Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2010 Newsletters / June 2010 Newsletter

June 2010 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Sixth Month 2010

 

Calendar of Events

 

Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.

The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.


Sunday, 6/5 - 9:15 am Ministry and Oversight Committee; 12:30 p.m. Potluck
Sunday, 6/12 -
Sunday, 6/19 - 12.30 pm Meeting for Worship for Business
Sunday, 6/26

 

The Monthly Query for the 6th month, 2010

 

“Do we love one another as becomes the followers of the Light, even to
the point of sharing one another’s burdens?”

 

Announcements


June 2 – People for Peace meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St. Questions to Linda Hibbs, 983-3906.

June 5 – Garden Committee will work from 9:00 to 1:00. Please join Kathleen Burke, Alan Rogers & Lorraine Graham in caring for and co-creating the Meeting's outdoor garden space. We work every (well most) Saturdays weather permitting.  All interested & all abilities welcome. Questions to Kathleen @ kathleenb39@gmail.com or 983 7241.

June 6 – 13: Early Days and IMYM Annual Gathering @ Ghost Ranch

June 13 – No 10:10 am Discussion in the Library - July topic to be announced.

Friends in the Arts will not meet during the summer. Questions to Kathleen Burke, 983 7241

Members are reminded to go to www.fcnl.org for current action information from the Friends Committee on National Legislation.

South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group: Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey #209 Santa Fe NM 87507 (505) 471-2288. Meeting is held in a rust-red building on the short end of Camino Carlos Rey, northwest of Cerrillos Road. Worship is every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.& a simple supper potluck is convening each 3rd Wednesday all summer. June’s the simple supper potluck is June 16. Welcome!

 

Please send newsletter comments or suggestions to Marcy Pompei @ marcypompei@comcast.net>.

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, Meeting for Worship for Business, 18th day of Fifth Month 2010

 

Present: Pamela Geyer, Beverly Busching, Marcy Pompei, Wyn Lewis, Rebecca Henderson, Bob Gaines (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk),

 

The Meeting for Worship for Business started at 12:30 p.m. with silence in the meeting room at 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico.

 

Bob Gaines read the following advice from Faith and Practice which was intended for Friends to consider: "Are we aware that we speak through inaction as well as action?" Page 121, Faith and Practice (IMYM, 2009).

 

(1.) Minutes: The minutes for the Fourth Month were approved by Friends.

 

(2.) Adult Education Committee: Friends considered and approved the creation of an Adult Education Committee to identify the role of the committee and make recommendations about adult education and return to business meeting with these recommendations. others are encouraged to participate and volunteer. Wyn Lewis, Rudy Marcus and Reuben Hersh were appointed to serve on the committee to explore options.

 

(3.) Finance Committee: The Finance Committee report for May is included in the Appendix to these minutes. Friends accepted the Finance Committee report and approved the purpose of the Meetinghouse Fund as stated in the Finance Committee report for May 2010. Friends also accepted the audit. Friends expressed appreciation to Lee Carter and Marcy Pompei for completing the audit.

 

(4.) Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s report is included in the Appendix to these minutes for May 2010. Friends listened to an appeal to find different ways of raising revenues and they accepted the treasurer’s report for May.

 

(5.) Nominating Committee: The Nominating Committee recommended the appointment on the second reading of two new members of Ministry and Oversight: Helen Corneli and Rebecca Henderson. Martha Davis will be clerk of Ministry and Oversight, as recommended by M&O. Friends agreed with the recommendations of M&O.

 

(6.) Fellowship Committee: Friends agreed that the purpose of the Fellowship Committee would be changed to providing greeters before and after the 11 am meeting and to establish a separate Housekeeping Committee with responsibility for opening and closing the meetinghouse on First Days.

 

(7.) Ministry and Oversight: See the Appendix to these minutes for the entire M&O report. The query for June: “Do we love one another as becomes the followers of the Light, even to the point of sharing one another's burdens?” Friends accepted the transfer of membership of Alan Rogers from the El Paso Meeting, and the transfer of Rudy Marcus from Palo Alto Meeting. Friends accepted the resignation of Audrey Miller while remembering the value of her participation while a member.

