Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2013 Newsletters / June 2013 Newsletter

June 2013 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Sixth month 2013

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

 

Sunday, 6/02 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting, 1:30 Ministry and Counsel Committee

Sunday, 6/09 10:10 2nd Sunday Friends Worship Sharing

Sunday, 6/16 12:30 10:10 am Peace & Social Concerns &/or A Capella singing, 12:30 am,

Sunday, 6/23 12:30 Meeting for Worship for Business

Sunday, 6/30 12:30 Adult Education Committee sponsors a discussion

 

The Monthly Query for the 6th month, 2013

How do we invite younger Friends, new members, and attenders to feel welcome to participate in the meeting’s activities?”

(IMYM Faith & Practice, p 123, Rewrite of Queries #3 and 4)

 

Announcements

June 5 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

June 2 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 a.m. meeting. A discussion will be held in the garden regarding the placement of a swing for young friends. See next message please!


June 2 – Ministry & Counsel will meet after the potluck, usually around 1:30 p.m.

 

June 9 – 2ND Sunday Friends Journal Worship Sharing article is “An Ecology of the Spirit” by Martin Melville from the June/July 2012 Friends Journal.  Beginning this Sunday, copies of this article will be available in the folder next to the bird house in the library.  Everyone is invited to attend!  We will begin at 10:10 am and close at 10:50 am.  Friends are encouraged to suggest articles, letters or poems from The Friends Journal to consider in future worship sharing’s - Please call Howard Shulman @ 984-9908.

 

June 12 - June 16 - The 2013 IMYM Annual Gathering is scheduled for Wed. June 12 to Sun. June 16, with early days beginning Sun. June 9. The theme is "Simplicity and Ecojustice", responding to the FWCC Kabarak call. Steve Chase is the keynote speaker.

 

June 16 - 10:00 am - 3rd Sunday Singing -- A Capella singing as preparation for worship. This is meant to be singing for anyone that has a desire to sing ("if you can talk you can sing"). We will start with some improvised vocalization (making sounds and listening) for a warm up.  If you have a reading you like we can try singing it. Come with your favorite tune in mind!  For questions or suggestions, please contact Guthrie Miller at 954-4224 or guthriemiller@gmail.com.

 

June 23 - Peace and Social Concerns meets the third First day of every month between worship services from 10:05 to 10:55 am, however this month the schedule is adjusted to accommodate the IMYM meeting. So please join Pam Gilchrist for what promises to be a lively Peace & Social Concerns Committee meeting.

June 23 - Business meeting for Worship will meet at the rise of the meeting and is moved from the regular date of 3rd Sunday to accommodate the IMYM gathering.

 

June 30 – The Adult Education Committee will sponsor a discussion & the topic will be announced in the Weekly Digest.

 

Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business - Fifth Month, 2013

 

Present: Jan-Willem Jansens (Clerk), Dave Wunker (Recording Clerk), Philip Balcombe, Marty Carroll, Shelley Cohen, Bob Gaines, Frank Hirsch, Marguerite Kearns, John Kretzmann, Wyn Lewis, Guthrie Miller, Pam Geyer, Pam Gilchrist, Bettina Raphael, Alan Rogers, Joan Spencer, Sally Spencer, Steve Spencer.

 

Meeting began at 12:47 with silence.

 

Meeting Query: In what ways do our meetings for worship provide a source of strength and guidance to those present? (IMYM F&P, p119, #8).

 

Minutes for Fourth Month 2013 Business MeetingRequest for approval . Approved.

 

Nominating Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Nominating Committee report

The committee report was given by the Clerk on behalf of Greg Cliburn. The Committee consists of Greg Cliburn ( Convener), Dave Giltrow, and David Henkel. The Committee nominates Meeting officers and conveners of committees except in the case of Ministry and Counsel where it also nominates members, but not the clerk, which the committee selects from among its members. It also nominates Meeting representatives to other relevant groups.

 

The committee recommends that each committee select a backup convener rather than the Nominating Committee, as had been suggested, considering how difficult it was to fill convener positions.

 

The committee recommended that the Adult Education Committee lay aside its activities for the summer and reconvene in September under the leadership of David Henkel for the first committee meeting only. The committee also recommended that the functions of greeting, fellowship, and housekeeping be combined under one convener.

 

The report was accepted with sincere gratitude. A complete report is available in the Appendix below which includes the nominations made so far and those still to be made. The following recommendations were made to the committee:

1.       It was recommended that the committee reconsider its recommendation to combine the functions of greeting, fellowship, and housekeeping. Friends anticipated that nothing would be gained with such a merger; rather that this would be a lot of work for one convener, that communications would be difficult, and that the functions do not overlap.

