Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2011 Newsletters / July 2011 Newsletter

July 2011 Newsletter

Letter to Friends
Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Seventh Month 2011

Calendar of Events


Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.  First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting.  Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.
The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

Sunday, 7/03      9:00    Ministry and Oversight Committee; 12:30 p.m. Potluck
Sunday, 7/10    10:10    2nd Sunday Discussion
Sunday, 7/17    12:30    Meeting for Worship for Business
Sunday, 7/24    12:30   Adult Education Committee Discussion
Sunday, 7/31     10:00   Meeting for Muffins

The Monthly Query for the 7th month, 2011
(M&O is reviewing the query proposed for 7th month)

 

Announcements


July 6 - People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St.  Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

July 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 - Garden Committee invites you to join us in the garden this and every Saturday at 9:30 for the remainder of the summer. There are lots of gentle tasks for all ages and abilities. Please come one and all join the committee to care for the garden. Thanks!

July 10 - Second Sunday Discussion will be considering the December 2002 FJ article "What is Worship" by Marti Matthews.  Copies of this article will be available by the birdhouse in the library beginning July 3, and it is also available at online at FriendsJournal.com under "featured articles." We will begin promptly at 10:10 and end at 10:50.  Everyone interested is invited to attend!  Friends are also invited to suggest other FJ articles for future discussions. If you have any questions, please call Howard Shulman (984 - 9908) or Pamela Geyer (984 - 0377.)

July 15 - Women's Potluck @ 6:30 Canyon Road garden.  Marcy Pompei will host this women's event and for those who arrive early by 5:00 to 5:30 a gallery listing will be available identifying the Canyon Road gallery openings for this Friday evening.

July 24 - The Adult Education Committee usually holds a discussion after meeting on the 4th Sunday.  This month's topic will be announced in the weekly digest.

July 31 - Meeting for Muffins meets after the rise of the 9:00 meeting at 10:10 am until 10:50 am.

How to Live from the Heart

First, have faith that your heart is big, generous and giving.  It is not a small clenched fist, but a big blooming sunflower.

Second, open your heart.  Stand up straight, throw your head and shoulders back, let the heart open wide, a big sunflower smiling back at the sun.

Third, orient yourself like the sunflower.  Look toward the sun, toward light and warmth and the source of all life.

Fourth, let love and joy radiate from your heart, as the sunflower cheers us with its yellow petals and offers all its hundreds of seeds to the birds.

Finally, relax into silence.  Listen to the strong steadfast thumping, pumping.  Pulses of invisible light from that big sunflower calm and energize all your cells.

Now you are living from the heart.

Mary Ray Cate, June 2011
Inspired by a song taught at IMYM by Niyonu Spann


Members/Attenders are reminded the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting accepts Automatic Contributions for donations; most banks and credit unions now offer a service -- typically free -- which allows you to set up an automatic payment on any frequency you desire. There are two ways you might be able to set up an automatic payment:  1. Your bank or credit union will mail a check to the Meeting at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501; or 2.  Your bank or credit union will transfer the money electronically to the Meeting's account at Guadalupe Credit Union (contact the treasurer for the Meeting's account number and GCU routing number).  More information at http://sf.imym.org/autocontribution

Members are reminded to go to www.fcnl.org for current action information from the Friends Committee on National Legislation.

South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group:  Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey #209 Santa Fe NM 87507 (505) 471-2288. Meeting is held in a rust-red building on the short end of Camino Carlos Rey, northwest of Cerrillos Road.  Worship is every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.

Please send newsletter comments or suggestions to Marcy Pompei @ marcypompei@comcast.net.


Meeting for Worship for Business, Santa Fe Monthly Meeting, 19th day of Sixth Month 2011
 
Present:  Bob Gaines (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk), Kathleen Burke, David Giltrow, Marty Carroll, Greg Cliburn, Ted Pomeroy, Jan-Willem Jansens, Rebecca Henderson, Mary Ray Cate, Shelley Cohen, John Kretzmann, Marcy Pompei, Carolyn Stephenson, Rebecca Cecil, Jonathan Cartland, Njoroge Tho-Bias.

