Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2011 Newsletters / September 2011 Newsletter

September 2011 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Ninth Month 2011

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.


Sunday, 9/04 9:15 Ministry and Oversight Committee; 12:30 p.m. Potluck
Sunday, 9/11 10:10 2nd Sunday Discussion
Sunday, 9/18 12:30 Meeting for Worship for Business
Sunday, 9/25 12:30 Adult Education Committee Discussion

 

The Monthly Query for the 9th month, 2011

 

Mindful that the light leads us in different ways, how do you demonstrate your respect for others’ modes of service?” IMYM Faith and Practice, p. 143

 

Announcements

 

Sept. 4 - Threshing session during potluck on the Peace and Social Concerns Committee's draft "Peaceable Kindom" minute.

Sept. 7 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

Sept. 3, 10, 17 & 24 – Garden Committee invites you to join us in the garden this and every Saturday at 9:30 for the remainder of the summer. There are lots of gentle tasks for all ages and abilities. Please come one and all join the committee to care for the garden. Thanks!

Sept. 11 - Second Sunday DiscussionThe article for consideration in the 9/11 Second Sunday Discussion is "What Do We Do Now" by Arden Buck, published in the April 2003 FJ. Copies of this article and the associated query will be available by the birdhouse beginning 9/4 to give ample time for reading and reflection. For those accessing the article on line, the query is: "In what way do I wish to shape my thoughts and actions to promote peace within myself and my community?” We begin promptly at 10:10 and close at 10:40. All interested persons are invited to attend. Friends are also enthusiastically encouraged to suggest FJ articles they find interesting for future consideration. If you have any questions, please call Howard Shulman (984 - 9908) or Pamela Geyer (984 - 0377.)

Sept. 11 – Peace & Social Concerns Committee will meet at the rise of the meeting in the garden around 12:30.

Sept. 16 to 18, Quaker Women’s Retreat at Reserve, NM: Please plan to attend all or part of the Quaker Women’s Retreat on the weekend of September 16-18 at the home of Claire Leonard in Reserve, NM. Contact Rebecca Henderson @ rebeccahenderson4@hotmail.com to join.

Sept. 25 - Adult Education, Fourth First Day, September 25th. Discussion, "Bible reading, Bible guides." A look at some of our library guides and other books. A brief look at the history of "higher criticism" in Bible scholarship and how that impacts modern reading of the bible. Suggested reading for this session: a) "Shall the Fundamentalists Win" a sermon from 1922 by Harry Emerson Fosdick, available on the web at: http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5070/. b) Peter Bishop "Peter on Reading the Bible" at: http://quakerpagan.blogspot.com/2007/12/peter-on-reading-bible.html. c) "How to Evaluate the Credibility of a Source" at: http://www.wikihow.com/Evaluate-the-Credibility-of-a-Source.
OR one of these books: Jaroslov Pelikan, "Whose Bible Is It?", SFMM library; Peter Gomes, "The Good Book", SFMM library.

Members/Attenders are reminded the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting accepts Automatic Contributions for donation; most banks and credit unions now offer a service -- typically free -- which allows you to set up an automatic payment on any frequency you desire. There are two ways you might be able to set up an automatic payment: 1. Your bank or credit union will mail a check to the Meeting at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501; or 2. Your bank or credit union will transfer the money electronically to the Meeting's account at Guadalupe Credit Union (contact the treasurer for the Meeting's account number and GCU routing number). More information at http://sf.imym.org/autocontribution

Members are reminded to go to www.fcnl.org for current action information from the Friends Committee on National Legislation.

South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group: Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey #209 Santa Fe NM 87507 (505) 471-2288. Meeting is held in a rust-red building on the short end of Camino Carlos Rey, northwest of Cerrillos Road. Worship is every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.

Please send newsletter comments or suggestions to Marcy Pompei @ marcypompei@comcast.net.

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends. Eighth Month, 21st day, 2011. 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM.

Present: Bob Gaines (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk), Carolyn Stephenson, Kathleen Burke, Philip Balcombe, Dorothy Lear, John Kretzmann, Marty Carroll, Mary Ray Cate, Marcy Pompei, Pamela Geyer, Rebecca Henderson, Shelley Cohen, Peggy Giltrow, Ted Pomeroy, Pam Gilchrist, Lorraine Graham, David Giltrow.

