled with “accessible entrance” signage.

 

6.  Reserved parking for persons with disabilities.  The two (tandem) parking spaces in the carport should be explicitly reserved with appropriate signage for persons with disabilities when the meetinghouse is in use.  We have been informed that the aisle adjacent to these parking spaces is adequate for a power wheelchair to pass.  Meeting may consider asking the City of Santa Fe to add a “blue curb” reserved parking space in front of the meetinghouse.

 

7.  Restroom access.  The meetinghouse restroom may not be accessible to all wheelchair users.  It would be helpful to identify an accessible restroom at a nearby gallery to which a wheelchair user could be directed when necessary.

 

8.  Access assistant/partner.  Meeting should maintain a list of Access Partners for the greeter or closer to call on to assist wheelchair users who are unfamiliar with the meetinghouse.  Also, long-term Access Partners should be identified for regular attenders who use wheelchairs, to ensure that Meeting is responsive to their access needs.  These individuals can also help keep the reserved wheelchair space and other reserved seating free.

 

9.  Culture of inclusion.  Meeting should see access not just as a practical or logistical matter, but as an aspect of our ministry.  While we work to ensure physical access to the meetinghouse and address issues as they arise, we should develop a culture of inclusion that removes barriers of all kinds.

 

Submitted by the Ad Hoc Committee for Access

Greg Cliburn, Sarah Hawthorne, and Karli Wheeler

 

                                    *                                   *                                   *

 

 

BUILDING COMMITTEE AGENDA: LOOKING AT THE YEAR AHEAD

January 12, 2016

 

General.

The Maintenance Fund has approximately $5,000, generally what we have considered a minimum balance to be maintained for any unexpected/emergency expenditures.  This would provide a payout (including insurance deductible of $1,000) ahead of an insurance remittance. But until we rebuild the balance through guest apt. and group donations, our projects are limited in expenditures to fairly small scope, i.e. under, perhaps, $750 in the first six months.  However, the treasurer has assured us that funds could be transferred from the unallocated funds in the general Meeting budget if necessary.

 

Main building.

--Garage canale winter drainage remains. Restore heat tape technology?

--Repair guest apt. screen door with added heavy duty mesh for lower panel. (Ross Pope has agreed to add this to completing window upgrades of ramada.)

--Further discussion with action plan for securing paintings, artifacts and furniture and overall security, including cameras and alarms.

--Completion of low level handgrip installation for FD schoolroom doorway.

--Develop process for re-organizing storage areas and sorting of stored items.

--Reorganizing meetingroom seating with attention to disabled access. 

--Again review best practice for deep cleaning and preserving wooden floor in guest apt.

--Summer cooling: what alternatives do we have for the few really hot First Days?

--Skylight specifications.

--East wall buttress removal.

--Electric consumption puzzle: Dec. billing twice year ago Dec. consumption. 

--Other…

 

Ramada.

--Site visit to see completed work of windows, doorway, added clear panel to storeroom skylight and remaining tasks.

--Heating/cooling issues.

--Age of washing machine. Drain cleanout?

--Review replacement of hot water tank with tankless unit.

 

Other: Non-horticultural garden issues.

--Garden furniture restoration and preservation, esp. wooden benches.

--Preservation of small Olive Rush fresco within northwest coyote fence niche.

--Covered space for recycle/trash containers.

--Short of new building, seasonal/temporary protected meeting space for FD school (mid-April-early Nov.)

 

Long term considerations.

--Restoration of south garage doors.

--Installation of solar panels on main building roof.

--Improved heating/cooling.

--Review accessibility beyond mobility: audio, vision

 

 

 

 

                                    *                                   *                                   *

 

 

 

Report to Monthly Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Committee on Ministry and Counsel

Santa Fé Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

17 January 2016

 

For Action:

·         Query for Second Month: “How do I share my deepest beliefs within the Meeting and the wider world?” [Adapted from IMYM Faith and Practice, p. 130]

For Information:

·         The Committee on Ministry and Counsel continued a discussion on how Meeting can organize itself in a more routine manner to offer mutual care in times of need. The list of tasks, modified since first considered last October, will be brought to business meeting by the Presiding Clerk.

·         M&C is preparing memorial minutes for Ford Robbins, Steve Spencer, and Shirl Olmstead.

New Business:

·         The Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion will present a report of its findings and recommendations to business meeting.

·         Friends are reminded of ‘Meeting for Muffins’ social time between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. worship on the 5th First Day of this month (31 January).

