Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2013 Newsletters / November 2013 Letter to Friends

November 2013 Letter to Friends

 

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Eleventh month 2013

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.  The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship in homes until their Meetinghouse is ready.

 

Sunday, 11/03 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting, 1:30 Ministry and Counsel Committee

Sunday, 11/10 10:10 2nd Sunday Friends Worship Sharing

Sunday, 11/17 10:10 Peace & Social Concerns &/or A Capella singing,

12:30 Meeting for Worship for Business

Sunday, 11/24 12:30 Regular Meetings for Worship

 

The Monthly Query for the 10th month, 2013

 

Announcements

 

Nov. 3 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 a.m. meeting. This month Pam Geyer & Marcy Pompei will host the meal and clean up. Please consider hosting a monthly potluck in the near future, by e-mailing sfmeeting@gmail.org. with a date commitment. The January potluck is the next venue needing two hosts.

 

Nov. 3 – Ministry & Counsel will meet after the potluck, usually around 1:30 p.m. On their agenda is to consider how the change in protocol for sharing “Joys, Sorrows & Concerns” after the rise of meeting has worked. Therefore, please weigh in with the members of Ministry & Counsel on your preference for sharing during meeting or after meeting. Those members are Allen Winchester, Clerk, Carolyn Sigstedt, Karen Kuranz, Margy Willen, and the current Meeting clerk, Jan-Willem Jansens.

 

Nov. 6 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

 

Nov. 10 - 2ND Sunday Friends Journal Worship Sharing article is “What Love Requires” by George Schaefer from the September 2013 Friends Journal - http://www.friendsjournal.org/love-requires-community-challenge-diversity/ . Beginning this Sunday, copies of this article will be available in the folder near the window in the library. Everyone is invited to attend!  We will begin at 10:10 am and close at 10:50 am.  Friends are encouraged to suggest articles, letters or poems from The Friends Journal to consider in future Worship Sharing’s - contact Howard Shulman @ 984-9908. Here’s the Friends Journal site to order your subscription - http://www.friendsjournal.org/

Nov. 15 and 16thRegional Meeting at the Albuquerque Friends Meetinghouse.  Register now (deadline is October 31st) so food can be planned and children’s programs organized. Pay $10 at the door. Scholarships are available upon request & car pools are being formed.  

This Workshop offers an opportunity for Friends throughout the New Mexico Region to explore, find common ground and become energized about Growing in Spirit: How Do We Come Alive? , through a mixture of experiential activities, small groups, worship, discussion and worship sharing of Santa Fe and Albuquerque Monthly Meetings. FOR MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION FORM CLICK ON:   http://www.imym.org/nmrm/fall2013workshop 

 Nov. 17 – 10:00 am, 3rd Sunday Singing -- A Capella singing as preparation for worship. This is meant to be singing for anyone that has a desire to sing ("if you can talk you can sing"). We do improvised vocalization (making sounds and listening), chanting, or singing hymns from our hymn book "Worship in Song". If you have a favorite reading we can try chanting it.  For questions or suggestions, please contact Guthrie Miller at 954-4224 or guthriemiller@gmail.com.

Nov. 17 - Peace and Social Concerns meets the third First day of every month between worship services from 10:05 to 10:55 am, Pam Gilchrist chairs these efforts and will publish topic in the weekly digest.

Nov. 17 - Business meeting for Worship will meet at the rise of the meeting.

 

Santa Fe Friends Meeting

Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Tenth Month, 2013 (October 20, 2013)

 

Present: Jan-Willem Jansens (Clerk), Peggy Giltrow (Recording Clerk), Michael Simon, Elliott Skinner, Roxanne Seagraves, Ford Robbins, Carol Woodsong, Nichoe Lichen, Margie Routledge, David Murphy, Guthrie Miller, Allen Winchester, Bob Gaines, Pamela Geyer, Philip Balcombe, David Giltrow, Wyn Lewis, Linda Hibbs

 

The Clerk opened the Meeting with a period of silence at 12:45. He introduced the Meeting Query: How do we inform ourselves about how our style of living affects the global economy and the environment? (IMYM F&P, p. 141, 1)

 

The Minutes for Ninth Month 2013 Business Meeting were approved with the following technical corrections concerning the notes on the Camino Lejo Donation: This is the 4th, rather than the 5th, year since the initial donation. The donor’s offer to buy back the donated portion of the property was approved in the Business Meeting of the Fourth month of 2013, not the Fifth month.

