Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2015 Newsletters / July 2015 Letter to Friends

July 2015 Letter to Friends

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Seventh Month 2015

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m., 2098 Calle Ensenada on the northwest corner of Siringo Road. 

 

Sunday, 7/05 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting @ Canyon Rd., Peace & Social Concerns thereafter

Sunday, 7/12 9:30 Chanting as Preparation for Worship @ Southside Meetinghouse

Sunday, 7/19 12:30 12:30 Business Meeting at the rise of Meeting @ Canyon Rd.

Sunday, 7/26 10:10 Chanting as Preparation for Worship @ Canyon Rd. Meetinghouse

 

The Monthly Query for the 7th month, 2015

 

How do I prepare myself for worship? Do I set aside time during the week to strengthen my spirit?” (IMYM F&P, p 118, Q1)

Announcements

July 1 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 6:00pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906 or lhibbs@ cybermesa.com

July 5 – Monthly Potluck occurs at the rise of the 11:00 meeting. Please bring a dish to share and stay for a potluck in the library.

July 5 – Peace & Social Concerns will meet immediately following the potluck on Canyon Road. Please consider joining this important committee.

 

July 12 & 26 – Singing as preparation for worship.  Singing on 2nd and 4th Sundays: Feb 8th at  9:30am at Quaker House (quakerhousesantafe.org) and Feb 22th at 10:00am at the Meetinghouse on Canyon Rd.  We sing simple chants and hymns, repeating the lines for memorization and for the pleasure of the music. For information, please contact Guthrie Miller  954-4224 or John Kretzmann 988-2152.

 

July 13- Ministry and Counsel Committee meets at 5:30 p.m. at Quaker House, 2098 Calle Ensenada.  Anyone wanting to meet with M & C should contact Allen Winchester , allen14w@cybermesa.com, Clerk of M & C.

July 19 - Business meeting for Worship will meet at the rise of the 11:00 meeting.

July 24 – “Gallery in the Garden”, Friday Art Walk on Canyon Road and the Garden Committee will sponsor artists in the garden from 5:00 to 7:00. 1st Day School is invited to host lemonade and bake sale. Please plan to attend.

Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Sixth Month (June 21, 2015)

 

Present: Jan-Willem Jansens (Clerk), Peggy Giltrow (Recording Clerk), Nichoe Lichen, Bob Gaines, David Giltrow, Carol Woodsong, Janie Cravens, Allen Winchester, Wyn Lewis, Linda Hibbs, Elliott Skinner, Betsy Lombardi, John Kretzmann, Katherine Youngmeister, Pam Gilchrist, Philip Balcombe, Marty Carroll

Meeting began with a short period of silence at 12:55 p.m. The inspirational reading was from p. 120 of the IMYM Faith and Practice Advices on Monthly Meeting:

2. All members are encouraged to attend meetings for business and to be faithful in the service of the meeting’s affairs. Appointments of office holders and committee members are most successful when made with careful consideration of the qualifications of the nominees and of the opportunities for growth that may be afforded. This is especially important when considering young Friends. In our meetings for business and in all the duties connected with them, we are charged to make conscientious use of our gifts….

5. A deep and seeking silence can help reconcile seemingly opposing points of view. Be willing to wait upon God as long as may be necessary. By holding division and disruption in the Light, meetings may shift toward stronger and more creative solutions.

The Clerk read the proposed agenda for Sixth month. The report of the Building and Garden Committees were postponed. Otherwise the agenda was accepted as read.

Minutes for Fifth Month 2015 Business Meeting were approved with the following correction to the Peace and Social Concerns report: “Reuben Laznovsky reported that Amnesty International is again looking at the case of Leonard Peltier.”

 

First Day School Committee--please see full report in Appendix A

 

The First Day School Committee requests $2,080 for the coming fiscal year to add a second person to work with children on First Day. The experiment of the last several months, hiring Beverley Weiler to provide child care for the youngest children so that Marty can provide a structured program for the older ones, has been a real success. The Committee also considered how best to welcome and accommodate new parents.

 

The First Day teacher explained the background of the request. One Friend asked if the request would give First Day School two paid staff if approved. The answer was yes; extending the current successful experiment. Meeting accepted the First Day School report. Approval of the FDS budget request was postponed until the approval of the 2015-2016 budget, later on the agenda.

 

Nominating Committee—Please see Appendix B for the list of those who have agreed to fill committee positions to date. The full report is entered below, as read.

 

The nominating committee has continued to consider ways to fill positions and committees of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. We are pleased to bring forward the name of a fifth person for Ministry and Council as well as to clarify conveners and participants on several committees. We note that M&C is now composed of three attenders of the 9:00 Meeting, one who attends the 11:00 Meeting, and one who regularly attends both Canyon Road and South Santa Fe. Several positions remain unfilled, including the very crucial position of recording clerk. Several committees are in need of committee members, with the strength of those committees depending on the robust participation of caring members and attenders. The meeting’s representatives to regional, yearly and national organizations have yet to be named. We seek wisdom and Light as we consider unconventional ways to fill these positions.

