Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2012 Newsletters / November 2012 Letter to Friends

November 2012 Letter to Friends

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Eleventh month 2012

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

 

Sunday,11/4 9:15 Ministry and Oversight Committee; 12:30 p.m. Potluck

Sunday,11/11 10 10 2nd Sunday Friends Worship Sharing

Sunday,11/18 12.30 Meeting for Worship for Business

Sunday,11/25 12:30 Adult Education Committee Discussion

 

The Monthly Query for the 11th month, 2012

The meeting will continue the Query from the 10th month with the following

"Do we trust sufficiently the goodwill of our meeting members and attenders to make our needs and concerns known?"  This is from the first of the queries under the topic "Mutual Care" in IMYM Faith and Practice (p. 124).

Announcements

 

Nov. 3 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 am meeting.

 

Nov 7 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

 

Nov. 11 - Peace and Social Concerns will meet following worship at 12:30pm for no more than 1 1/2 hours - all welcome.

 

Nov. 11 – Second Sunday FJ Worship Sharing will consider the article Four Pillars of Meeting for Business by Debbie Humphries (FJ September 1, 2009.)  We will consider the first two "pillars" at our sharing in November, and the second two in December.  Copies of this article will be available beside the birdhouse beginning Sunday 10/28.  There will also be excerpts from Faith and Practice relevant to business meeting, to help enrich our consideration.  We will begin promptly at 10:10 and conclude at 10:50.  All interested friends are invited to attend.  Friends are also encouraged to suggest FJ articles for future consideration.  Please call Pamela Geyer (984 - 0377) or Howard Shulman (984 - 9908) with any questions.

 

November 11 Second Sunday FJ Worship Sharing will consider the article Four Pillars of Meeting for Business by Debbie Humphries (FJ September 1, 2009.)  We will consider the first two "pillars" at our sharing in November, and the second two in December.  Copies of this article will be available beside the birdhouse beginning Sunday 10/28.  There will also be excerpts from Faith and Practice relevant to business meeting, to help enrich our consideration.  We will begin promptly at 10:10 and conclude at 10:50.  All interested friends are invited to attend.  Friends are also encouraged to suggest FJ articles for future consideration.  Please call Pamela Geyer (984 - 0377) or Howard Shulman (984 - 9908) with any questions.

Nov. 9 to 11th- New Mexico Regional Meeting Workshop on Clerking and Quaker Process, With Elizabeth Boardman, November 9-10, 2012 @ the Albuquerque Monthly Meeting

Elizabeth Boardman is the author of Where Should I Stand? : A Field Guide for Monthly Meeting Clerks (Quaker Press,2008). She is a longtime member of San Francisco Friends Meeting, where she served as monthly meeting clerk from 2002-2006. She is also the author of Taking a Stand: A Guide to Peace Teams and Accompaniment Projects (New Society Publishers, 2005), inspired by her trip to Iraq with Voices in the Wilderness peace team in 2002. She more recently wrote:  Letters from Lillian: Faith and Practice among modern liberal Quakers.  For 30 years a developer and manager of health care services for frail elders, Elizabeth is now a full-time writer and war tax resister with numerous offspring.

WHAT'S HAPPENING?

Friday: 6:30-8:30 pm Simple supper and intro to Quaker terms and expressions; a family affair

Saturday: 9-12 Our Quaker lives and practice, committees, hierarchies and the lack thereof

1-5 pm Clerkship and the meeting community

6-8 pm Supper and workshop leftovers

Sunday: Join Albuquerque Monthly Meeting for Meeting for worship at 10:30 a.m.

Late registrants should contact Mariam Bennett, 4711 McKnight Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110 or miriambennett@ymail.com. Call with questions: Miriam: 505/344-4158

 

Nov. 18 - Business meeting for Worship will meet at the rise of the meeting.

 

Nov. 28 – The Adult Education Committee will sponsor a discussion & the topic will be announced in the Weekly Digest.

 

Minutes of Meeting for Worship for Business

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM, Tenth Month, 21th day, 2012.

 

Present: Jan-Willem Jansens (Clerk), Dave Wunker (Recording Clerk), Philip Balcombe, Bob Gaines, Pamela Geyer, Pam Gilchrist, Rebecca Henderson, John Kretzmann, Ted Pomeroy, Roxanne Seagraves, Simon Dedeo, John Kretzmann, Wyn Lewis, Bettina Raphael, Dave Giltrow, Jennifer Wellington, Alan Rogers, Pamela Geyer, Allen Winchester

 

The meeting for worship for business began at 12:45 pm with silence.