The meeting for worship for business started at 12:37 p.m. with silence in the meeting room at 630 Canyon Road. As is the usual practice, Clerk Bob Gaines read from Faith and Practice which was a reminder to be mindful of the decision-making process in the manner of Friends. "All members are encouraged to attend meetings for business and to be faithful in the service of the meeting’s affairs. Appointments of office holders and committee members are most successful when made with careful consideration of the qualifications of the nominees and of the opportunities for growth that may be afforded. This is especially important when considering young Friends. In our meetings for business and in all the duties connected with them, we are charged to make conscientious use of our gifts.” - IMYM Faith and Practice, Advices, p. 120.

(1.) Minutes:

Friends approved the minutes of the Seventh Month as published, with the following correction. The recommendations from the resident’s committee should have read as follows in the minutes for the Eighth month: “The Resident and the Meeting intend a two-year commitment to the Residency, with the option of extension for one or more successive yearlong terms, by mutual agreement between the committee and the Resident, and with the approval of Meeting for Business. A review after the initial six months, and thereafter annually, will give the Meeting and the Resident opportunity to confirm their compatibility. If unexpected circumstances arise for the Meeting or the Resident, either may give six month's notice to end the agreement, bearing in mind the needs of each party for adequate advance planning time.

The Residence Committee and its individual members provide regular ongoing support of, and communication with, the Resident. Meeting members are encouraged to share any concerns regarding the Residency with the Committee.”

(2.) Discussion of the SFMM web site:

Because of technical problems with the web site (sf.imym.org), the default password is not working. Friends needing access to password-protected material my contact the site administrator, Bob Gaines, for access. The password protection instituted five years ago was intended to protect the contact information of members and attenders which might appear in meeting documents. (The meeting's directory is not posted on the website and is available only on request.) Approximately three quarters of the web site is password protected, mostly past newsletters, committee reports, and SFMM policies. The clerk asked Friends to think about whether the meeting should consider making all of the web content available. Feedback from members and attenders on this issue is welcome. The web site with information about the guest apartment (santa-fe.quaker.org) is not password protected.

(3.) Resident’s Committee:

Marty Carroll updated business meeting on the selection of the resident. The applicant chosen by the committee has not been available by phone and next steps were of concern. Friends approved the recommendation of the Resident’s Committee, with the proviso that if the applicant does not accept the position, then Ted Pomeroy will be the resident. The committee’s recommendation to offer ten days free in the guest apartment for family and friends of the resident was discussed; Friends with alternative suggestions are encouraged to contact the committee, and we will revisit this recommendation at another business meeting. Friends accepted the report of the Resident’s Committee.

(4.) Nominating Committee:

Friends approved the second reading of Greg Cliburn as a member of Ministry and Oversight.

(5.) Ministry and Oversight:

Friends approved the M&O report read by Rebecca Henderson. Friends agreed with joy to the transfer of membership of Irene Webb from Santa Monica Meeting. The query for the ninth month is as follows: “Mindful that the light leads us in different ways, how do you demonstrate your respect for others’ modes of service? From IMYM F & P

The entire M&O report included in the Appendix highlights closing meeting for worship, the spiritual life of the Meeting, sources of queries, worship groups, and more.

(6.) Peace and Social Concerns:

Friends accepted the Peace and Social Concerns report as read by Pam Gilchrist. The report is included in the Appendix to these minutes. The highlights include the draft of an environmental minute that will be prepared for SFMM; concern that IMYM didn’t give enough attention to the state of the environment; an invitation from Albuquerque Meeting to participate in sponsoring an exhibit about Afghanistan assembled by AFSC; the offer of a Mexican human rights worker to speak and more. Peace and Social Concerns committee members requested that someone step forward to volunteer to coordinate the AFSC exhibit for SFMM in conjunction with other sponsors, as well as to respond to the speaking offer by the Mexican human rights worker now living in Santa Fe.

(7.) Treasurer:

Friends accepted with thanks the report ending July 31st prepared by SFMM treasurer Shelley Cohen. The treasurer’s report that is included in the Appendix to these minutes acknowledged that as of August, People for Peace has its own checking account at Wells Fargo Bank, and SFMM is no longer a signatory.

