Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2011 Newsletters / December 2011 Newsletter

December 2011 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

 

Twelfth Month 2011

 

Calendar of Events


Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.
The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

Sunday, 12/04 12:30 Potluck; Ministry and Oversight Committee 1:30 p.m.
Sunday, 12/11 10:10 2nd Sunday Discussion
Sunday, 12/18 12:30 Meeting for Worship for Business
Sunday, 12/25 12:30 No Adult Education Committee Discussion

The Monthly Query for the 12th month, 2011

 

“Do I wait in great expectancy for the Spirit to speak – through me or through another? Examples?”

from Worship Section of Advices and Queries, IMYM Faith and Practice, p. 118


Announcements


Dec. 4 – Monthly Potluck will take place at the rise of the 11:00 am meeting. A discussion will take place in the living room during the potluck concerning the structure of the IMYM committees. All are invited to attend.

Discussion Topic for First Sunday, also known as potluck Sunday: In November, at the discussion of the Intermountain Yearly Meeting Stewardship Proposals, we didn’t have time to consider the Proposals for Changing the Structure of IMYM Committees. So this will happen in December. Jennifer Wellington, our Continuing Committee Representative will guide the discussion. Rebecca Henderson, who is on the committee that drafted the proposal, will be on hand to answer questions.

Briefly, Continuing Committee would change to become a Representatives Meeting, for more input to IMYM from the local Meetings, and it could make decisions between yearly meeting sessions if there were an emergency. The current Executive Committee would be changed to the Arrangements Committee which would be responsible for the Annual Gathering at Ghost Ranch. More work would be done in small subcommittees via conference calls and email. A Clerk’s Advisory Committee would be formed. We seek better ways to coordinate information and projects among the Meetings by forming some new committees.

We need people to read the summary of the proposal and give their opinions. We very much need people to read the whole 16 page proposal to find if there are things we left out or things that need to change. Santa Fe Meeting will give their input, along with other Meetings, at the January and June Continuing Committee meetings, and the issue will come to the floor of yearly meeting this coming June.

For details, go to imym.org. and look for the folder, “Fall Queries Materials.” Or summaries are at http://sf.imym.org/meetingnews/imymproposals. If you have questions or for more discussion, call Rebecca Henderson, 505-470-7306.

Dec. 7 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

Dec. 11 – The Second Sunday Discussion will consider the poem "Meeting For Worship With Attention to Music" by Janeal Turnbull Ravndal, published in the Sept. 2011 FJ. Copies of this poem are available next to the birdhouse in the library. Everyone is invited to attend! We begin at 10:10 and close at 10:50. Friends are also invited to suggest other FJ articles for future discussions. If you have any questions, please call Howard Shulman (984 - 9908) or Pamela Geyer (984 - 0377).

Dec. 11 – Peace & Social Concerns Committee will meet at the rise of meeting.

Dec. 18 – Meeting for Worship for Business will meet at the rise of the meeting. We will consider the proposed budget and Good Works donations for 2012: http://sf.imym.org/financelist/proposed2012budget

Dec. 18 - 10:10 am: Decorating the meeting room and library with greenery. Anyone who can bring some non-juniper evergreen branches will be much appreciated. 12:15 pm: Assembling farolitos under the portal, Please join Marcy Pompei to fill bags with sand and candles to prepare for the annual Christmas Eve celebration on Canyon Rd.

Dec. 24 - 4:30 Volunteers needed to set out and light farolitos and build and tend bonfire.
5:30 pm - 6:15 pm: Silent candlelight meeting for worship followed by light supper. Volunteers needed to bring tamales, raw vegetable trays, hot cider, & cookies. If you can help with any of the above please call Mary Ray at 989-1630.

Dec. 25 - The Adult Education Committee usually holds a discussion after meeting on the 4th Sunday but will not do so this month as it is Christmas Day.

