Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2011 Newsletters / January 2011 Newsletter

January 2011 Newsletter

Letter to Friends


Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

First Month 2011

Calendar of Events

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.  First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting.  Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

Sunday, 1/02      9:15 am M&O Committee; 12:30 p.m. Potluck and discussion of IMYM queries
Sunday, 1/09    10:10 am 2nd Sunday Discussion
Sunday, 1/16    12:30 pm Meeting for Worship for Business
Sunday, 1/22
Sunday, 1/30      10:10 am Meeting for Muffins

The Monthly Query for the 1st month, 2011

“How do we open ourselves to the range of rich heritages and spiritual insights that diversity presents?”
  (Adapted from IMYM Faith and Practice queries on Mutual Care, page 125)


Jan. 5  – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St.  Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

Jan 8 – The Second Sunday Journal Discussion will be a consideration of Taber's "The Fourth Door to Meeting for Worship -- The Door Beyond."  We will begin promptly at 10:10 and end at 10:50.  A copy of this article along with copies of "The Gathered Meeting" materials can be found next to the bird house in the library.  Everyone is invited to attend!  For questions, please call Pamela Geyer (984 -0377) or Howard Shulman (984 - 9908.)  Friends are heartily encouraged to contribute Friends Journal articles they find meaningful for consideration in future discussions. If you have any questions, please call Pamela Geyer (984 -0377) or Howard Shulman (984 - 9908).

Jan 23 - Adult Education Discussion Journal of John Woolman and Pendle Hill Pamphlet #96.  Continuation of our discussion begun 11th Month of 2010, with the same readings. Links to the documents are found on the Meeting website ( under the "Quaker Enrichment" link.

February 10 - The next Envision Santa Fe training has been set for 6-8:30 pm at Christ Lutheran Church.  Envision Santa Fe is a community program to address homelessness.  A training for mentors and resource people was held at Christ Lutheran on December 7th to further explore Understanding Poverty and cultural hidden rules.  It was announced that Ruby Payne, who's work this training is based upon, will be doing a one day workshop on January 3, 2011 at Buffalo Thunder Resort.  It will be from 8 - 3 pm, costing $50.00. I plan on going if anyone is interested in carpooling.

We still only have one family who has found housing and two more places needed. We are exploring private housing through friends, realtors and banks. If you know anyone with a place for rent or needs care taking please let me know. It may be possible to give a tax write off for discounted rent.  A website is being developed so Envision Santa Fe people can communicate more efficiently regarding progress and needs.  Continue to look for postings as to needs of our families as they arise.  Kathleen Burke

Members/Attenders are reminded the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting accepts Automatic Contributions for donation; most banks and credit unions now offer a service -- typically free -- which allows you to set up an automatic payment on any frequency you desire.  There are two ways you might be able to set up an automatic payment:  1.  Your bank or credit union will mail a check to the Meeting at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501; or 2.  Your bank or credit union will transfer the money electronically to the Meeting's account at Guadalupe Credit Union (contact the treasurer for the Meeting's account number and GCU routing number).  More information at

Members are reminded to go to for current action information from the Friends Committee on National Legislation.

South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group:  Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey #209 Santa Fe NM 87507 (505) 471-2288. Meeting is held in a rust-red building on the short end of Camino Carlos Rey, northwest of Cerrillos Road.  Worship is every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.

Please send newsletter comments or suggestions to Marcy Pompei @

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, Meeting for Worship for Business, 19th day of the Twelfth Month 2010

Present: Bob Gaines (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk), Beverly Busching, Peggy Giltrow, Marcy Pompei, Rebecca Henderson, Alan Rogers, David Henkel, Ted Pomeroy, Pam Gilchrist, Michael Simon, Irene Webb, Helen Corneli, John Kretzmann, Kathleen Burke, Mary Ray Cate, Martha Davis.

The Meeting for Worship for Business began at 12:43 p.m. with silence in the meeting room at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Bob Gaines read the following advice from Faith and Practice for Friends to consider: "A deep and seeking silence can help reconcile seemingly opposing points of view. Be willing to wait upon God as long as may be necessary. By holding division and disruption in the Light, meetings may shift toward stronger and more creative solutions." - IMYM Faith and Practice, Advices, p. 120.

