Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2013 Newsletters / September 2013 Newsletter

September 2013 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Ninth month 2013

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

 

Sunday, 9/1 12:30 Potluck @ Rise of Meeting, 1:30 Ministry and Counsel Committee

Sunday, 9/8 10:10 2nd Sunday Friends Journal Worship Sharing

12:30 Adult Education Discussion

2:00 Threshing Session on SSFWG Request

Sunday, 9/15 10:10 Peace & Social Concerns &/or A Capella singing,

12:30 Meeting for Worship for Business

Sunday, 9/22 12:30 Regular Meetings for Worship

Sunday, 9/29 10:10 Meeting for Muffins,

12:30 Regular Meetings for Worship

 

The Monthly Query for the 9th month, 2013

“How are our meetings for worship held in expectant waiting for divine guidance and openness to the Inner Light?”  (based on IMYM Faith & Practice, p119, #8, first question)

 

Announcements

 

Sept. 1 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 a.m. meeting.

 

Sept. 1 – Ministry & Counsel will meet after the potluck, usually around 1:30 p.m.

 

Sept. 1 - Birthday celebration for Rebecca Henderson’s 70th @ 3:00, Canyon Rd. meetinghouse.

 

Sept. 4 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

 

Sept 8 –  Sept. 8th - 2ND Sunday Friends Journal Worship Sharing article is “The Use of Silence” by Calvin Keene from the July, 1981 Friends Journal – So, what is your worship experiences and practice? Beginning this Sunday, copies of this article will be available in the folder next to the bird house in the library. Everyone is invited to attend!  We will begin at 10:10 am and close at 10:50 am.  Friends are encouraged to suggest articles, letters or poems from Friends Journal to consider in future Worship Sharing’s.  For questions please contact Howard Shulman @ 984-9908.

Sept. 8 – Adult Education Discussion, 12:30 pm

 

Sept. 8 – Threshing Session, 2:00 pm Last week the South Santa Fe Worship Group requested a grant or loan of $8,000 to make modifications required by the City in their new Meetinghouse.

 

 

 

In order to assist the business meeting in responding to the Worship Group's request, the Finance Committee will conduct a threshing session on the request at 2 pm, September 8th, after the Adult Education discussion. A copy of the Worship Group request will be sent to the meeting's email list and posted on the meeting's website at www.sf.imym.org/wgrequest

 

 

The threshing session is to give Friends an opportunity to present their individual leadings in response to the request from South Santa Fe Worship Group. Threshing sessions serve to clarify how the Meeting views a query or question placed before Friends. It is a chance for Spirit to lead individual Friends and for the Meeting to hear each other's leadings or perspectives on a specific concern. A threshing session does not determine outcomes for the Meeting, rather it is a chance for us to hear one another and hold each Friend's perspective in the light so that we may be led to a common understanding at a later time. It is a time of intentional listening for the Spirit's guidance within each individual who is so led to speak and share her/his leading with response to this request. We will meet for one hour, then close with worship.

 

Sept. 15 – 10:00 am, 3rd Sunday Singing -- A Capella singing as preparation for worship. This is meant to be singing for anyone that has a desire to sing ("if you can talk you can sing"). We do improvised vocalization (making sounds and listening), chanting, or singing hymns from our hymn book "Worship in Song". If you have a favorite reading we can try chanting it.  For questions or suggestions, please contact Guthrie Miller at 954-4224 or guthriemiller@gmail.com.

 

Sept. 15 - Peace and Social Concerns meets the third First day of every month between worship services from 10:05 to 10:55 am, Pam Gilchrist chairs these efforts and will publish topic in the weekly digest.

Sept. 22 - Business meeting for Worship will meet at the rise of the meeting and is moved from the regular date of 3rd Sunday to accommodate the IMYM gathering.

Sept. 29 – Meeting for Muffins: the attenders/members from the 9:00 meeting share fellowship with attenders/members from the 11:00 meeting at the rise of the 9:00 meeting around 10:10 am.