(8.) Finance Committee:

The report from the Finance Committee, which was accepted by Friends, is included in the Appendix to these minutes. The Finance Committee has seven meetings scheduled for the future. Two more members (who are available to make deposits) are needed to contribute to the work of the committee. Friends approved 50% of the allocated Good Works donations to be distributed immediately and the remaining 50% at the end of the year. Friends also approved the recommendation of Peggy Giltrow and Rebecca Henderson that 1/3 of the total of $8,5l6 go into the New Meetinghouse Fund (restricted to bricks and mortar) and 2/3 of the total into the General Fund. The Finance Committee reminded conveners to submit budget requests to Marcy Pompei by email as soon as possible.

(9.) Building Committee:

Friends accepted the report of the Building Committee with special thanks to David Giltrow for his dedicated work. The report is included in the Appendix to these minutes. M&O will address the issue of the chairs at the rear of the Meeting room and how to keep the area open for easy exit.

(10.) Resident’s Report:

The resident Kathleen Burke worked 60 hours in July. Income from the guest apartment came to a total of $725, and this reflects 22 of 31 days occupied. The Envision Santa Fe report is included in the Appendix to these minutes. The meeting's participation in the first round of assisting formerly homeless families ends in October of 2012. A replacement for Kathleen Burke as our liaison to Envision Santa Fe is being sought.

(11.) Announcements:

The Quaker Women’s retreat is set for September 16, 17, and 18th in Reserve, NM. See Rebecca Henderson or consult the Meeting digest for more information. No Friends Journal article has been selected yet for September 11th discussion.

The meeting for worship for business ended with silence at 1:50 p.m.

Appendix: For the Eighth Month 2011

(1.) Report to Business Meeting August 21, 2011 for
M & O Committee – Minutes of Meeting
Eighth Month, 2001

M & O Met on August 7th, 2011 in the First Day School Room. Present were Pam Gilchrist, Ann Beauchamp, Greg Cliburn (attending after first reading), John Kretzmann, Bob Gaines (ex-officio) and Rebecca Henderson.

The Minutes of July 3rd were approved as corrected.

Observations of the Spiritual Life of the Meeting:
We note the presence of many new attenders and hope to provide an informal potluck discussion to welcome them to the Meeting. Currently, we have heard no requests for any follow-up to the Meeting for Worship for Listening with Compassion held May 29th, 2011. We will ask key participants if they have any suggestions or additional requests.

Membership Matters:
We have received the certificate of transfer papers from the Santa Monica Meeting in California for Irene Webb. We recommend to business meeting that her transfer of membership to the Santa Fe Meeting by accepted with joy.
We have received an email from Barri Sanders, a member of Santa Fe Meeting who formerly attended Clearlight Worship Group in Taos. She indicates her interest in maintaining ties with Quakers. Rebecca will continue to correspond with her about her membership status.

Closing Meeting on First Days:
August closings, Rebecca Henderson
September closings, Greg Cliburn
October closings, Ann Beauchamp

Query for August (already approved by business meeting):
How do we share with others our understanding of service and commitment to Quaker practice?”

Query for September:
Mindful that the light leads us in different ways, how do you demonstrate your respect for others’ modes of service? From IMYM F & P

Future Queries:
We are comfortable using the IMYM Faith and Practice queries as a base for the query we put up in the meeting room each month. We will modify them from time to time to make them appropriate for our Meeting. We will consider a set of queries to prepare at one time for business meeting approval

Fans:
Friends have expressed difficulty with the heat of summer in the meeting room and fans. At a quick M & O meeting break, Bob Gaines spoke to and worked with Ted Pomeroy and Kathleen Burke about what modifications might be made. Ted and Kathleen will continue to work on this. Rebecca will speak at the beginning of meeting today to the effect that we anticipate a solution and ask Friends to be patient.

Care of Individuals:
We considered the needs of various people who are currently under our care and looked for ways to assist them.

An Anchor Committee:
Rebecca Henderson has requested an anchor committee to support her as she prepares the keynote address for Colorado Regional Meeting, October 21-23, 2011. An anchor committee gives feed-back and encouragement for a person’s endeavor, and gives them support, but it is also similar to a clearness committee in its role to help a person find clarity. As a committee we appoint Greg Cliburn, convenor, Beverly Busching, and Pam Geyer. [Note to M & O folks -- Pam Geyer’s name to stay in this report if she accepts, if not I’ll take it out.]