Members/Attenders are reminded the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting accepts Automatic Contributions for donation; most banks and credit unions now offer a service -- typically free -- which allows you to set up an automatic payment on any frequency you desire.  There are two ways you might be able to set up an automatic payment: 1. Your bank or credit union will mail a check to the Meeting at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501; or 2. Your bank or credit union will transfer the money electronically to the Meeting's account at Guadalupe Credit Union (contact the treasurer for the Meeting's account number and GCU routing number). More information at http://sf.imym.org/autocontribution

Members are reminded to go to www.fcnl.org for current action information from the Friends Committee on National Legislation.

South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group: Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey #209 Santa Fe NM 87507 (505) 471-2288. Meeting is held in a rust-red building on the short end of Camino Carlos Rey, northwest of Cerrillos Road. Worship is every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.

Please send newsletter comments or suggestions to Marcy Pompei @ marcypompei@comcast.net.

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends. Eleventh Month, 20th day, 2011. 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM.

 


Present: Bob Gaines (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk), John Kretzmann, Pam Gilchrist, Rebecca Henderson, Pamela Geyer, Mary Ray Cate, Beverly Busching, Shelley Cohen, Marcy Pompei, Ariel Harrison, Marty Carroll, Ted Pomeroy.

 

A deep and seeking silence can help reconcile seemingly opposing points of view. Be willing to wait upon God as long as may be necessary. By holding division and disruption in the Light, meetings may shift toward stronger and more creative solutions.” - IMYM Faith and Practice, Advices, p. 120.

 

The meeting for worship for business began at 12:37 p.m. with silence.

 

(1.) Friends accepted and approved the Minutes of the tenth month. It was noted that only two hard copies of the newsletter are distributed by way of the USPS. The rest are sent via email.

 

(2.) Traveling Minute: The traveling minute prepared for Rebecca Henderson by SFMM for her trip to Colorado Regional Meeting was signed by the clerk of Regional Meeting and returned to SFMM. This represents more formal attention to the intervisitation between Meetings and the acknowledgment of Rebecca Henderson’s contribution to the spiritual life of Friends through her keynote presentation of “Living peaceably with our neighbors and loved ones” at the regional gathering of Colorado Friends in Estes Park on October 21-23, 2011. Arrangements were made through Friends General Conference Traveling Ministries Program for Nancy Rice of Albuquerque Meeting to be Rebecca's companion in the ministry. Copies of the text of Rebecca Henderson’s keynote and workshop notes are available on request from her at: rebeccahenderson4@hotmail.com. Sharing this valuable and relevant subject matter with Friends from SFMM is under consideration.

 

(3.) First Day School/Parents’ Committee: Friends accepted this report with “gratitude” which is included in the Appendix to these minutes. Discussion centered on the monthly parents’ committee report; the responsibilities of young Friends during the holiday celebration on Christmas eve; improved programming for older young Friends; the importance of passing on Quaker values to the next generation; alternate plans for decorating the Meeting House and participating in the Canyon Road Christmas eve farolito walk.

 

First Day School teacher Marty Carroll highlighted the weekly First Day School study for young Friends and the added expectations that include the preparation of farolitos during the holiday celebration on Canyon Road Christmas eve. Four young Friends of teen age do not have a separate program, although they participate in some general Meeting activities and IMYM. More attention will be given to this concern.

 

The decision to move the farolito preparation from First Day School to the Meeting included offers of help from Beverly Busching, Marcy Pompei, and Mary Ray Cate. A 5:30 p.m. worship on Christmas Eve was suggested. Mary Ray Cate will work out the details of the farolito preparation and associated considerations and, if necessary, return to Meeting with recommendations.

 

(4.) Resident’s Report: Friends accepted the report from resident Ted Pomeroy who summarized the work associated with Kathleen Burke’s leaving and his assumption of the duties of resident. See the Appendix to these minutes for the full report on hours and income from the guest apartment. An addendum to the report noted Ted’s sensitivity to natural gas in the casita and his wish to be released from the resident’s responsibilities because of this. Ted will continue until a replacement is found. The convenor for the resident’s committee, Marty Carroll, said that the committee will meet soon to consider prior applicants for the position and that input from Friends is welcome on the next phase of the process. A new home for Sasha, the resident cat, is under consideration; recommendations and offers of a new home for Sasha are welcome. Friends expressed appreciation to Ted for his hard work.