 

1. Approval of Minutes. Minutes for 9th month approved without changes.

 

2. Rebecca Henderson’s Travel Endorsement and Report. Rebecca Henderson attended the Arizona Half Yearly Meeting, held September 21-23, in Prescott, AZ. A letter from Margaret Brittingham from AZ half-yearly meeting was read in support. The note of endorsement was accepted with gratitude. The report of Rebecca Henderson regarding her travel was read including the highlights of Kathleen Wooten’s plenary speech. Copies of the report and letter of endorsement are included in the Appendix below.

 

3. IMYM Queries.

 

a. Assessment Queries. Assessment increases were considered for IMYM and Mountain Friend’s Camp. An increase from $35 to $40 per person has been requested by IMYM. This request was first made 5 years ago and is needed because IMYM reserves are very low. The second increase request is to provide ongoing funding for Mountain Friends Camp (MFC). The IMYM increase request for 2013 is $5 plus a $10 voluntary assessment for MFC. The $10 assessment increase is voluntary to allow time for the change in the annual assessment to season. The $10 increase for MFC would become mandatory in 2014. The total increase for our Meeting would be around $1500 for the next year. The relevant queries are as follows:

 

        1. Are Friends willing to reinstate a $5.00 per member increase in the annual assessment beginning in 2013, raising the annual assessment per member from $35 to $40?

 

        1. Is our Monthly Meeting willing to make a voluntary $10 per member contribution to IMYM for Mountain Friends Camp in addition to our regular assessment?

 

        1. Are Friends in our Monthly Meeting willing to meet our commitment to Mountain Friends Camp through a $10.00 increase in assessment in 2014 & 2015?

 

Rather than make a decision now it was decided to have a discussion of these queries at rise of the next First Firstday Meeting (November 4). The queries will also be published in the Weekly Digest and email responses will be requested. Discussion will occur at the next potluck Sunday and then will be brought to the November 18th Business Meeting. IMYM is committed to doing a review of the increase after implementation.

 

b. Proposed Minute and Query on Torture. The following proposed minute was read.

Proposed Minute: IMYM wishes to become an endorsing member of the National Religious Campaign against Torture (NRCAT). We endorse the following "Statement of Conscience," agreeing that torture is a moral issue.

 

Torture violates the basic dignity of the human person that all religions, in their highest ideals, hold dear.  It degrades everyone involved--policy-makers, perpetrators and victims.  It contradicts our nation's most cherished ideals.  Any policies that permit torture and inhumane treatment are shocking and morally intolerable.  Nothing less is at stake in the torture abuse crisis than the soul of our nation.  What does it signify if torture is condemned in word, but allowed in deed?  Let America abolish torture now--without exceptions.

 

Query: How does your Meeting respond regarding IMYM becoming an endorsing member of the National Religious Campaign against Torture?

 

Our Meeting is already an NCAT endorsing member and makes an annual voluntary contribution. If our Meeting approves the minute, it would support IMYM in becoming an endorsing member of NRCAT.

 

c. Proposed Minute and Query on Occupy. Monthly meetings were also asked to recommend to IMYM whether or not IMYM should adopt a minute in favor of Occupy such as that adopted by the Pima Monthly Meeting. Our Meeting has already approved the PMM minute. The PMM minute below was read.

 

We, Pima Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), embrace the spirit of the worldwide Occupy Movement which, through non-violent protest and deep concern, is bringing attention to grave injustices.  As Quakers, we affirm that of God in every person, and through 365 years have upheld testimonies of integrity, equality, simplicity, peace, community, and active witness.

 

The Occupy Movement illuminates issues of inequality that Quakers have carried for centuries.   We support its call to establish greater economic equity and justice, to reduce the role of money in political campaigns, and to shift significant resources from military to peaceful purposes.  We affirm the rights of demonstrators to free speech and non-violent assembly to draw attention to such inequities and contribute to lasting change.

 

We acknowledge that everyone in his or her own way is both a victim and a supporter of the violent and dominating system in which we live.  As Friends, we encourage speaking truth to one another about our participation in wars, violence, exploitation, racism, and other forms of domination and inequality.  Joining with other Meetings of the Religious Society of Friends, we hold in the Light the people around the world who are standing in the transforming power of Love, Nonviolence, Mercy and Compassion.  We are convinced, as George Fox described in his 17th century journal, “that there was an ocean of darkness and death, but an infinite ocean of light and love, which flowed over the ocean of darkness.” Approved by Pima Monthly Meeting, April 8, 2012

 

Query: What do members of your meeting recommend?

 

It was decided that the proposed minutes and queries on torture and Occupy will be considered in December if possible.