 

The committee is grateful for all those who have served the Meeting so faithfully this last year.

 

Meeting accepted the report of the Nominating Committee.

 

The slate of nominations for 2015-2016 was read. Meeting approved those listed for Second Reading. It was noted that the position of Recorder had not been listed among those in the second readings, although it was listed in the first readings last month, and that was approved as well. The name of Carol Woodsong was given a first reading for Ministry and Counsel. Meeting committees with conveners were read and accepted with thanks. It was noted that Carlie Newfeld is also a member of the Residence committee. One Friend noted that a Recording Clerk is still needed. The committee asked for volunteers or suggestions for that position.

 

After a short period of worshipful silence, The Treasurer’s report of General Fund Finances as of June 19 was read silently by Meeting. It can be seen in full in Appendix C.

 

Donations to the General Fund in May and June totaled $7,388, following the report that not enough money had been received to pay for budgeted Good Works for the fiscal year. In addition to two quite significant donations (one earmarked for Good works), Friends responded with a number of smaller donations as well. The Treasurer’s report was accepted.

 

Meeting in May had asked the Treasurer to hold Good Works payments until it was clear how much would come in. The good news is that while expenses for the 2014-15 fiscal year have totaled about $25,000, donations to date have totaled about $27,000 (not including the Corneli donation). Concern was expressed about how much money would be available in July for ongoing expenses, as well as the larger problem that continuing local contributions have not been sufficient to meet our current budget. One Friend asked that reports for Business Meeting be made available to Friends online in advance, so that they may be read and considered before discussion begins.

 

Meeting approved the following Minute: Business Meeting agrees to ask the Treasurer to pay the remaining total of $3,450.00 budgeted for Good Works in fiscal 2014-2015, using $1,750 from money currently available in the General Fund, as well as the recent $1,700 donation earmarked for Good Works.

 

The Finance Committee report was read aloud. The full report can be seen in Appendix D.

 

The Finance Committee now consists of Treasurer Greg Cliburn, Bob Gaines, Janie Cravens and Katherine Youngmeister. The report, a recommendation, was offered for information, with the intent to return to a future Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business for further discussion. Based on comments from the May worship sharing on how to hold the funds received from the Baumann estate and the land sale, it seems that Friends would be easy putting that money in a socially-responsible fund until the Meeting determines how it is to be used. Information was given on the investment funds and strategy of the Friends Fiduciary Corporation. The committee asked that Meeting consider the following suggestions: 1. Move all bequest and sale proceeds into Friends Fiduciary Corporation. 2. Consolidate the Meeting’s two money market fund accounts at Guadalupe Credit Union into one account.

 

Friends asked about specifics of the Friends Fiduciary Corporation funds: longevity, composition, how well funds have done, administrative costs, etc. The Clerk asked Friends who have questions to look at the FFC web site, or to call or email Bob Gaines (466-1746; gaines2166@gmail.com). Meeting agreed to consider this item again at next month’s business meeting. The report was accepted, with lots of thanks to Bob Gaines.

 

Proposed Operating Budget for fiscal year 2015-16. Please see link at http://sf.imym.org/finance/opbudget2015-16

 

The proposed Operating Budget was presented last month. With the addition of $2,080 requested by First Day School today, the total would rise from $23,125 to $25,205. Bob Gaines pointed out that this is only the Operating Budget. It does not include Good Works or the Building Committee’s Maintenance Budget. While Meeting received a bit over $27,000 (plus the one-time Corneli donation) for the General Fund this current fiscal year, the Finance Committee feels that we could anticipate more income if the need were explained.

 

Discussion included a request for the Treasurer to let Meeting know the General Fund balance as of July 1 and a request to explain the distinction between building expenses in the General Fund (cleaning, garden, insurance, supplies, utilities) and the Maintenance Fund (roof, plumbing repairs, etc.) and source of Maintenance Fund income (payments for use of building and Guest Apartment). Meeting approved the Operating Budget as read at the May Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business and updated to include the First Day School request of today.

 

Action on the proposed Good Works Budget for 2015-16 was held over to the July Business Meeting at the Clerk’s request. At the May Business Meeting, Meeting agreed to discuss how to deal with the Corneli donation in the June Business Meeting. Several proposals were suggested, including the Finance Committee’s that the whole $10,000 be given to Good Works, that it be split evenly between Good Works and the General Fund, that it be discussed in conjunction with the Good Works budget next month, and that it be kept in the General Fund and used as a cushion. The Clerk asked that we season this question, and hold the discussion over to next month.

 

Report from South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group

 

Nichoe Lichen reported that, although SSFQWG has no treasurer at the moment, they are updating the way they do financial reports and trying to make them easier to understand. Erin Trujillo is doing the books. New people are arriving all the time, and they have the best refreshments! Minutes of the SSQWG’s monthly business meeting, held every 4th Sunday after 10:30 worship and refreshments, are available to anyone who wants them. Please ask at QuakerHouseSF@gmail.com

Meeting accepted the report with thanks.