 

Treasurer and Finance Committee—The Treasurer’s Reports for January 1 to September 30, 2013 is available on the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting’s website and Appendix B (Finance Committee Report) at the end of these Minutes for written reports

 

The Treasurer submitted 2 reports for the period January 1-September 30, 2013. The first shows General Fund Income and Expenses. The second shows Funds Activity and Bank Activity. Some discussion ensued. Bob Gaines, former Treasurer, pointed out that funds, such as the Maintenance Fund, are credited as money designated for their use comes in. Accounts, such as Money Market B, are drawn upon as needed to pay bills. All transactions which happened in October, such as the sale of the Camino Lejo property back to the donor, will appear in the October report to the November business meeting.

 

The Clerk noted that expenditures seem to be somewhat on track. The income level is not going hand in hand with the expense level. Friends are reminded to contribute in these last few months so that by the end of the year budgeted income and expenses are balanced. It is incumbent on all to remember that we have the responsibility to support Meeting, financially and spiritually.

 

Meeting accepted the Treasurer’s reports.

 

The Finance Committee report was read. The chair of the Finance Committee stressed that finances of the Meeting are being handled with integrity and as much dispatch as possible. In addition to the recent threshing sessions on the request for $8,000 from the South Santa Fe Worship Group, the Committee plans to hold additional threshing sessions on how to use our cash assets to best serve Meeting’s long and short term interest in the coming months. The return of the Camino Lejo property resulted in an additional cash asset of $99,119.00, held in a Meeting Money Market account at Guadalupe Credit Union with Meeting’s other assets. The report included three action items. 1. Meeting agreed to remove Ted Pomeroy’s name as a signer on Meeting accounts as he is no longer Treasurer. 2. Meeting approved the request that all committee budgets be submitted to the Finance Committee by November 15; and committee convenors were urged to act promptly. The third action item was the request for $8,000, discussed and acted upon below. Meeting accepted the Finance Committee report.

 

Discussion of financial assistance to South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group

 

The Meeting has held three threshing sessions to discuss the South Santa Fe Worship Group’s request for $8,000 to help with completion of their new Meetinghouse. No written reports of those sessions were available. The Meeting spent the next 2 plus hours discussing whether we are clear to give the requested funds, and under what terms.

 

SSFWG assured the Meeting that the city’s Board of Adjustments, on Oct. 6, agreed that the facility may be used for religious assembly. At that hearing 2 more parking spots on the street were added, giving a total of 7. SSFWG plans to use the 7 spaces for people with mobility issues, and to ask others to park farther away. Occupancy was approved at 99 people. New requirements from city staff for granting of the building permit to complete renovation include making the second planned bathroom ADA accessible, addition of a commercial grade fire sprinkler system, and upgraded electrical specifications. All religious assemblies not grandfathered in must have commercial licenses. SSFWG was not given tax-exempt status for building completion at closing. A request to the assessor for tax-exempt status cannot be processed until the facility is actually being used as a place of worship. Processing of the request will take time. If the request is granted the status can be applied retroactively. Requirements for gross receipts tax payments vary and are complex in a building project like this one; total GRT payments will become clear later in the process.

 

Discussion concerned fiscal responsibility in use of Meeting funds, the opportunity for Meeting to take a deeper look at how we need to use our assets, generosity for good works, responsibility to matching income with expenses for the budget adopted for 2013, relationship of Santa Fe Friends Meeting to worship groups under our care, unease over the need for money to be spent for a structure to be used by relatively few people, unease with a feeling of unnecessary haste in the decision-making process, and questions about the viability of the project and what would happen should SSFWG be laid down.

 

One Friend noted that Quakers have lots of problems with money and with Meetinghouse issues. The focus should be not on details, but how we should respond. Tenderness is more important than prudence. Since worships groups are part of our Meeting, we are just discussing sharing our resources. Another praised SSFWG’s venture, and pointed out that the amount requested is insignificant compared to our resources.

 

A Meeting member who attends SSFWG pointed out that the $8,000 request is part of a larger budget for renovation of the new meeting space. Others have come forward with money to help, and attenders are raising a significant portion themselves. Some decisions require an act of faith. Concerns of viability are meaningless unless we all work together to make it viable. It is incumbent on all present to understand the information provided, then make a leap of faith to support building something which is viable.