 

An Announcement about Joys, Sorrows & Concerns:

 

The Ministry & Counsel Committee (M & C) has been experimenting with ways to find unity in how we express our vocal ministry, especially as it relates to “joys, sorrows and concerns.” The joys, sorrows and concerns segment of the meeting was introduced several years ago by Ministry & Oversight (now M & C) when very little vocal ministry was being shared. Recently some Friends have expressed concern that some of the joys, sorrows and concerns sharing sometimes become sharing of stories or announcements instead of Spirit led personal insights and feelings. During the past year M & C received expressions of concern about joys, sorrows and concerns as well as vocal ministry in general. M & C has attempted to offer opportunities for Friends to reflect on and share with each

other, thoughts and feelings about desirable vocal ministry for our meeting. These opportunities have included monthly queries, announcements, worship sharings, and experimenting with joys, sorrows and concerns.Continuing the experiment in September and October, we will no longer announce a

time for sharing joys, sorrows and concerns toward the end of our meetings for worship. However, Friends are welcome, at any time when our meetings for worship are settled down, to share vocal ministry as the Spirit moves them, including any joys, sorrows or concerns that are a reflection of the inner Light. Also, Joys, sorrows and concerns can be shared at the time of announcements, if Friends do not feel moved by the Spirit during meeting but wish to share anyway. In November M & C will evaluate the experiment, with feedback from Friends, and report their sense of the meeting to Business Meeting in November. Friends are encouraged to share their feelings about the process any time during and after September and October. M & C hopes this process of discernment will help our community reach unity in vocal ministry and grow a loving tolerance among each other as we consider the diverse ways in which the Spirit speaks through all of us.

 

 

Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

Eighth Month, 2013 (Aug 18, 2013)

 

Present: Jan-Willem Jansens (Clerk), Peggy Giltrow (Recording Clerk), Bob Gaines, David Henkel, Philip Balcombe, Dave Giltrow, Roxanne Seagraves, John Kretzmann, David Murphy, Guthrie Miller, Pamela Geyer, Allen Winchester, Rebecca Henderson, Pam Gilchrist, Alan Rogers

 

The Clerk opened the Meeting with a period of silence at 12:50. He introduced the Meeting Query: How do we live in accord with our sense of God in all creation? (IMYM F&P p 141, 4).

 

The Clerk welcomed David Murphy, our new Resident. David assumed responsibilities at the beginning of last week, as former Resident Dave Wunker left earlier than expected upon his acceptance to immediately start a course in Wind Technology in Tucumcari.

 

David Murphy was asked to give Meeting a short introduction. Baptized a Lutheran, he became a Methodist in 7th grade. At 10, during the Vietnam War, he asked his mother, “How old do you have to be to be a soldier?” and realized that he had until age18 to find a solution. Hearing about Quaker beliefs, he attended Whittier College as a freshman and began attending the Friends church there. At a mid-year talk at his Methodist church about his first year of college, he enthusiastically talked about the Quakers. This led that minister to suggest that perhaps it was time for David to move on, and he became a convinced Friend (though he still thinks of himself as a seeker). After transferring to Wilmington College, he did his student teaching at Scattergood School before earning a BA. David later taught in PA and attended several different meetings in the Philadelphia area before moving to Stockholm, Sweden where he officially became a member of the Religious Society of Friends. In Stockholm David taught ESL and served as an interim Meeting caretaker. Returning to the US on his mother’s illness, David trained as a Montessori Elementary teacher and has been looking for a place as Friends caretaker.

 

The Clerk welcomed Peggy Giltrow as new recording clerk.

 

Minutes for Seventh Month 2013 Business Meeting

Several requests for approval were received. The Minutes were approved pending amendments. The amendments are attached at the end of these minutes. Please read and be ready to approve at the September Business Meeting.

 

Request for Travelling Minute for Rebecca Henderson. Rebecca Henderson has been asked by Arizona Half-Yearly Meeting to be their plenary speaker, meet with Young Friends, and do workshops on worship at their meeting in October. Friends General Council and Arizona Half-Yearly will cover expenses. Rebecca is asking for an anchor committee from Ministry and Council and for approval to work with Jan-Willem to develop a travelling minute. Meeting approved.

