Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2013 Newsletters / July 2013 Newsletter

July 2013 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Seventh month 2013

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

 

Sunday, 7/07 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting, 1:30 Ministry and Counsel Committee

Sunday, 7/14 10:10 2nd Sunday Friends Worship Sharing

Sunday, 7/21 12:30 10:10 am Peace & Social Concerns &/or A Capella singing, 12:30 am,

Meeting for Worship for Business

 

The Monthly Query for the 7th month, 2013

“How do we structure our days so as to provide space to nourish our spiritual growth?”
(IMYM Faith & Practice, p 138, Rewrite of Query #2, first sentence).

 

Announcements

July 3 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

 

July 7 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 a.m. meeting. A discussion will be held in the garden regarding the placement of a swing for young friends. See next message please!

 

July 7 – Ministry & Counsel will meet after the potluck, usually around 1:30 p.m.

 

July 14 – 2ND Sunday Friends Journal Worship Sharing we will continue to visit the article “An Ecology of the Spirit” by Martin Melville from the June/July 2012 Friends Journal. Copies of this article will be available in the folder next to the bird house in the library.  Everyone is invited to attend!  We will begin at 10:10 am and close at 10:50 am.  Friends are encouraged to suggest articles, letters or poems from The Friends Journal to consider in future worship sharing’s - Please call Howard Shulman @ 984-9908.

 

July 21 - 10:00 am - 3rd Sunday Singing -- A Capella singing as preparation for worship. This is meant to be singing for anyone that has a desire to sing ("if you can talk you can sing"). We will start with some improvised vocalization (making sounds and listening) for a warm up.  If you have a reading you like we can try singing it. Come with your favorite tune in mind!  For questions or suggestions, please contact Guthrie Miller at 954-4224 or guthriemiller@gmail.com.

 

July 21 - Peace and Social Concerns meets the third First day of every month between worship services from 10:05 to 10:55 am.

 

Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Sixth Month, 2013

 

Present: Bob Gaines (acting Clerk), Dave Wunker (Recording Clerk), Philip Balcombe, Greg Cliburn, Pam Geyer, Pam Gilchrist , Peggy Giltrow, Rebecca Henderson, John Kretzmann, Frank Hirsch, Alan Rogers, Roxanne Seagraves

 

Meeting began at 12:35 pm with silence.

 

Bob Gaines read the Kabarak Call for Peace and Ecojustice.

 

Minutes for Fifth Month 2013 Business Meeting – Approved. Called meeting minutes of June 9, 2013 will be added to the minutes for today.

 

Nominating Committee

The Nominating Committee report was read by Greg Cliburn. An email was sent out asking for additional people to serve and there was no response.

 

Adult Education and Ministry and Counsel proposed to let the Adult Education Committee lie fallow until September and Business Meeting approved.

 

The Meeting agreed to have a representative to the Santa Fe Interfaith Peace and Social Concerns Committee. Pam Gilchrist was nominated and approved.

 

The Watching Committee was not included in this report because the previous Nominating Committee had nominated John Kretzmann, Bettina Raphael, and David Giltrow in December 2012 and those nominations were approved at the March 2013 business meeting. The members of the Watching Committee are appointed for three year terms.

 

The Meeting still needs 2 members for Ministry and Counsel (most important), and conveners for Adult Ed and Fellowship, and a co-convener for Finance. Meeting representatives to the Los Alamos and South Santa Fe Groups are also needed.

 

Rebecca Allahyari cannot continue as the Greeter convener, and Pam Geyer would like to be relieved of being the Housekeeping convener. Pam is willing to continue as Housekeeping convener until a replacement is found. The Fellowship Committee has nobody at present. The Nominating Committee has no knowledge of anyone wanting to take on that responsibility. Ministry and Counsel was asked to consider the problem with greeting and fellowship and make recommendations to Business Meeting.

 

Frank Hirsch will bring a proposal to consolidate committees to the next Business Meeting.

 

Business Meeting asked the Residence Committee to consider having the Resident again be responsible for closing the building on Sunday and to ask for volunteers if the Resident cannot be present. The Nominating Committee will look for an organizer for cleaning after potluck.

 

Pam Geyer offered to be Library convener and the business meeting approved.

 

Unfilled vacancies will be left in the hands of the Nominating Committee for another month. The report was accepted and the list of nominees was approved with great gratitude.

 

Building Committee

There was a called Meeting for Business on June 9th to approve $4,000 for building-related projects. Dave Wunker said that his start on the projects has been delayed because of a class in Albuquerque and time taken to cut down the salt cedars. He will begin the projects as soon as possible. There is concern for the wear and tear that the Olive Rush rugs on the bench may be experiencing. It was suggested to leave them on the bench because they add to the room ambiance. Bettina will be looking into this. Report accepted.