 

Finally, an email survey will be sent so that IMYM can have some idea of how many will attend yearly meeting considering that the annual FGC meeting will be held in Greeley only a few weeks afterwards.

 

4. First Day School Committee Report:

a. Piano. The piano was donated to the Meeting in about 1987 but is rarely used nowadays. Repair costs would range from several hundred dollars to several thousands of dollars. It is worth about $950. Marty asked for its disposal 2 years ago to have more space. There is someone who wants to adopt it but FDS wanted to discuss any other options, perhaps a sale, giveaway, etc. It was decided to let FDS decide how to dispose of it.

 

b. Play structure: FDS is at a loss how to proceed with fundraising. Only $400-$500 currently raised; another $3,000 is needed. FDS does not want to compete with needs of Meeting as a whole. A set of swings is what some of the kids want. A significant swing structure would be larger and need more anchoring but is only about $500 to $1,000. Far SW corner still area suggested for location. It was decided that the Meeting children and therefore the play structure are important enough for the Meeting to pay for the structure. The following minute was adopted: The Business Meeting requests the FDS Committee to provide the Finance Committee with a budget item for a play structure. First Day School Report accepted.

 

5. Ministry and Counsel Committee Report: Business Meeting had asked M & C to reconsider the October query. The tabled query for October was resubmitted for November and reads: Do we trust sufficiently the goodwill of our meeting members and attenders to make our needs and concerns known? The query was accepted for November.

 

Business Meeting approved the requests of several members regarding laying down their membership or maintaining their membership. Business Meeting clarified the request from Rich and Carol Schrader and decided to approve laying down their membership. Voluntary greeters will be requested in the newsletter, weekly digest, and in Meeting announcements. Allen Winchester will send relevant text to Bob Gaines for the newsletter and Weekly Digest. M & C needs to assign people to close meetings. It was requested that M & C consider their workload and request more people to be on the committee if needed next month. M & C is responsible for dealing with meeting disturbances with final responsibility falling to the clerk. M & C’s report accepted as amended.

 

6. Treasurer’s Report: Accounts balanced and reconciled, switched to using spreadsheets, the Turkle Fund was used to purchase books for the library, and a portion of the Good Works disbursements was made in September. The Treasurer’s report was posted to the IMYM website. Treasurer’s Report accepted. Electronic copy included in the Appendix below.

 

7. Finance Committee Report: Fundraising letter sent out. Restricted funds with low balances were considered for laying down. The Diversity Fund with $0 balance was laid down. The Olmstead Fund to support conscientious objectors was considered for laying down since there is no longer a Draft. Response from Howard Shulman, convener of the Conscientious Objection Committee needed. The Turkle Fund to serve the library has a few hundred dollars. Some of Turkle Fund was to go to purchase Brinton Turkle books which we do not have. The Young Fund was to provide the garden with $250. It was decided that the Young fund will go toward the purchase of a garden bench, which will meet the need for a bench by parents to watch their children.

 

Committees need to submit their budget request within the next month for the coming year so that the Committee can draft the budget for the December Meeting for Business.

 

It was decided that the need for the Roof Replacement Fund will be discussed at the November Finance Committee Meeting. Finance Committee Report accepted.


8. Future Planning Committee Report: A drawing of the recent survey of Meeting property was shown. It will be recorded with the county. There will be a request for a post meeting potluck for sharing. The Future Planning Committee report was accepted. Electronic copy included in the Appendix below.

 

9. Garden Committee & Ad Hoc Garden Planning Committee Reports: Many perennials have been recently planted. A tour of the backyard was made with plans to tidy up the area. A hedge to separate the garden area from the backyard was discussed. A preliminary budget for 2013 has been prepared with a total cost of $4,000. The Garden Committee report was accepted with thanks. Electronic copies of the reports are included in the Appendix below.

 

10. Building Committee Report. Proposal for brick sidewalk project presented. $900.00 budget requested. Dave Wunker will do the labor with the advice of Mac Watson. Also need to address the vibration noise when using the hot water at the kitchen sink and also its slow drainage. There is also a bathtub fixture problem in guest apartment. J. J. Gonzales has been our plumber in the past. There is an electrical problem with the motion sensor lights. Natural gas pilot lights have been turned on. Members and attenders are encouraged to contact the building committee with suggestions. Maintenance comes from the guest apartment contributions and not from meeting donations. Building Committee Report accepted with joy. Project and $900 budget accepted and approved. Electronic report included in the Appendix below.