 

It was suggested that Meeting give $4,000 as a gift, and the remaining $4,000 as a loan to be repaid over 5 years. The $75,000 ADA project at Canyon Road was financed with existing money, topped up with loans from families in Meeting for the $20,000 not available in Meeting funds. Two years ago we were dealing with a general budget of $30,000, including Good Works. The Baumann bequest added $56,000, and the Camino Lejo property has added $99,000 more. But Meeting has not discussed how to use those funds.

 

Meeting took a 10 minute break, then centered for further discussion.

 

When does caution become paralysis? The need to know every detail can cause inaction, which is a strong action. What is the purpose of our Meeting? Do we love these people, and honor their spirit and heart? Can we give this gift without hurting something elsewhere. Do we trust to move forward with love and generosity and graciousness and make adjustments as needs arise? The need is obvious. Will $8,000 be enough?

 

SFFWG feels way will open and plans to proceed with the necessary renovations for their Meetinghouse, which is a stepping stone within their budget at this time and the best solution available when their lease was up. Two SFFWG attenders suggested that if, at some time, Canyon Road’s struggle with space issues leads to change, it might be possible for SFFWG to sell its Meetinghouse and pool assets for space together. SFFWG could write a letter to Finance Committee outlining its feelings about gifts, obligations for gifts, and how to treat gifts. This could be sent as a separate mailing for people to consider.

 

Meeting agreed to fund the request of $8,000 from South Santa Fe Worship Group for completion of their new Meetinghouse. Meeting will donate $4,000 now. At the next Business Meeting we will decide whether the further $4,000 will be a donation or a loan. At that time, should SSFWG feel a need for more money, they can request it. Two Friends stood aside. Meeting committed itself to addressing in a timely manner the issues of mutual responsibility of Meeting and Worship Groups to each other, and of responsible use of financial assets.

 

Building Committee—Please see Appendix C for written report

 

Committee action included work on the sewer line and water leak problems, including projected meetings with the Santa Fe City Water Department, the installation of a new refrigerator for the Ramada, planning for an inspection of the 12 year-old Meetinghouse roof, miscellaneous small projects to be completed by Ross Pope soon and a list of projects to be done, and reversible closure of the Guest Apartment fireplace.

 

Based on recent improvements to guest apartment amenities, (wi-fi and more frequent deep cleaning), the Committee requested Meeting approval of an increase in the suggested donation to $45/night for one person or $55/night for two persons (from $40 and $45). Meeting approved the increase.

 

Meeting accepted the Building Committee report, with special thanks for solving the water problem.

 

Garden Committee—no written report

 

The Garden Committee is inactive except for one person plus the Resident. We need to work with the Resident to figure out how to put the garden to bed for winter, and on the safety concerns of the First Day School Committee. The Resident notes that he did weeding and hired help to maintain the garden. He reminded us that Meeting had discussed having a threshing session about the purpose of the Garden. Since $2,800 remains in the Garden Committee’s budget for 2013, Meeting approved asking the Resident to work with Allen Rogers to decide what needs to be done before the end of the year, and to spend the necessary money from that line item of the budget.

 

Future Planning Committee—no formal report

 

The committee is constructing parameters for objectives for any proposal for new Meeting space. It hopes for a Meeting-wide gathering shortly after the first of the year to consider the options being put forward. Meeting accepted the verbal report.

 

Peace & Social Concerns Committee—No report

 

Ministry and Counsel Committee—Please see Appendix D for written report

 

Ministry and Counsel addressed the spiritual life of the Meeting, including its worship groups under our care, as well as concerns of a number of individual members. The committee discussed the term “under our care”, is drafting a job description for a new position of coordinator of care requests, considering how to gauge Meeting interest in Adult Education, and suggestions for “This Land Is Your Land” and further Kabarak Call for Peace and Eco Justice programs. The committee was concerned that the third threshing session, held on Oct. 6, about the SSFWG request for funds, did not include several important questions: Are we really one? Has Quaker process been followed regarding uses of recent large donations? Do we have a complete picture of Meeting finances? The committee observed there is value in helping and potential damage in withholding help to SSFWG.

The M&C Report was accepted with gratitude.

 

Meeting approved the suggested Queries for Eleventh Month of 2013: “As a Friend, where are you called to action? What do you do to bring life and Light to you and others? As Friends, where are we called to action? What do we do to bring life and Light to ourselves and others?” These queries, for self and for Friends corporately, will be used by NM Regional Meeting in Albuquerque on Nov. 15 and 16, 2013.