 

First Day School Committee

No oral report. Electronic report in Appendix below.

 

Future Planning Committee

An oral report was presented because an electronic one (with hardcopy) was unavailable. The Future Planning Committee would like the Watching Committee to clarify what Meeting can or cannot do according to Olive Rush’s bequest. The Committee would like to know of options they don’t need to consider or can’t consider because of the limitations imposed by the bequest. The Business Meeting minuted that the Future Planning Committee will ask the advice of Watching Committee on whether we can legally and ethically sell the Meetinghouse and whether those questions need to be answered now. The Future Planning Committee oral report was accepted and the written report will be considered next month.

 

Finance Committee and Treasurer

We are paying all our bills, there is money in the bank, and the donations trickle in. Report accepted.

 

Ministry and Counsel Committee

How do we structure our days so as to provide space to nourish our spiritual growth?” (IMYM Faith & Practice, p 138, Rewrite of Query #2, first sentence). Query accepted. No report from Ministry and Counsel.

 

Peace & Social Concerns Committee

Pam Gilchrist attended the Continuing Committee at IMYM. Three Meetings had acted or decided not to act on our environmental minute. The whole focus of IMYM this year was on the environment. Interest in our process continues with IMYM. A process was proposed to ask each meeting to develop their own minute and share minutes between meetings. FCNL worked on the B61 bomb refurbishment issue including working with Tom Udall, and FCNL has changed its mind on the best legislation to work for the environment. Instead of a price on carbon it is now supporting Senate Bill 761 which will be discussed more at a future Business Meeting. IMYM asked that the Kabarak Call be read at every Business Meeting in the Yearly Meeting. Report accepted with gratitude.

 

History Committee

Marguerite Kearns is going to Pendle Hill this fall. She is traveling under a concern for her activism and writing, interest in suffrage, and to use the library to continue her research. She is also under a concern for our Meeting for permanent archiving of our records. Business Meeting agreed to send a traveling minute to Pendle Hill.

 

Garden Committee

Garden looks very nice. Eighty to eighty-five hours have been worked in the garden. Many plants are blooming. The salt cedars were removed. At least one leak in the drip system was fixed. Past bills are being reviewed. Water use by the Resident and guest apt varies from anywhere from 900 gals. to 6,000-8,000 gals. per month more recently. Water usage this time of year not that much higher but it is higher for the whole year. We can get a discount because of the leak if it is obvious that the leak caused our bill to go up considerably.

 

Water conservation and fundraising was considered to minimize costs. A question to consider is how public do we want to make the Friends Meeting’s grounds. Would we consider a donation box? Business Meeting should consider approving a visitor’s sign on the gate and a possible donation box although the latter is less important. A third action item is to put up a ramada - like structure over the lawn chairs to protect them and give a shady place to sit. Wisteria or clematis could be grown to climb on it to provide shade, beauty, and fragrance. Cost estimate needed. Report accepted with thanks.

 

Ad hoc garden fundraising committee with Howard Shulman in charge was approved.

 

Resident’s Report

Resident worked about 22 hours per week during May. Usual tasks performed with the addition of much more garden work, mostly weeding. Guest apartment occupied for 21 days out of a possible 31 and income was $1100 including deposits and/or payments. Report accepted.

 

Clerk’s Report

The clerk facilitated further discernment for pre-school and summer programs and composed policy template for now and future use. He also facilitated discernment for the care of several Friends, and elderly care issues were addressed. Handicapped access concerns were also addressed. Report accepted.

 

Other Business

As a result of yesterday’s memorial service for Jean Mayes, it was recommended that those conducting an event need to provide someone to be in the Meetinghouse if it is used. The Resident was asked whether a handout could be given to folks wanting to use the Meetinghouse outlining their responsibilities and what the Resident’s responsibilities should be. Ford and Nichoe are writing a memorial minute for Jean.

 

Announcements

There was a good workshop with John Calvi at South Santa Fe Meeting yesterday and about 9 people attended. Meeting support was appreciated.

 

Meeting concluded in silence at 3:10 pm.

 

APPENDIX

 

Nominating Committee Report to Business Meeting, June 23, 2013

This year’s Nominating Committee, consisting of Greg Cliburn (convener), David Giltrow, and David Henkel, was appointed at the March Business Meeting and presented an initial report to the May Business Meeting. In this second report, we offer a fuller slate of nominations, discuss vacancies that remain in two important areas, and recommend changes for the structure and work of committees.