(1.) Minutes for the Eleventh Month 2010: The minutes for the Eleventh Month were accepted and approved by Friends with the following changes: Pam Geyer, not Pam Gilchrist, volunteered to move along the Christmas Eve events preparation. The Clerk, not the Meeting, asked the Good Works Committee to investigate the success in fund raising this year of the organizations for Broader Quaker Concerns.
(2.) Treasurer’s Report: Friends accepted the Treasurer’s Report as presented by Peggy Giltrow who filled in for treasurer Greg Cliburn. The report had been updated to December 14th, rather than to the end of November in order to present the most up-to-date information. The good news reflects the ability of SFMM to meet current financial obligations. SFMM also received several large donations which reflect the feeling of the Meeting to do more and give more. Donations such as these can’t be counted on in the future. A total of 93 percent of budgeted expenses have been paid by mid-month in December. The budget also reflects increased expenses for First Day School.

The procedures to set up automatic deductions from one’s bank account for donations are included in the Appendix to these Minutes.

(3.) Good Works: Friends agreed to the Good Works budget as proposed.  Alan Rogers presented a letter from the committee which addressed the process and issues involved in drafting the Good Works budget. Friends accepted the Good Works report with profound appreciation of the hard work of the committee and agreed that the January business meeting would continue to reflect on the broader concerns, and in particular: guidelines for “as needs arise”; other requests; and scheduling a threshing session on the priorities and guidelines of giving.   See the Appendix for the full report.

The Good Works budget reflects a modest increase, 12.5 percent, from last year. The issue of “parity” -- that of spending the same amount on others as we spend on ourselves -- is an ongoing concern and will be revisited. The Good Works Committee needs guidance from the Meeting, and committee members recommend a threshing session in the near future. Another concern is whether direct appeals made by members and attenders for donations to specific causes may undermine contributions to support the Meeting's budget.

An understanding of what it means to address “basic human needs” needs clarification, as well as a way of viewing other needs, such as community groups working to address nuclear war, environmental issues and so on. Past guidelines about community giving were considered at business meeting, in addition to concerns that Friends' testimonies should be more reflected in Good Works. The annual Meeting budget, when divided among the members, comes out to about $300 per member.  The Good Works Committee and Adult Education Committee will confer to work out a date to continue the discussion of priorities and guidelines.

(3.) Finance Committee: Friends agreed to the operating budget for 2011 with the expected donations changed to equal the expected expenditures. Although SFMM took in more money in 2010 than had been projected, the discussion focused on how to balance expenditures and income.  Is cost cutting the answer? Friends agreed that we should ask for what SFMM needs in donations in order to carry out our intentions.

Marcy Pompei asked that her comments be included in the Minutes relative to the prospect of boosting the budget significantly by planning for fundraising that takes advantage of the assets in the community. Can we do something powerful to bring in $10,000? Something that gets the message out and reflects who we are?

(4.) Building Committee: Friends accepted the report from the Building Committee, which is included in the Appendix to these Minutes, with the understanding that the cost of anticipated roof repairs may consume the proposed $6,000 emergency reserve. It includes maintenance updates, a report of water usage, and maintenance costs.

(5.) Adult Education Report: Friends accepted the report from the Adult Education Committee which is included in the Appendix to these Minutes.

(6.) Ministry and Oversight: John Kretzmann presented the report for M&O which Friends accepted, and the full report in included in the Appendix to these Minutes. The query for the first month of 2011 is:  “How do we open ourselves to the range of rich heritages and spiritual insights that diversity presents?” (Adapted from IMYM Faith and Practice queries on Mutual Care, page 125)

(7.) Nominating Committee: There was a second reading of the three people who will serve on the Nominating Committee: Wyn Lewis, Jamie Gagan, Marguerite Kearns. Beverly Busching agreed to carry over from the previous Nominating Committee. No decision has yet been made about a convenor.

(8.) Earthcare: Concerns about the environment and the new state administration led to discussion about the organization, Conservation Voters, speaking at SFMM progran in January. Arrangements are being made. Friends approved the scheduling.

(9.) Peace and Social Concerns:  Pam Gilchrist gave a report on the social issues under consideration by committee members David Henkel, Beverly Busching, Alan Rogers, Lorraine Graham, Ann Anthony and Njoroge Tho-Biaz. They hold a monthly meeting the second First Day at the rise of Meeting.

