Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2015 Newsletters / October 2015 Letter to Friends

October 2015 Letter to Friends

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Tenth Month 2015

 

Calendar of Events

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting.

Quaker House Friends, a preparative meeting under the care of SFMM, holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday morning at 10:30, 2098 Calle Ensenada, on the northwest corner of Siringo Road and Calle Ensenada.

 

Sunday, 10/04 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting @ Canyon Rd.

Sunday, 10/18 12:50 Meeting for Business following the rise of Meeting for Worship and fellowship @ Canyon Rd.

Sunday, 10/25 10:10 Chanting as Preparation for Worship @ Canyon Rd. Meetinghouse

 

The Monthly Query for the 10th month, 2015

As difficult problems arise, how are we careful to meet them in a spirit of love and humility with minds receptive to creative solutions?" (Ref. IMYM Faith and Practice, p.121)

Announcements

October 4 – Monthly Potluck occurs at the rise of the 11:00 meeting. Please bring a dish to share and stay for a potluck in the library.

October 4 – Peace & Social Concerns will meet immediately following the potluck on Canyon Road. Please consider joining this important committee.

October 7 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7:00pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906 or lhibbs@ cybermesa.com

October 7 - Ministry and Counsel Committee meets 1st Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm at Quaker House, 2098 Calle Ensenada.  Anyone wanting to meet with M & C should contact Betsy Lombardi, 473-9110, betsyjbb@gmail.com, Clerk of M & C.

October 18 - Meeting for Business will meet following the rise of the 11:00 meeting and fellowship.

October 25 – Chanting as preparation for worship.  Chanting on 2nd and 4th Sundays at 10:10am at the Meetinghouse on Canyon Rd.  We sing simple chants and hymns, repeating the lines for memorization and for the pleasure of the music. For information, please contact Guthrie Miller  954-4224 or John Kretzmann 988-2152.

 

Called Meeting for Business

September 13th 2015

 

Present: Katherine Youngmeister, Marguerite Kearns, Drew McGee, David Giltrow, Jan Willem Jansens, Brad Sutor, Hunter Sutor, Janie Cravens, Sarah Hawthorne, Pam Gilchrist, Bob Gaines, Marcy Pompei, Peggy Giltrow, John Kretzmann

 

The Meeting opened with worship at 12:30pm.

 

I. New Business

A.   Building Committee (David Giltrow) Roofing Project Expenditure

David presented an overview of the reroofing project.

 

The Building Committee proposes the expenditure of up to $25,000 for expenses to be incurred in reroofing the main house and the garage.

 

This expenditure will cover the cost of reroofing, as well as the addition of a new canale on the main roof to divert water away from the building.

 

The money for this proposed expenditure will come out of the Maintenance Fund. 

The current main roof was put up in February of 2000. It has been inspected by contractors, who indicated that the roof, in its current state, could continue without need for major repair for a few more years. However, due to maintenance issues and concerns over the past few years of both the main and garage roofs, the Building Committee, in reflecting on these matters, concurs that preventative maintenance is the best choice at this time.

 

Friends wondered whether the Meeting’s desire to eventually install skylights and solar panels to the roof had been considered by the Building Committee. The contractor, McPartlon, indicated to the Building Committee that skylights and/or solar panels could be installed at a later date without incurring significant extra cost. The Building Committee also acknowledged that the issue of whether skylights were indeed desired by Friends had not yet been determined.

 

Friends also wondered what type of roofing materials would be used for this project. The new roofs will be made of modified bitumen with hot tar strips as sealing mechanisms; these are the same materials as the current roofs. Other forms of roofing material, including foam, were considered but were ultimately rejected by the Building Committee because all three contractors who bid unequivocally recommended using the modified bitumen roof. The ramada had a new roof installed four years ago, and thus is not currently a concern.

 

Another concern Friends had was regarding the anticipated dust and its effect on the furnishings and art in the Meeting house. The Building Committee plans to take all art down during the reroofing process, and schedule a deep cleaning following the completion of the project. Further steps to prevent inconvenience and mess as a result of the dirt will be taken as needed during the reroofing process.   

 

 

Meeting for Business

September 20th 2015

 

Present: Katherine Youngmeister, Marguerite Kearns, Drew McGee, Bob Gaines, Betsy Lombardi, Jan Willem Jansens, Ann Lindsey, Peggy Giltrow, Elliott Skinner, Linda Hibbs, Rebecca Allahyari, Janie Cravens, Karli Wheeler, David Giltrow, Philip Balcombe, Pam Gilchrist, John Kretzmann

 

Meeting began with worship at 12:50pm.