 

Building Committee Report

The Building Committee will meet tomorrow evening (August 20) to discuss plans which Dave Wunker did not have time to accomplish before he left for Arizona, and other projects. Meeting accepted the report.

 

Garden Committee Report -- Please see Appendix A at end of these minutes for written report and a separate attachment with the spreadsheet showing 14 years of water usage.

 

After Alan Rogers read the report, Meeting discussed several concerns. Many people love the garden. Few people actually work in it.

 

  1. Out of control weeds. Meeting confirmed past approval of Garden Committee budget for hiring labor to get rid of the weeds. David Murphy will contact the Smallz brothers and coordinate the weeding. The Finance Committee will work with the Garden Committee on next year’s garden budget.

  2. Water usage. The amount of water used during June and July is an expensive and environmentally costly puzzle which needs to be solved. The spreadsheet helps with understanding usage over years, but does not explain the differences. A leak is suspected. Meeting approved action on three fronts: a) Alan Rogers will contact the company which installed the drip system and ask them to look for a leak; b) Bob Gaines will contact the city to ask instructions for investigating a leak on the house side of the meter; c) David Giltrow will contact plumber JJ Gonzales and ask him to check for leaks not in the irrigation system and what the cost of installing a meter to monitor the drip system would be.

  3. Scope and responsibilities of Garden Committee. This committee, as many others in Meeting, suffers from a shortage of personnel. There are not enough people to accomplish the necessary short-term summer time tasks or enough people or time to plan for the garden’s care in the future. Care for a garden which can be a semi-public show place requires large amounts of either time or money. Suggestions ranged from encouraging people to adopt particular parts of the garden and tackle them when possible (rather than just on Saturday mornings) to separation of garden planning from garden labor, to involving other organizations in routine garden care to hiring an organization to take on all aspects of the garden.



Meeting agreed to involve as many people as possible to develop a garden plan before spring, while the garden requires less work in the fall and winter months. We were reminded that it is possible to try various solutions, adopting what works and letting go what doesn’t.



The Garden Committee report was accepted, with appreciation for Alan’s thorough investigation of the water usage problem and his dedicated commitment to the garden and its needs.

 

Finance Committee—Roxanne Seagraves reported that Bob Gaines has agreed to become part of this committee, working with her and new Treasurer Greg Cliburn to ensure that Meeting funds are carefully collected and properly dispersed. The committee is working with David Murphy to ensure a smooth flow of cash, donations, and requests for payments. Greg will do the required audit for the 2012 financial year. Meeting accepted the report with thanks.

 

Ministry and Counsel Committee—Please see full written report as Appendix B following Minutes.

Action items:

 

Meeting accepted the Ministry and Counsel report.

 

The suggested Query for 9th Month of 2013 reads: “Are our meetings for worship held in expectant waiting for divine guidance and openness to the Inner Light?” (IMYM Faith & Practice, p119, #8, first question) Meeting approved the query as amended, changing it to an open-ended question: “How are our meetings for worship held in expectant waiting for divine guidance and openness to the Inner Light?” Members were pleased that the query reflected recent discussion of various types of vocal ministry.

 

Ministry and Counsel recommended and Meeting approved the request for membership of Lowber Welsh, based on his letter of request and the recommendation of his M&C-appointed clearness committee. Meeting welcomes Lowber, and appreciates his long history of involvement with the Society of Friends.

 

The ongoing experiment regarding Vocal Ministry continues, as M&C suggests we try another permutation of when/how to encourage the sharing of Joys, Sorrows and Concerns during 11 a.m. Meeting for Worship. There was discussion of how best to inform people of the experiment and its permutations and encourage them to engage in evaluation of the experiment early in the New Year. Meeting approved M&C’s suggestion that in September and October each individual be encouraged to make a personal decision about whether their joy, sorrow or concern is spirit-led and to be shared during worship. If it is not, it can be shared during announcements. In addition to explaining the experiment during announcements at rise of Meeting, M&C will formulate a one sentence printed explanation to be placed on each chair during 11 a.m. Meeting during September and October.