Nominating Committee is charged with nominating Meeting officers and committee conveners. It does not nominate other committee members. The exception to this is the Ministry and Counsel Committee. Ministry and Counsel has six members who serve staggered two-year terms, and selects its own clerk from among its members. Nominating Committee nominates new members, not a clerk, for Ministry and Counsel.

 

We have made progress since our May report, but vacancies remain in two important areas: Ministry and Counsel, and the fellowship-oriented tasks of greeting, fellowship, and housekeeping. We turn to Meeting to consider these vacancies and decide how to proceed. We again recommend that the fellowship-oriented tasks be consolidated in a new Fellowship Committee. This committee would coordinate volunteers to greet attenders as they arrive, to set up for fellowship time after meeting for worship, and to close the meetinghouse when it is not being used by other groups after meeting for worship. Meeting did not accept this recommendation in May, but we present it again as a simple way to bring related tasks together and decrease the number of committees and conveners.

 

The Nominating Committee process is one of worshipful commitment to discerning what is best for our Meeting, not a simple matter of calling for volunteers. Nonetheless, we did publish a note in a recent weekly digest, asking Friends to contact the committee clerk if they feel led to serve Meeting in any capacity or have questions about how they might serve. We received no responses. We are concerned about how this reflects the state of our Meeting, and we commend it to Ministry and Counsel for consideration.

 

We ask Meeting to take five actions: (1) accept this report as the final reading of nominations made to date, (2) approve our recommendation to lay down the Adult Education committee until Fall, (3) approve our recommendation for a consolidated Fellowship Committee, (4) decide whether to send a representative to the Santa Fe Interfaith Peace and Social Concerns Committee, as was discussed at the May Business Meeting, and (5) decide how to proceed on vacancies that remain.

Greg Cliburn, Convener

 

Nominations for Meeting Officers and Committee Conveners

* = Nomination still to be made

Clerk: Jan-Willem Jansens

Recording Clerk: Peggy Giltrow. (Shelley Cohen will provide backup. Dave Wunker will continue through July.)

Treasurer: Greg Cliburn

Recorder: Philip Balcombe

Archivist: David Giltrow

Adult Education Committee: *. We recommend that the committee lay aside its activity for the summer and reconvene in September.

Building Committee: David Giltrow

Communications Committee: Marcy Pompei. (Marcy has agreed to continue editing the newsletter and digests.)

Conscientious Objection Committee: Howard Shulman

Fellowship Committee: *. We recommend that a new Fellowship Committee be formed to combine the currently separate functions of greeting, fellowship, and housekeeping.

Finance (co-conveners): Roxanne Seagraves, *

Future Planning Committee (ad hoc) (co-conveners): Philip Balcombe, Frank Hirsch

Garden: Alan Rogers

Good Works (co-conveners): Anna Darrah, David Henkel

History: David Giltrow

Library: *.

Ministry and Counsel: Two new members to be nominated, as Njoroge Tho-Biaz and Ann Beauchamp will complete their two-year terms in June.

Naming Committee: To be appointed by Business Meeting after July.

Peace and Social Concerns: Pam Gilchrist

Residence: Marty Carroll

Young Friends: James Hogan

 

Nominations for Representatives and Contacts

* = Nomination still to be made

AFSC Contacts: David Henkel, Anna Darrah, Mi’Jan Tho-Biaz

FCNL Contact: Pam Gilchrist

Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts Contacts: Ford Robbins and Caroline Rackley

IMYM Representatives Committee: Rebecca Henderson

IMYM Nominating Committee: Allen Winchester

Santa Fe Interfaith Leadership Alliance: Bob Gaines

Santa Fe Interfaith Peace and Social Concerns Network: Pam Gilchrist

New Mexico Regional Meeting Representative: Rebecca Henderson

Pendle Hill Contact: Marty Carroll

Worship Groups under Our Care

  1. Las Vegas: David Henkel

  2. Los Alamos: *

  3. South Santa Fe: *

  4. Taos (Clearlight): Irene Webb

  5. Tres Piedras: Mary Wyse

 

BUILDING COMMITTEE REPORT: SIXTH MONTH, 23, 2013

Last month's building committee report summarized upcoming committee projects related mainly to accessibility and safety for the garden space. The committee is working from a planning list of some 24 items which were discussed in some detail at the last committee meeting held in May. Further refinement of that list with estimates of priorities and costs will constitute the committee's work throughout the summer and into the fall.