 

11. Resident’s Report. The resident worked on average, 12 hours a week in August and September. For August, the guest apartment was occupied for 21 nights out of a possible 31 and had income of $1325 (deposits and/or payments). For September the guest apartments was occupied for 23 nights out of a possible 30 and had income of $985 (deposits and/or payments). Reports accepted and included in the Appendix below.


12. Announcements. Two copies of the League of Women Voters guide are available. Reminder to register for the Clerking Workshop (info included in the Appendix below). A suggestion about a slide show of water use in the Netherlands was offered for a future showing and was well received.

 

Meeting concluded with silence at 3:58 pm.

 

 

Appendix to the Minutes of the Tenth Month, October, 2012.

2a. Rebecca Henderson Travel Report

 

Report to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting Regarding

Traveling to Arizona Half Yearly Meeting as the

Companion in the Ministry for Kathleen Wooten

By Rebecca Henderson

 

I traveled by train and bus to Flagstaff, Arizona, where I was given overnight hospitality and a ride to Emmanuel Pines Camp near Prescott for the Arizona Half Yearly Meeting, held September 21-23, 2012. We had a very successful time and Kathleen Wooten’s message about Speaking Truth was well received. She also turned the phrase around and suggested that we also ask, “How does Truth speak to me? And also, how do we present a posture of listening and how are we available to hear the call – with others, in community, and in ourselves? How do I know what is my work to do? In part, as an answer, she quoted Isaac Pennington, “Give over thine own running, give over thine own desiring to know or be anything, and sink down to the seed which God sews in thy heart and let that be in thee, and grow in thee, and breathe in thee, act in thee.” She spoke from her own experience about giving over thine own running, having recently broken a toe and been flat on the sidewalk. Another metaphor she suggested, that ocean people like her know about, is to go sideways along the beach with a rip tide, rather than exhaust yourself fighting to get directly to shore.

Another part Friends found useful was from Parker Palmer, “He calls truth “an eternal conversation about things that matter.” She found that an opening statement. It’s something that opens her up to more exploration, more listening. An “eternal conversation,” something she feels in Meeting as well. That “finding the Truth.” That listening to where we’re guided, listening to where we’re led, about “things that matter.”

In learning to hear the call she suggested the discipline of the Spirit as well as the counsel of others, part of the discipline being the rightly ordered process of Friends that helps them listen and discern in community. It doesn’t mean having a few cranky elders who knew what they were doing telling everyone else how to behave. Not the discipline of the heavy hand, but an understanding held in Love, an opening, a sense of listening, and some testing. Contact me if you wish to know more of her message to Friends.

In addition to Kathleen Wooten’s plenary speech we also met with other smaller groups, for early worship, for conversations at meals, in business meeting, and with young friends. I think we both felt we were well used and that our messages and assistance were satisfactory.

My thanks to the Santa Fe Meeting for this opportunity to serve and for the support I received from the Meeting. With this report I include my endorsed travel minute.

 

Rebecca Henderson, October 14, 2012

PO Box 5662, Santa Fe, NM 87502

 

2b. Rebecca Henderson Letter of Endorsement (hand-written letter copied)

 

Ninth Month, 23rd, 2012

Prescott, Arizona

 

Dear Friends,

 

In fulfillment of her calling to nurture traveling ministry and promote deep conversation among Friends, Rebecca Henderson served as elder and companion to Kathleen Wooten of New England Yearly Meeting on her recent short sojourn among us. We thank you and Rebecca for the generous gift of her time, experience, and insight and for the blessings she has brought to Arizona Friends. We have come to know each other better in the ways that matter.

 

Margaret Brittingham

Arizona Half-Yearly Meeting

4. First Day School (FDS) Committee Meeting Notes, October 14, 2012

Present: Marty Carol, Jan-Willem Jansens, Ariel Harrison, Rebecca Miles, James Hogan

1.  Those present spent some time cleaning the First Day School Room.  We would like to remind people that while donations are appreciated that people should speak with Marty or one of the parents first to make sure the donation is needed/useful.

2. Marty reminded everyone that the trick-or-treat for UNICEF campaign will be coming up in a couple weeks.

3. Marty will be traveling for the month of November and Beverley will be filling in with FDS.

4. Piano - we have identified someone who is interested in the piano and is willing to take it on a long term loan; however they need assistance moving it and it was not clear that meeting would be able/willing to help.    After some discussion it was decided that this topic should be brought to business meeting.