 

(5.) Treasurer’s Report: Friends accepted the treasurer’s report with thanks. Treasurer Shelley Cohen presented the third-quarter report on the Meeting’s financial situation. Shelley explained that reconciliation of the books remains a challenge and that she plans to meet with former treasurer Greg Cliburn and clerk Bob Gaines to straighten out uncertainties, especially as this relates to the maintenance fund. To pay the final half of the budgeted Good Works donations, Friends approved a transfer of $3,000 from the Money Market account. The treasurer raised the question for the Good Works Committee of whether or not it makes sense to modify the amount allocated for Good Works or to budget differently. Additional time is necessary to straighten out the inconsistencies in the financial records relative to the Maintenance Fund. The financial reports will be posted on the web, as well as in the Appendix to these minutes.

 

(6.) Finance Committee: Friends accepted the proposed budget and finance report presented by Marcy Pompei with thanks; the documents are included in the Appendix to these minutes. Approval of the budget will be considered at the twelfth month business meeting. Highlights of the attached report include a proposed increase in insurance for art works, the distribution of funds from Lee Carter's bequest, an annual audit to begin at the end of January 2012, and consideration of asset management issues so that recommendations can be made in the spring of 2012. The draft budget report includes the budget for 2011, the 2012 budget request, and the difference between the two. Donations and the various assessments remain at approximately the same level as last year. No report was available from the Good Works Committee, which is presently chaired by David Henkel. If there are any concerns or questions about the proposed budget, please contact Marcy Pompei.

 

(7.) Ministry and Oversight: Friends accepted the report of M&O read by Rebecca Henderson with thanks which included a request of a name change to Ministry and Counsel. Friends approved the name change. The proposal was intended to have the new name more fully address the work of the committee. The query for the twelfth month is as follows: Continuing in the Worship Section of IMYM Advices and Queries, “Do I wait in great expectancy for the Spirit to speak - through me or through another? Examples?” The M&O report is included in the Appendix to these minutes and includes a checkin with 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. meetings for worship, IMYM proposed changes in stewardship and structure, meeting for worship closings, Rebecca Henderson’s presentation to Colorado Regional, care of individuals in the meeting, the M&O proposed name change, and visitation dates for worship groups.

 

(8.) Peace and Social Concerns: Friends agreed to sponsor an interfaith meeting for worship at Occupy Santa Fe on December 11, 2011 at 1:30 p.m. Friends also endorsed joining with the effort coordinated by the Interfaith Worker Justice to approach the state attorney general about wage theft issues in Santa Fe. Friends accepted the report of Peace and Social Concerns read by Pam Gilchrist that is included in the Appendix to these minutes which highlights strengthening our witness at IMYM regarding environmental concerns, ways to support Occupy Santa Fe, and continued work on ongoing issues. Peace and Social Concerns also circulated a FCNL leaflet entitled “Our Nation’s Checkbook: What New Mexico is not getting for its money” and an information paper about nuclear waste.

 

(9.) Announcements:

 

Pam Geyer reminded Friends that those using the meeting house after worship on First Days should check with housekeeping in order to arrange the building’s closure.

 

The second Sunday discussion in December will be announced in the Digest.

 

Our hats on and off to Guthrie Miller who is feeding Occupy Santa Fe.

 

The eleventh month Meeting for Worship for Business ended at 2:20 p.m. with silence.