 

II. Agenda Review - No further additions or revisions to the agenda were proposed.

 

III. Review of Minutes

A.      July Minutes – The proposed correction to the July 2015 Minutes were reviewed. This correction is to New Business item “Banking and Investment Accounts.” Within this item, the short paragraph following item 3 was moved to follow item 2. This clarified that the matter of investments was held over, and that there was not unity surrounding the Corneli bequest recommendation. This correction will appear as an additional appendix to the July Minutes, as well as in the appendix to the September Minutes. With the addition of this correction, the Meeting approved the July 2015 Minutes. See Appendix a for corrections.

B.      August Minutes – The first proposed correction was to add to Old Business item A, South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group Request for Preparative Status. The Minute should read “Friends lovingly approved taking South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group under the care of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting…” The word “lovingly” was omitted in the Minutes as circulated. The second correction was to New Business item D, which needed the sentence “Friends approved establishing this working group,” which was omitted from the Minutes as circulated. The Reports section also stated that there was no written Building Committee report for the eighth month, which was incorrect. The Building Committee’s report for the eighth month has been appended to the appendix of the August Minutes. The above corrections will appear as an additional appendix to the August Minutes, as well as in the appendix to the September Minutes. With the addition of these edits, the Meeting approved the August 2015 Minutes. See Appendix b for corrections.

IV. Correspondence and Clerk’s Business

A.   Good Works Working Group – The July Meeting for Business approved the formation of a Good Works Working Group and asked the Clerk of the Meeting to appoint 5 members, including one from Finance Committee and one from Good Works Committee. The following Friends have agreed to serve: Bob Gaines, Pam Gilchrist, David Henkel, Marcy Pompei, and Rebecca Miles. David Henkel has agreed to be Convener.

 

B.   Adult Education Retreat – Recently a group of Friends have come together with an interest in Adult Education. Those attending the first meeting were Wyn Lewis, Roxane Seagraves, Anna Darrah and Katherine Youngmeister. Others who have indicated an interest in the group but were not able to attend are Allen Winchester, Margy Willen and David Henkel. The group who met united around a plan to hold a one-day retreat in November. A possible theme for the retreat would be “The place of Meeting for Worship in my life.” These Friends feel this theme speaks to the needs of newcomers while also offering fruit to more seasoned members. There are currently two proposed dates: November 7th or November 14th, depending on availability of a site. Friends are asked to keep these dates open.

 

Ministry and Counsel is aware of this group of Friends’ efforts, but will not meet until next week, so this proposal has not been considered by Ministry and Counsel.

 

A Friend wondered why there was not already an ongoing Adult Education Committee. The Clerk reminded Friends that the Nominating Committee was unable to find people willing to serve on an Adult Education Committee so no committee has been formed this year. Friends also asked whether worship groups and preparative meeting would be included in the retreat. The group is seeking a space larger than the Meeting House so that this retreat can be inclusive.  

 

C.   Naming Committee – The Clerk expressed that Spirit does not seem to be moving on this matter at the moment and she has not yet been able to find two people to serve on the Naming Committee (the committee to nominate members of the Nominating Committee).

 

D.   Minutes of Transfer – The Clerk reported that two Friends are in the process of transferring their membership to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. Janie Cravens has requested a Minute of Transfer from Austin Monthly Meeting. Katherine Youngmeister has requested a Minute of Transfer from Strawberry Creek Monthly Meeting. A Friend noted that Katherine’s service as interim Clerk of the Meeting was approved only until November, 2015. In light of this, the Meeting will need to formally extend her Clerkship in the coming months if she is to continue serving.

 

V. Old Business

A.      Building Committee (David Giltrow) Roofing project expenditure - David reported that there had been no additional concerns raised since the Called Meeting regarding the authorization of expenditure of up to $25,000 for the reroofing project. The Clerk asked David to answer a member’s questions concerning the installation of skylights and solar panels. In addressing concerns that the roofing project is an extremely expensive one, Friends were reminded that the price extends over the life of the roof, which has a ten year warranty, and that both the house and the garage are getting new roofs.  

 

Friends approved the expenditure of up to $25,000 for the reroofing project.