The Meeting started at 12:45 p.m. with silence in the meeting room at 630 Canyon Road. As is the usual practice, Clerk Bob Gaines read from Faith and Practice which was a reminder to be mindful of the decision-making process in the manner of Friends. "Are we prepared to let go of our individual desires and let the Holy Spirit lead us to unity? Do we accept with grace a decision of the meeting with which we are not entirely in agreement?" - IMYM Faith and Practice, Queries, p. 121.

(1.) Minutes. Friends approved the minutes of the Fifth Month as published, with the Young Friends Committee May 7 report to the Fifth Month Meeting appended to these minutes.

(2.) Young Friends. Jan-Willem Jansens reported on the meeting held recently by the Young Friends  School Committee that raised several issues: a proposed play structure in the rear of the Meeting House, as well as projected needs and a budget for an expanded program. See Appendix for the May 7th and June 5th reports of the Committee. Considerations involving a play structure include design, building code and historical preservation guidelines and requirements, color, foundation, safety, insurance, size and location. Feedback and suggestions are encouraged. One idea is to make use of the existing mulberry tree for a tree house.

For 2011:$125 for child care for special meetings;  $125 for a Teen-Friends' program: special events, trips and projects (mostly for gas money for travel) and budget for Marty Carroll and supplies as previously approved

For 2012: The budget for Marty and supplies as for 2011; $250 for child care for special meetings and $250 for a Teen-Friends' program: special events, trips and projects.

Friends approved the $250 expenditure amending this year’s budget to reflect the recognition of the importance of involvement of young people and the ways in which this contributes to the strength of the Meeting.

Friends also approved the formation of an ad hoc Play Committee to be convened by Jan-Willem Jansens to develop a plan for a children’s play structure in the back yard. The committee will consist of a member of the Finance Committee, the Building Committee, the Garden and First Day School Committees.

(3.) IMYM Executive Committee. SFMM has agreed to host the IMYM executive committee in late August when the group meets at Quaker House. Assistance is requested with housing for participants and the preparation of two light meals. Approximately 20 people serve on the IMYM executive committee. Rebecca Henderson and Peggy Giltrow will coordinate the hospitality. Those interested in helping should contact Rebecca.

(4.) Residence Committee. Marty Carroll, on behalf of the Residence Committee, laid out the following proposal for discussion at the business meeting:  “The Resident makes a two-year commitment to the residency, with the option of extension by mutual agreement with the Residence Committee and with the approval of Meeting for Business.  A review after the initial six months will give the Meeting and the Resident opportunity to confirm their compatibility. If circumstances change after the first year, for the Meeting or the Resident, either may give eight months notice to end the agreement.”
 
The Residence Commmittee asked “for flexibility between the Meeting and the Resident with regard to length of term.  The Residence Committee would act as a mediator, but, of course, final decision in any case would rest with Business Meeting.”

The pressing matter reflects a process underway to search for a new resident which elicited considerable discussion about the Meeting’s, as well as a resident’s expectations. The position has changed in recent years and thus, the necessity of more clarity. The committee is searching for a new resident interested in serving the Meeting -- someone who is committed to service (preferably a Quaker), pays considerable attentiveness to detail, has computer skills, a gift for hospitality, and the ability to work well with members of the committee. Former residents and the current resident provided feedback to the committee on these issues.

Some Friends meetings have no limitations on the length of time of service, so the question was raised about whether or not this serves the Meeting today. The policy was developed many years ago when the lack of limitations created a situation where guidelines became necessary. Now these limitations are being reevaluated and the importance stressed of ongoing communication and evaluation carried out by the committee and resident.

Based on the considerable discussion about the importance of clarity on both sides, the committee will return at the July business meeting with specific language to clarify the proposed policy in order to guide the search process and provide a smooth transition to a new resident.

A new resident will begin work on November 1, 2011. Four individuals have expressed interest. Two applicants have sent a letter of interest and a resume. The interviewing process will begin soon.

Friends accepted the report of the Residence Committee.

