Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2013 Newsletters / August 2013 Newsletter

August 2013 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Eighth month 2013

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

 

Sunday, 8/04 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting, 1:30 Ministry and Counsel Committee

Sunday, 8/11 10:10 2nd Sunday Friends Worship Sharing

Sunday, 8/18 12:30 10:10 am Peace & Social Concerns &/or A Capella singing, 12:30 am,

Meeting for Worship for Business

Sunday, 8/25 12:30 Regular Meetings for Worship

 

Query for the 8th month, 2013

Are we prepared to let go of our individual desires and let the Holy Spirit lead us to unity?” (IMYM Faith & Practice, p121, #6, first question)

 

Announcements

 

Aug. 9:00 meetings – the Southside Meeting will join the 9:00 meeting for worship while awaiting construction renovations on their new building @ 2098 Calle Ensenada A warm welcome is extended to the Southside group while attending the 9:00 meeting in August. In response to an over attended 11:00 am meeting, Canyon Road members and attenders are given a gentle reminder of the availability of the 9:00 meeting.

Aug 4 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 a.m. meeting. A discussion will be held in the garden regarding the placement of a swing for young friends. See next message please!

 

Aug. 4 – Ministry & Counsel will meet after the potluck, usually around 1:30 p.m.

 

Aug. 4 - Join Pax Christi Santa Fe in a Hiroshima Commemoration at 2:00pm on at Ashley Pond in Los Alamos. We will don “sackcloths” and sit in ashes, as taken from the Bible’s book of Jonah, in repentance of sins against humankind. There will be closing remarks by Fr. John Dear. See Pam Gilchrist for more information.

 

Aug. 7 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

 

Aug 11 –   2ND Sunday Friends Journal Worship Sharing article is “The Covenant of Peace” by Gerard Guiton from the May 2012 Friends Journal.  Beginning this Sunday, copies of this article will be available in the folder next to the bird house in the library or at http://www.friendsjournal.org/the-covenant-peace/. Everyone is invited to attend!  We will begin at 10:10 am and close at 10:50 am.  Friends are encouraged to suggest articles, letters or poems from Friends Journal to consider in future Worship Sharing’s.  For questions please contact Howard Shulman @ 984-9908.

 

Aug. 18 – 10:00 am, 3rd Sunday Singing -- A Capella singing as preparation for worship. This is meant to be singing for anyone that has a desire to sing ("if you can talk you can sing"). We do improvised vocalization (making sounds and listening), chanting, or singing hymns from our hymn book "Worship in Song". If you have a favorite reading we can try chanting it.  For questions or suggestions, please contact Guthrie Miller at 954-4224 or guthriemiller@gmail.com.

 

Aug. 18- Peace and Social Concerns meets the third First day of every month between worship services from 10:05 to 10:55 am, Pam Gilchrist chairs these efforts and will publish topic in the weekly digest.

Aug. 18 - Business meeting for Worship will meet at the rise of the meeting and is moved from the regular date of 3rd Sunday to accommodate the IMYM gathering.

Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Seventh Month, 2013

Present: Bob Gaines (acting Clerk), Dave Wunker (Recording Clerk), Philip Balcombe, Pam Geyer, Bob Gaines, Pam Gilchrist , Rebecca Henderson, John Kretzmann, Frank Hirsch, Wyn Lewis, Alan Rogers, Roxanne Seagraves, Howard Shulman, Joan Spencer, Steve Spencer, Allen Winchester

Meeting Query: Do we regard our time, talents, energy, money, material possessions, and other resources as gifts from God, to be held in trust and shared according to the Light we are given? (IMYM F&P p 139, 1).

 

Meeting began at approximately 12:35 pm with silence.

 

Minutes for Sixth Month 2013 Business Meetingrequest for approval. In regard to the ad hoc garden fundraising committee mentioned in the previous month’s Garden Committee report, Howard Shulman said he is willing to be on the Ad Hoc Fundraising Committee for the Garden Committee but is only willing to convene the first meeting of that committee. The Minutes were approved with this modification.