 

______________________________________________

 

 

APPENDIX TO THE MINUTES

FOR THE ELEVENTH MONTH:

 

(1.) First Day School Committee report

(2.) Resident’s report

(3.) Treasurer’s report

(4.) Finance Committee report and proposed budget

(5.) Ministry and Oversight

(6.) Peace and Social Concerns

___________________

 

 

(1.) First Day School/Parents Committee Meeting 11/6/2011

 

Committee Meeting Minutes

PRESENT: Rebecca Allahyari, Rebecca Miles, Ariel Harrison, Jan-Willem Jansens, Marty Carroll, Anna Dara

 

AGENDA:

1. Teens; What Meeting can offer; Service projects?

2. Survey

3. Play structure

4. Needs/ supplies

 

TEEN PROGRAM:

We decided to focus on what teens need rather than on talking about Service projects at this time. It was observed that teens miss other teens with Quaker belief systems to talk with. Sponsoring a teen at IMYM can help a lot with alleviating this unmet need. It is maybe not for everyone among our few teens to join in big service projects or join with another meeting for big trips or Quaker camps where the teens do not know any people of their interest.

 

We identified a number of challenges for the current Young Friends program:

 

1. We no longer have the force of larger numbers of children and teens like 20+ years ago.

2. We're just beginning again (this is hopeful also).

3. We need to organize the room, create more space to make it more accommodating and inviting for people.

 

Opportunities are:

 

1. We have a small but committed parents group

2. We have a children's program and Marty is doing a great job according to all of the parents

3. We are making progress on cleaning up the room, planning for a play structure, and building more connections with the larger meeting

4. We are ready to be welcoming; we're at the beginning of an organic progression

 

An observation was made that Meeting is welcoming to parents and children but not sufficiently accommodating, due to the limited space of First Day School and a natural attention on issues and conversations that are geared to an older generation. It was also observed that there is a need for more education in Quaker history and values, and for more active integration between parents and older Friends.

 

SURVEY:

First Day School Committee members presented and reviewed survey results from a recent survey among parents. Some of the important aspects and needs for having First Day School included:

 

o FDS teaches children about listening, sitting in meeting

o Important for FDS is the flexibility and openness of Meeting

o Quaker Meeting/FDS is a spiritual home. It teaches about love and about Quakerism in the bigger context.

o Quaker education is most important. FDS is the place to learn it; it's perhaps the only place.

o For some others it was most important to be loved and cared for at FDS. Quaker education was lived and taught at camps, at mini-farm or in the wilderness.

o For quite a few parents, FDS should teach through stories that express Quaker values. Christian questions should perhaps best be taught through discussion about things like baptisms, relation to sins, etc.

o Some expressed appreciation of the natural, slow process of learning about Quaker values in FDS through observation and interactions with others.

 

Some suggestions for improvement included:

 

o Give teens the Faith & Practice book

o Develop or restart a reading program

o A programmed FDS structure may be too forced, too structured for so few kids

o What about having one teen day per month?

o Listen to what teens came up with that they wanted to do: E.g., fund raising.

o Share our curriculum program with Meeting & M&O

o Have the monthly Query also posted in First Day School Room and make our curriculum tie into it somehow, and report back to Meeting how kids in FDS respond to the Query. The Query could be handled like writing down ideas on post-its on a board so everyone can read it.

o Share how we could participate in educational meetings and gatherings of the larger Meeting; e.g., in Spiritual Formation Groups (if that were to start again), bible meeting groups, etc.

o Organize Quakerism 101 education sessions with teens and older young children (all parents present loved this idea). E.g., we could organize short readings from early Quakers. E.g., pick chapter books that have Quakerism in it, and read a chapter per week. Have the teens explain a synopsis. Older kids can read to younger kids. Someone has to catch them up so that the kids summarize it well.

o Many parents expressed in the survey to support or want (more) spiritual education based on Quaker values.

o Improved space; the current space limits the growth of FDS.

o Integrate program in larger meeting community: It would be nice to build the relationship further with the larger Meeting in order to encourage greater involvement from Friends.

o We need to reflect on “Will kids want to continue to come as they grow older?”

o It would be nice to have more regular attenders to FDS.

o Most parents want to reserve play time more (or only) for before and after meeting or during potluck; that's when we need a play structure.