5.  Play structure - fundraising has been slow; there was a general discussion of options (raffle; cookies or other items in return for a donation).  There was also discussion of potential grants or other funds outside of meeting; it was suggested that this topic be raised at Business meeting to see if anyone was aware of potential resources.  Finally there was discussion that the current target of over $3,000 for a play structure might be too ambitious for the financial resources of the meeting and that focusing on a smaller swing set (rather than a larger play structure) would be more appropriate.  (Rebecca looked into this and found swing sets of this type $1,300 to $2,000).

6.  Next Meeting - it was decided that the next FDS meeting would be a potluck after Meeting on October 28th.  The purpose is firstly, to share a meal together and celebrate our community of parents, and secondly to brainstorm about the play structure.

5. M & C October 2012 Report to Monthly Business Meeting

 

M & C met by email in October due to member conflicts that made it impractical to meet in person.

 

October/November Query:

After an email discussion and input from a Friend, it was decided to resubmit the tabled October Query: “Do we trust sufficiently the goodwill of our meeting members and attenders to make our needs and concerns known?” without change for November. An M & C member suggested: “When we feel challenged by a query or

uncomfortable with it, that may mean that it’s working as it should, and the first thing to do is ponder our discomfort, the challenge we feel.” Another member suggested: “There is more reason to worry when no one takes issue with them or the issues they raise.”

 

Membership:

M & C recommends the Business Meeting approve Jim Griffith’s request to be released from membership. He finds the Buddhist and Sufi communities meeting his needs. M & C recommends approval of Ann McLaughlin’s request that her membership be laid down. Reasons: traveling, daily life, full life schedule and not feeling moved to participate in the search process for a larger meeting space. M & C recommends approval of Rosellen Aleguire’s request to remain on the membership list. M & C tabled discussion of Rich and Carol Schraders’ request that their membership be laid down, until further contact with them at the request of a Friend, who believes they would like to be members but are unable to contribute financially at this time.

 

Meeting Needs:

  1. M & C has been requested to find replacements for our greeters. We request that volunteers be sought by announcement at the Business Meeting, the newsletter and weekly digest. We would also like volunteers to work with Ann Beauchamp on sending notes to visitors who sign the guest register.

 

M & C will meet in person Nov 4 at 1:30 p.m.

 

Sincerely,

Allen Winchester

M & C Co-Clerk

 

6. Treasurer's Report October 2012

 

1. The accounts balance and have been reconciled with the bank, as reported to the Finance Committee. The Treasurer's Report is posted on the sf.imym.org website, showing our figures through the end of September. As noted in the summary, expenses have exceeded donations by $8,175.00. Our General Fund balance at the end of September was $3,214.30; the Maintenance Fund balance was $12,124.41.

 

2. I have switched to using spreadsheets for the bookkeeping and the transition seems to have gone well. I am able to reconcile with the bank and to track our expenses as reported above. Budget planning for 2013 has begun and here again, I have been able to access current and past expenses and budgets to help the Finance committee find a starting point.

 

3. The Turkle Fund was used to purchase books for the library. The amount was $38.24 for 2 copies of each of the two books recommended for November Workshop on Clerking and Quaker process. these are in the library for use before and after the workshop. The remaining balance in this fund is $344.76.

 

4. A portion of the Good Works disbursements was made in September, as directed by the Good Works committee. The total disbursed was $1,950.00.

 

submitted, Ted Pomeroy, Treasurer

 

7. Santa Fe Monthly Meeting Finance Committee, 15 October 2012

 

Present: Frank Hirsch, Roxanne Seagraves, Ted Pomeroy, Ann Beauchamp

 

Meeting opened with a brief period of silent worship.

 

Fundraising Letter -- Clerk Frank Hirsch provided draft copies of a fundraising letter to be sent to meeting members and attenders. Comments and alterations were suggested. Frank will distribute a new draft to the committee via email following the meeting. Bob Gaines will send the final letter to the meeting mailing list.

Restricted Funds with Low Balances -- Treasurer Ted Pomeroy provided details on current balances and activity on several funds designated in the SFMM budget.

 

  • Diversity Fund was identified as having been created several years ago specifically to assist a meeting member to attend a conference on Diversity. The fund has had zero balance since then and will be laid down.

 

  • Olmstead Fund was identified as intended to support conscientious objectors. The fund currently has a balance below $200. There has been no recent activity with this fund. Ted will speak to Howard Shulman, convener of the Conscientious Objection committee about its needs and actions. Frank will contact Pam Gilchrist from Peace and Social Concerns. Since there is currently no draft, it may be time to consider the nature of conscientious objection and military service in the present climate, and to what purpose the remaining money in the Olmstead Fund can be most beneficial.