 

Meeting thanked the Building Committee for their care, consideration and hard work.     

VI. New Business

A.   Tenth Month Query (Ministry and Counsel) (Betsy Lombardi) –

 

“As difficult problems arise, how are we careful to meet them in a spirit of love and humility with minds receptive to creative solutions?” [Ref. IMYM Faith and Practice, p.121]

 

Friends approved the Tenth Month Query.

VII. Reports

A.   Building Committee (David Giltrow) Appendix A – The reroofing project may cause dirt and other debris to fall through the ceiling into the building. Efforts will be made to mitigate the inconvenience and ease the clean up. David also invited Resident Friend Karli Wheeler to speak about the upcoming maintenance to the ramada, expected to begin in October. This information is available in her report.

 

A Friend had a concern regarding noise complaints from our Canyon Road neighbors during the reroofing process. It will be important to keep our neighbors informed, and to listen to their concerns as they arise throughout the reroofing process.  

 

Friends thanked the Building Committee for their report.

 

B.   Ministry and Counsel (Betsy Lombardi) Appendix B

 

Addressing Friends’ concerns, Betsy assured the Meeting that the Committee continues its discernment regarding issues pertaining to Worship Groups, Preparative Meetings, and Monthly Meetings.

 

Friends thanked Ministry and Counsel for their report. 

 

C.   Finance Committee (Bob Gaines) Appendix C

 

Friends thanked the Finance Committee for their report.

 

D.   Peace and Social Concerns (Pam Gilchrist) Appendix D

 

Pam read Margery Post Abbott’s description of the Peer Group process for the support for leadings. Peace and Social Concerns Committee has decided to experiment with this process for members with leadings. Peer groups are formed in a similar spirit to Anchoring Committees, but function differently. In a Peer Group, people with leadings take turns listening to and supporting each other. In an Anchoring Committee, a small group of Friends offers ongoing support and listening to one Friend under the weight of a leading.  

 

E.   Resident Friends (Karli Wheeler) (Circulated but not read) Appendix E

 

Friends thanked Karli for her report.

 VIII. Announcements

The Next Meeting for Business will be on October 18th, 2015 at 12:50pm at 630 Canyon Road

The Meeting closed with worship at 2:37pm.

 

Submitted by:

Katherine Youngmeister – Interim Clerk

Marguerite Kearns – Assistant Clerk

Drew McGee – Recording Clerk

 

Appendix a

Correction to July 2015 Minutes

New Business (…)

C. Banking and Investment Accounts, General Fund (Finance Committee) (Bob Gaines) Finance Committee proposed that the Meeting take the following actions:

1. Friends approve opening an account with Friends Fiduciary Corporation (FFC).

2. Friends approve moving into the FFC Short Term Investment Fund $14,679.57, an amount of money equal to the sum of the balance in the Bauman Bequest Fund Sequester $56,560.00, plus the balance in the Land Sale Proceeds Sequester Fund, $91,119.57.

During the ensuing discussion one Friend expressed a concern that FFC invests in fossil fuels. The Meeting asked the Finance Committee to present alternatives. This matter will be held over.

3. Friends approve leaving the Corneli Bequest in the General Fund.

Friends were not in unity to Minute retaining the Corneli Bequest in the General Fund.

 

Appendix b

Correction to August 2015 Minutes

V. Old Business

A. South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group (SSFQWG) Request for Preparative Meeting Status (Ministry and Counsel) (David Henkel) – (…)

The Clerk proposed the following Minute:

Friends lovingly approve taking South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group under the care of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting (SFMM) as a Preparative Meeting. SFMM’s Ministry and Counsel will appoint a Committee of Care to be a resource for the spiritual growth and organizational development of the Preparative Meeting.

 

Appendix

Meeting for Business

September 20th 2015

 

A. Building Committee

 Building Committee Report, 9th month, 20, 2015

Committee meeting. The committee met on Thurs., September 3rd, to evaluate three companies’ bids for the re-roofing project. The Brian McPartlon Roofing Co. proposal at $22,275 was selected. Because of the amount involved, the committee’s procedure is to bring an expenditure of this amount to meeting for business for approval using funds contained in the maintenance fund.

This is the second reading of this request, previously explained at a called meeting for business on First Day, September 13th.

The building committee requests Meeting’s approval of expenditures up to $25,000 to re-roof the main building and the garage plus necessary work to improve drainage from the garage roof and several canales of the main roof. The work will be undertaken by Brian McPartlon Roofing Co. of Santa Fe. The expenditure would be covered by existing funds in the maintenance fund.