 

Proposed Consolidation of Committees

Frank Hirsch presented a plan to consolidate Meeting committees according to seven major categories by function. One or two conveners would serve each committee. The seven committees suggested are 1) [INSERT: Building: to include Garden, Library, Housekeeping, Residence], 2) Communications Committee, to include History, Newsletter, and Digest, 3) Educational Committee to include Adult Education and [Y]young Friends/FDS, 4) Finance, to include the Ad Hoc Future Planning Committee, Treasurer, Finance, and Good Works, 5) Governance Committee, to include Corporation and Watching, 6) Naming and Nominations, and 7) Spiritual Committee, to include Conscientious Objection, Fellowship, Greeters, Ministry and Council [Counsel] , and Peace and Social Concerns. Each committee would have a clerk and/or co-clerk. The Nominating committee can nominate conveners of each committee. He also shared what the UU’s are doing in regard to committees including forming a task force and workshops.

 

Pros mentioned for the proposal included a way to address Meeting’s aging population, to be more task and worship oriented, and to bring people together and thereby strengthen the Meeting. Cons mentioned included failed past attempts to do this in which actually less people felt the need to be involved, the difficulty in finding someone to clerk a super committee, and the fact that Quaker history has already vetted the present committee structure. Some suggested Meeting needs to find out how to get more people involved and to pay more attention to how the world is affecting it. It was decided that the proposal merits further study but it was tabled for now. Several people also suggested to wait and see whether the Spirit would call Friends to act, because serving on a committee should ideally be led by a calling from the Spirit.

 

Finance Committee and Treasurer

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Treasurer’s Report.

Action Item (2): Acceptance of Finance Committee Report. The deposits have been managed biweekly. There is a transition to Greg Cliburn as Treasurer. The financial statements for this year will be reviewed for him. There is a need for someone to work with Roxanne Seagraves on the Finance Committee. There is a need for a signer on the checking account. This person should not be the same person who handles the cash and who goes through the reports as an audit. Meeting is fortunate to have some wealth to move forward. Report accepted. Treasurer’s Report: The files will be handed over to Greg Cliburn next week. Report accepted.

 

Garden Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Garden Committee Report. The report by Alan Rogers was read by Dave Wunker. Report accepted.

The Garden Committee’s proposal to have a visitor’s welcome sign on the gate was considered. People on the street often ask what the building is about. A QR code on the sign, which can be read by a cell phone, could provide information for them. A sign on the gate was approved.

 

The Garden Committee’s proposal for a donation box in the garden was also considered and approved. It was suggested that it be locked and emptied nightly to discourage vagrants. It was suggested to ask Jennifer Wellington whether the Forest Service might have a discarded fee box that we could use for this purpose.

 

Future Planning Committee and Watching Committee.

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Future Planning Committee Report. The charge to the Future Planning Committee is to resolve physical inadequacies of current facilities. The Future Planning Committee found that there are places in Santa Fe available for renting or leasing that could open up the possibility of selling or renting the 630 Canyon Road property. There are also properties to buy or possibly trade. A plan was presented to remove the wall between the present meeting room and the guest room. This would increase Meeting capacity to 60 or 70 and was estimated to cost from $60 to $80 thousand dollars. If this plan were executed the guest apt income of $10,000 per year would be lost, there would be no parking increase, and there would be a difference in the level of the room floors. Also the resident quarters could be converted to a First Day School location. A Meeting-wide gathering will be scheduled to present options but a Meeting-wide meeting is needed first to come to more basic decisions. An FPC retreat is proposed for late 2013. Past threshing sessions at the UU church are available and will be incorporated for review. Report accepted with gratitude.

 

Watching Committee Report. The Committee reviewed the agreement between the Meeting and Olive Rush and concluded that the language of the will is broader and more flexible. The Agreement has a provision authorizing the passing on of the property to the Santa Fe Historical Society. The will does not mention this but only that the property be used as a place of Quaker worship. The Committee decided on a qualified yes as to whether the Meeting owns the property and can sell it. Report accepted with gratitude.

 

Various comments were made regarding the Future Planning Committee and Watching Committee reports but it was noted that a committee report is different than a committee request for action. Taking issue with reports is unproductive and does not use our time well. People with concerns should go directly to the committee instead of bringing them up at Business Meeting.