(10.) Resident’s Report: Friends accepted the resident’s report which detailed 45 hours during November worked by the resident. The guest apartment brought in $200 in November. Only four of 30 days were occupied. The guest apartment income for October was $1,050, representing occupancy 28 out of 31 days.

Announcements: The Friends Greeter List is posted in the kitchen. On January 23rd, the discussion group is Pendle Hill Pamphlet #96 and John Woolman’s Journal. On January 9, the Second Sunday Discussion will be a consideration of Taber's "The Fourth Door to Meeting for Worship -- The Door Beyond."  The session begins promptly at 10:10 and ends at 10:50.  A copy of this article along with copies of "The Gathered Meeting" materials can be found next to the bird house in the library.  Everyone is invited to attend!  For questions, please call Pamela Geyer (984 -0377) or Howard Shulman (984 - 9908.)  Friends are heartily encouraged to contribute Friends Journal articles they find meaningful for consideration in future discussions.

The next training for Imagine Santa Fe is on February 10, 2011, 6-8:30 p.m. Housing for two families is still needed. A web site is being developed to facilitate communication. Contact Kathleen Burke for more information.
The meeting for worship for business ended in silence at 2:35 p.m.


(1.) Treasurer’s Report

SFMM 2011 Operating Budget
Operating Income
Donations and Other Income $27,616
Transfer from AE Fund* $250
Transfer from Turkle Fund** $200
Transfer from Olmstead Fund*** $100
Transfer from New Meetinghouse Fund**** $0
Total Operating Income $28,166

Operating Expenses
Transfer to Emergency Assistance Fund $100
Transfer to Sufferings Fund $100
FDS staff $3,796
FDS supplies $500
Young Adult Friends $0
*Adult Education $750
Subscriptions for library $100
**Library books $200
Communications $250
***Conscientious Objection $100
Earthcare $25
Finance $100
Garden $750
History $25
M&O $100
Peace & Social Concerns $100
****Future Planning $500
Cleaning $1,020
Insurance $2,600
MH supplies $800
Utilities $4,500
Advertising $450
IMYM travel $50
Miscellaneous $100
Subtotal $17,016
Good Works $11,150
Total Expenses $28,166

SFMM 2011 Operating Budget: Good Works Detail
IMYM Assessment $3,185
Our Own Community
Emergencies $350
Scholarships $1,500
Sufferings $100
Subtotal $1,950
Broader Quaker Concerns
AFSC $800
Alternatives to Violence Project $400
FCNL $800
FWCC $150
Friends Journal $100
Friends Peace Teams $300
Pendle Hill $100
QEW $150
QUNO $100
RSWR $100
Subtotal $3,000
Local Community Needs
As Needs Arise $540
Adelante - SF Public Schools $125
Bienvenidos Outreach $125
Community Farm $125
Esperanza $175
Faith at Work $225
Food Depot $175
Interfaith Community Shelter Group $225
Interfaith Leadership Alliance $125
La Familia $75
New Mexico Repeal the Death Penalty $0
Open Hands $225
St. Elizabeth Shelter $225
Santa Fe Rape Crisis Center $125
Somos Un Pueblo Unido $225
Villa Therese Clinic $175
Youth Shelter $125
Subtotal $3,015
Total Good Works $11,150

Automatic Contributions to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting

Most banks and credit unions now offer a service -- typically free -- which allows you to set up an automatic payment on any frequency you desire.  There are two ways you might be able to set up an automatic payment:

*Your bank or credit union will mail a check to the Meeting at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501; or

*Your bank or credit union will transfer the money electronically to the Meeting's account at Guadalupe Credit Union (contact the treasurer for the Meeting's account number and GCU routing number).

More information at

(2.) Report from the Good Works Committee

Good Works Committee Letter to 12th Month Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business regarding Good Works Budget for 2011.

Following 11th Month Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business, the Good Works Committee met 3 times. We solicited input from members and attenders regarding proposed additions to the organizations that we donate to as well as clarification for proposed changes in allocations that we had initially brought forward. We were convinced of the rationale for making equal our contributions to FCNL and AFSC and have changed the proposed Budget to reflect this.