 

Ministry and Counsel Committee—Please see full report in Appendix E

 

Ministry and Counsel met June 15, 2015 at Quaker House. The committee considered a request from South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group to become a Preparative Meeting under the Care of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting, and recommends that SFMM recognize SSFQWG as a preparative meeting. The committee also proposes the formation of a committee to strengthen our spiritual community by clarifying relationships, the business interface, and how SFMM could assist with care needs of the preparative meeting. M&C also heard an update by the Clerk of SFMM regarding a proposed Working Group to study corporate finance, decision making and other issues of SFMM, its meetings and worship groups; observations on the spiritual life of meeting and worship groups; and reports from members who attended IMYM. The committee expressed appreciation for outgoing members Jan-Willem Jansens, Karen Kuranz, Margy Willen and Allen Winchester.

 

The proposed query for Seventh Month is: “How do I prepare myself for Worship? Do I set aside time during the week to strengthen my Spirit?“ (IMYM Faith and Practice, Query 1, p. 118)

 

Meeting accepted the M&C report. Meeting approved the Query for Seventh Month.

 

Meeting discussed at length South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group’s request and Ministry and Counsel’s recommendation that SSFQWG become a Preparative Meeting under the care of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. Quotations immediately below are from the full M&C report reproduced in Appendix E:

 

South Santa Fe created this Minute: “South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group has reached clearness about and asks to be recognized as a Preparative Meeting under the care of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. Through the preparative process we seek to deepen our spiritual growth and development as a meeting.”

 

M&C thoroughly discussed this request and composed this Minute: Ministry and Counsel Committee recommends that SFMM recognize SSFQWG as a preparative meeting. M&C also proposes the formation of a committee tasked with 1) strengthening our spiritual community by clarifying the relationships between Quaker House attenders and SFMM members/attenders and the business interface between Quaker House and SFMM, and 2) exploring the current and ongoing care needs of the preparative meeting and how SFMM could assist with these care needs.

 

Concerns expressed in the Meeting’s discussion included a widely felt need for time for seasoning this major decision; a need for more information (on roles and responsibilities, meaning of “under the care”--not clear in IMYM Faith and Practice); clearness on what can be done differently (based on history with Chamisa Preparative Meeting) to help this new Meeting be fully birthed; what are expectations on both sides; clarity on the structure of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting as a meeting for all—not just Canyon Road.

 

Representatives attending from SSFQWG pointed out that the Worship Group has been under the care of SFMM for eight years. Oversight has been almost non-existent, but neither the worship group nor monthly meeting really noticed. Late last year the Clerk realized that the Worship Group is actually fulfilling many functions beyond the normal scope of worship groups: incorporation, property ownership, business meetings, care for spiritual development of many new attenders. SSFQWG would like to align the truth of the title with what they are doing. Canyon Road has been SFMM for 60 years. It is a challenge for all of us to think differently.

 

Acknowledging the need for time to think rather than resist the request, Friends agreed to, individually and at future Meetings for Worship with Attention to Business, season the recommendation of Ministry and Counsel to approve the request from South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group to become a Preparative Meeting under the care of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends.

Friends are urged to look at sources which can prove helpful in the seasoning process: IMYM and other Faith and Practices, resources on the Friends General Conference resources web site:

Questions and Guidelines for Becoming a Monthly Meeting: http://www.fgcquaker.org/resources/questions-and-guidelines-becoming-monthly-meeting

Guidelines for Meetings with Worship Groups Under their Care: http://www.fgcquaker.org/sites/www.fgcquaker.org/files/attachments/Guidelines%20for%20Meetings%20with%20Worship%20Groups%20under%20their%20Care.pdf

 Starting a New Quaker Worship Group or Meeting: http://www.fgcquaker.org/resources/starting-new-quaker-worship-group-or-meeting),

and the Clerk’s Analysis of the Organizational Structure of SFMM (Appendix F of these minutes).

Friends are asked to formulate possible requests to M&C or other committees to help clarify what this action would mean to all involved.

The request will be held over to the next Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business.

 

Clerk’s Analysis of the Organizational Structure of Santa Fe Friends Meeting--Please see full report in Appendix F (which includes the text read at Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business plus, as per Friends’ requests, a piece not read about the SFMM definition and SFMM as a spiritual community.)

 

The Clerk proposes the formation of a working group to review the SFMM organizational and financial structure in relation to the various places of worship and segments of members and attenders. He suggests it is important to distinguish between 1. Concerns pertaining to overall Santa Fe Monthly Meeting 2. Concerns specific to Canyon Road. 3. Concerns of each worship group.

 

One Friend felt the proposal was apt, but a committee would only be helpful if people were not clear on relationships. SFMM began with one Meeting, but has morphed into a Meeting with worship groups in different locations and stages of development. He asked that the person who closes Worship at Canyon Road welcome people to the Canyon Road Meeting, not to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends. Such distinctions can help us discover ourselves differently from what we were before. Another Friend pointed out that some committees, such as Peace and Social Concerns, function for the whole of SFMM, not just for Canyon Road.