 

 

 

*                                   *                                   *

 

SFMM Peace and Social Concerns

FCNL Advocacy Workshop at W21

January 9 – 11, 2016

 

This SFMM Peace and Social Concerns cover letter describing our process and outcomes of the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) interfaith advocacy workshop on mass incarceration augments Tom Vaughan’s report.  To receive Tom’s excellent report (with pictures) email a request to pam@dtbprojects

 

THE LEADING

As do many who attend our Quaker yearly meeting, (IMYM), I take time to sit at the FCNL table and write letters to my congressional delegation on justice issues that touch my life and lives of others in our wider community.  I have noticed, and it warms my heart to see it, that young people also participate in this FCNL activity, including at least one youth from our Santa Fe meeting. Noticing this interest, led me to think of ways we as a meeting might encourage more young people to participate in the work of FCNL.

And the stars lined up or, as we Quakers would say, way opened.  In the spring of 2015 the Interfaith Social Justice Network, for which I served as SFMM representative, decided to plan events for youth to learn about citizen lobbying.

 

THE DISCERNMENT

I brought the leading to our SFMM Peace and Social Concerns committee.  After a brief time of discernment we took on the youth advocacy training project using a modified version of the Peer Group format for mutual spiritual support and accountability.

 

THE SUPPORT

Thanks goes to the planning team: Holly Beaumont, David Henkel, Wyn Lewis, Kate Marco, Kitty Sherlock and Tom Vaughan.  Many people and local businesses contributed to the success of this event as well: our local congressional staff, Warehouse 21, Backroad Pizza, Upper Crust Pizza, Coca Cola, Collected Works and O’Hori’s Coffee.  On Sunday there were contributions of soup to an already elegant brunch; on Saturday Ann Anthony’s delicious cookies disappeared in a matter of seconds.

Co-sponsors advertised the events: the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, Santa Fe Interfaith Leadership Alliance, Veterans for Peace, Santa Fe Chapter, People for Peace; and the Social Justice Team of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Santa Fe

 

THE EVENTS

Of the 53 attending Saturday’s workshop about 35 were youth.  See Tom’s report for the glowing details.

On Sunday, fifteen or so attended the Santa Fe Friends luncheon and presentation given by Ellen Short, FCNL staff.

 

*                                   *                                   *

 

 

First Day School Committee Report for the January 17th Business Meeting

 

The FDS Committee met on January 10th, 2016 After many years of incredible service Marty is planning to retire from being the FDS teacher in June of this year. Beverly is interested in continuing under the current model of having two FDS teachers and having the FDS be a place of teaching and guiding and not a just a place for babysitting. Therefore the FDS committee will be looking for a new FDS teacher that Beverly can “train”. Some found it important that this new teacher be interested in working with teens as there is a critical mass of teens as regular attenders. Marty will continue to use the portal on occasion to have a book group with the teens. So far there have been no complaints that they are being too noisy. If there is access to a space heater that might make the space more livable for them. There is renewed interest in having childcare for business meeting and $100 left in the budget to cover this. Beverly and Heather are interested in being involved in helping organize this.

 

 

                                    *                                   *                                   *

 

 

 

Resident Friend’s Report for Twelfth Month 2015

 

The Resident Friend served the Meeting for approximately 12 hours per week, mainly in general housekeeping and meetings with Friends. 

 

I have scheduled a vacation out of state from February 6-14, and will ask fellow Friends to help support the transition of guests between February 10 and 11.

 

Special tasks included:

 

●     Continued conversations with possible cleaners and chose Friend Brooke Sutor to partner with the shared vision of care and cleanliness for the meetinghouse, including the guest apartment.

●     Happy to say there were no needs to facilitate work with any contractors!

 

And the usual:

●     cleaned the driveway and sidewalks of snow!

●     did laundry at the laundromat, since it’s too cold to dry clothes outside,

●     cleaned and preparing the guest apartment,

●     responded to phone calls and email inquiries,

●     booked the guest apartment,

●     collected donations and gave them to Finance,

●     purchased supplies,

●     cleaned the meetinghouse after worship and AA meetings,

●     collected and distributed the mail,

●     handled the trash and recycling.

 

Guest apartment occupancy: 17/30 nights

The good news is that bookings are steadily occurring for February and March!

 

 

                                    *                                   *                                   *

 --

Members and attenders can sign up for one or more of the Meeting's three email lists by request to the Editors at <sfmeeting@gmail.com>. Please be sure to indicate in your email which of the lists you would like to receive. 

Monthly Newsletter List:
Sent at the beginning of the month and includes a calendar of meeting events and minutes from Monthly Business Meeting. 

Announcement and Weekly Digest List:
Announcements include urgent messages, such as requests by members or attenders for assistance or announcements of immediate interest to the Meeting. Items which are not urgent will be sent on Tuesday in a Weekly Digest.  Events of other organizations may be included if they directly relate to issues or concerns with which Meeting is engaged.  An item will ordinarily run only once, but may be run once more upon request.

Peace and Social Concerns:

The P&SC Digest connects you with the work of FCNL, AFSC, our local Interfaith Social justice Network and your leadings and concerns. Please send items for the P&SC Digest to Pam Gilchrist <pam@dtbprojects.com>.

 

Document Actions