Worship Groups:
Los Alamos Worship Group is moving along, albeit still with some struggling to find a meeting space. Frequently about ten people attend. They meet twice a month, on the second and fourth Sundays. Contact Martha Davis for the current meeting time and place if you wish to join them. 662-7287. John Kretzmann is the liaison.
Taos continues to meet. Rebecca Henderson will continue contacts with them and will help work out details for a possible intervisitation with them in late fall.
Curtis Soluhub is the liaison for the Las Vegas Worship Group. Bob Gaines will contact him to see if he has a report to make.
Kathleen Burke has been our liaison with South Santa Fe Worship Group, but she will be leaving Santa Fe in October. M & O asks Ann Beauchamp to take up this responsibility.
Rebecca Henderson will continue worshiping with the 9:00 group from time to time. Margy Willen is the one who primarily reports to M & O.

Faith and Practice Copies:
We have given four copies of IMYM’s Faith and Practice to our young friends, and there are some plans to use them for their discussions. In addition we have ten more copies that are available for $10 each. Friends can contact Bob Gaines if they wish to buy a copy.

Greeting Newcomers who come to Meeting:
Pam Gilchrist will do a sign for the door between the kitchen and the library that indicates the way to the Meeting Room. We all have in hand the small pamphlet “Silent Worship and Quaker Values, An Introduction,” by Marsha D. Holliday, distributed by Quaker Press of Friends General Conference. Each of us will study this in the next month for its suitability for distribution to newcomers. Greg Cliburn will send an email to Shelley Cohen, treasurer, inquiring about the availability of small envelopes to go near the bird-house in case people would like to use them for their cash contributions.

Meeting concluded, to meet again September 4th. Anyone wishing to bring a concern to M & O should speak with John Kretzmann or Rebecca Henderson, co-clerks of M & O.

(2.) PEACE AND SOCIAL CONCERNS COMMITTEE MEETING (August 14, 2011)

Attendees: Beverly Busching, Pam Gilchrist, Lorraine Graham, David Henkel, Rebecca J. Henderson, Njoroge C. Tho-Biaz, Jennifer Wellington

After a period of silence we discussed::
DRAFT OF AN ENVIRONMENTAL MINUTE
The purpose of the Minute is to frame our intention. At the Threshing Session there will be an opportunity to consider the Minute and to learn if the meeting is supportive of it. Our intention is to send out the draft before the September 4th Potluck Threshing session.

We listened to a reading of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting's Minute on “A Quaker Witness On Ecology And The Economy” to be found in the attachments to IMYM 2011 minutes.

We shared our concern about how little attention was given to the subject of the Environment at IMYM this past year. Fortunately, a members will be actively involved in the Continuing committee and involved in planning the agenda for 2012.

WINDOWS AND MIRRORS
We received an invitation from Albuquerque Meeting regarding this exhibit from Afghanistan that was assembled by AFSC. A coalition, including the Albuquerque Friends Meeting, will have it for the month of April 2012 and are offering it to the Santa Fe Meeting for the last 2 weeks of that month or for the following month. P&SC committee is seeking a point person to coordinate Santa Fe Friends Meeting participation in this project.

CIPRIANA JURADO, a Mexican Human Rights Worker, was granted asylum to live in Santa Fe. She is willing to offer public presentations regarding her life's work in the struggle for human rights an Westminster Presbyterian to arrange the presentation, perhaps at South Side.

SANTA CLARA DEVASTATION
The contact person there has not yet returned our calls of offers of assistance.