 

Still another looks forward to seeing the proposal posted online so that it can be viewed at leisure. He missed a spiritual dimension in this discussion of meetings and lives. The Clerk agrees the spiritual community needs to be front and center, and was only left out in this presentation in the interest of brevity. Several Friends ask that the spiritual aspects be added back into the published report. Meeting agreed to consider the suggestions over time. Worship continued with silence.

 

Peace and Social Concerns Committee Report.-- Please see full report in Appendix G

 

The committee met June 7 and discussed support for a half-day Youth Lobby training, an initiative of the Interfaith Social Justice Network, which may be held in September. FCNL may do another for SFMM and other northern New Mexico youth in January, with a possible concurrent event for adults. “Rekindling the Fire” will be discussed in July. Adam Ward suggests a teach-in on the TTP.

 

Meeting accepted the report.

 

Future Planning Committee Report—Please see full report in Appendix H

 

The Future Planning Committee, met with architects Jan Wisniewski and Loren Tryk on June 17, and discussed City of Santa Fe parking requirements, as well as an “Open House” for neighbors at which to discuss the conceptual plan and preliminary drawings (based on 1994 plans drawn by L.D. Burke). A few committee members plan to meet with Dianne Leavitt, co-trustee of the Alice Parrot property, to discuss the idea of granting Meeting access to the rear of the Meeting property.

 

Meeting accepted the report with gratitude

 

Resident Friend’s Report for Fifth Month—please see full report in Appendix I

 

The Resident Friend served the Meeting for approximately 19 hours per week during Fifth Month. The list of tasks included the routine, as well as assisting with Dangerfield Ashton’s memorial service, making signs for the upcoming Gallery in the Garden evenings, purchasing a toaster and second bedspread for the guest apartment, helping Rowan set up the new picnic table in the ramada, assisting Young Friends in weeding and planting the vegetable garden, and many other garden tasks. He thanked Friends for replacing the refrigerator in the meetinghouse kitchen and another for the loan of her car to enable him to make purchases. The Guest Apartment was occupied 16 out of a possible 30 nights. Income from the guest apartment and use of the Meetinghouse was $1,234.

 

A Friend reported that David Murphy said “I want to leave things perfect and easy for the new resident.” His report and all his work for the Meeting were accepted with great gratitude.

 

Meeting continued with silence.

 

The Communication Committee reported that James Hogan and Rebecca Miles will be taking over from Marcy Pompei, who will focus on the Garden. Meeting thanked Marcy, who has done a wonderful job for a long time as Editor of Newsletter and Digests, and Bob Gaines for doing the Meeting web site on IMYM and keeping the directories up to date. Karli Wheeler, the new Resident Friend, is interested in re-doing Meeting’s stand-alone web site.

 

Clerk’s Report for March 14-June 21, 2015--Please see full report in Appendix J

 

In addition to his regular activities, the Clerk wrote an analysis document for SFMM, assisted with IMYM information and finance issues, wrote a recommendation letter for David Murphy, facilitated explorations about a future location for Mountain Friends Camp, and facilitated logistics for the memorial ceremony for Daingerfield Ashton.

 

Meeting thanked the Clerk for all his work during the past three years. His report was accepted with great gratitude.

 

New Business

 

IMYM.

 

The need for more support for IMYM finances and suggested ways to do it were presented at rise of Meeting for Worship this morning. More will be forthcoming.

 

Pam Gilchrist is the new co-clerk for programming for IMYM, along with Paula Palmer.

 

Neighboring Faiths Fiesta Set for Aug. 29:  Mark your calendars now for the Neighboring Faiths Fiesta on Saturday, Aug. 29, 12-4 p.m. in the parking lot of St. John’s United Methodist Church, Old Pecos Trail at Cordova Road. Sponsored by the Interfaith Leadership Alliance, the free block party-styled event will include booths representing Santa Fe congregations, plus food, music and entertainment for adults and children. It’s a great chance to meet your “neighbors in faith” and celebrate the diverse faith traditions in our community.

This presents an opportunity for SFMM to communicate our values to the larger world. Possibly Quaker Quest can be involved; other ideas are welcomed.

 

Friends thanked the Recording Clerk and Shelley Cohen and John Kretzmann, who have substituted for her during the last two years.

 

Announcements

 

David Giltrow reported on Lila Brooks’ work in scanning the three ledger books containing Santa Fe Monthly Meeting’s Minutes, from the initial meeting in 1948 to 1978. Lila did the project as her senior public service internship for Santa Fe Prep. She continues to work to turn the digital documents into archival .pdf format which could be accepted by Quaker archives. So far $30 has been spent for supplies. The next stage will be scanning of post 1978 Minutes. In addition to thanking Lila, he thanked Marguerite Kearns for initiating contact with Quaker archives and helping with this project, as did Bettina Rafael and Rebecca Allahyari.

 

The Clerk thanked Meeting for their support, feedback, and care over the past three years.

 

Meeting closed with silence at 3:50 p.m.

 

APPENDICES

 

Appendix A

First Day School Meeting report: Sunday June 21, 2015

In Attendance: Allen, Beverly, Marty, Ariel, Brooke and Brad.

 

Budget for second teacher: It is going very well so far having Beverly as an on call second teacher.