 

Discernment and call to service for closing and locking of Meeting House on First Day after rise of 11 a.m. Meeting for Worship. Discussion included a reminder that at the 6th Month Business Meeting the Residence Committee was requested to consider asking the new Resident to again be responsible for closing and locking the building on Sunday. While planning on how to meet this need continues, Bob Gaines volunteered to be responsible for closing the building during the interim when Pam Geyer cannot do it (see dates she has volunteered for in M&C report). Based on her experience of closing the building, Pam suggests that whenever a group schedules use of the building after rise of Meeting on Sunday (and therefore becomes responsible for closing and locking), that group retains responsibility for locking that Sunday even if their meeting is cancelled. She also volunteered to teach people how to close and lock the building responsibly, rather than trying to do it on an ad hoc basis.

 

Comment on M&C’s educational proposals. David Henkel reminded Meeting that he will convene the first meeting of the Education Committee in September, and is eager to discuss education ideas with M&C soon.

 

Treasurers Report – Please see Appendix C for full report

 

In absence of the Treasurer, the clerk read the Treasurer’s report. Bob Gaines clarified that the Treasurer’s intent is to have a full report, including accurate giving trends and fund balances, by the October Business Meeting at the latest. Meeting accepted the report with thanks.

 

Peace & Social Concerns Committee Report—Please see Appendix D for full report

 

The committee met this morning, so Pam Gilchrist read her notes and will send a full report to be appended to the Newsletter.

 

Pam discussed the need for letters on Senate Bills S. 761 & S. 332. The committee asks that letters be posted on the Senators’ web sites and a copy given to Pam Gilchrist to hand deliver to the local offices. Business meeting suggested that we make this appeal to our members through the Digest and at the time for announcements.

 

Meeting applauded the ideas raised in conjunction with the Communities in Schools program. Allen Winchester extended an invitation to the September Ministry and Council Meeting to discuss the suggestion that members and attenders (especially youth) who are led to volunteer in the community speak about their work as it relates to Quaker Testimonies.

 

Meeting was encouraged to attend the film “A Place at the Table” at the UU church, 6 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 4.

 

The Peace & Social Concerns Committee Report was accepted with gratitude.

 

Resident’s Report

Since he just started the week before, David Murphy had no written report. He is a de facto member of several committees and hopes to get involved in those soon. He will give report for August at the business meeting next month. Meeting accepted his report.

 

Clerk’s Report

 

The Clerk reported that he engaged in regular activities: clerking, meeting with M&C as a de facto member, meeting with M&C to prepare Vocal Ministry Worship Sharing for Aug. 25, preparing for today’s business meeting.

 

Roena Oesting of San Diego will visit here Santa Fe at the end of September. She wants to give a free one-woman show on the life of Elizabeth Fry, and would like to have an audience of 50. Questions arose about a venue for that large a group, as well as Ms Oesting’s suggestion that other Faith Groups be involved. Bob Gaines offered to summarize her offer in the Digest and ask if someone is interested in facilitating it.

 

Meeting accepted the Clerk’s report

 

Announcements

 

The film “A PLACE AT THE TABLE” will be shown at the Unitarian Universalist congregation at 6pm on Wed., Sept. 4, 2013. Fifty million people in the U.S.A—including one in five children—don’t know where their next meal is coming from. A PLACE AT THE TABLE suggests the deeper implications of hunger and ways we can solve this problem, together, once and for all. A discussion will follow the film

 

Save the date: New Mexico Regional Meeting, Nov. 15, 16, 17 in Albuquerque. Albuquerque Monthly Meeting will provide hospitality. Program: “What makes our spirits come alive”. More details to follow.

 

Meeting closed with a period of silence at 3:05.

 

Respectfully Submitted, Peggy Giltrow, Recording Clerk.

 

 

Proposed Amendments to Minutes of Business Meeting for 7th Month

 

  1. The Meeting was clerked by Jan-Willem Jansens. Bob Gaines is correctly listed as attending the meeting.

  2. Section on Future Planning Committee:

It now reads: “The charge to the Future Planning Committee is to resolve physical inadequacies of current facilities. The Future Planning Committee found that there are places in Santa Fe available for renting or leasing that could open up the possibility of selling or renting the 630 Canyon Road property. There are also properties to buy or possibly trade.”