 

(8.) First Day School: See the Appendix to these minutes for the entire First Day School report. Friends accepted the First Day School report.

 

(9.) Good Works: See report in the Appendix to these minutes. Friends accepted the Good Works report.

 

(10.) Announcements: There will be no discussion group the second First Day in June. Also, M&O is looking for someone to write a memorial minute for Gerald Greene; contact Philip Balcombe.

 

The Meeting for Worship for Business ended at 1:55 p.m. with silence.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Marguerite Kearns

 

* * *

 

APPENDIX TO THE MINUTES: Contents

 

(1.) Finance Committee Report

(2.) Treasurer’s Report

(3.) Ministry and Oversight

(4.) First Day School Committee

(5.) Good Works Committee

 

(1.) Finance Committee Report to Business Meeting of May 16, 2010

 

The Finance Committee met on April 19 with Lee Carter, Greg Cliburn, Jennie Crystle, Peggy Giltrow and Marcy Pompei in attendance. The meeting began with a brief period of silent worship.

 

The major work of the meeting was review of the internal audit report for financial year 2009 prepared by Lee and Marcy. We accepted the report and discussed and approved various recommendations. Greg and Lee will work on making sure that specific action items are taken care of. The audit may be viewed on the Meeting's web site. Some topics will be discussed later and further recommendations made.

 

Other items of discussion included proposed wording for the use of the New Meetinghouse Fund, the Emergencies budget line item under Good Works, and the closure of the Meeting's safe deposit box. Action on these continued after the meeting ended.

 

The Finance Committee wants to express its thanks to Jesse Bertron for his valuable contribution to the work of the committee over the past year. We will miss him as he departs Santa Fe upon his graduation from Saint John's this May. We wish him the best, and hope that he will continue to keep in touch with Santa Fe Monthly Meeting.

 

The meeting ended with a short period of silence.

 

The Finance Committee agreed to the following Minute regarding wording about the purpose of the New Meetinghouse Fund to be submitted to Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business. If passed it will become part of the Finance Committee's procedures manual:

 

The purpose of the “New Meetinghouse Fund”, established at the September 2008 Meeting for Worship for Business, is to provide necessary funding for all aspects of development of a new meetinghouse for Santa Fe Friends Meeting. This includes costs for land acquisition and maintenance of the Camino Lejo Land, or any other land proposed for a new meetinghouse, as well as actual building construction.

 

Business Meeting in March asked the Finance Committee and M&O to work together to develop proposed wording on guidelines for use of the Emergency line item. We have worked on the wording with the Good Works committee, and forwarded proposed guidelines to M&O. Unfortunately we did not get the materials to them until after their May 2nd monthly meeting.

 

The Meeting safe deposit box was closed on Monday, May 3. It had remained at Wells Fargo after the accounts were moved a number of years ago to Guadalupe Credit Union. Trying to pay for the safe deposit box this spring was a real tangle, and the Finance Committee agreed to close the box there. When contents were examined we discovered that the only unique items not duplicated elsewhere were three letters of conscience. These can be put with all the others. It seems that a safe deposit box is not needed at this time, although the question can be revisited later if necessary.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Peggy Giltrow, convener, for Finance Committee

 

(2.) Treasurer’s Report for May 2010

For January 1 to April 30, 2010

 

30 Apr 2010 30 Apr 2009

General Fund donations to date $4,978 $5,673

Percentage of budgeted donations received 20% 18%

General Fund expenses to date $9,964 $11,788

Percentage of budgeted expenses paid 39% 38%

Maintenance Fund donations to date $2,075 $4,187

Percentage of budgeted donations received 23% 41%

Maintenance Fund expenses to date $2,834 $498

Percentage of budgeted expenses paid 15% 6%

Total cash in bank $23,237 $19,348

Checking $7,708 $1,766

Money market $3,919 $6,191

CDs (3 and 6 month) $11,509 $11,291

Share $101 $101

General Fund $4,934 $2,438

Maintenance Fund $14,750 $13,749

Olmstead Fund $162 $162

Sufferings Fund $1,400 $1,200

Turkle Fund $583 $778

Adult Education Fund $600 $524

Young Fund $120 $120

New Meetinghouse Fund $688 $378

 