We did not have time to review all of the surveys so this discussion will continue at the next meeting as well.

 

PLAY STRUCTURE:

Rebecca Miles gave a very brief presentation of some of the research she had done on the play structure which included visiting several other churches' playgrounds. She had also looked into the cost of one of the nicest ones she had visited. We will spend more time at the next meeting visiting this topic.

Next meeting: December 4, 2011, at 9:30 pm.

 

(2.) Resident’s Report

 

Resident(Kathleen Burke) was off 11 days during this month with the remaining 30 hours spent preparing the garden for winter, shopping to stock needed materials, cleaning interiors and concluding business with vendors and other farewells.

 

Guest Apartment: 2 guest nights out of 31.

 

Income: $380.00 (deposits and/or payments)

 

Ted Pomeroy covered 6 days/nights in the Ramada casita while Kathleen was away as part of transition and cared for Sasha, the Resident cat. Ted assumed booking of Guest Apartment on October 25th, as Kathleen was preparing for her departure and packing after that date.

 

Addendum:

I  have discovered that I am supersensitive to the natural gas heating and cooking in the casita, and it is affecting my health in negative ways.  I have told Marty and the Resident Committee that I would like to release the position of resident, and asked the committee to look for a replacement.

 

 

Submitted, Ted Pomeroy, Resident Friend as of November 1st, 2011

 

(3.) Treasurer’s report

 

For January 1 to October 31, 2011

Prepared November 15, 2011

31 October

2011

31 October

2010

General Fund income to date $21,637 $19,912

Percentage of budgeted income received 77% 81%

General Fund expenses to date $20,260 $20,932

Percentage of budgeted expenses paid 71% 81%

Maintenance Fund income to date $9,808 $8,745

Percentage of budgeted income received 109% 97%

Maintenance Fund expenses to date $11,963 $15,624

Percentage of budgeted expenses paid 122% 82%

Total cash in bank $29,622 $20,551

Checking $9,345 $7,404

Money market $8,444 $1,431

CDs (3 and 6 month) $11,732 $11,614

Share $101 $101

General Fund $14,524 $8,546

Maintenance Fund $4,777 $8629

Olmstead Fund $162 $162

Sufferings Fund $1,600 $1,500

Turkle Fund $383 $583

Adult Education Fund $242 $242

Young Fund $200 $200

New Meetinghouse Fund $4,698 $688

New Meetinghouse: Bricks and Mortar $3,029 $0

Emergency Assistance $200 $0

TOTAL $29,815

*There is an error in calculating the maintenance fund that I have not been able to

reconcile. It is a work in progress….

 

 

2011 Quarterly Fund Balances

September 30, 2011


Beginning Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
General $14,978 $14,513 $19,161 $14,444
Maintenance $6,932 $8,706 $5,275 $4,232
Diversity $0 $0 $0 $0
Olmstead $162 $162 $162 $162
Sufferings $1,500 $1,500 $1,600 $1,600
Turkle $583 $583 $383 $383
Adult Education $242 $242 $242 $242
Young $200 $200 $200 $200
New Meetinghouse $1,257 $1,279 $1,267 $4,698
New Meetinghouse “Bricks and Mortar” $0 $0 $0 $3,029
Emergency Assistance $300 $100 $200 $200

Total $26,783 $27,285 $28,490 $29,190

 



2011 Quarterly Bank Balances
September 30, 2011


Beginning Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Checking $13,611 $14,085 $5,212 $8,731
Money Market $1,432 $1,434 $11,435 $8,442
CD $11,639 $11,666 $11,699 $11,724
Share $101 $101 $101 $101

Total $26,783 $27,286 $28,447 $28,998*

 

 

 

*Note: There is a $192.00 difference between the Third Quarter Fund Balances and the Third Quarter Bank Balances. I am working on reconciling this difference.