2.       Some Friends were concerned about the vacant Treasurer office, inquired whether our interim Treasurer could bear the burden, and recommended that this position be filled as soon as possible.

3.       Pam Gilchrist suggested establishing a separate Meeting liaison to the Santa Fe Interfaith Peace & Social Concerns Network which is a subset of the Interfaith Leadership Alliance. Pam expressed an interest in serving.

4.       Pam Gilchrist also mentioned that she felt that it was premature to appoint her as the liaison for South Santa Fe worship group. The committee was asked to try to find another liaison for South Santa Fe for the time being.

Building Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Building Committee Report

Action Item (2): Discernment of policies regarding rental procedures and requests for use of facilities as Pre-school

Action Item (3): Approval of a proposal for use of the Meetinghouse for a summer Pre-school/ playschool in June and July

Action Item (4): Approval of a proposal for use of the Meetinghouse for a Summer Day Camp in August

 

Bettina Raphael gave the report. Installation and training of an AED was recommended by the City Fire Dept. An ad hoc committee could discuss this issue and make recommendations. The Building Committee could install the unit. Should the meeting create an ad hoc committee to explore the purchases of an AED?

 

Also a consideration is providing Internet access to guest apt and rest of the Meetinghouse. Adding DSL to the guest apt or guest apt phone service or adding a wifi unit to the existing phone line in the Meetinghouse are possibilities. What additional data are needed to decide on expanding the Meeting’s Internet accessibility? Report accepted. A full electronic copy of the report is included in the Appendix below.

 

AED. Pam Geyer would be happy to convene an ad hoc committee. A refurbished unit would cost $600-$800, a new unit would cost $2400-$3000. Questions included who would need to be trained. The safety and ease of such a device were noted. An ad hoc committee can address these issues and present to the Meeting. Installation concerns can also be addressed by the committee. The committee will consist of Pam Geyer, Alan Rogers, and Dave Giltrow. The recommendation to establish the committee was approved.

 

Guest apartment Internet. There was discussion about providing Internet access to the guest apartment and Meetinghouse. It was generally felt that access should be provided and it was approved that the Building Committee would decide what kind.

 

Meeting House Use proposals. Issues include safety, cost, parking, liability especially with children, and insurance. Bob Gaines said that according to his past inquiries with our insurer, if Meeting accept the activity as part of Meeting’s activities Meeting and the party doing the activity are covered under our insurance. It was felt that (1) it should be decided how many adults are needed for the number of children, (2) at least some events should be checked with our insurance company, (3) each time if a party doing the activity is a business or a camp our insurance should be checked, and (4) perhaps a signed contract should be required. Church Mutual, our insurer, has a risk management section on their website. Their main concern is sexual abuse. It was reconfirmed that Building Committee should come up with a policy on alcohol use and fees. It was decided that for the two proposals coming up we can proceed without written policies.

 

Sally Spencer’s proposal: Sally needs a place to continue providing a preschool through the summer at the Meetinghouse. Licensure is not required for eight hours a week or less, and if income is by donation only. Sally, a Quaker teacher in the Waldorf tradition, will operate on a donation basis, will usually have class for two mornings a week with some weeks only being one morning because of holidays, from June to mid-July, no more than eight weeks total.

 

She is expecting 3 to 6 children, ages 2½ to 5, with one adult supervisor who will be Joan Spencer. She anticipates using the kitchen, bathroom, first day school room, and the garden, and Meeting room only if more participation requires its use. Reference statements were read by Marty Carroll; all were very positive. CPR certification is required for the teacher and Sally was recertified a month ago. She anticipates paying the Meeting $6/hr or $25/day which is based on 20-25% of her anticipated income. It was suggested to allow the group that has been negotiating with Sally and Beverley Weiler to come up with a fee for this activity. The Building Committee can report back to the Business Meeting for a policy on future use including whether a damage deposit is required. It was decided that spaces used need to be returned to the condition they were in initially.

 

Beverley Weiler’s proposal: Meeting house and garden space needed for a summer camp to include 6-10 camp participants which would meet Monday through Friday beginning August 5, from 9am to 3pm. Monetary donation based on enrollment. She will be teaching on Quakerism and having Day Camp fun. The proposal was approved.