The treasurer indicates that there are sufficient funds in the maintenance fund to cover these costs while maintaining an emergency amount which has been the Meeting’s policy over the years.

History. For the record, business meeting records from Second, Third and Fourth Months of 2000 reveal the time of the last re-roofing of the main building (completion during Third Month, 2000). The company was Brian McPartlon Roofing at a cost of $8,850. This included removal of much original dirt and previous roofing efforts. There was no work on the garage roof at that time. The latter re-roofing is estimated to have taken place in the early to mid-1980s (tar and gravel).

Future discussion points. The committee decided not to include in this re-roofing project at this time the addition of sky lights for the meetingroom as well as a strengthened portion of the roof for solar panels. It is likely these two modifications will come forward for general discussion following detailed discussion within the committee.

Ramada maintenance. Also at the September 3rd committee meeting, there was further discussion of the ramada’s maintenance issues. With the re-roofing decisions taken, attention to these ramada issues will receive greater attention and there is likely another request for approval of expenditures brought to the Meeting.

Committee’s source of funds: reminder. The maintenance fund receives income from donations by guests using the Meeting’s guest apartment, plus income from groups using the meetinghouse. This means there is a flow into the maintenance fund over the year to replace expended funds. Individual members’ and attenders’ donations to the Meeting, unless so designated, go into the general fund rather than the maintenance fund.

Respectfully submitted, David Giltrow, convener

 

B. Ministry and Counsel

Report to Monthly Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Committee on Ministry and Counsel

Santa Fé Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

20September 2015

 

For Action:

·         Query for Tenth Month: “As difficult problems arise, how are we careful to meet them in a spirit of love and humility with minds receptive to creative solutions?” [Ref. IMYM Faith and Practice, p. 121]

For Information:

·         The Committee on Ministry and Counsel approved the Committee of Care for the preparative meeting at 2098 Calle Ensenada, comprising John Kretzmann, Wyn Lewis, and Roxanne Seagraves.

·         A memorial service for Ford Robbins will be held at 2 p.m. on October 4th at the Unitarian Universalist Church on Barcelona Road.

New Business:

·         The Committee on Ministry and Counsel began a discussion on how Meeting can organize itself in a more routine manner to offer mutual care in times of need. This will be brought to Meeting for Business when it has been properly seasoned.

C. Finance Committee

Finance Committee Report
September 20, 2015
Submitted by Bob Gaines, Convener

At the last business meeting, Jan Wiznewski, the architect retained by the Future Planning Committee, advised that the process of obtaining city approval for a new building in back could take months.  The Finance Committee will delay working on an investment recommendation for the $150K set aside by the meeting until it is clear whether it will be needed for the new building.

The meeting's money is currently in Guadalupe Credit Union, which invests in the local community.  GCU's current financial statement indicates that most of it's $139 million in member deposits are in mortgages or car loans with about $7.8 million deposited in other institutions (probably CDs).

Janie Cravens is led to meet individually with anyone interested in considering their relationship to the meeting's financial support, and the Finance Committee supports her leading.  Janie may invite others who are interested in this leading to join her.

 

D. Peace and Social Justice Committee

 

SFMM Peace and Social Concerns report to 9/20/2015 SFMM worship with attention to business

SFMM Peace and Social Concerns met over our potluck of September 6, 2015.  Present were Anne Backus, David Henkel, Pam Gilchrist, convener, and Kate Marcos

P&SC reviewed issues of interest to the meeting and will publish these items in the P&SC Digest:  1. The Interfaith Immigration Allies letter to our congressional delegation expressing our concern about the latest issues related to immigration in both the Senate and the House. 

2.An AFSC booth with a display on Quaker/AFSC witness on behalf of Japanese-Americans interned in domestic concentration camps during World War II will be presented at the Aki MatsuriJapanese-American fall festival at the National Hispanic Cultural Center on  First Day, 20th September 2015, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

3. A Public Banking house party Tuesday, September 22, 7 – 8:30 p.m. will be held at Sand River Cohousing and will present the latest updates as the feasibility study for public banking in works its way through the city council. [Mary Schruben], one of our local experts, will be on hand. 