She estimates that she teaches about 2/3 of the time. It would be hard to go back to having just one

teacher. She has mostly spent her time with the toddlers but we also discussed spending some of the

second teacher resources on a more cohesive teen program. We decided to ask business meeting to

approve $2,080 to have a second teacher for the next year.

 

Teens: could they meet at a separate time or separate location? What about sound proofing the portal

area with a curtain or second door?

 

How to be welcoming to new parents: How do we welcome new parents without evangelizing or

putting pressure on them? We did not have much time for this but we started to think about how to

make sure we are supporting our parents, especially new ones.

 

Appendix B

Committee positions brought forward for second reading, sixth month, 6/21/15

 

Clerk: Katherine Youngmeister (thru 11/2015)

Assistant Clerk: Marguerite Kearns (thru 11/15)

Treasurer: Greg Cliburn

Ministry and Counsel: David Henkel

Recorder: Philip Balcombe

 

Committee positions brought forward for first reading:

Ministry and Counsel: Carol Woodsong

 

Meeting committees with conveners:

Archivist: David Giltrow

Building: David Giltrow (convener) Lester Maas, Bettina Raphael, John Kretzmann

Adult Education: under construction

Building: David Giltrow (convener) Lester Maas, Bettina Raphael, John Kretzmann

Communications: Rebecca Miles and James Hogan

Conscientious Objection: Howard Schulman

Finance: Bob Gaines (convener) Janie Cravens

Future Planning: Frank Hirsch (convener), John Kretzmann, Bettina Raphael

Garden: Marcie Pompei, Ariel Harrison

Good Works: David Henkel, Irene Webb

History: David Giltrow

Hospitality: Jan-Willem Jansens and weekly volunteers

Library: Jonathan Ashworth, (convener) Brooke and Brad Sutor

Ministry and Counsel: Anne Lindsey, Betsy Lombardi, Howard Shulman

Nominating Committee: Karen Kuranz, Wyn Lewis, Njoroge Tho-Biaz

Residence: Marty Carroll (convener thru 12/15). Marcie Pompei, Ariel Harrison, John Kretzmann, Guthrie Miller, Carlie Newfeld

Peace and Social Concerns: Pam Gilchrist

Watching: David Giltrow, Bettina Raphael, John Kretzmann

Young Friends: Ariel Harrison (convener)

 

Appendix C

Treasurer's Report

June 19, 2015

Prepared by Greg Cliburn and Bob Gaines

 

General Fund finances as of June 19:

 

Donations received, year to date: $37,332 (including the Corneli $10k)

Payments, year to date: $25,266

 

Donations in April: $1,676

Donations in May: $3,353

Donations in June: $4,035

 

Total in the General Fund (not counting the Baumann bequest, land sale proceeds): $14,298

 

NOTE this General Fund total includes $1,700 in donations restricted to Good Works, leaving $12,598 unrestricted.

 

Total budgeted for Good Works, excluding As Needs Arise: $5,625

Total spent on Good Works, excluding As Needs Arise: $2,175

Budged Good Works spending not yet done, excluding As Needs Arise: $3,450

Remaining after spending $1,700 restricted donation: $1,750

 

Meeting needs to decide how much of this $1,750, if any, we can afford to pay out of the unrestricted $12,598 in the General Fund.

 

Total in the bank for the General and Maintenance Funds and for the donor-restricted funds:  $201,790

 

Appendix D

Finance Committee Report
June 21, 2015

Prepared by Bob Gaines

Comments in the May worship sharing on how to hold the funds received from the Baumann estate and the land sale indicated that Friends would be easy using a socially-responsible fund until the Meeting determines how they are to be used.

The Friends Fiduciary Corporation (
http://www.friendsfiduciary.org/) is "a Quaker non-profit organization providing cost effective, professional, socially responsible investment management services exclusively to Quaker meetings, churches, schools and organizations. FFC manages over $325 Million in co-mingled funds for 320 constituents across the country."

FFC says "Quaker testimonies and values guide Friends Fiduciary's investment activities in three primary ways:  we actively screen out companies that do not meet our Quaker values investing criteria; we engage in shareholder advocacy by dialoging directly with companies, filing shareholder proposals and voting our proxies, consistent with Quaker values on environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues; and we share our unique, and under-represented Quaker business perspective on important policy issues."

FFC has 3 funds which could meet our needs: Consolidated Fund (a basic balanced fund), Quaker Green Fund (balanced with a focus on renewables and no fossil stocks), and the Short Term Investment Fund.

The Consolidated Fund and the Quaker Green Fund do not have minimum initial investments or withdrawals. The Short Term Investment Fund has a $25,000 minimum initial investment and a $5,000 minimum withdrawal.  All allow immediate withdrawals, which means that the entire amount of the bequest and land sale proceeds could be invested at FFC and be available for Meeting use.

The Green and Consolidated funds are "balanced" stock and bond funds, but because of the high percentage of stocks (70-75%), they would be considered more volatile and thus more risky than an average balanced fund.  However, the return may be higher when the stock market is rising and the economy is performing well.