 

The resident requested that for these activities the east walkway through the garden be used rather than the one to the west running beneath the resident’s windows and adjacent to his door. Donations to the Meeting based on a percentage of income appealed to the Business Meeting.

 

John Calvi’s Santa Fe Visitation

Action Item (1): Approval of proposal for John Calvi’s visitation

Business Meeting considered whether to sponsor a visitation by John Calvi. The Southside Meetinghouse is available. A presentation entitled “Avoiding Burnout” would run from 10 am to 3 pm and then from 3 pm to 4 pm a presentation about QUIT (Quaker Initiative to End Torture) on Saturday, June 22. $300-$500 is requested as a donation. There is $300 in the adult education budget that has not been allocated. John is an inspiring speaker who spoke at IMYM about 6 years ago. He considers himself the only gay, Quaker, Italian yodeler. It was decided that the visitation would be funded by donation with the Meeting guaranteeing a minimum fee of $400 made up from the Adult Education budget if necessary. People outside the Meeting will be invited. Hospitality at Sand River will be offered. Visitation and financial consequences approved.

 

Future Planning Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Future Planning Committee Report

Action Item (2): Approval of Decision regarding Camino Lejo Property

 

A subcommittee of the Future Planning Committee met with Guthrie Miller to discuss the Camino Lejo gift property. Guthrie does not want the property sold for commercial interests. He is offering to buy back the Meeting’s share of the property at its 2008 appraised value. This would need to be done before Jan 2015. The alternative is that the sale would continue but Meeting would agree not to do anything with the property except for using it for a Quaker Meeting until after his death. The Future Planning Committee recommended that the Meeting sell its share of the property back to Guthrie to mutual advantage ASAP. Business Meeting approved this option, and Guthrie will proceed with necessary actions and the Future Planning Committee will give monthly updates to Business Meeting. The Meeting Corporation was authorized to act on this approval.

A questionnaire is being considered by FPC. The nature of the Committee’s mission was discussed in the Committee. Report accepted. A full electronic copy of the report is included in the Appendix below.

 

Ministry and Counsel Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of M&C meeting report

Action Item (2): Approval of Query for Sixth Month of 2013: How do we make younger Friends, new members, and attenders feel welcome to participate in the meeting’s activities?”

(IMYM Faith & Practice, p 123, Rewrite of Queries #3 and 4).

Action Item (3): Review of what M&C has done to offer advice on vocal ministry

 

Proposal to change “make” to “invite” in query. Comment that younger friends have never offered vocal ministry. Query approved with proposed change: How do we invite younger Friends, new members, and attenders to feel welcome to participate in the meeting’s activities?”

(IMYM Faith & Practice, p 123, Rewrite of Queries #3 and 4).

 

Wyn Lewis has asked Ministry and Counsel whether the Adult Education Committee should be temporarily laid down. It was agreed to do so for the summer and David Henkel will reconvene it in the fall but will not be the permanent convener. Philip Balcombe presented an assessment of Meeting accessibility, especially for those in power chairs. Ministry and Counsel agreed with the following: a 3ft wide path in the Zaguan needed to be maintained, a threshold modification was needed between the Meeting room and the library, and the sign next to the heater needed updating. Concern with vocal ministry continues. The Committee has made available printed material regarding vocal ministry, has sponsored a worship sharing regarding vocal ministry, does a monthly review of spiritual quality of 9am and 11 am meetings, and does some gentle eldering regarding vocal ministry. Business Meeting recommended that someone suggest that longer pauses be observed between vocal ministry contributions. Ministry and Counsel will do this. Report accepted. A full electronic copy of the report is included in the Appendix below.

 

Peace & Social Concerns Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Peace & Social Concerns Committee Report

Action Item (2): Approval of wording for environmental minute for IMYM Continuing Committee

 

The committee received feedback from Meetings to which the minute was sent in February. “Events are leading” was changed to “factors are contributing” in response to feedback. Business Meeting also recommended striking “caused by corporate greed coupled with excessive political influence and rapid growth in population” because causes are multiple and it was felt that this phrase did not strengthen the minute. Njoroge Tho-Biaz is involved with interfaith congregations to work with the most troubled schools in Santa Fe. FCNL email of this past week noted that $600 billion will be used over the next decade to upgrade nuclear weapons. Ed Markey of Massachusetts in the U.S. House of Representatives has a bill to cut 100 billion in nuclear funding over the next four years. Senator Lujan has not yet signed on. Tim Downing did and will continue to be our Quaker presence at the local Citizens Climate Lobby meetings. Proposed Minute as amended approved to be forwarded to Continuing Committee. Report accepted. A full electronic copy of the report is included in the Appendix below.