 

________

 

2011 Q3 Good Works Detail and IMYM Assessment

January 1 to September 30, 2011


Annual

Budgeted Actual to Date Difference to Date Actual 2010 Q3

IMYM Assessment $3,185 $3,115 $70 $3,115

Good Works

Our Own Community

Emergencies $350 $0 $350 $187

Scholarships $1,500 $1,500 $0 $1,500

Sufferings $100 $0 $100 $0

Subtotal $1,950 $1,500 $450 $1,687

Broader Quaker Concerns

AFSC $800 $400 $400 $500

Alternatives to Violence Project $400 $200 $200 $400

FCNL $800 $400 $400 $300

FWCC $150 $75 $75 $0

Friends Journal $100 $50 $50 $0

Friends Peace Teams $300 $150 $150 $0

Pendle Hill $100 $50 $50 $100

QEW $150 $75 $75 $0

QUNO $100 $50 $50 $100

RSWR $100 $50 $50 $0

Subtotal $3,000 $1,500 $1,500 1,400

Local Community Needs

As Needs Arise $540 $0 $540 $0

Adelante-SF Public Schools $125 $62.50 $62.50 $100

Bienvenidos Outreach* $125 $67.50 $57.50 $100

Community Farm $125 $67.50 $57.50 $100

Esperanza $175 $87.50 $87.50 $150

Faith at Work** $225 $0 $225 $200

Food Depot $175 $87.50 $87.50 $150

Interfaith Community Shelter Group $225 $112.50 $112.50 $0

Interfaith Leadership Alliance $125 $67.50 $57.50 $125

La Familia $75 $37.50 $37.50 $50

NM Repeal the Death Penalty $0 $0 $0 $0

Open Hands $225 $112.50 $112.50 $0

St. Elizabeth Shelter $225 $112.50 $112.50 $200

Solace Center $125 $67.50 $57.50 $0

Somos Un Pueblo Unido $225 $112.50 $112.50 $200

Villa Therese Clinic $175 $87.50 $87.50 $150

Youth Shelters $125 $67.50 $57.50 $0

Subtotal $3,015 $1,150 $1,865 $1,525

Total Good Works / IMYM $11,150 $7,265 $3,885 $7,727

 

 

* Treasurer's Error: I mistakenly divided $125.00 by 2 and came up with $67.50 instead of $62.50 and then repeated the error. The correction will appear when the final payments are made.

** Faith at Work is no longer operational. The $225 originally allocated to Faith at Work will be moved to As Needs Arise category at the recommendation of the Good Works Committee (as per David Henkel via email on behalf of the Good Works Committee 7September2011).

 

___________

 

2011 Q3 Income and Expense Statement: Maintenance Fund

January 1 to September 30, 2011


Budgeted Actual Difference Actual 2010 Q3

Maintenance Fund


Income

Donations $7,041

Guest Apartment Rental $7,805

Meetinghouse Use $1,391

Miscellaneous Income $68

Forward from 2009 $9,000

Total $9,264 $16,041


Expenses

Ramada $6,688 $416

Grounds $0 $801 $13,095*

Guest Apartment $0 $1,800

Guest Apartment Refunds

Meetinghouse $4,946 $12,406

Emergencies $0

Miscellaneous $330 $201

Total Expenses $9,000 $11,964 $15,624


Net Income $0 ($2,700) $417

 

*Includes $9,000.00 carry over from 2009

________________________

 

 

 

(4.) Finance Committee Report from November 13, 2011

 

1. The Finance committee would like to publish the distribution of the contributions from Lee Carter Estate:

 

1st Distribution: 50% went to the new meeting house fund for bricks and mortar in the amount of $569.00 and 50% went to the general fun in the amount of $569.00.

 

2nd Distribution: 33% in the amount of $2,460.33 went to the new meeting house fund for bricks and mortar and 66% in the amount of $4,920.67 went to the General Fund.

 

2. The Budget request includes a $1,190 increase in operational expenses. This increase is to provide funds to provide for the appraisal of the art work owned by the meeting and to provide for a Ryder to the homeowners insurance policy. There is also an increase in the child care line item to provide child care during the business meeting for worship. The Good Works budget makes donations at the same level as last fiscal year.