(5.) Nominating Committee. Marguerite Kearns presented the following names from the Nominating Committee for approval: For the second reading of the nomination for Ministry and Oversight: Njoroge Tho-Bias. Co clerks for Ministry and Oversight: Rebecca Henderson and John Kretzman.

The Nominating Committee is pleased to report that Bob Gaines agreed to continue as Clerk of the Meeting for another year. The committee looks forward to helping attenders and members find ways to participate in the Meeting's committees. Members Wyn Lewis, Beverly Busching, Marguerite Kearns, and Jamie Gagan will continue the process of identifying individuals to fill the remaining positions by the July Meeting for Worship for Business.

Friends approved Njoroge Tho-Bias for Ministry and Oversight, as well as the report of the Nominating Committee and the appointment of individuals in the positions as read. The preference of the Meeting is to rotate individuals with two-year terms, with the recognition that not everyone has a gift or skill for certain positions. Bob Gaines said that he enjoyed being Clerk of the Meeting. The appointments are effective in June at the rise of Meeting.

Clerks, Committees, and Liaisons

Clerk: Bob Gaines
Recording Clerk: Marguerite Kearns
Treasurer: Shelley Cohen
Finance Committee: Marcy Pompei (convener)
Ministry and Oversight: Co-Clerks, John Kretzman, Rebecca Henderson
Archivist: David Giltrow
Ad hoc Future Planning: Bettina Raphael (convener)
Adult Education: Wyn Lewis (convener)
Building: David Giltrow (convener)
Housekeeping: Pamela Geyer (convener)
History: David Giltrow (convener)
Library: Jonathan Ashworth
Newsletter: Marcy Pompei, editor
Nominating: Beverly Busching, Jamie Gagan, Wyn Lewis, and Marguerite Kearns
Peace and Social Concerns: Pam Gilchrist (convener)
Residence: Marty Carroll and Guthrie Miller (co-conveners)
Young Friends: (convener), Marty Carroll (teacher)
Recorder: Philip Balcombe
Worship Group Contacts:
Las Vegas: Curtis Sollohub
Los Alamos: John Kretzmann
South Santa Fe:
Taos (Clearlight): Irene Webb
Garden Committee:

Representatives and Contacts:
IMYM Continuing Committee: Jennifer Wellington
IMYM Nominating Committee: Rebecca Henderson
AFSC Contact: David Henkel

(6.) Ministry & Oversight: Friends accepted the M&O report without the query which the committee will reconsider. See the report in the Appendix with the proposed query. SFMM will continue with the existing query until the Seventh Month: “How do we discern the leading of the Spirit when we are led to speech and action?”

(7.) Treasurer’s Report: Friends accepted the Treasurer’s Report with thanks (see below in the appendix to these minutes).

(8.) Finance Committee: Friends accepted the Finance report (see appendix).  Discussion addressed Lee Carter’s intent for the use of her bequest and the percentage of money to be allocated to the general fund and the Meeting House Fund. The Finance Committee recommended one third for the Meeting House Fund, although Lee was not specific as to the exact percentage and there is no clear indication at the moment whether or not a new Meeting House will be built in the future. Rebecca Henderson and Peggy Giltrow will draft a minute that addresses the issues raised which will be considered at the business meeting in July.

Meeting has a number of restricted funds.  The Finance Committee has written a description of these funds, to become Appendix A of the Finance Procedures Manual, which is posted on Meeting’s web site.  Finance Committee will request approval of Appendix A at the July Meeting for Worship for Business.

Friends agreed to maintain a reserve in the General Fund of 25% of annual budget expenses.

Friends acknowledge and appreciate the tender loving care Peggy Giltrow and Greg Cliburn have contributed as convenor of the Finance Committee and Treasurer which has kept our Meeting vibrant and solvent.

(9.) Building Committee: Friends accepted the report of the Building Committee which highlighted the award received from the Historical Santa Fe Foundation relative to maintaining the historic character of the Meeting House property.

(10.) Envision Santa Fe: We hosted the Envision Santa Fe Steering Committee monthly luncheon in the Meetinghouse garden on June 14. Many thanks to Marcy Pompei for contributing delicious and nutritious salads and bread. The group really enjoyed the garden and fellowship.  Friends accepted the report, which is appended to the minutes.