 

Finance Committee and Treasurer

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Treasurer’s Report

Action Item (2): Acceptance of Finance Committee Report

 

According to our temporary Treasurer all bills have been paid and half of Good Works donations have been made and we still have money in the bank. Report accepted.

 

The Finance committee did not meet but has been charged with creating a threshing session regarding the Ann Baumann fund. Greg Cliburn offered to facilitate. Report accepted.

 

The threshing session will take place in the late summer/early fall of 2013, but not earlier than when Meeting has received confirmation about the funds that would become available from the sale of the Camino Lejo property. It was suggested that the Future Planning Committee and the Finance Committee could work together as a subcommittee to decide what should be done with large amounts of money. Email Frank with any ideas or suggestions.

 

History Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of History Committee‘s Archives report

 

The History Committee is considering how to preserve Meeting documents from its beginning in 1948. Four decisions need to be made: should we continue with a plan to archive the documents, how shall the project be funded, what depository shall we use, and should we keep a copy? Continuing to store things in the Meetinghouse may not be a good idea, but we need access. The four depositories being considered include Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Earlham. It was suggested that only Meeting minutes be digitized. Printed copies could be submitted to the archives. Business Meeting requested that the Committee proceed with the plan to archive Meeting documents. Getting a cost estimate for digitizing the Minutes should be a first priority. Marguerite will present a travel minute to be approved at next Business Meeting. Report accepted. A full electronic copy of the report is included in the Appendix below.

 

Garden Report: Dave Wunker read Alan Rogers’ report. Alan Rogers, Tammie Hayes, Dave Wunker, and a few others have worked 66 hours over the last four weekends in the garden. Activities included much weeding, some pruning, irrigation turn-on, deadheading, and general clean up. There is still a bit more Spring cleanup, weeding, pruning and fertilizing to be done. Dave Wunker and Alan Rogers plan to remove the invasive saltcedars. We welcome all to join in and generally plan to work some portion of each Saturday AM and early afternoon through the Summer and Fall. We have an Espresso machine that we bring to the gathering. Contact Alan Rogers for more information. We plan to meet in the near future to discuss fundraising for the Garden. Report accepted with deep gratitude. A full electronic copy of the report is included in the Appendix below.

 

Resident's Report for March, 2013 (4th month Business Meeting)

Resident worked about 12 hours a week during March. Activity included outdoor sweeping, handling trash and recycling, mail collection and distribution, guest apartment reservations, guest apartment cleaning and laundry, and Meetinghouse cleaning. Guest apartment occupancy: 27 nights out of a possible 31. Income: $1320 (deposits and/or payments).

Resident's Report for April, 2013 (5th month Business Meeting)

Resident worked no hours for April because of the need for eye surgery and recovery. Thanks to Ariel Harrison for booking and cleaning of the guest apartment and to Pam Geyer for watering the garden and feeding the cat (Sasha). Guest apartment occupancy: 23 nights out of a possible 30. Income: $390 (deposits and/or payments). Resident reports accepted with deep gratitude.

Co-Clerk’s Report

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Co-Clerks’ Report

APRIL 22 – MAY 17, 2013

SPECIAL ACTIVITIES

REGULAR ACTIVITIES

Assisted with facilitating discernment about requests for the use of the Meetinghouse for pre-school and summer camp programs

Clerked April MfWwatB

Fielded a few communications in which Friends expressed concerns about vocal ministry

Reviewed/edited April Minutes for MfWwatB

Collected information for M&C regarding elderly care

Prepared MfWwAtB for May 2013

Assisted in organizing discernment and sharing of information about handicapped access concerns

Reviewed/responded to many e-mails and calls, and had several personal meetings with Friends

Forwarded 2012 Census information to IMYM

Participated in May M&C Committee Mtg (ex officio)

Report accepted with gratitude.

 

Announcements

 

Next month we could celebrate the 65th anniversary of the Meeting and the 47th anniversary of being in this building. Options include any or all of the following: a history summary presentation, a cake, a notice in the newsletter. It was recommended to have a celebration after potluck and invite Southside and other Worship Groups. Invitations should go out immediately. Bob Gaines will send out invitations and worship group contacts could send out invitations to their groups. It was suggested that extra artwork of Olive Rush’s be displayed. Someone will be asked to give a short history summary, Ariel will be asked to make the cake, and if she is unable to do so, Pam Geyer has volunteered.