 

Proposed revision: The charge to the Future Planning Committee is to resolve concerns about the inadequacies of current facilities. The Future Planning Committee found that there are places in Santa Fe available for renting or leasing that might facilitate a transition compatible with sale or lease of the 630 Canyon Road property. There are also properties to buy or trade.

  1. Section on Watching Committee Report.

 

It now reads: “The Committee reviewed the agreement between the Meeting and Olive Rush and concluded that the language of the will is broader and more flexible.

 

Proposed revision: The Committee reviewed the agreement between the Meeting and Olive Rush and concluded that the language of the will is broader and more flexible than that of the agreement.

  1. Section on Ministry and Counsel Committee

It now reads: “Attempts to form a meeting of worship in Espanola have failed.”

 

Proposed revision: Attempts to form a worship group in Espanola have failed.

 

It now reads: …”two names will be submitted to the Naming committee”

 

Proposed revision: Nominating committee

  1. Section on Joys , Sorrows and Concerns

 

It now reads: “The question remains as to whether to have Joys, Sorrows, and Concerns at 10 minutes til 12 pm or not to have them at all.

 

Proposed revision: The question remains as to whether to have Joys, Sorrows and Concerns at 10 minutes til 12 pm or not to have it at all.

 

APPENDICES

 

Appendix A –Garden Committee report for 8th month, 2013

 

Garden Committee Report, 8th Month, 2013

 

Since last Business Meeting, Dave Wunker moved on short notice to Tucumcari to take advantage of a training opportunity. David Murphy has moved in as the Meeting resident. We thank Dave Wunker for the hard work he has contributed to the garden and the projects he accomplished while he was here. We welcome David Murphy who has already shared some ideas about the Garden.

Dave Wunker’s sudden departure caught me by surprise, learning of it several days after he had moved. We had been in the midst of trying to deal with and understand a second unexpectedly large water bill. We reprogrammed and turned off the drip during the monsoons of late July through early August. Unfortunately, it didn’t get turned back on until after Dave left. A number of things suffered water stress. The water bill for the period ending mid-July was for 21,200 gallons (after 21,300 gallons through mid-June), an unfathomable amount as the drip is incapable of delivering that amount of water. The drip runs 3 hours (an hour to each of 3 zones) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (there were 4 zones last year) and doesn’t have many more emitters. Dave and Ariel checked for leaks when usage seemed high earlier in the season and they found and repaired a few. Dave checked again in August and found nothing new. He rerouted the main line from under the swing set. He contacted the city to come check the meter, but that hadn’t happened before his departure. This issue remains unresolved. Until we understand it better, it has been dealt with by decreasing water usage.

Weeds are completely out of control. Alan and Tammi spent time planting and not extensively weeding. We got burned out with the amount of time we were putting in and simply had to pull back. Dave was recovering from surgery and couldn’t do the work he had previously been doing. It rained. Weeds grew and grew. I asked Dave to bring in the Smallz brothers, but that didn’t happen, not sure why not. I suspect he felt he would be able to do it himself and then ran out of time before moving. David Murphy has been asked to contact the Smallz brothers and coordinate weeding.

Alan obtained water usage data since 2001 and has entered it on a Spreadsheet. We now have data for 14 years. It is attached to this report [http://sf.imym.org/committees/garden/wateruse]. Water usage has fluctuated quite a lot over the years. I am still looking for earlier data that might be with the treasurer or in the archives if anyone knows where that is.

David Murphy is interested in birds and has put up several feeders with immediate results. We have not put up the welcome sign nor have we received the box for donations. David Murphy reports fairly frequent Garden visitors.

I am not aware of any monies being expended since last Business Meeting. We will need to hire workers for weeding at this point.