Announcements: There will be a women’s potluck on Friday, July 15, 2011 in the garden at the Meeting House, 630 Canyon Road.

The meeting for worship for business ended with silence at 3:15 p.m.

Appendix: For the Sixth Month

(1.) Young Friends Committee, May 7, 2011

The following are some informal notes of our parents meeting.

Present were: James and Rebecca Miles, Frances Salles, Marty Caroll, Lucy Boulanger and John Fogerty, Ariel Harrison and Jan-Willem Jansens, Njoroge Tho-Biaz

1.    Strategies for conflict resolution and strengthening the community of parent for the future

o    We decided that we need to move on after what has happened and now look at the future to see how we can prevent conflicts as they may come up again.
o    We concluded that we need to stay better in touch with each other as parents and get to know each other better. We should continue having parents meetings and other events with parents.
o    We concluded that having a parents meeting offers a structure for new parents and others to bring their concerns and to help avoid conflict and manage it when it arises.
o    We decided to make our informal First Day School committee an official Meeting committee to create a more formal structure that can address concerns and deal with feedback from parents. We will rotate representatives to report to Business Meeting, and arrange child care to make it possible for parents to participate in Business Meeting.

2.    First Day School for teens and Njoroge's ideas for older Young Friends' activities

o    We agreed that we want more meaningful activities for teens.
o    Njoroge presented his ideas. Njoroge's had three suggestions:
o    Organize a Teen Interest Program: e.g., the “Different Ways of Being” program. The goal of this program is to promote health and wholeness. The program targets parents, communities, and teens. We could for example do an “Edu-ton” for kids, which could include getting them library cards, organizing choice activities with them, and organizing some kind of party with snacks.
o    A Multi-Generation Project for the Larger Community (Njoroge did not elaborate on this suggestion)
o    Developing a Quarterly Lesson Guide: Such a program could include weekly lessons with Quaker teachings and actions. It could also include that participants come together on-line or in person and stay in touch with each other week to week. Ideally participants write a guide for younger Friends (in conversation with older Quakers); in the context of this program, older Young Friends (teens) could perhaps organize a Quaker camp for teens of all faiths (and non-faiths).
o    We decided that we will try to have a teen gathering at least each first First Day of each month.
o    We decided that, if Njoroge is available, we will have a teen day on June 5th with Njoroge so that he may explain his ideas to them. One suggestion is to present the idea of having the teens organize a Quaker teen camp in NM.

3.    Child care during Meeting events and meetings

o    We decided that we want to have child care by a parent and an elder (at least two people; perhaps in some cases three), two teens and a parent, or a paid child care person. We will decide for each occasion what kind of child care we prefer.
o    We decided to organize child care for Business Meetings and other important meetings or events of Santa Fe Monthly Meeting.
o    JW will make a sign up sheet for Business Meeting in May and for the May 29th event. However, we may want to ask for paid child care for May 29th.

4.    First Day School room clean up

o    We decided to begin with small scale clean ups every week by those who feel called to help.
o    Once or twice per year we will organize a clean up party. The next one we hope to do when the piano has been moved out.

5.    Next Meeting

o    We decided to have our next meeting during the first First Day in June (i.e. June 5th) and probably every first First Day after that, at 9 am.
o    We need to check with other parents what works, because very few parents remained at the end of our meeting.

(2.) YOUNG FRIENDS COMMITTEE, June 5, 2011

Few parents attended: JW Jansens, Ariel Harrison, Marty Carroll, Njoroge Tho-Biaz
Play structure:
more research needed on the conditions that shape our possibilities for a specific design or kind of play structure
Building code: JW to contact Dave Giltrow about Mac Watson’s info about Historical District regs
Liability and insurance: Research to be done on insurance and liability issues: ask Bob Gaines
Location and size: We need to find out where we can place it; what do other Friends think about it.
Suggestions: Look into building a tree house with a ladder, a climbing/swinging rope, and perhaps a swing (liability, structural integrity, who can build it?); look into having a local builder or landscape architect design/build a structure pro bono.