 

3. The Finance Committee is anticipating the annual audit to begin after January 30, 2012.

 

4. The Finance Committee is researching the meaning of “Fiduciary Responsibility” and intends to consider Assets Management issues and to make recommendations to the business meeting for worship in the Spring of 2012.

 

Proposed Budget

Good Works Detail & IMYM Assessment

2011 Approved 2012 Budget

Budget Request

 

IMYM Assessment $3,185 $3,185

 

Good Works: Quaker Community

Emergencies $350 $350

Scholarships $1,500 $1,500

Sufferings $100 $100

Broader Quaker Concerns

AFSC $800 $800

Alternative to Violence $400 $400

FCNL $800 $800

FWCC $150 $150

Friends Journal $150 $150

Friends Peace Teams $300 $300

Pendle Hill $100 $100

QEW $150 $150

QUNO $100 $100

RSWR $100 $100

Local Community Needs

As Needs Arise $540 $540

Adelante-SF Public Schools $125 $125

Bienvenidos Outreach $125 $125

Community Farm $125 $125

Esperanza $175 $175

Faithh at Work $225 $0

Food Depot $175 $175

Intrfaith Community Shelter $225 $225

Interfaith Leadership Alliance $125 $125

La Familia $75 $75

Open Hands $225 $225

St. Elizabeth Shelter $225 $225

Solace Center $125 $125

Somos Un Pueblo Unido $225 $225

Villa Terese Clinic $175 $175

Youth Shelters $125 $125

$11,200 $10,975

 

(5.) Ministry and Oversight

 

Report to Business Meeting

 

Eleventh Month 6th 2011

1:30 p.m., First Day School Room

 

Present: John Kretzman, (Co-clerk), Pam Gilchrist, Njoroge Tho-Biaz, Rebecca Henderson (Co-clerk), Greg Cliburn, Bob Gaines (ex-officio). Ann Beauchamp is out of town.

 

October Minutes: Approved

 

Check-Ins: We had thoughtful consideration of our various situations.

 

Observations of the Spiritual Life of the 9:00 and 11:00 Canyon Road Meetings. We have a feeling that things are going well. Today's 11:00 Meeting was filled to capacity. There was some spirit-led vocal ministry that was beneficial. This comes after a period when we have had a couple entirely silent meetings. We feel this is a good sign. We have no news from the 9:00 Meeting.

 

Report of the November 6th Meeting for Consideration of IMYM Proposed Changes in Stewardship and Structure: Jennifer Wellington, our Continuing Committee Representative, led the discussion and will prepare notes of people's comments. Discussion of stewardship proposals was lively. We did not have time to consider the proposed Structure revisions and will do this after the first Sunday potluck in December. Attendance varied from about 15 to half that.

 

Meeting Closings for December: Greg Cliburn. Back-up, Rebecca Henderson. As the time approaches we will find someone for Sunday, Christmas Day.

 

Query for December: Continuing in the Worship Section of IMYM Advices and Queries, “Do I wait in great expectancy for the Spirit to speak - through me or through another? Examples?”

 

Brief Report of Rebecca Henderson's visit to Colorado Regional Meeting: She reports that the weekend at Colorado Regional went very well. Her keynote lecture to about 70 people was entitled, “Living Peaceably with Neighbors and Loved Ones.” About that many also attended the afternoon workshop on living peaceably within business meeting, based on some materials she presents at her clerking workshops. She met with the youngest young Friends and also the teenage young Friends. She reports that the presence of Nancy Rice, of the Albuquerque Meeting, her Companion in the Ministry, was exceedingly helpful. They were encouraged to re-introduce some of these historical Quaker practices by the Traveling Ministries Program of Friends General Conference.

 

Care of Individuals: We considered how to help and encourage those Friends under our care, many with health difficulties, and some with difficult life circumstances.