 

Resident’s Report—Please see Appendix E for written report

 

The Resident worked 63 hours during 9th Month, on multiple listed tasks. The guest apartment was occupied 26 out of a possible 29 nights. Income generated: $1,160.

 

Discussion of the report focused on how best to help the Resident handle requests from individuals who appear at his door. Funds from the Emergency line item are intended for Meeting members and attenders. The Good Works Committee does not dispense donations. The resident is not comfortable letting people know that he has cash. He will publish requests for housing in the weekly digest. The Adelante guide to community resources is available on our web site, and can be used for referrals.

 

The Resident is willing, until he has more paid employment, to dedicate extra paid hours to help put the garden to bed. Lynne St. Clair may also be available for paid work.

 

Meeting is reminded that excess items in the Zaguan impede wheelchair access.

 

Meeting accepted the Resident’s report.

Clerk’s Report

 

In addition to his usual responsibilities, the Clerk assisted Roena Oesting during her visit in Santa Fe for her presentation, responded to a letter from Lowber Welsh, replied to many emails, did background work for the threshing sessions regarding the SSWG request and for development of ideas about religious education with Ministry and Counsel, and worked with Sara Gmitter on the housekeeping calendar. He is pleased to announce that Ariel Harrison and David Murphy have agreed to coordinate the Meeting’s Christmas Eve celebration. They have asked for help in cleaning up, and for people to pitch in with events of the evening.

 

The Clerk’s report was accepted with thanks.

 

The suggestion was made that the upcoming threshing session on how to best use Meeting’s cash assets include a discussion of providing our Resident Friend with health insurance.

 

Meeting ended with silence at 4:10 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted, Peggy Giltrow, Recording Clerk

 

Announcements

 

Committee conveners are asked to submit their proposed budgets for 2014 to the Finance Committee by November 15 so that the committee can prepare the Meeting Budget for the coming year.

 

The Future Planning Committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 4 at La Farge Library, 1739 Llano St. Anyone interested is invited to attend.

 

November 10, 5 p.m., 630 Canyon Rd. “Creativity for Peace,” Frances Salles will present information on this program that promotes collaboration for peace between young Israeli and Palestinian women. All are invited.

 

NM Regional Meeting, Albuquerque, Nov. 15 and 16, 2013. The registration deadline is Oct. 30, but you could drop in for a single day and pay $10 at the door, or join Friends for worship at the Albuquerque Monthly Meeting on Sunday morning Nov. 17 at 11 a.m. For more details see http://www.imym.org/nmrm/fall2013workshop

 

Christmas Eve: Ariel Harrison and David Murphy have agreed to coordinate the Meeting’s Christmas Eve celebration. They have asked for help in cleaning up, and for people to pitch in with events of the evening. To help with set-up of farolitos, setting-up and tending the bonfire, decorating the Meetinghouse, convening the Meeting for Worship, tending the Meetinghouse, and otherwise providing hospitality and cleanup, please call David Murphy at 428-8443 or email him at quakerdcm@gmail.com

 

 

Appendix A—Treasurer’s Report – see on SF Monthly Meeting Website

 

Appendix B—Finance Committee Report

 

20 October, 2013

Finance Committee Report to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting

Submitted by Roxanne Seagraves

(Bold indicates Action Item within the report)

 

Finance Committee has had a busy month. Working closely with the treasurer we have updated the Meeting’s financial reports so that they now accurately reflect Meeting’s financial assets. This is a necessary first step towards further discussion on allocation of Meeting resources.

 

The Finance Committee hosted two threshing sessions to address the request for $8,000.00 made by the South Santa Fe Worship Group on August 27, 2013. These sessions were in addition to the threshing session held prior to the September Business Meeting. Sessions were held on September 22 and October 6 respectively in preparation for the October 20, 2013 Business Meeting. These discussions were fruitful and Friends had opportunities to air their respective views and to seek greater clarity from the South Santa Fe Worship Group regarding this request.

 

Following the October 6 session it was clear to finance committee that the request should be brought to Meeting for Business as an action item.

 

Details regarding the return of the Camino Lejo property to Guthrie Miller were resolved. This provided Meeting with additional cash asset of $99,119.00. These funds are currently held in the Meeting’s money market account at Guadalupe Credit Union.