4 Interfaith Leadership Alliance CLIMATE VIGIL, Thursday, September 24, 12 noon – 1pm   on the steps of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi incelebration of the Pope’s address to the U. S. Congress.  Speakers are Father Adam Ortega Y Ortiz, Rabbi Neil Amswych, The Rev. Talitha Arnold, and Sister Joan Brown.

5.  FCNL and other Quaker affiliated updates are sent out as well. 

P&SC agreed to use Mary Post Abbot’s Peer Groups format for mutual spiritual support and accountability on a trial basis and will practice with the issue of giving input regarding the Meeting investing, or not, the $150,000 currently in a very low interest savings account at Guadalupe Credit Union.  Those present offered their support and information about their own SRI.

PURPOSE OF PEER GROUPS:

  • The purpose of the peer group meetings is to help pay attention to God’s presence and activity in the life Friends who are carrying out a ministry or following a leading.  The peer group practices provide ongoing support and help with discernment for the members of the group.
  • During a typical two-hour session two people will each have the focus of the group for about one hour. Each focus person presents something about her/his experience in carrying out a ministry or leading (this can include the ministry of spiritual nurture or eldering).
  • The role of the group is to prayerfully listen and, as prompted by the Spirit, to ask questions after a presentation is over that can help the presenter explore more deeply her/his relationship to, awareness of, and response to the Divine in carrying out her/his service.
  • This process is more like group spiritual nurture for the presenter than it is like a clearness committee.  Ideally, the group meets on an ongoing basis; in rotation, each member of the group will have a regular opportunity to be the focus of the group’s prayerful attention. 

To “listen” another’s soul into a condition of disclosure and discovery may be almost

            the greatest service that any human being ever performs for another.–Douglas Steere

 

 

E. Resident Friend's Report

 

Resident Friend’s Report for Eighth Month 2015

The Resident Friend served the Meeting for approximately 25 hours per week, mainly in meetings with Friends, contractors, guest hospitality and significant work in the garden.

Special tasks included:

-meeting with Residence Committee to discuss progress
-meeting with Garden Committee convener Marcy Pompeii to prioritize tasks
-meetings with the Building Committee regarding the meetinghouse roof and solutions to the ramada’s gas water heater issues, windows, floors, etc.
cleaned shed and hauled two loads of refuse to dump, a third carload donated to Habitat Restore (and joined on behalf of meeting to save money by borrowing tools when needed)
-with help of handyman Kevin Lovelace, removed significant overgrowth, planted new rose bushes, replaced weeds with rocks & wood chips, moved woodpile, moved cedar chest & drop-leaf table from ramada to portal, added solar lights along sidewalk throughout garden path
-Gallery in the Garden for August was cancelled due to lack of artists

And the usual:
-cleaned the meetinghouse, driveway and sidewalks,
-cleaned and preparing the guest apartment,
-responded to phone calls and email inquiries,
-booked the guest apartment,
-collected donations and giving them to Finance,
-purchased supplies, (including new lamp, pillows, hanging racks, hangers, toaster oven, mouse traps, etc.)
-did laundry,
-cleaned the meetinghouse after worship and AA meetings,
-collected and distributed the mail,
--handled the trash and recycling,
watered, pruned, weeded, mowed, cleared and worked in the garden.

Guest apartment occupancy: 30/31 nights
(In spite of one person’s cancellation of her 17 day stay, I was able to re-book those nights).

 

 

 

----

Members and attenders can sign up for one or more of the Meeting's three email lists by request to the Editors at <sfmeeting@gmail.com>. 

 

Requests to post items to the Announcements or Digest lists should be sent to the Editors, who will determine whether the requested announcement meets the Meeting’s guidelines.

               

Email Announcements List:

Urgent messages such as requests by members or attenders for assistance or announcements of immediate interest to the Meeting

 

Weekly Digest List:

Items which are not urgent will be sent on Tuesday

The Digest will not routinely include announcements appearing in the Newsletter

Events of other organizations may be included if they are directly related to issues or concerns with which the Meeting is currently engaged

Digest announcements must be received by Monday evening

One announcement per person per week

An announcement will ordinarily be run only once, but may be run once more upon request

 

Peace and Social Concerns List:

Please send your request to receive - or to be removed from - the Peace and Social Concerns Digest to Pam Gilchrist <pam@dtbprojects.com>  The P&SC Digest connects you with the work of FCNL, AFSC, our local Interfaith Social Justice Network and your leadings and concerns (please send to Pam).

 

 

 

Document Actions