 

Meeting closed at 3:50 with silence.

 

APPENDIX

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends
Nominating Committee
Report to Business Meeting, May 19, 2013

This year’s Nominating Committee, consisting of Greg Cliburn (convener), David Giltrow, and David Henkel, was appointed at the March business meeting and has met several times since. Our meetings have been worshipful, and our ongoing process has been one of commitment to discerning what is best for our Meeting.

Nominating Committee is charged with nominating Meeting officers and committee conveners. It does not nominate other committee members. The exception to this is the Ministry and Counsel Committee. Ministry and Counsel has six members who serve staggered two-year terms, and selects its own clerk from among its members. Nominating Committee nominates new members, not a clerk, for Ministry and Counsel.

In this report we present a number of nominations, indicate other nominations remaining to be made, and offer other recommendations for the structure and work of committees.

Everyone we have contacted with a request to serve gave careful consideration and a thoughtful reply, but not everyone was able to accept a nomination. In some cases Friends are too busy with other commitments, including other commitments to Meeting. In other cases, Friends are bearing personal burdens that demand their full attention (and may need for support from Meeting). Some Friends who are currently serving as officers or conveners feel a need for relief. We are grateful to all who considered our requests and discussed their roles with us, as well as to those who accepted nominations.

It has been suggested that Nominating Committee name “backups” for each officer or committee convener. We agree that this is important for continuity and “institutional memory,” to prevent convener burnout, and to substitute when a convener must be absent. However, given the challenge of finding conveners through the Nominating Committee process, we recommend that each committee choose a backup convener from among its members.

We ask Meeting to accept this report as the first reading of nominations made to date. We also ask Meeting to approve our recommendations regarding the Adult Education Committee and a proposed Fellowship Committee. Finally, we ask that Friends attend to nominations remaining to be made and hold us in the Light as we continue our process, which we trust will lead to a full report at the June business meeting.

Greg Cliburn, Convener

Building Committee: Supplementary Reports

5th Month, 19, 2013

Note: The following two items are supplements to the 4th Month committee report. Business meeting at that time requested additional information. The following is a report by the convener of the committee after discussions with others.

1. Installation of and training in using an AED (Automated External Defibrillator).

Discussion of the Meeting acquiring and training in the use of an AED for certain emergency heart conditions has been informally discussed over the past several years. With our hosting a SFFD crew which covers Canyon Road on a pre-planning visit in late March, we were encouraged to investigate acquiring the device and offered training in its use. The building committee’s scope of work is obviously outside making the decision to acquire and maintain an AED unit.

The purpose for the Meeting having an AED is to be able to respond quickly to a member or attender’s unstable heart condition ahead of an ambulance’s arrival. Following a 911 call, this could be between six and ten minutes.

The Meeting has a range of medical professionals and others certified in EMT technology. It seems appropriate that an ad hoc committee could be formed by business meeting to discuss this issue using their collective knowledge and experience to recommend any appropriate actions.

The building committee could assume responsibility for installing a AED unit’s wall bracket, which is usually placed in an accessible position on a wall. In the Meeting’s case, this means paying special attention to using fasteners appropriate for adobe walls. Proximity to an electric outlet for charging batteries might also be a consideration.

ACTION: Should the Meeting create an ad hoc committee to explore the desirability and costs of acquiring and training in the use of an AED unit?

2. Providing Internet access for guest apartment visitors and also other parts of the meetinghouse.

With increasing dependence of the Internet for various uses in daily life, visitors in the Meeting’s guest apartment are inquiring about its availability in the guest apartment. At the time that a telephone line was installed some 13 years ago, it was possible for early laptop users to connect with the Internet using now obsolete dial-up connectivity via the phone line.

We have provided the ramada with Wi-Fi connectivity for roughly seven years. This is through a DSL subscription added to the Meeting’s telephone line serviced by the local company, Cybermesa. The line connects to a Wi-Fi unit. Residents can take reservations for the guest apartment as well as communicate by e-mail with Meeting members and attenders, especially for conducting Meeting business. It is also possible for guest apartment occupants to obtain the code for this Wi-Fi unit and use their portable computer in close proximity to the ramada in the garden, weather permitting.

There are two ways to provide the guest apartment with Internet service:

(a) Adding DSL availability to the separate guest apartment phone service with direct wire connection to guests’ computers. This may require adding a modem to accommodate computers which only receive transmitted signals.