We also solicited information from the organizations that we refer to as Broader Quaker concerns as some among Meeting felt that perhaps they were doing better in these difficult financial times than local organizations. We did not find this to be the case. All organizations report being hard hit by the times and have had to cut staff and programs. We have not changed our recommendation to Business Meeting regarding the allocation of monies to Broader Quaker concerns vs. Local Needs, but we do feel that this is a topic that Meeting should address for clarification of the desires of Meeting and direction to the Good Works Committee.

We ask Meeting for approval of a process to govern the “As Needs Arise” category (below), and seek Meeting’s guidance regarding the way in which requests that fall outside our current categories should be treated.

As Needs Arise
With the intent to retain some flexibility in Meeting's giving in 2011, we propose that Meeting put $540 in the “As Needs Arise" category. If Members and Attenders wish Meeting to donate to other causes during the coming year, we hope they will communicate this desire to the Good Works Committee. Or, it may be that one of our committees will identify a need that we have not addressed. We also invite Members and Attenders who participate in the worship groups under the care of the SFFM to request support for organizations in their local communities. We ask that any request to “As Needs Arise” be made to the Good Works Committee in writing; please, provide a sense of the import of giving now to this cause. As we haven’t much money in this fund, we hope individuals will bring to us matters of some urgency or importance to our Quaker community. (Meeting will explore our Good Works allocations more fully again during the year and it may be that some ideas should be tabled for that consideration). In order not to deplete the fund quickly and to make these monies available to requests by as many as reasonable we suggest that requests not exceed $125 and that any one individual consider deeply before making more than one request to the As Needs Arise fund. The Good Works committee recommends limiting disbursements from that fund to $125 per quarter so that sufficient money remains in account for unanticipated needs during the entire course of the year. Only if the Good Works committee does not reach unity about a request will we bring the request to Business Meeting. If toward year's end, the money has not been spoken for, we will distribute the remaining funds amongst the Local Community Needs, with the exception of the Interfaith Leadership Alliance to which we give fixed dues.

The Good Works Budget
Our proposal for the Good Works Budget does represent a modest increase from last year’s Good Works Budget, which was cut from the year prior due to a drop in donations to Meeting from members and attenders. This was done to be financially prudent and to insure that we didn’t spend money that we didn’t have. We have heard from Friends on both sides of this issue: Those that have counseled caution as well as those that have urged that we set a more ambitious Good Works budget feeling that we can rise to meet the challenge such a budget would ask of us. We wrestled with the concept of parity that has been previously discussed at Business Meeting and offered as the model for Good Works budgets: that we spend as much on others as we spend on ourselves in Meeting. We recommend a modest increase in the Budget this year, but feel this ought to be fully discussed at Business Meeting. At some point we feel the concept of parity ought to be reexamined. Is this what Meeting truly wants and are we as individuals and as a Meeting capable of carrying this out?

Meeting’s Guidance
Examples of requests that need Meeting’s guidance are two falling outside the existing categories that address basic human needs, and another that proposes to respond to human need but comes to us with insufficient supporting information. Unless Friends intend to reduce the proposed levels of contribution to other causes, the only place we can find money for these concerns is from the “As Needs Arise” category. The Good Works committee would be willing to consider these as requests for “As Needs Arise”, but we believe this should follow the good order that would come from a reconsideration of the purposes of our contributions and a decision by Meeting about appropriate guidelines to carry out our intentions in a clear and fair manner. In that regard, we propose Meeting reach these decisions following a threshing session called for this purpose.

Proposed Threshing Session
There are several issues about giving that we think Meeting needs to revisit this year and we propose a Threshing Session for 22 May because the three Good Works committee members will all be in town on that date.
1. We have observed a dynamic tension in how people ask for – and raise donations - between the process of Good Works and the spontaneous giving/pleas for other causes that may or may not fall under basic human needs. What is the relationship between the Good Works budget and other requests that emerge during the year? And, is it fair if spontaneous requests draw contributions away from those Meeting identifies under Good Works?
2. Good Works has inherited a commitment that our local giving be directed to organizations that primarily serve basic human needs. Should this be expanded?
3. Our historical commitment to “parity” as a model for generosity. What is our intention?
4. Currently, we fund Broader Quaker concerns and local community organizations at similar levels. Is this what we intend?
5. Other Friends may identify other concerns [and we encourage them to bring these forward].