The Short Term Investment Fund is 97% government and corporate bonds and 3% in a money market fund, so it is much less volatile.  Returns are more like those of CDs.

The committee suggests that the Meeting consider the following:

*Moving all of the bequest and sale proceeds into Friends Fiduciary Corporation -- in addition to perhaps increasing the return, this would also assure those concerned about the integrity of the 2 pools of money.

*Consolidating the Meeting's two money market fund accounts at Guadalupe CU into one account will make it easier for the treasurer to manage our bank accounts without affecting our ability to track Meeting's various designated funds.

If the Meeting decides to utilize the Friends Fiduciary Corporation, the Finance Committee, in consultation with those interested, will make recommendations about which FFC funds to use.

 

Appendix E

M & C Report to SFMM Meeting for Business for June 21, 2015

Ministry and Counsel Committee met June 15, 2015 at Quaker House. Present: Allen Winchester, Clerk, Howard Shulman, Recording Clerk, Karen Kuranz, Betsy Lombardi, Margy Willen and Jan-Willem Jansens, ex-officio member. Ann Lindsay was unable to attend.

Query for Seventh Month: How do I prepare myself for Worship? Do I set aside time during the week to strengthen my Spirit? (IMYM Faith and Practice: Worship – Queries, #1 / Page 118)

Request from South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group to become a Preparative Meeting Under the Care of SFMM: SSFQWG met on May 31, 2015 and discussed the Clerk of SFMM’s suggestion of October 2014 that they discern whether to remain a worship group or become a preparative meeting under the care of SFMM. It should be noted that because SSFQWG is incorporated, own their own meeting house and have meetings for business, they fit more closely to the description of a preparative meeting than a worship group as described in “IMYM Faith and Practice.” After discussion and discernment, South Santa Fe created this Minute: *South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group has reached clearness about and asks to be recognized as a Preparative Meeting under the care of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. Through the preparative process we seek to deepen our spiritual growth and development as a meeting.”

M&C thoroughly discussed this request and composed this Minute: Ministry and Counsel Committee recommends that SFMM recognize SSFQWG as a preparative meeting.  M&C also proposes the formation of a committee tasked with 1) strengthening our spiritual community by clarifying the relationships between Quaker House attenders and SFMM members/attenders and the business interface between Quaker House and SFMM, and 2) exploring the current and ongoing care needs of the preparative meeting and how SFMM could assist with these care needs.

In addition SSFQWG responded to last fall’s request by SFMM clerk and the clerk of M & C to discern: 1) What parity (or reciprocity) would be desirable between (on the one hand) the privileges of worship groups and their members to be part of SFMM Business Meeting Processes and to be potential beneficiaries of support from SFMM, and (on the other hand) the responsibilities of worship groups and their members in sharing business aspects about their worship groups in general and/or as questions arise in business meeting?

SSFQWG’s response: “We provide monthly financial statements and minutes of our monthly business meetings to the clerk of SFMM, the clerk of M&C and to anyone who asks to receive them. We welcome all who wish to attend

our business meetings. A representative often attends SFMM business meeting. As a preparative meeting we anticipate requesting guidance and support in spiritual and practical matters from those at SFMM. In regards to paying assessments or contributing financially to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting we encourage those who are members of SFMM to contribute to the monthly meeting for Yearly and Regional assessments and to the good works.”

A second request for discernment: “What processes and relationships need to be developed and nurtured to grow our unity and to further Quakerism in the Santa Fe area?” was tabled by SSFQWG due to lack of time.

Incorporation Working Group Proposal: M&C heard an update by the Clerk of SFMM regarding a proposed Working Group to study corporate finance, decision making and other issues of SFMM, its meetings and worship groups.

Observations on the Spiritual Life of the Meeting and Worship Groups: 9AM Meeting: Friends continue to appreciate the depth of our worship and new folks continue to join us for worship. 11AM Meeting: There has been rich vocal ministry speaking to the Fifth Month’s Query based on a quote from Isaac Pennington. QH: Friends continue to deepen their connections through their worship and fellowship. Las Vegas Worship Group: Approximately 4 folks gather on a monthly basis. No new information was provided about Taos, Los Alamos, and Tres Piedras Worship Groups.

In addition M & C heard reports from several members who attended IMYM. Nominations Committee reported that David Henkel has been nominated to join M & C, but no other nominees have been found. Appreciation was expressed for outgoing members including Jan-Willem, Karen, Margy and Allen.

The next M & C Meeting is tentatively set for Monday, July 13, at 5:30 p.m. at Quaker House. We adjourned at 8:40PM with silence.

Appendix F

SANTA FE MONTHLY MEETING OF FRIENDS

Clerk’s Analysis of the Organizational Structure of SFMM

June 20, 2015

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends as a Spiritual Community

The term Santa Fe Monthly Meeting (SFMM) of Friends stands for two concepts: (1) the SFMM Spiritual Community (all individuals attending SFMM-affiliated meetings for worship and worship groups); and (2) the Monthly Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business in Santa Fe. In theory we hope that there is 100% overlap between these two concepts, in that all members and attenders of the Spiritual Community of SFMM are invited and encouraged to attend the Monthly Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business. As a spiritual community, SFMM members and attenders worship together in expectant waiting for guidance from the Spirit in individual discernment and in the discernment of corporate matters in the Monthly Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business.