Necessary levels of participation in the Garden as far as time and energy are not being met. Three people have done the lion’s share of the work. Meeting needs to come to terms with the reality that there is no Garden Committee. I agreed to convene the Garden Committee, but that has meant convening myself and the Meeting Resident. I have tried a number of approaches to outreach and have attracted an occasional helper to the Garden. Much appreciated help, I might add, but nothing sustainable and far, far less than what is needed. We need to acknowledge that not enough Friends are called to tend the Meeting’s grounds and gardens. We need to budget for and contract out the Garden Maintenance.

I have considered laying down my role as convener of the Garden Committee at the end of the year. I would like to continue to be involved on a lesser scale. I would suggest that Meeting rethink the function of the Garden Committee. It currently serves as a labor pool. Perhaps it might live on as a Committee dedicated more to planning and having others do the bulk of the work.

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

1. Business Meeting needs to budget for and contract with an outside organization for our Garden Maintenance needs. We can probably get by this year with day laborers, but should be thinking of a professional organization for next year. Perhaps we can do it with day laborers next year as well, but someone will need to take on the coordination responsibility. David Murphy would like to investigate partnering with other organizations. I think all tracks should be pursued.

2. Business Meeting needs to investigate water usage. This might require hiring a consultant now. In the future this would fall to the outside organization that manages the grounds.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Rogers

 

Please see the separate attachment with the spreadsheet document on Water Usage at 630 Canyon Road from 1994 to present (showing available data).

 

Appendix B, Ministry and Council Report for 8th Month, 2013

 

Ministry & Counsel Report for S. F. Monthly Business Meeting (August 18)

M & C met on Aug 4 at 1:35 p.m and began with silent worship. Present: Allen Winchester (co-clerk), Margy Willen (recording clerk) and Jan-Willem Jansens. Karen Kuranz and Carolyn Sigstedt were unable to attend.

Spiritual Observations of the 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Canyon Road Meetings: The 9 a.m meeting reported that 17 people attended Aug 4 including visitors from out of town and 4 persons from South Santa Fe Meeting. Attendance at the 11 a.m. has fluctuated somewhat during the past month and some expressed concern about joys/sorrows/concerns segment.

Spiritual Observations of other worship groups: South Santa Feʼs lease on Camino Carlos Rey, expired July 31. Some attended the 9 a.m. Canyon Road Meeting on Aug 4, but the group moved to a Friendʼs home for the Aug 11 meeting and will continue meeting there until their new meeting house on Calle Ensenada is ready. David Henkel, M & Cʼs liaison to the Las Vegas Worship Group recently attended there and discussed

vocal ministry concerns with them. He plans to return to the Las Vegas Worship Group in late August. M & C is planning a visit in October. No news was received on Taos Clear Light or Tres Piedras Worship Groups.

September Query: “Are our meetings for worship held in expectant waiting for divine guidance and openness to the Inner Light.” (Faith & Practice, p. 119, #8, first sentence.

August 25 Worship Sharing on Vocal Ministry: 12:45-2:15 p.m. Three queries were recommended with 30 minutes for each query. Friends from Canyon Road and all Worship Groups are invited to participate.

1. How can we support those who give vocal ministry?

2. How can we best discern what is spirit-led vocal ministry?

3. How do we best handle concerns about an individualʼs vocal ministry?

Joys/ Sorrows and Concerns:

We recommend for the 11 a.m. Meeting in September and October that a call for joys/sorrows/concerns will no longer follow the name-sharing (and precede announcements) at close of worship. Instead, each individual will make a personal decision about whether there joy, sorrow or concern is spirit-led and, if it is, the individual will share during worship. If it is not, it can be shared during announcements.

Greeters & Closers:

Rebecca Allahyari met with M & C to discuss Greeters for 11 a.m. worship. She is no longer able to schedule and be back up for greeters, although she willing to serve from time to time. She told us it is difficult finding enough greeters. As a result, M & C recommends combining the task of Greeter and Closer. Karen Kuranz will be Greeter & Closer Aug 11 & 18 and Jan-Willem will be both on Aug 25 & Sep 1.