This budget reflects our commitment to Good Works as a Meeting. We want to acknowledge that many among us are doing Good Works in and outside of Santa Fe Friends Meeting.

Respectfully submitted,

Rebecca Allahyari, David Henkel and Alan Rogers

(3.) Building Committee Report

ACTIVITIES. During November and into December, various small projects have been undertaken to address a variety of issues. These included improving drainage along the west bricked walkway, sealing a gap between ceiling and wall in the garage where there had been adobe dirt dropping, sealing potential and real leaking in the ramada and meetinghouse roofs, adding security bars and a Plexiglas addition to the rest room window bay which allows greater ventilation during warm weather and decreased heat loss in the winter.  The portal floor was treated with a sealant and work has begun on restoration of part of the floor which was artistically decorated by Olive Rush with selected pebble. In the guest apartment, the electric water heater switch was replaced-noteworthy because it required a special order since it lights up when the heater is turned on with 220 volts. The above work was done by craftsmen Ross Pope and Steve Shank, a roofing company (recent leak in the ramada roof from the snowfall), and members of the committee.

Fine tuning of the thermostat control of the new electric baseboard units continues.  From monitoring high monthly water consumption rates, it appears that a suspected leak in the water system was not the cause, but rather the need to monitor the newly installed drip irrigation system with possible modifications in the next watering system in cooperation with the garden committee.

FUTURE PROJECTS. While doing roof fabric sealing, we identified some areas where stucco repair is necessary. Work continues on the portal floor. Weather protection for the main outdoor fresco is planned with a Plexiglas sheet already purchased.

2011 BUDGET. The following are rough estimates of budget needs for the committee in 2011:

    General maintenance:        $1,500.
    Misc. restoration:        $500.
    New, specific project(s):    $1,000.
    Emergency reserve:        $6,000.

        Total for 2011:    $9,000.

This reflects income levels for the maintenance fund over the past several years.

    Respectfully submitted, David Giltrow, convener

(4.) Adult Education Report

Adult Education Committee Report for Meeting for Business 19th of 12th Month

1- No name change for the committee, yet.
2- No reading list change for the January Woolman- we preserve the Journal and PHP # 96 as in November.
3- Reuben to lead discussion on George Fox Journal in 2nd Month, Pam Gilchrist to lead discussion on Lucretia Mott in 3rd Month, 2011.
4- Ted will speak to Njoroge about the Elders' journeys. We will want more suggestions, But we did not have time to discuss how we should arrange the sharing sessions.
5- Other notable Quakers and writings have been suggested for future sessions of the reading discussions.
Submitted by Ted Pomeroy, for the Committee.

(5.) Ministry and Oversight

M&O met in the first day room on first first day, 12/05/2010, at 9:15 A.M. Attending were Joan Spencer , Alan Rogers, Pam Gilchrist, Rebecca Henderson, Bob Gaines (ex officio), and John Kretzmann.

Jean Malcomb died in mid-November. She was a resident of El Castillo and a member of San Diego Friends Meeting. The M&O committee is planning to prepare a memorial minute for IMYM, Friends Journal and Western Friend.

The committee reviewed the status of individuals in the meeting who are or may be in need of care and support and made plans for contact.

The committee recommends the following query for First Month, 2011: “How do we open ourselves to the range of rich heritages and spiritual insights that diversity presents?” (Adapted from IMYM Faith and Practice queries on Mutual Care, page 125)

The committee reviewed the known status of worship groups under its care. A message from an attender of the nine o'clock meeting reports that “Nine o'clock worshippers have nothing earthshaking to report. That said, we are pleased with Ted Pomeroy's request for membership, and we are pleased with the ongoing opportunity for discussion of Quaker spirituality at the second-Sunday 10:00 discussions.”

The committee hosted a discussion group at potluck Sunday on 12/5/10 titled “Caring for One Another,” convened by Alan Rogers.

IMYM Fall Queries will be discussed at the January potluck on 1/2/2011, convened by Bob Gaines and Rebecca Henderson. The full queries can be found at Briefly stated they are:

1. Should IMYM create a directory of individuals, and how should it be used?
2. Would your Meeting favor starting Yearly Meeting on Tuesday instead of Wednesday, so that Yearly Meeting gains an extra day?
3. What can IMYM do for monthly meetings? How could there be more back and forth between IMYM and monthly meetings?

Document Actions