Budget Requests for 2011 and 2012:
2011: Request $125 for Teen Young Friends and $125 for child care
2012: Request $250 for 2012 for Teen Young Friends and $250 for 2012 for child care
This is in addition to current budget needs (e.g. for Marty and supplies)
JW will ask the Finance Committee and present the request in Business Meeting

Next Meeting: July 3rd at 9:00 or 9:30 am (TBD), in the garden

(3.) Proposal of the Resident’s Committee

The Resident makes a two-year commitment to the residency, with the option of extension by mutual agreement with the residence committee and with the approval of Meeting for Business.  A review after the initial six months will give the Meeting and the Resident opportunity to confirm their compatibility. If circumstances change after the first year, for the Meeting or the Resident, either may give eight months notice to end the agreement.
 
We are, with this wording, asking for flexibility between the Meeting and the Resident with regard to length of term.  The Residence Committee would act as a mediator, but, of course, final decision in any case would rest with Business Meeting.

(4.) Ministry and Oversight - Report to Business Meeting - Sixth Month, 2011

M&O met on June 5, 2011 in the First Day School Room. Present were Bob Gaines (ex officio), Pam Gilchrist, Rebecca Henderson, John Kretzmann, Alan Rogers and Ann Beauchamp.
The committee minutes from Fifth Month were approved.
The committee discussed where the Meeting can go from here with the issue of adults in conflict over name-calling in First Day School. Heartfelt and deep sharing occurred in the Meeting for Worship for Listening with Compassion on May 29th regarding this issue and the process seems incomplete. The committee decided to hold another Meeting-wide meeting for listening later this year and is continuing to plan the next steps.
The committee reviewed the status of some of the individuals in the meeting who may be in need of care and support.
The proposed query for Seventh Month is, “How do we separate our preconceptions from events as they occur and how does that influence our response?”

(5.) Treasurer's Report For January 1 to May 31, 2011
Prepared June 11, 2011

    31 May 2011    31 May 2010
General Fund income to date    $14,978    $6,428
Percentage of budgeted income received    54%    26%
General Fund expenses to date    $11,195    $11,312
Percentage of budgeted expenses paid    40%    44%
       
Maintenance Fund income to date    $5,150    $2,680
Percentage of budgeted income received    57%    30%
Maintenance Fund expenses to date    $3,867    $4,586
Percentage of budgeted expenses paid    43%    24%
       
Total cash in bank    $31,719    $23,192
    Checking    $18,501    $6,648
    Money market    $1,435    $3,921
    CDs (3 and 6 month)    $11,682    $11,523
    Share    $101    $101
       
General Fund    $19,451    $5,036
Maintenance Fund    $8,214    $13,603
Olmstead Fund    $162    $162
Sufferings Fund    $1,600    $1,400
Turkle Fund    $383    $583
Adult Education Fund    $242    $600
Young Fund    $200    $120
New Meetinghouse Fund    $1,267    $688
Emergency Assistance    $200    N/A

Notes:  (a) General Fund income to date includes $7,381 from the Lee Carter Estate, ultimately to be divided between General Fund and restricted use (“bricks and mortar”) in the New Meetinghouse Fund.  (b) Budgeted funds transfers were made in May as follows: $200 to the General Fund from the Turkle Fund; $100 from the General Fund to the Emergency Assistance Fund; $100 from the General Fund to the Sufferings Fund.  (c) Maintenance Fund expenses in May included $3,083 for down payment on reroofing the ramada.

(6.) Finance Committee Report to Business Meeting of June 19, 2011
     The Finance Committee met after Meeting for Worship on June 5, 2011. Members Greg Cliburn, Simon DeDeo, Peggy Giltrow and Marcy Pompei were joined by incoming Treasurer Shelley Cohen.  Meeting began with silence. We continued with the discussion and recommendations below.