 

Name Change Proposed for Ministry and Oversight: We recommend to business meeting that the name of Ministry and Oversight be changed to Ministry and Counsel. We feel that the name change would better reflect the eldering and encouragement we do, compared to the word “Oversight” that has a connotation of strict regulation of behavior and care of Meeting property. The fruitful conduct of our Meeting's worship and business sessions are under our care but we feel that “Oversight” is a word that no longer fits our work well. Also, the words “Oversee-er and Oversight” are harsh remnants from the days of enslavement in this country's history. In addition, modern usage of oversight includes the meaning, to overlook something, or one can say “it was an oversight.” This also brings us into line with IMYM's comparable committee, which is called Ministry and Counsel. For these reasons we wish to suggest that the name of our committee be changed to Ministry and Counsel.

 

 

Visitation Dates for Worship Groups: John Kretzmann and Bob Gaines will be attending the Los Alamos Worship Group in November. Rebecca is to contact the Taos Worship Group to see what their wishes are for visits. We have no news from Las Vegas Worship group.

 

On behalf of Ministry and Oversight,

Rebecca Henderson, Co-Clerk.

______________

 

(6.) Peace and Social Concerns

 

Report to Worship with Attention to Business November 20, 2011

Peace and Social Concerns Committee November 13, 2011

 

Attending: Pam Gilchrist, convener, Rebecca Henderson, Beverly Busching, Njoroge Tho-biaz. Visiting: Peli Lee, Jennifer Wellington

 

Following a time of silent worship we considered the following questions:

1. How can we strengthen our witness at IMYM regarding environmental concerns?

a. Working with Erik Swanson and Cindy Yurth (in charge of interest groups for IMYM) for one or possibly two afternoon interest groups. Jennifer is on the Continuing Committee, and is planning a proposal for a permaculture workshop integrated with Quaker spiritual quests. We will work with her leadership on this. Possibilities: join with AFSC farming service project leader Don Bustos and his group (or this might be separate), tie in with Friends World Committee For Consultation, promote the workshop in advance in other Meetings in order to increase attendance (perhaps the advisory board for the AFSC project might assist).

b. Offering environment related videos for viewing at IMYM in the evening. Ideas will be pursued to plan where, how to advertise, how to oversee and lead discussions.

c. Greening the Yearly Meeting itself. Bob Dolphin is our liaison with Ghost Ranch.

d. Writing a Minute to be presented as an action item for business meeting.

e. Developing a youth-produced media project - perhaps as simple as filming the permaculture workshop. Njoroge will broach this idea with Isaiah, who is the co-clerk of Junior Young Friends. No specifics were planned; it should emerge over time as led by spirit.

 

2. How can we support Occupy Santa Fe?

Peli reported that faith communities are working in various Occupy groups, and that Quakers have a facebook page “Occupy Quakers,” reflecting actions across the country. Several Meetings have approved Minutes of support. She is on the local Outreach and Inclusivity Working Group, and they have asked faith communities to bring their worship services into Occupy.

We strongly support having a Quaker Meeting for Worship at Occupy Santa Fe. Tentatively, 2nd First Day, December 11 at 1:30pm. We will post an announcement on our email bulletin that Peace and Social Concerns Committee has proposed this Meeting for Worship, and ask for responses in order to have an idea of who would be interested. This announcement would include a summary of Quaker support in other cities (written by Peli).

Rebecca will write a piece to give to non-Quakers who may join the Meeting for Worship. Pam Gilchrist will post a notice in the New Mexican religion page using an abstract of Rebecca's verbiage.

3. Old business

1. Pam Gilchrist will continue to work on the follow up with Senator Udall on the Clear Act.

2. Pam Geyer will continue to work with Bob Gaines on posting our Quaker Trash to Treasures Exchange on our website.

3. We will look at the strengths and weaknesses of J. Diamond's concept of most pressing environmental problems in an internet exchange.

 

We ended with a few moments of silent meditation.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Beverly Busching

_____________

 


Document Actions