 

Analysis of Conditions

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting (SFMM) is in a rather unique position that it has several workshop groups under its care. One of them, the South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group (SSFQWG) was established as a worship group under the care of SFMM in 2007. The worship group immediately incorporated in 2007, and finally obtained its own building in 2013. SSFQWG also established its own meeting for worship with attention to business.

In the last few years, SFMM seems to have tried to get a better understanding of the nature of the relationship between SFMM and SSFQWG. Both SFMM and SSFQWG have made efforts to discern what the right relationship should be.

During the October 19, 2014 Business Meeting of SFMM, Friends observed that it would be difficult to find unity about the allocation of our large cash reserves because we had not yet resolved a lack of clarity and associated feelings in the relationship between SFMM and SSFQWG. Subsequently, M&C tried to facilitate a process toward clarity. In May 2015, M&C recently decided to lay down that task after certain progress was made by SSFQWG. SSFQWG developed a fact sheet about the history of what happened in the establishment of SSFQWG, including the financial support it received from SFMM. SSFQWG also held a series of meetings to discern its purpose and intention toward the future, and recently decided to pursue a future as a Preparative Meeting under the care of SFMM.

Separately, SFMM has observed in the last few years that revenues from donations lag behind SFMM expenses, and that a minority of members and attenders (approx. 33%) contribute financially to SFMM. Also, SFMM has not yet come to unity about specific allocations, or a general purpose, of its recently acquired financial assets from a bequest and a land sale. SFMM also has not yet arrived at a condition in which way opens to discern whether a $4,000 ten-year loan to SSFQWG could be turned into a donation. Barriers to these decisions seem to have included:

 

  • Lack of information and understanding of history of SSFQWG

  • Lack of agreement on how to use or allocate the $150K cash reserves

  • Lack of details that define the relationship and mutual responsibilities between SFMM and SSFQWG, and especially a lack of clarity whether SFMM funds are available to worship group members

  • Unresolved historical feelings of unease among some individuals about the establishment of the SSFQWG

 

Participation in SFMM Meetings for Business has been limited to 15-20 people (about 20% of our members or active body of members & attenders), often with poor or no participation from worship groups. This means that unity among a small minority of our entire spiritual community directs the course of our entire monthly meeting. Also, Business Meetings have occasionally been emotionally taxing, complicated and lengthy, especially when discernment was sought on issues of financial and SFMM-wide concern. This may have discouraged a number of Friends to attend.

 

Concerns

  1. SFMM Business Meetings include agenda items for discernment concerning the breadth of the entire SFMM (i.e., Canyon Road and non-Canyon Road items). However, a considerable number of members and attenders is not actively involved in Canyon Road activities and is potentially not interested in issues specific to the Canyon Road location of worship.

  2. SFMM Finances do not differentiate between revenues and expenses for the entire SFMM community and costs specific to the Canyon Road location of worship. As a result, a certain portion of donations from Friends support activities at Canyon Road from which a growing number of Friends do not benefit.

  3. A minority of members and attenders contribute financially to SFMM, while SFMM makes assessments to IMYM and Mountain Friends Camp (MFC) for all SFMM members. Worship group members contribute to their own worship groups. We may expect that possibly few of them contribute to the SFMM. Hence, there is a disparity between SFMM expenses on behalf of members and the revenues received from members.

  4. With the growing independence of SSFQWG, SFMM may need to discern what business items and what financial items pertain to the entire SFMM, which pertain to just the Canyon Road location of worship (and its associated members and attenders), and which items may need to be subject to annual negotiation or discernment between SFMM and each worship group.

Possible Solution

It may be important for SFMM to review its organizational and financial (corporate) relationship structure in relation to the various places of worship and segments of members and attenders. We could perhaps distinguish between activities and costs (expressed on Business Meeting agenda items) regarding:

  1. Overall SFMM concerns

    1. SFMM services, such as website, Digest, Adult Education, Young Friends, Quaker Quest, and SFMM-wide functions (M&C, Peace & Social Concerns, Finance, Library, History, Recorder, etc.)

    2. SFMM relations, such as IMYM, MFC, Regional Meeting and other Quaker affiliations

    3. Good Works that are agreed on by all worship groups (preparative meeting)

  2. Concerns specific to Canyon Road

    1. The Corporation

    2. Building, Garden, Resident Friend, Residence Committee, Olive Rush legacy

    3. First Day School

    4. Fellowship, meeting closing, cleaning, etc.

    5. Insurance, utilities, supplies, etc.

  3. Concerns of each worship group/preparative meeting

    1. Their corporation and building related business

    2. Their choice of Good Works

    3. Their own child care or First Day School – if applicable

    4. Their own fellowship

I propose that SFMM establishes a Working Group that threshes these relationship and responsibility issues and discerns how to proceed regarding the SFMM organizational and financial (corporate) relationship structure in relation to the various places of worship and segments of members and attenders.