     Discussion of Lee Carter’s generous bequest to Meeting was postponed from the May Business meeting to the June business meeting. The Finance Committee would like to remind the Meeting that Lee’s basic wishes were clear:  some of the money is to go into the New Meetinghouse Fund (restricted to bricks and mortar). The remainder is to go into the General Fund for use as Meeting sees fit. The question is not how to spend the money, but what percentage to put into each of the two funds. Finance Committee recommends that 1/3 go to the New Meetinghouse Fund and 2/3 into the General Fund. Any funds from Lee’s bequest put into the New Meetinghouse Fund will be tied up until building begins.

     The Treasurer has spoken with Bettina Raphael about the possible cost of an appraisal of the Olive Rush collection. Finance and Building committees will continue to work together to find out probable appraisal costs. No rider can be put onto the insurance policy until an appraisal is done. Once the cost of an appraisal is determined, Meeting will need to decide whether to fund appraisal and rider.

      Business Meeting of Feb. 20, 2011, asked the Finance Committee to propose what would constitute a "prudent reserve" for the meeting in General and Maintenance funds.

The Building Committee, for a number of years, has told us that a prudent reserve for the Maintenance Fund is a minimum of $5,000. When the amount in the fund drops below $5,000, the committee is careful to build the fund back up before proposing any pricey but postponeable projects. Money in the Maintenance Fund mostly comes from use of the Meetinghouse and guest apartment, unless an individual designates money specifically for the Maintenance Fund.

The question of a prudent reserve for the General Fund is more complex.  The reserve should reflect the minimum we’re comfortable having in the bank to pay our expenses just in case.  Financial advisers to nonprofits often suggest thinking of this as a fraction (or multiple) of annual budgeted expenses.  Practices vary widely, but it is common to maintain a reserve adequate to cover 3 to 6 months’ expenses, or 25% to 50% of the annual budget.  Finance Committee recommends that we maintain a 3-month (25%) reserve. Our budgeted expenses for 2011 are about $28,000, so this would mean a reserve of $7,000. This seems reasonable, given that we currently have about $19,000 in the general fund.

Money in the restricted funds (Adult Education, Emergency Assistance, New Meetinghouse, Olmstead, Sufferings, Turkle, and Young Funds) is not available to meet General Fund and Maintenance Fund expenses, except through budgeted transfers. 

     Finance Committee would like to remind Meeting that the annual budget for the General Fund reflects what we, as a community, value.  Meeting decides how much to spend on Good Works, and looks carefully at necessary expenses like First Day School, utilities, and insurance.

     People give as they can give. All of us have lean years as well as good years. A few large generous donations make the checking account look good and give Meeting a comfortable cushion, but are not necessarily something we can count on year after year. It is up to all of us to recognize our commitment together and sustain our giving with steady, responsible donations over time.

     Meeting has a number of restricted funds.  The Finance Committee has written a description of these funds, to become Appendix A of the Finance Procedures Manual.  You can view the draft on Meeting’s  web site. Finance Committee will request approval of Appendix A at the July Meeting for Worship for Business.
                Respectfully submitted, Peggy Giltrow, Convener, Finance Committee

(7.) Envision Santa Fe Report
We hosted the Envision Santa Fe Steering Committee monthly luncheon in the Meetinghouse garden on June 14. Many thanks to Marcy Pompei for contributing delicious and nutritious salads and bread. The group really enjoyed the garden and fellowship.

Families Update: Our family at Sage Apartments is struggling to keep on budget but continue to work with their mentors. We were disappointed to hear that none of the children wee attending summer school.  The family has asked fr some additional items and it has prompted us to create a list of what we will be providing each family in the future to indicate the gifts are not on going.

St. John's family who were referred to St. Elizabeth's has no case management at the moment due to their low staffing but are on the wait list at Sage. TBS will see if the social worker there is able to help in this area.

Young single mom is doing well and pursuing several options for employment. Her baby is due in August.

Moving Forward: Zia and Unitarian may partner for our next family as well as St. Bede's. TBS shared that a family of 3 youth 17-23 at their Temple have become orphaned and asked if Envision Santa Fe could support them with individuals mentors We agreed to this.

Planning is on going for the public education component to be presented in September.

Respectfully submitted.
Kathleen Burke

Document Actions