 

Finance is reviewing Meeting’s long and short cash flow needs to help facilitate the discussions of how to use our cash-assets to best serve the Meeting’s long and short term interests. We will hold additional threshing sessions on these matters in the coming months.

 

Finance request a minute removing Ted Pomeroy’s name as a signer on Meeting accounts as he is no longer treasurer.

 

Finance requests that committees submit their proposed budgets for 2014 to Finance Committee prior to November Business Meeting so that we can prepare the Meeting Budget for the coming year.

 

Appendix C—Building Committee Report

 

SANTA FE FRIENDS MEETING

Building Committee Report

Tenth Month 20, 2013

 

The committee met late last month and discussed the following main issues; some have been resolved, others are ongoing:

 

SEWER LINE. Our sewer line was disturbed by SF water department actions and they need to restore it with a proper connection. We paid for a DVD visual status of our sewer line to show their responsibility and expect to meet with the water department to address this issue when several committee members can arrange for an appointment.

 

WATER LEAK. A water leak detection service located the leak at the garden hose bib. The plumber has completed a successful repair this past week. We will meet with the SF water department to request relief from the water consumption bills which reflected the leak.

 

RAMADA REFRIGERATOR. A new refrigerator is in place. However, removal of the old, larger unit proved problematic in getting it out of the ramada. With some assistance, the resident was able to get the old unit through a ramada window after removing fridge doors, security grid and windows. It will be picked up this week.

 

ROOF INSPECTION. We plan to arrange an inspection and likely some maintenance to the meetinghouse roof. The current roof is now 12 years old. We may use a house inspector rather than a roofing company for the inspection phase in order to have an unbiased assessment of the roof’s condition and needed maintenance. Follow-up would then be completed by a roofing company.

 

MISC. SMALL PROJECTS. We expect Ross Pope to undertake completion of various miscellaneous improvement and maintenance projects later in the month. The accessible garden path would be undertaken in the early spring next year.

In addition to Ross’s project list, we still need to: do a clean out of the kitchen sink (plumber expected this week); paint a guide line in the garage to assist drivers with parking which allows space for wheel chair passage; scrape and repaint exterior window sills; set electric baseboard control unit for automatic on/off on Sunday and through the week; obtain expert advice on repair of meetingroom and FD schoolroom floors.

 

GUEST APARTMENT FIREPLACE. A recent guest apartment occupant inquired about using the guest apartment’s fireplace, which is currently available for use. We discussed the pros and cons of the flow of guests using the fireplace. It is a simple fireplace with no damper or way of regulating air flow. As such, its contribution to heating is probably negative. However, our main concern is for the safety of the guests and the building. As such, the committee has decided to install a reversible closure of the chimney and advise guests that the fireplace is not available for their use.

 

INCREASED SUGGESTED DONATION FOR GUEST APARTMENT. With the recent provision of wi-fi service and added periodic deep cleaning, the committee discussed increasing the suggested donation rates for one and two persons, respectively, per night from the current $40/$50 to $45/$55. We believe this increase should be considered by meeting for business and, if approved, would take effect on January 1, 2014.

 

REQUEST FOR ACTION BY BUSINESS MEETING

 

Should the suggested donation for guest apartment occupants be increased to $45/night for one person, $55/night for two persons, to reflect additional services previously approved by the Meeting?

 

Appendix D-Ministry and Counsel Committee Report

 

October 2013 Report to SFMM by Ministry & Counsel Committee

Attending the Oct. 7 meeting were Jan-Willem Jansens, Carolyn Sigstedt, Margy Willen, Allen Winchester. (Karen Kuranz was out of town and unable to attend.)

Spiritual life of the Meeting: The committee remarked an end-of-summer decline in attendance at 11a.m. worship and hopes this will change with the end of tourist season.

Observations on spiritual life of worship groups:

Las Vegas Worship Group: Allen and Margy will attend worship Oct. 13 and meet afterwards to discuss joys and concerns of the group.

South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group: Members of SSFQWG met Oct. 1 with the city’s Board of Adjustment, which granted the request for a religious group to meet at the Ensenada property; the major community concern was about traffic; the Board allowed two additional parking spaces (increasing to 7) and use of nearby public parking. SSFQWG must address the separate issue of a building permit, because the square footage requires a commercial designation that requires additional work (e.g., a second ADA bathroom).

Espanola: A small worship group is again meeting there.