(b) If technically feasible, adding a Wi-Fi unit to the existing phone line in the meetinghouse which ties into the ramada/meetinghouses’s existing DSL service. This would mean that the meetinghouse would become Internet accessible in the library, meetingroom, First Day schoolroom, and portal. For privacy protection, a code would be used to enter the system. This solution may require writing policy for who can have access to our Internet connection.

ACTION: What additional data are needed to decide on expanding the Meeting’s Internet access? How to proceed?

Future Planning Committee Minutes, 2013.05.06
Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Attending: Philip Balcombe (co-clerk), Frank Hirsch (co-clerk), Bettina Raphael, Wyn Lewis, Rebecca Miles (co-recording clerk), Guthrie Miller, Pam Gilcrest, and Ford Robbins

The committee opened with Silence at 5:30 pm in Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey North # 209. Philip asked that the committee consider the following Query during Silence: In what ways does our work as a committee help our Meeting discern its future?

The committee accepted the minutes of the last committee Meeting and the report to this month’s Meeting for Worship with attention to business.

The committee reviewed the report of the subcommittee that had met with Guthrie Miller on April 28, 2013 to discuss his offer to buy back the property he is giving to Meeting. Two options were discussed, as follows:

  1. Option 1: Guthrie would buy back the Meeting's current 55% share of ownership in the property at the appraised value in 2008 of $300,000, or $165,000, to be paid in one lump sum to Meeting. Such a sale would need to take place before January 2015 when the Meeting is slated to own 100% of the property.

  2. Option 2: Full transfer of the property to the Meeting would proceed, with a new contract being written in which the Meeting agrees that during Guthrie's lifetime, or while he is still owner of the adjacent property, the Meeting will not do anything with the land other than use it for a new meetinghouse, should the opportunity present itself.

 

Action Item: The committee will recommend to Business Meeting that it accept Guthrie's generous buyback offer (Option 1 above). It should be clearly noted that a decision must be made by Meeting by around December 2014, given that in January 2015 the Meeting will own 100% of the property. Committee members felt that Guthrie's wishes regarding the property should be respected and that Option 1 benefited both Guthrie and the Meeting in an immediate and tangible way.

The committee discussed the possibility of sending a questionnaire to Meeting members/attenders in order to obtain information that could be used by the committee in their deliberations about the future. However, there was not unity in the committee on whether or not to proceed with the development of a questionnaire.

There was also some discussion about the nature of the committee's mission. The committee is unclear about its specific role and charge and will discuss it again at the next committee meeting. Bettina will try to find the original mission statement, which dates back to about 2005.

The committee adjourned at 8:00 pm with Silence.

Committee recording clerk, Rebecca Miles

Ministry and Counsel Committee Report

Wyn Lewis, the only active member of the Adult Education Committee, has asked M&C for assistance in determining whether the committee needs to be temporarily laid down or if the committee and its work need to be reconfigured. M&C will continue to consider the matter and invites comments from others.

Philip Balcombe presented an assessment of meetinghouse accessibility, especially for persons using power chairs. The committee agreed that several actions are needed: leaving a 3 foot wide path in the zaguan; reshaping the threshold between worship room and library; and updating the sign by the heater. M&C will take the lead in assisting Friends to be mindful of accessibility requirements, such as keeping the meeting room entryway and the area in front of the heater free of chairs.

M&C is considering how best to assist with the situations of a number of members and attenders.

Query for Sixth Month of 2013: "How do we make younger Friends, new members, and attenders feel welcome to participate in the meeting's activities?" (IMYM Faith & Practice, p 123, Rewrite of Queries #3 and 4).

 

5/19/2013 A report to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting Worship with Attention to Business from the Peace and Social Concerns Committee.

Attending were Timothy Downing, Njoroge Tho-Bias and Pam Gilchrist

1. On September 2011, Santa Fé Monthly Meeting came to unity on a version of the following Environmental Minute. Today both the committee and Business meeting amended the Minute. Business Meeting came to unity on the following version to submit to IMYM Continuing Committee.

We of the Intermountain Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) are deeply concerned by the diminishing biological diversity, resource depletion, and environmental pollution. These factors are contributing to climate change, poverty, malnutrition and wars waged over resources. The indiscriminate deployment of technology and excessive expansion of industry that are reflected in the collective economic choices we make illustrate our shared complicity. We believe that our lives must speak in harmony with all creation: in our households, our community, and in our larger society.