Since then, a one item Called Meeting for Business (6th month 9) approved an expenditure of $5,000 from the Maintenance Account for the accessibility items which include putting down pavers for 3 foot wide garden paths and an emergency use gate for the west-side coyote fence. Also included is making the doorway between the meetingroom and library accessible for certain types of power chairs. These projects will be mainly undertaken by committee member and resident Dave Wunker.

    Respectfully submitted, David Giltrow

 

First Day School Committee meeting - Sunday June 9th 9:30 to 11:00

Present: Marty Carroll, Beverly Weiler, Bonny Moss, Lester Maas, Rebecca Miles, James Hogan

(1)   Plans for use of the FDS space and the garden by summer camps

Marty reported on potential summer camps using the FDS space and the garden.  Meeting developed guidelines for considering these types of requests and how to share this space with out causing problems.  While meeting moved quickly Sally Spenser may have lost some children from her program so it may not be going forward.  Beverley will be running her summer cap again around the week of August 5th

(2) Discussion of when FDS children leave/return to meeting - input request from Ministry and Counsel

This item created significant discussion.  In general the FDS committee was not supportive of this request for the following reasons – first given children’s attention spans adding an additional 10 minutes will stress the FDS program. Also there is a strong feeling that children are a part of meeting and their participation at the start of meeting and end is valuable for both them and the rest of meeting – this proposal distances their participation in meeting.   

We are sympathetic to the issues that there is not enough quite time to center during meeting, however we feel that other options should be considered – for example eliminate joy/sorrows/concerns; allow late comers to only come in as the children leave.  A member of the FDS committee will draft some of these suggestions and provide them to Ministry and Counsel as we think there are ways to improve the quality of silent worship without changing the current meeting schedule.

(3) Update on Future Planning Committee efforts

Rebecca has been participating in this committee as a representative from the FDS committee.  She indicated that she will serve one year and plans to end her service at this time, roughly September of this year.

(4) New carpet and other items to enhance FDS space.

Given all of our recent success – new swingset! piano sold! old bureau moved out! We set our sights on new goals and briefly discussed a new carpet for the FDS room – Rebecca provided sample square of a low-VOC tile type carpet.  Visiting the re-store to see what might be available was also suggested.  Other ideas are welcome and we will revisit this topic as a new carpet when we move in to Fall and Winter would be a great addition!

(5) Continuing discussion FDS Curriculum

This item was not discussed.

(6) Continuing discussion on behavioral standards we would like to have for FDS, and how to encourage the children to follow

This item was not discussed.

(7) Scheduling of the next FDS Committee meeting.

FDS committee will take a summer break – the next meeting is scheduled for September 8th.  If there is a critical need for a meeting before them one can be called.

 

Ministry & Counsel Report for Business Meeting (June 23, 2013)

M & C met June 2. All but two members were in attendance.

 

Meeting Closers for July and August: Karen Kuranz, Carolyn Sigstedt and Jan-Willem Jansens will share this task

during the next two months. Karen will close July 7 & 14, and Aug 4, 11, & 18. Carolyn and Jan-Willem will handle the remaining dates.

 

Observations on the spiritual life of the 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Canyon Road Meetings: The 9 a.m. meeting is doing well. Members are reaching out to several attenders who are ill. The 11 a.m. has been lively with pro and con views being expressed about vocal ministry.

 

Observations on the spiritual life of other worship groups: South Santa Fe Meeting has purchased a meeting house at 2098 Calle Ensenada and is in the process of remodeling it, by using the labor of members as well as a part time contractor. They are also applying for a variance to use the house for Quaker Meetings. The lease at their current location on Camino Carlos Rey expires July 31. They are holding frequent meetings to discuss members and attenders recommendations and concerns about the remodeling process.

 

The Las Vegas Worship Group continues to meet. Curtis Sollohub is receiving treatment for cancer that includes mobile use of oxygen. He attended IMYM for one day and reported feeling better. We ask that you hold him in the light.

 

Los Alamos Worship Group is not meeting on a regular basis. Martha Davis, a member there and at Canyon Road Meeting, is struggling with cancer treatment and would like to hear from more members. She has a Caring Bridge account. M & C will assist in creating a support group for her. We ask that you hold her in the light.

 

We did not hear from the other Worship Groups.

 

We recommend the following Query for July: “How do we structure our days so as to provide space to nourish our spiritual growth? (Faith & Practice: Simplicity, first sentence of Query #2 with the word “How” added at the beginning, page138.)