 

Ministry and Counsel Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of M&C meeting report

Action Item (2): Approval of Query for Seventh Month of 2013: Are we prepared to let go of our individual desires and let the Holy Spirit lead us to unity?” (IMYM Faith & Practice, p121, #6, first question)

Action Item (3): Discernment and decision about experiment with Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns ministry

Suggestions were made at the M&C Committee meeting of July to prevent overcrowding at the 11 am meeting. These included more people going to the 9 am meeting, having a third meeting on First Days, and shortening meeting times to 45 minutes. Ministry and Counsel united around the idea that more people be invited to attend the 9 am meeting or other meetings or worship groups.

 

There are still concerns about vocal ministry at the 11 am meeting. South-Santa Fe members have been encouraged to attend the 9 am meeting on Canyon Rd. because their new building is being refurbished. There appears to be a need for listening and support from SF Monthly Meeting at the Las Vegas Group and a few members from Las Vegas have requested the assistance of Ministry and Counsel. Attempts to form a meeting of worship in Espanola have failed. The August query is listed above. Meeting closers for August are Karen Kuranz, Carolyn Sigstedt, and Jan-Willem Jansens. Ways to help young friends were considered and the nurturing and care of elder members was discussed. M&C considered the need to continue Quaker education workshops, including Quaker Quest, an Indigenous Peoples workshop, a discussion of the Kabarak Call to Peace, and Ecojustice. There are two vacancies on the committee and two names will be submitted to the Naming committee. Regarding Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns, First Day School cannot be let out later than 12 pm because of staffing issues. M&C came to unity in proposing to maintain a 11:50 time for Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns, and discuss at Business Meeting whether an experiment with for example not having any designated time slot for Joys, Sorrows and Concerns should be continued. Report accepted.

 

Controversy remains regarding Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns. The question remains as to whether to have Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns at 10 minutes till 12 pm or not to have them at all. It was suggested that Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns needs to be more worshipful, that people need to be told that Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns are not for announcements, and that when people give announcements during Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns they should be educated by Ministry and Counsel afterwards. The issue was referred back to Ministry and Counsel for further discernment regarding what actions to take.

 

Peace & Social Concerns Committee

Action Item (1): Acceptance of Peace & Social Concerns Committee Report

The Committee reviewed the environmental focus of IMYM and the Kabarak Call for Peace and Ecojustice and Business Meeting interest of it. Santa Fe Public Schools offers opportunities for volunteering in a community-wide program offered at Temple Beth Shalom. It is being developed for three Santa Fe schools. It was proposed that the Weekly Digest have a link for the volunteer form as well as an announcement for city-wide program happening on July31st.

 

The S. 761 bipartisan legislation Energy Savings and Industrial Competitiveness Act of 2013 was presented and individual support was requested. Also, New Mexico Faith Communities Support for Marriage for Same Sex Couples is being circulated to faith communities. Peace and Social Concerns would like Meeting to consider signing it. It is a project of the ACLU NM and this is a public statement that will go on the ALCU website. The following Minute was approved by Business Meeting: Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends approves endorsing the New Mexico Faith Communities Announce Support for Marriage for Same Sex Couples statement and the clerk will sign the endorsement on behalf of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. Report accepted.

 

Resident’s Report. Action Item (1): Acceptance of Resident’s Report. The resident reported that he worked about 30 hours a week during June and that besides his usual duties there was a lot of garden work including weeding, pruning, and planting. He also removed the salt cedars with a borrowed chain saw that required extensive servicing. A leak was repaired in the irrigation and the casita shower drain was cleared. Guest apartment occupancy was 21 nights out of a possible 30. Income was $1080 (deposits and/or payments). Report accepted.

 

Clerk’s Report. Action Item (1): Acceptance of Clerk’s Report. Clerk participated in the July meeting of Ministry and Counsel. He also assisted in discernment and communicated about various concerns with Ministry and Council. Report accepted.

 

Announcements. Western Friend has a new editor. There is a pamphlet in the portal about the annual report. IMYM contributes $6,000 per year to Western Friend. Western Friend needs a champion in this meeting. This request will be placed in the Weekly Digest. Alan Rogers is available to answer questions about the garden report. No questions were asked.

 

The meeting ended at approximately 3:20 pm with silence.

Document Actions