Proposal for Nurturing & Care Committee:

M & C receives many requests for nurturing and care, which stretches the committee beyond its ability. As a result we are leaning toward recommending a separate committee (or sub-committee of M & C) be named to assist in these important needs. We will discuss this proposal further at our next M & C meeting on Sep 1.

Educational Proposals:

We are discussing several Workshop proposals including:

1. Indigenous Peoples Workshop

2. Quaker Quest

3. Kabarak Call for Peace & Eco-Justice

4. Workshop on Steve Chaseʼs book “Letters to a Fellow Seeker”

Closing the Meeting House:

M & C received notice from Pam Geyer on Aug 11, that she is no longer willing to ask people to close the Meeting House in coming months. She requested to be relieved as convener of this important task in April, but has continued until now. (Thank you Pam) She will take the responsibility through the end of September. Cannot do it on 10/6 or 10/13 but will on Oct 20 & 27 and the first and third Sundays in November and December. She hopes a new system will be functioning by the first of next year if not sooner.

M & C Membership:

We have heard from one person who is considering submitting his name to the Nominations Committee, but need a second person to join us as well.

Recommended Actions by M &C:

Action Item (1): Acceptance of M&C meeting report

Action Item (2): Approval of Query for Seventh Month of 2013: “Are our meetings for worship held in expectant waiting for divine guidance and openness to the Inner

Light?” (IMYM Faith & Practice, p119, #8, first question)

Action Item (3): Approval of membership of Lowber Welsh following recommendation of Clearness Committee.

Action Item (4): Approval of proposal for ongoing experiment regarding Vocal Ministry: dispense with Joys, Sorrows and Concerns in September and October of 2013

Action Item (5): Discernment and call to service for closing of Meeting House

(Report prepared by Allen Winchester)

 

Appendix C, Treasurer’s Report

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends

Treasurer’s Report to Business Meeting, August 18, 2013

Prepared August 15, 2013

 

The Treasurer is currently working to enter all income, expenses, and transactions since January 1 into our books. When this project is complete, it will be possible to report accurate fund balances and trends in giving compared to the budget. Such a report will be ready after the third quarter for the October business meeting, but may be ready in time for the September business meeting.

Meanwhile, it can be reported that all our bills are paid, and our bank balances as of August 15 are as follows. It is important to note that our bank accounts do not directly reflect our funds. This is true even for the money market accounts labeled General Fund and Maintenance Fund. Some money from these funds is held in the check account, the credit union shares account, and CDs. Again, when our books are brought up to date, fund balances will be clear.

Shares: $103

Checking: $2,446

General Fund money market: $2,659

Maintenance Fund money market: $21,290

CDs: $68,677

Our total across all accounts is $97,180.

 

Prepared by Greg Cliburn, Treasurer

 

Appendix D, Peace and Social Concerns Report

 

Report of August 18, 2013 Peace and Social Concerns meeting to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting Worship

with Attention to Business. Timothy Downing and Pam Gilchrist attended and Rebecca Allahyari dropped in

 

1. We opened with a reading of the Kabarak Call for Peace and Ecojustice, followed by a time of silence.

 

http://2012.org/kabarak-call-peace-and-ecojustice

 

We agreed to promote letter writing to our Senators on the following bills: S. 761 & S. 332

 

www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s761/text

&

www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s332

 

We ask that letters be posted on the Senators’ web sites and a copy given to Pam Gilchrist to hand deliver to the local offices.

 

2. The Communities In Schools tutorial program is underway in Santa Fe. A second, very well attended, informational forum was held at Temple Beth Shalom on July 31. Volunteer forms are available at Meeting. See:

 

http://www.cisnewmexico.org/?page_id=2

 

Rebecca A suggested that members and attenders (especially youth) who are led to volunteer in the community, speak about their work as it relates to Quaker Testimonies.

 

3. The film “A Place at the Table” will be shown at the UU congregation at 6pm on Wed., Sept. 4, 2013.

Fifty million people in the U.S.—including one in five children—don’t know where their next meal is coming from. A PLACE AT THE TABLE suggests the deeper implications of hunger, suggesting how we can solve

this problem, together, once and for all. A discussion will follow the film.

Document Actions