Our concerns emanate from our Peace testimony and our testimonies of Simplicity, Integrity, Community, and Equality - in that we are one with God’s creation and stewards of what we have inherited. We call upon ourselves to bring our lives into alignment with the natural systems upon which we depend for survival and right living, and to adopt modes of living, economic choices, and public advocacy that contribute to achieving a balance with the natural world.

2. Njoroge Tho-Biaz is our Meeting’s representative to an interfaith effort to organize a Task Force to improve the quality of public education in Santa Fe and he needs others from our Meeting to attend work day meetings and volunteer in the schools. Please contact Njoroge to be involved – we need help!  Njoroge Tho-Biaz drimagination@gmail.com or call 415-710-3808

The initial priority of the Task Force is to develop a cadre of volunteers to work with Communities in Schools (CiS) in a program designed in collaboration with the SF Public School System to lift the schools in the lowest level of performance out of their present situation. Since these schools are also those impacted by high levels of poverty, the challenge will be to identify the barriers that face such children, and to help students deal effectively with them. CiS has an enviable track record, nationally, with just such programs.  The local group will also build on the success of the local Santa Fe for Students program out of which it has grown. Our efforts to enlist a cadre of volunteers to work with the CiS/SFPS in this new program is both a major challenge and a major opportunity to make a significant contribution to improving public education in Santa Fe.

3. FCNL reports that our country is preparing to spend more than $600 billion over the next decade to maintain and upgrade a nuclear weapons arsenal that was designed to fight the Cold War. Rep.

Ed Markey (MA) and 40 other representatives have proposed the Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures (SANE) Act, H.R. 1506, which would cut at least a $100 billion from spending on nuclear weapons over the next 10 years. 

REP. LUJAN HAS NOT yet signed on.  We will urge our representative to support this legislation to cut spending on nuclear weapons. PLEASE write him a letter urging support of this important bill. P&SC will bring a letter writing opportunity to the meeting.

4. Timothy Downing is the P&SC representative to the local Citizens Climate Lobby. We will bring opportunities to take action as they arise.

Pam Gilchrist

On September 2011, Santa Fe Monthly Meeting came to unity on a version of the following Environmental Minute. IMYM is invited to amend, adopt and take action on this Minute:

We of the Intermountain Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) are deeply concerned by the diminishing biological diversity, resource depletion, and environmental pollution. These factors are contributing to climate change, poverty, malnutrition and wars waged over resources. The indiscriminate deployment of technology and excessive expansion of industry that are reflected in the collective economic choices we make illustrate our shared complicity. We believe that our lives must speak in harmony with all creation: in our households, our community, and in our larger society.

Our concerns emanate from our Peace testimony and our testimonies of Simplicity, Integrity, Community, and Equality - in that we are one with God’s creation and stewards of what we have inherited. We call upon ourselves to bring our lives into alignment with the natural systems upon which we depend for survival and right living, and to adopt modes of living, economic choices, and public advocacy that contribute to achieving a balance with the natural world.

History Committee
5th Month, 19, 2013

Planning for preserving Meeting records and other significant documents

Acting on the concern of Marguerite Kearns (past resident and recording clerk), a meeting was arranged with the convener of the history committee/Meeting archivist to discuss the need to preserve the Meeting’s primary and significant records, and other archival worthy documents, e.g. photographs. Planning for creating the Meeting’s digital records archives is thus in the formative stage and the committee requests Meeting’s comments before moving forward.

Earlier archiving. The Meeting has already photographed and catalogued what is called “The Olive Rush Archives”. These holdings include Olive’s paintings, sketches, notes, letters, exhibition records and photographs. They came from either residual items when her bequest came into effect in August, 1966, or from donations by individuals in subsequent years following Olive’s death. Both original and duplicate records are kept in the meetinghouse as a combination of paper and CD items produced by Kate Pope in 2006 while interned at the Museums of New Mexico.

Nature of records to be archived. The categories of the Meeting’s records are varied but straightforward.

Business meeting records are in various formats from the initial formation of the Meeting in May, 1948, to the present. From the beginning to mid-1970, the business meeting minutes were either handwritten into legal size ledgers or typed manuscripts inserted into the large ledger books. These would be scanned or, less stressful to the ledgers, photographed into digital files.

The later business meeting minutes are in paper newsletters to about 2006. Subsequently, and to the present, “Letter to Friends” newsletters, including Meeting minutes, became primarily distributed by e-mail and are already digitized. However, the latter files need to collected and checked for continuity as well as conformity to file format selected for the central archives.