Threshing session: M&C evaluated the outcomes of the third threshing session held Oct. 6 about South Santa Fe’s request for funds with a view toward the spiritual health of our Meeting. M&C members felt that turnout for the third session was small and it is concerned whether the session explored the underlying issues. That is, there might have been a feeling of consensus about funding but that was not the purpose of the threshing session. Questions not yet addressed include: Are we really one? Has Quaker process been followed regarding uses of the recent, large donations? Do we yet have a complete picture of Meeting finances—income and needs?

In considering final thoughts about SSFQWG’s request, the committee observed

that there is a value in helping and potential damage in withholding.

November peace program: Pam Gilchrist has requested use of the meetinghouse for a presentation by Frances Salles on Nov. 10 at 5pm on “Creativity for Peace,” a program that promotes collaboration for peace between young Israeli and Palestinian women. M&C supports this, the space is available and has contacted Pam and Frances Salles to let them know.

This Land Is Your Land” In response to further inquiry, Paula Palmer felt her program is appropriate for New Mexico because it has been vetted by Native Americans and that it is up to us to involve Native Americans in the workshop, whose intended audience is non-Native Americans. M&C concluded that the program should be considered in 2014 and perhaps have involvement by the SF Interfaith Council.

Query for November “As a Friend, where are you called to action? What do you do to bring life and Light to you and others? As Friends, where are we called to action? What do we do to bring life and Light to ourselves and others?” (queries for Fall meeting of New Mexico Regional Meeting)

The committee addressed a number of individual member concerns.

M&C discussed progress with memorial minutes for Karen Salzman and Jeannie Mayes.

M&C has three on-going discussion items:

Under our care”: M&C discussed what is meant by “under our care” when referring to a worship groups and how the Meeting supports them.

Care requests: In lieu of a new “Care Committee,” M&C is crafting a job description for a new position of coordinator of care requests.

Adult education The committee is hoping a new coordinator of adult religious education will soon be identified, and also considering setting up a study group to gauge Meeting interest.

Kabarak Call for Peace and Eco Justice: This will be an IMYM topic again in 2014. Two possible programs we might sponsor in early 2014 (discussion of a video on eco-activist Tim DeChristopher, and connection with the Acequia Madre School’s “Global Warming Express”) could serve to inspire discernment and reflection about our callings in response to the Kabarak Call.

The meeting closed with silence.

 

 

Appendix E—Resident’s Report

 

Resident Friend’s Report for 9th Month, 2013 (10th Month Business Meeting)

The Resident Friend was of service to the Meeting for a total of 63 hours during 9th Month: 26 and ½ hours on Meeting business (plumbing issues, collecting & distributing mail, cleaning, trash & recycling, responding to e-mails & phone calls, sweeping the sidewalks, reorganizing the portal, cleaning the periodical rack in the library, buying supplies, doing laundry); 18 and ¼ hours on the guest apartment (answering e-mails & phone calls, cleaning, buying supplies, doing laundry, speaking with guests); and, 18 and ¼ hours on the garden (weeding, pruning, watering). The meetinghouse was used for weekly AA meetings as well as two birthday parties. There were several purchases made for the guest apartment: a bedspread and shams, two sets of sheets, two shower liners, and a drain guard for the bathtub. Wi-Fi service was added to the guest apartment. Ariel Harrison assisted with a more thorough cleaning of the guest apartment, concentrating on the vigas, overhead lights, and kitchen shelves. A new refrigerator had to be purchased for the casita. Four people contacted the Meeting in need of housing and financial help.

Guest apartment occupancy: 26 nights out of a possible 29 nights

Income from guest apartment: $1,160.00



--
Send requests to post to the list to <sfmeeting@gmail.com>; send newsletter items to <marcypompei@comcast.net>.  Meeting newsletters and calendar are posted at http://sf.imym.org

Guidelines for posting: In general, posts to the list should be limited to messages which must be disseminated before the next issue of the newsletter, such as Meeting or committee announcements or requests by members or attenders for assistance or to offer goods or services to others in the Meeting. Announcements of events of other organizations may be posted if they are directly related to issues or concerns with which the Meeting is currently engaged.  Items which are not urgent may be posted, but will be collected into a weekly digest of announcements.  Meeting members and attenders wishing to get messages that address their broader concerns might consider subscribing directly to the email lists of organizations such as AFSC, FCNL, or Amnesty International. The Communications and Peace and Social Concerns Committees will occasionally provide a list of organizations which may be of interest to the Meeting.

 

 

 

Document Actions