 

  • Turkle Fund is designated to benefit the library and currently has just under $350. Ted, who also serves on Library Committee, reported that the committee uses this money to acquire Quaker related materials for the library. He anticipates that the funds will be expended in a few years and the Fund can then be laid down.

 

  • Young Fund is intended to benefit the meetinghouse garden and to provide a memorial to Jeanette Young. The fund currently has approximately $250. This matter will be referred to the Garden Committee to determine the most appropriate use for this fund that is in keeping with its designated purpose.

Other restricted funds and contributions were discussed. The committee concluded that these do not need additional attention at this time. Ted and Frank will speak with Bettina Raphael for an update on the status of the restricted contribution made to conduct a survey of the Canyon Road property.

 

Budget – Ted proposed changes to organize budget line items within committee responsibilities. This may assist committees in communicating their actual needs to Finance Committee in the 2013 budget process. It was proposed that the IMYM Assessment be moved to the general budget as an administrative expense of the meeting instead of the Good Works budget. Ted will prepare additional changes to the budget format for the committee’s use.

 

Frank will provide the Finance Committee report at SFMM meeting for business on 22 October. The committee will meet again in November 2012 to review budget requests from other SFMM committees and to prepare the meeting budget for 2013. The meeting date for November was not finalized. Finance Committee closed following a pause for silent worship.

 

Ann E. Beauchamp, recording clerk

8. Future Planning Committee Report, Tenth Month, 2012

The Future Planning Comm. met on October16th with Frank Hirsch, John Kretzmann, Rebecca Miles, Wyn Lewis, Dave Giltrow, Philip Balcombe, and Bettina Raphael present. The group reviewed the comments and sense gathered at the two worship sharing sessions held in August and September to listen to the vision of members for the future of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. These sessions have been helpful in drawing the body of the Meeting into the process of identifying both spiritual and practical priorities in considering the quality of worship space we desire, along with the direction and growth of the Meeting. The committee recognizes that there is a considerable range of views on the need for and the scope of a new meeting facility. We are planning another gathering with a somewhat different format to present examples of facility options that have been researched by the committee for the wider group to consider and we are hopeful that a larger representation of the Meeting will attend.

The Committee’s request for a survey of the Canyon Road property was carried out with support from a member of Meeting and work by a local land surveying company where Colin Holloway is employed. We have the completed survey which did not produce many surprises but does show clearly the exact boundaries and locations of the buildings. The drawings will be recorded with the county and will allow us to approach neighbor(s) on our west boundary with a Quit Claim action to resolve an ownership ambiguity on that boundary which has existed for over 25 years. While the original cost estimate for the survey was $2000, the actual charges were little over $900, thanks to the generous donation of Colin’s time by the Southwest Mountain Surveys Company. The donor of the $2000 has agreed for the Meeting to use the remaining funds to pursue a legal Quit Claim action and any unspent monies will go to the Meeting’s “Bricks and Mortar Fund”.

Prepared by Bettina Raphael 10/21/12

 

9a. Garden Committee Report, 10th Month, 2012

 

Since last Business Meeting, Friends have worked in the garden planting perennials that were both purchased and donated. Dave Wunker has continued with intensive weeding and hooking up irrigation to the newly planted perennials. Friends gathered for a Garden Celebration and workday on October 14 following rise of Meeting. Weeding, pruning, planting, drip irrigation installation and general garden cleanup were done. For this past year, I want to acknowledge the work, donations of material, time and advice of Ann Beauchamp, Mary Ray Cate, Rebecca Cecil, Martha Davis, Jamie Gagan, Bob Gaines, David Giltrow, Pam Gilchrist, Lorraine Graham, Jan-Willem Jansens, Rowan and Rosie Jansens, Ariel Harrison, Tammi Hayes, John Kretzmann, Ted Pomeroy, Bettina Raphael, Carolina Espejel Sherman, Carolyn Stephenson, Mary Ross Taylor, Jennifer Wellington, Dave Wunker, the Smallz brothers and anyone I have not specifically mentioned by name.

 

Small amounts of money have been expended for drip materials, plants and landfill trips. In kind donations have been made of plant materials and soil amendments. The Smallz brothers were not needed this past month for weeding.

 

New plantings are to the west of the walkway on the west side of the building, in the large circular area to the south and about the seating area to the south and east of the property. They all seem to be doing well. There should be Spring, Summer and Fall color and interest.

 

Two loads of green waste have been taken to the landfill with another load needing to be taken as well.

 

As weather permits, ongoing Autumn maintenance will continue.