Other Meeting-wide records are reports from committees, threshing sessions, construction and building maintenance projects, treasurers’ reports and bank statements, and sporadic collected clerks’ correspondence. We have random newspaper clippings related to Meeting and members’ appearances in The New Mexican. We also have visitors’ books for both the Meeting and the guest apartment.

Individual members and attenders’ records include membership forms, letters of application for membership and letters requesting release from membership, weddings, letters of conscience, birth announcements, travelling minutes, memorial minutes and obituaries. A policy on access to personal records would be developed.

Process and destination. The technical process of digitizing this array of Meeting records is yet to be determined.

The top end of the range is to contract with a company which would either receive the records at their facility or bring appropriate equipment to the meetinghouse to process the records in a turnkey manner. At the other end is to do the digitizing within the talent of the Meeting, using members’ equipment (scanner, camera, and computer).

The latter procedure could reflect how we created The Olive Rush Archives, using an intern/college student level person to do the work at the meetinghouse under direction of the history committee members.

We have conducted a preliminary, quick investigation of where our records could be stored. We have discovered that four historic Friends colleges have established sections of their special collections devoted to Quaker history, including records from yearly and monthly meetings. These include Swarthmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr and Earlham.

Decisions to be taken. We believe four main decisions areas are needed by the Meeting before proceeding:

(1) Whether or not to move forward with archiving our records;

(2) Deciding on how to fund the project;

(3) Determining which depository should receive a digital copy of the records;

(4) Determining if the original records will be moved out of the Meeting to the selected depository with a digital copy and how many digital copies will be retained in Santa Fe and their locations.

Submitted by Marguerite Kearns and David Giltrow

 

Garden Committee Report

5th Month, 2013

During April Dave Wunker was out of commission with eye problems and Alan Rogers was away caring for a family member. Pam Geyer and Peggy Giltrow stepped in with regular hand watering. Alan Rogers Assisted with this on his return.

Alan Rogers was asked to convene the Garden Committee and agreed. It is unclear if there are any other members other than Alan Rogers and our resident, Dave Wunker.

The Garden Committee began meeting regularly on Saturday mornings starting on April 27th.

4/27/13 – Alan Rogers, Tammi Hayes worked for 5 hours and Lester Maas joined us for an hour or two; a total of 11 hours worked. We got a fair amount of weeding, deadheading and pruning done. Also did some hand watering.

5/4/13 – Alan Rogers, Dave Wunker worked for 10.5 hours each and Bob Gaines and Ariel Hansen joined us for a few hours; a total of 24 hours worked. Weeding, pruning, drip irrigation turn on and general garden cleanup were done.

5/11/13 – Alan Rogers, Dave Wunker and Tammi Hayes worked 4+ hours each; a total of 13 hours worked. Weeding, pruning and general garden cleanup were done.

5/18/13 – Alan Rogers, Dave Wunker and Tammi Hayes worked 6 hours each; a total of 18 hours worked. Weeding and general garden cleanup were done.

Exclusive of other time that Dave Wunker puts in as resident (I suspect that will be in the Resident’s report) and also exclusive of the hand watering time by Pam Geyer and Peggy Giltrow, the Garden Committee has worked 66 person hours the last 4 weekends. We think it shows. The garden is looking great. There is still a bit more Spring cleanup, weeding, pruning and fertilizing to be done. Dave Wunker and Alan Rogers plan to remove the invasive Salt Cedars.

We have expended no funds that I am aware of this year. There are a few receipts from Last Fall that haven’t been submitted (for the Fall plantings). We have made no new plantings this Spring, but there are several areas that have suffered the loss of plant material over the winter or from prior drought years. We will be considering what to do. We have not needed to hire the Smallz Brothers for assistance with weeding. We could use more assistance from other Friends and friends to share in the work and companionship. We welcome all to join in and generally plan to work some portion of each Saturday AM and early afternoon through the Summer and Fall. We have an Espresso machine that we bring to the gathering. Contact Alan Rogers for more information. One doesn’t have to join the Garden Committee to participate. Come once a year, every week or something in between.

We note that the 2 large Apricots that border our property to the East appear no longer to be watered by our neighbors and wonder if we should contact the property owner as they are in danger of dying. We could also water deeply on our side of the fence.

We plan to meet in the near future to discuss fundraising for the Garden (as discussed at the worship sharing on the Garden a few months ago).

Current required levels of time and energy appear unsustainable unless others step forward and there will be a great loss of person power and time when Dave Wunker leaves us.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Rogers

Document Actions