(3.) Treasurer's Report
For January 1 to July 31, 2011
Prepared August 15, 2011

31 July 2011 31 July 2010
General Fund income to date $17,884 $12,928
Percentage of budgeted income received 65% 53%
General Fund expenses to date $13,243 $13,846
Percentage of budgeted expenses paid 47% 54%

Maintenance Fund income to date $7,121 $5,281
Percentage of budgeted income received 79% 59%
Maintenance Fund expenses to date $7,101 $15,229
Percentage of budgeted expenses paid 79% 80%

Total cash in bank $31,313 $18,117
Checking $8,158 $5,036
Money market $11,437 $1,430
CDs (3 and 6 month) $11,638 $11,551
Share $101 $101

General Fund $20,247 $9,004
Maintenance Fund $7,012 $5,560
Olmstead Fund $162 $162
Sufferings Fund $1,600 $1,400
Turkle Fund $383 $583
Adult Education Fund $243 $600
Young Fund 200 $120
New Meetinghouse Fund $698 $688
Emergency Assistance $200

Notes: (a) General Fund income to date includes $7,381 from the Lee Carter Estate, ultimately to be divided between General Fund and restricted use (“bricks and mortar”) in the New Meetinghouse Fund.

(4.) Finance Committee Report

(To be included in the permanent minutes.)

(5.) Building Committee

Building Committee Report 8th Month 21, 2011

The committee has begun maintenance of the adobe walls in the main entranceway. The work will be done in stages: (1) to determine causes of deterioration in a portion of the lower east wall, (2) sealing areas against birds building nests and (3) stabilization where cracks have formed. There will be work on the exterior of the east wall adjacent to the neighbor's property. Timing of the work will be based on the craftsman's work schedule as well as weather, especially temperatures. We expect there will be minimum disruption to the First Day activities of the Meeting. However, there may be the need to close off the gate entrance while the work is going on, making some inconvenience for guest apartment occupants and AA group members during the week. We are awaiting an estimate for the initial, critical stage of the work. When available, we'll report this to the treasurer and the Meeting.

A new fan has been purchased to address the warm weather need for additional air circulation in the meetingroom--but with as little noise as possible. The new fan has a variety of settings which are being tested to determine the best combination of speed and oscillation plus optimum location in the meetingroom.

A specific location for renovation of the portal floor was discussed. In particular, near the north entrance of the portal, there is a decorative stone/concrete strip which was originally designed and executed by Olive Rush. We expect to engage a craftsman to repair the area, perhaps using smooth stones of specific sizes collected by First Day school attenders.

The piano remains in the First Day schoolroom following discussion with a family which was interested in receiving it. Because of their uncertainties for remaining in Santa Fe, they decided not to pursue the loan of the piano.

The issue of maintaining a clearway at the entrance to the meetingroom was discussed. A temporary sign with abbreviated language will be drawn up and placed in a visible location reminding members and attenders to keep chairs out of the entrance/fire exit path. It may be that a verbal reminder will also be required during the announcement period at the rise of meeting, repeated each week until the path is kept clear. The two heritage chairs in the garage entrance entry space will remain in place but with adjustments to make them unattractive for moving into the clearway.

We were provided with the resident's list of items to be considered ahead of her departure which fall under the committee's responsibilities. The list includes the condition of the ramada, disposition of various pieces of furniture, and her timetable leading up to the change of resident. We appreciate having this list in order to make the transition to another resident as smooth as possible.

Respectfully submitted, David Giltrow, convener

(6.) Report for Envision Santa Fe

ENVISION SANTA FE - July 19 meeting notes

Attending: Ellen Biderman, Sue Breslauer, Bev Larzalere, Bethany Carpenter, Brendalyn Batchelor, Nancy Holtzman, Oen Kunkle, Erik Mason, Angela Merkert, Kathleen Bruke, Brie Chapman, Emily folks, Greg Kennedy

1. Family Updates

All families are in housing! Baca children are figuring our school options; Jitter is due in August; Yudi's family moved

2. New faith communities

The following faith communitites are interested in joining Envision:

First Presbyterian - they couldn't attend the meeting
Unitarians Church - they are awaiting new minister, but Angela believes they will participate.
St. Bedes - Owen will take the project back to his committee
Westminter - they are already supporting three families; one or more may be able to be part of Envision. They would like to partner with perhaps First Pres. They also have to see if they can take on one more thing this year.
Unity - interested in providing mentors
Zia - interested in providing mentors

3. Operating manual

The operating manual was gone over. We clarified the role of the faith communities and the families Faith communities, in partnership with other communities and with Envsion, are responsible for supporting the families one-time expenses up to $3000 over 2 years. We hope this will not be a hindrance to participation

4. Education Forum - September 15 7 - 8:30 Temple Beth Shalom

Document Actions