 

Dave Giltrow, Dave Wunker, Jan-Willem Jansens and Alan Rogers toured the property to look at areas and materials that are stored here and there, identified what we have and made plans to tidy up, protect material as needed and dispose of what is no longer needed. The outdoor fireplace seems to fit the latter description. There has been some discussion about the fate of Olive Rush’s old and broken birdbath and it remains to be decided what to do with it.

 

Dave Giltrow and Bettina Raphael asked about planting a visual barrier between the front gardens that are being maintained and the back unmaintained area. Research into this has led to a recommendation for planting Viburnum. Of the various cultivars, Viburnum Burkwoodii seems to meet our needs as far as height, 6-10 feet and width, 5-8 feet. It has Spring bloom of dark red then pink buds followed by white flowers in clusters 2-2.5 inches in size that resemble snowballs and last for 2 or more weeks. They are attractive to butterflies, honeybees and hummingbirds. It sets a red fruit that darkens to black and is a source of food for birds. In the Fall, the foliage develops an orange color or it can be evergreen if in a protected area. It takes full or partial sun. It has modest water needs, tolerates drought and poor soils. It is appropriate to our zone 5. It would seem that we need about 5-7 plants. I have found a source at Agua Fria Nursery for $35 a plant with 25% off currently. I have not looked elsewhere yet.

 

Jan-Willem Jansens, Dave Wunker and Alan Rogers and pulled together a preliminary budget proposal for 2013. I believe that Jan-Willem has that available.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Rogers

 

9b. NOTES FROM A GARDEN PLANNING MEETING September 24, 2012

 

PRESENT: Alan Rogers, Dave Wunker, Jan-Willem Jansens (note taker)

 

  1. PLANNING OF GARDEN ACTIVITIES FOR OCTOBER 2012

 

Activities that need doing this fall include:

  1. Weeding

  2. Working in soil amendments at the base of plants

  3. Turning compost

  4. Digging out tomatoes and other small chores to put the garden to bed for the winter

 

Calendar for October:

 

Sa10/6: Weeding (A) – Alan to supervise

 

Sa 10/13: Weeding (A) – Jan-Willem to supervise

 

Su 10/14: Garden day for Friends (12:30-4:00 pm): Putting the garden to bed for winter (all tasks: A-D), especially working in soil amendments

 

Sa 10/20: Weeding (A) – Alan to supervise

 

Friends are advised to bring hand tools, gloves, water and snacks

 

  1. GARDEN BUDGET FOR 2013

 

We anticipate the following expenses in 2013:

 

Notes:

  1. We anticipate having some meetings for discernment about the need for, the shape of, and plant selection for a potential hedgerow in the back of the garden to separate the planted garden part from the wilder grassy and tree garden.

  2. We anticipate that we will have planning meetings also for the development of a hardened pathway into the garden to improve access for the handicapped and people with strollers, etc. We propose and anticipate that costs for such improvements are included in the Building & Grounds budget.

  3. The garden welcomes donated supplies, such as plants and soil amendments, after consultation with the garden committee about specific needs.

  4. We propose to hire the Smallz Bros. Services for ongoing garden maintenance between April and October, at a basis of 6 hours of work every two weeks. This constitutes 15 weeks (or 7 months) of work.

  5. We propose that this garden budget is based on Friends volunteering one day in the growing season and one day in the fall. The Garden Committee will establish a volunteer work calendar for 2013 with backup dates in case of inclement weather. The Garden Committee will offer guidance to Friends and the Schmaltz Brothers to ensure that only weeds are removed and desired plants cherished and nurtured.

 

10. Building Committee Report, Tenth Month, 2012

 

The building committee which consists of Bettina Raphael, David Giltrow and Dave Wunker met on October 10th to review plans for upgrading the front walkway from dirt/gravel to brick, address routine maintenance tasks and lighting of space heater pilot lights in anticipation of cold weather.

It was agreed to request business meeting's approval of the walkway's brick project's budget totaling $900, to be funded from the maintenance fund. The major expenditures are bricks, sand, wheel barrow and miscellaneous tools. The several relevant city departments will be consulted and any necessary permits obtained. We anticipate advice and technical assistance from Mac Watson who has conducted various projects on the meetinghouse over the years in his capacity as an historic preservationist and contractor. Dave Wunker has offered to provide the principal labor pro bono and this has been approved by the committee.

Several minor and not urgent maintenance needs are expected to be conducted soon by our plumbing and electrical contracts. These include work on the meetinghouse kitchen drain and noisy hot water line, the guest apartment's shower/bath controls where the hot water setting for a bath is not working well, and electrical work on the several motion sensor floodlight units which are not currently triggered up entry onto the entrance walkway.