 

Jan-Willem Jansens

Clerk, June 20, 2015

 

Appendix G

June 21, 2015 Peace & Social Concerns Committee Report to Worship with Attention to Business

 

Peace and social Concerns met 6/7/2015 following our potluck. Those attending were Maria Barcelona, Adam Ward, Collin Boyd, a visitor, and Pam Gilchrist.

 

  1. We discussed the support we could give for a ½ day Youth Lobby training, an initiative of the Interfaith Social Justice Network. A trainer for RESULTS, a grassroots citizen's lobby working to create the political will to end hunger and the worst aspects of poverty, may be holding a session in September.

Kaeley Pruitt-Ham, FCNL Coordinator for Advocacy, is considering our request to do another ½ day in January. SFMM has one keenly interested 18 year old.

 

Connie Green, Albuquerque Meeting, and long-time FCNL Friend, is checking with their youth for interest. With youth outreach we hope for a number of 16 - 22 year olds from northern NM. We would like to offer funds to defray expenses to attend the March 2016 Lobby days in DC.

 

Tom Vaughan, NM Visiting Friend for FCNL, is interested in planning a concurrent event for adults.

 

  1. Handouts of “Rekindling the Fire”, by Betty Devalcourt and this year’s IMYM keynoter, Diego Navarro, were handed out and will be further discussed at out July Meeting.

 

  1. Adam Ward sent links for educational resources about the TPP and how to survive the TPP. He suggests that we offer a teach-in, however he is on his way to a far distant housesit. We will continue to include updates in the P&SC Digest and see if way opens for further work with the issue.

 

Appendix H

Future Planning Committee Report to Business Meeting, 06.21.2015

The Future Planning Committee met with the architects Jan Wisniewski and Loren Tryk at the Meeting House on June 17. John Kretzmann, Philip Balcombe, David Giltrow and Frank Hirsch attended for the Committee.

The Committee and architects briefly discussed the parking requirements of the City of Santa Fe and in particular the handicapped parking situation. The architects feel that the major issue will be the variance required for parking, which will include need for handicapped parking spaces (on the property not the street). Overall parking requirements cannot be truly determined until the parking variance application and subsequent meetings with the City.

The architects also feel it would be a good idea to begin discussions with our neighbors as this may be a major road block. The Committee agreed that it would hold an initial "Open House" for the neighbors at which the conceptual plan and the preliminary drawings, based on the 1994 plans drawn by L.D. Burke, will be presented. The architects will create the necessary materials along with their suggestions for how to handle the meeting.

Finally, a few members of the Committee plan to meet with Dianne Leavitt (co-trustee of the Alice Parrot property adjacent to us on the east) when she is here in our guest room July 6 through 9 for purposes of discussing the possibility of granting the Meeting access along their driveway to the east rear of the Meeting property.

 

Appendix I

Resident Friend’s Report for Fifth Month 2015

 

The Resident Friend served the Meeting for approximately 19 hours per week during Fifth Month. His tasks included attending business meeting, cleaning the meetinghouse and guest apartment, assisting with Dangerfield Ashton’s memorial service, responding to phone calls and e-mail inquiries, purchasing supplies, doing laundry, assisting with the opening and closing of the meetinghouse on First Days, booking the guest apartment, collecting donations and passing them on to the Finance Committee, returning books to the shelves in the library, making signs for the upcoming Gallery in the Garden evenings, purchasing a toaster and second bedspread for the guest apartment, collecting and distributing the mail, helping Rowan set up the new picnic table in the ramada, assisting the young Friends in weeding and planting the vegetable garden, handling the trash and recycling, and working in the garden. Garden tasks included purchasing and planting new plants, weeding, watering, pruning, mowing the grass, filling bird feeders and birdbaths, and cleaning and filling the hummingbird feeders. Thanks to David and Peggy Giltrow who took care of replacing the refrigerator in the meetinghouse kitchen. And thanks to Wyn Lewis for loaning me her car for making purchases.

 

Guest apartment occupancy: 16 nights out of a possible 30 nights

 

Income from guest apartment & use of the meetinghouse: $1,234

 

Appendix J

CLERK’S REPORT

 

MARCH 14, 2015 – JUNE 21, 2015

SPECIAL ACTIVITIES

REGULAR ACTIVITIES

Evaluated the organizational and financial flow structure of SFMM and the structure of responsibilities and relations between SFMM and Workshop groups; wrote an analysis document for discernment by SFMM

Prepared and clerked the 3 MFWwAtB in April-June 2015

Assisted with several information and finance issues regarding IMYM

Participated in April-June 2015 M&C Committee Mtg (ex officio)

 

 

Wrote a recommendation letter for David Murphy

Usual communication with and support of committees and Friends, e.g., with letters and conveying information

Facilitated explorations about a future location for MFC

 

Coordinated several scheduling activities and made arrangements for people to close meeting for worship

Facilitated logistics for and attended the memorial ceremony for Daingerfield Ashton

Assisted in discernment about financial assistance for Friends who applied to go to IMYM or MFC

Document Actions