 

Vocal Ministry: M & C continues to hear about and discuss concerns about vocal ministry and recommends holding worship sharing sessions every now and then to educate Friends about vocal ministry and other worship issues. We recommend the next one to be held Aug 25 after rise of meeting. A theme and queries will be discussed at the July, M & C meeting. The committee discussed encouraging members and attenders to look within themselves, regarding their complaints about others. We discussed encouraging Friends to talk directly to one another about their concerns and to be more tolerant toward one another.

 

Joys, Sorrows & Concerns: After a spirited discussion M & C recommends that Joys, Sorrows and Concerns continue to be expressed at noon after the end of silent worship and Announcements will follow. This would occur in June and possibly July. After consultation with Marty Carroll it was recommended to have children come in at the usual time.

 

A Clearness Committee consisting of Carolyn Sigstedt and Bob Gaines will meet with Lowber Welsch to discuss his request to become a member of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. A previous committee was unable to meet with him due to various scheduling problems.

 

Jean Mayes Memorial Minute: Betsy Lombardi and Ford Robbins agreed to assist M & C in putting together information for a Minute on Jean. She served as resident of Canyon Road, from 1989-92 and attended meetings there before leaving town.

 

End of Life Documents: The End of Life documents have been found. M & C will assist Jan-Willem in updating them.

 

Care of Members: M & C discussed ongoing concerns about several members and is assisting a member in finding a case worker to help the person with health and other issues.

 

Our meeting ended with silence. The next M & C Committee Meeting is July 7, at 1:30 p.m. when two new members will be added. The terms of three members: Ann Beauchamp and Njoroge Tho-Biaz, and ex-officio member, Bob Gaines are ending. We will miss their expertise.

 

Resident's Report for May, 2013 (6th month Business Meeting)

Resident worked about 22 hours a week in May. Activity included outdoor sweeping, handling trash and recycling, mail collection and distribution, guest apartment reservations, guest apartment cleaning and laundry, and Meetinghouse cleaning. There was a lot of garden work, mainly weeding.

Guest apartment occupancy: 21 nights out of a possible 31. Income: $1100 (deposits and/or payments).

Submitted by Dave Wunker

 

SANTA FE MONTHLY MEETING OF FRIENDS

CALLED MEETING FOR WORKSHIP WITH ATTENTION TO BUSINESS

June 9, 2013

At 12:45 pm, the Clerk opened the Meeting with silence.

Approximately 12-15 Friends attended the meeting. No attendance was taken.

The Called MfWwAtB addressed only one item of business: a proposal by the Building Committee. Dave Giltrow introduced the proposal on behalf of the Building Committee. He explained that the Called Meeting was necessary to decide on a short-term use of approximately $3,500 out of the Maintenance account for building and garden improvements, while Business Meeting allows the Building Committee in general to spend only up to $200 without prior permission. The urgency of the decision is related to the short term transition of Dave Wunker (Resident) to a new Resident, and the Building Committee’s wish that Dave Wunker implement the proposed improvements because of his specific capabilities to do this work. The Building Committee proposes three items:

  1. Construction of a mini-ramp between the Meeting Room and the Library to improve access back and forth by people in power chairs

  2. Construction of a 3-feet wide paved path (with pavers) in the backyard to allow access to the garden by people in power chairs

Costs of 1 + 2 are estimated to be $3,000

  1. Construction of an emergency evacuation exit, as per the evacuation plan suggested by the City’s Fire Department; this exit plan includes the extension of a paved pathway to the back yard, construction of a gate, and construction of a ramp down in the side alleyway on neighboring property

Costs had initially been estimated to be $500; after discussion, the cost estimate went up to $1,000

David Giltrow informed us that the Maintenance account for the Building has sufficient funds to cover these costs; and there will be no impact on the General Fund.

One Friend expressed gratitude for this measure and inquired whether it is possible for handicapped people to easily evacuate further from the neighbor’s land with a power chair. David Giltrow responded that the alleyway, although not paved, is sufficiently hardened that he estimates that a power chair can reach the street. David Giltrow clarified further that the measure to construct the emergency exit was conceived particularly with the children of our Meeting in mind, i.e., in order to create a collection point for all children.

The Clerk asked what amount is available in the Maintenance account and whether there would be any impact on any other future / planned maintenance expenses. Dave Wunker and David Giltrow responded that the Maintenance account should have at least $12,000 plus those revenues received since the beginning of 2013, and that no additional maintenance expenses were costed out for the near future.

The Called Business Meeting approved the Building Committee’s proposal with the amendment that the initially anticipated costs would be increased with $500 to a total of $4,000.

The Called Meeting closed in silence at 1:09 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Jan-Willem Jansens, Clerk, and ad-hoc Recording Clerk

Document Actions