The pilot lights for the gas space heaters in the meeting room, First Day schoolroom and Ramada have been lit and tested. They all are operating normally. As reported in the Weekly Digest, a new combination CO/smoke detector has been installed in the FDS, a battery has been replaced in a similar unit in the meeting room which has two CO detectors.

In order to more efficiently make use of the two electric heat baseboard units in the meeting room, there has been a seasonal change in the seating configuration so that the units are not blocked by the large bench and a chair.

Routine outdoor painting has been completed on the lintel over the kitchen entrance and the exterior door to the Ramada’s storeroom. Wood preservative is needed on the outdoor benches and other exposed wood from the meetinghouse's vigas.

We are experimenting with simple covers for the recently restored cushions of the four metal lounge chairs so that the chairs can still be used in the winter, but with reduced weather and UV stress on the cushions' covers.

Members and attenders are encouraged to contact building committee members with suggestions and any repair needs. Please remember that virtually all expenditures on building maintenance come from the separate maintenance fund which is supported by guest apartment occupants and groups using the meetinghouse making donations.

 

11a. Resident's Report for August, 2012

 

Resident worked an average of about 12 hours a week during August. Activity included outdoor sweeping, handling trash and recycling, mail collection and distribution, guest apartment reservations, guest apartment cleaning and laundry, Meetinghouse cleaning, and garden watering. Garden weeding and collecting fallen fruit continued.

 

Guest Apartment: 21 guest nights out of a possible 31.
Income: $1325 (deposits and/or payments)

 

11b. Resident's Report for September, 2012

 

Resident worked an average of about 12 hours a week during September. Activity included outdoor sweeping, handling trash and recycling, mail collection and distribution, guest apartment reservations, guest apartment cleaning and laundry, Meetinghouse cleaning, and garden watering. Garden weeding and collecting fallen fruit continued and there was a lot of pruning.

 

Guest Apartment: 23 guest nights out of a possible 30.
Income: $985 (deposits and/or payments)

 

12. Announcements

New Mexico Regional Meeting Workshop on Clerking and Quaker Process with Elizabeth Boardman, November 9-10, 2012, Albuquerque

Elizabeth Boardman is the author of Where Should I Stand? : A Field Guide for Monthly Meeting Clerks (Quaker Press,2008). She is a longtime member of San Francisco Friends Meeting, where she served as monthly meeting clerk from 2002-2006. She is also the author of Taking a Stand: A Guide to Peace Teams and Accompaniment Projects (New Society Publishers, 2005), inspired by her trip to Iraq with Voices in the Wilderness peace team in 2002. She more recently wrote:  Letters from Lillian: Faith and Practice among modern liberal Quakers.  For 30 years a developer and manager of health care services for frail elders, Elizabeth is now a full-time writer and war tax resister with numerous offspring.

WHO SHOULD COME:  Anyone interested in Quaker process, Friends, attenders, seekers, spiritual scholars, elders, committee and Meeting clerks, former clerks, committee clerks, those who serve on committees, those who come to Meeting for Business and those who think they might attend sometime.

WHY COME:  Are you curious about Quaker process?  Are you new to Quakerism and interested in learning more about Quakers and how we really operate?  How do we uphold the work of the clerk and good order in the Meeting?  Would you like guidance in how to clerk a Meeting or a committee?

WHAT'S HAPPENING:  Friday: 6:30-8:30 pm At 1st Congregational UCC 2800 Lomas Blvd NE, Simple supper and intro to Quaker terms and expressions; a family affair, Saturday: Day program at Albuquerque Monthly Meeting, 1600 5th St. NW, ABQ, 87125, 9am-Noon Our Quaker lives and practice, committees, hierarchies and the lack thereof.  Lunch provided, 1-5 pm Clerkship and the meeting community

Evening program at Albuquerque Mennonite Church, 1300 Girard Blvd NE, 6-8 pm Supper and workshop leftovers, Sunday: Join Albuquerque Monthly Meeting for Meeting for worship at 10:30 a.m., Please send registrations by October 15, 2012 so that we may make arrangements for food, housing and childcare. A $10 donation will be collected at the door. Send to : Wyn Lewis, 214 Sereno Dr, Santa Fe NM 87501 or wynlewissf@gmail.com, Miriam Bennett, 4711 McKnight Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110 or miriambennett@ymail.com, Call with questions: Miriam: 505/344-4158 Wyn: 505/982-4588, Name, Number of people in party, Children needing childcare with ages, Contact info, Phone Email, Dietary restrictions, Hospitality needed? Friday 11/9, Saturday 11/10, Allergies or other special considerations for hospitality/transportation:

 

Document Actions