Note: (1) Not counted as income/expense are $5,094 received and $4,439 paid out for the convenience of Friends for workshops/retreats, book purchases, etc. However, this money is reflected in bank and fund balances. (2) April was a relatively expensive month for the general fund. We paid out $1,261 for insurance premium (semiannual payment), $1,305 for scholarships to IMYM, $187 for emergencies (Good Works), and $180 for the quarterly meetinghouse supplies allowance, along with typical monthly expenses.

 

(3.) Ministry and Oversight 5th MONTH, 2010 REPORT TO BUSINESS MEETING

 

M&O met in the first day schoolroom on the first first day, fifth month, 2010, at 9.00 am. Present were Alan Rogers, John Kretzmann, Joan Spencer, Michael Simon, Martha Davis and Bob Gaines, ex officio and Philip Balcombe, Clerk, arriving a few minutes late.

 

The Meeting began before my arrival, I assume with silent worship. This was followed by a discussion of Alan's membership (see below) which I arrived in the middle of. The usual discussion of care for individual lives and of worship groups under our care (they had given no report followed.

 

The Query for 6th month will be: “Do we love one another as becomes the followers of the Light, even to the point of sharing one another's burdens?”

 

We agreed that we will continue for the next two months using the remaining sentences (one each month) of Query 1 on page 124 of IMYM's Faith and Practice.

 

Business

 

We agreed to ask business Meeting to confirm Alan's membership, even in the event that the letter of transfer of his membership from El Paso Meeting to ours not be found. Some officers of our Meeting remember the letter, but it has been mislaid. We will recommend to business Meeting that Rudy Marcus' transfer of membership from Palo Alto Meeting be accepted. We will recommend to business Meeting that Audrey Miller's resignation of her membership in our Meeting be accepted.

We discussed the status of two other memberships. We agreed to confirm with Helen Corneli and Rebecca Henderson the date of June 21st for M&O's discussion of the purpose and role of M&O in our Meeting. Alan will host a potluck at his house for us that evening.

 

Matters of Concern

 

We touched on a member's request that a support group for a project of her's be established at some time in the future, and agreed to additional discussion of the differences between support groups and clearness committees. We continued discussion to recommend to business Meeting consideration of further ways to encourage spoken ministry and to discuss again our Meeting's sense of the place in Meeting of a period for Joys, Sorrows and Concerns? We agreed that a regular check of the local directory of members and attenders, in order to identify those who had not been seen or heard from and might welcome outreach, would be worthwhile. We agreed to postpone discussion of the topics of Friendly 6's, Greeters, and latecomers until another day. We touched on the ramifications of a certain matter of concern to many in our Meeting and agreed to email about a list of those we feel are concerned about them.

 

Our Meeting ended with a period of silent worship.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Philip Balcombe, Clerk of M&O.

 

(5.) Good Works Committee Report to Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

16 May 2010

 

The Good Works Committee met on 26 April 2010.

 

The Good Works committee has begun our efforts to champion the local organizations we support as a Meeting. We will continue to encourage Members and Attenders to speak to the good works of these organizations in brief presentations during announcements at rise of Meeting.

 

Our donations are in line with those of last year. To date, our IMYM assessment, scholarships, emergencies, and AFSC have been paid and about $5000 in donations to local goods works remain to be paid as we have money. We discussed how we might provide clarity to those attending Meeting about how donations to Meeting support Good Works. We will ask Marty if First Day students might prepare a graph or pie chart to illustrate to Meeting our revenue from donations and how it has been spent to date, as well as outstanding commitments.

 

We will ask Marcy Pompeii whether the SFFM weekly digest might include service opportunities labeled as service opportunities. If we encourage more listing of these opportunities, we will consider filtering them, but hope to open the door for meaningful service opportunities for those reading the digest and do now want to begin by screening such opportunities.

 

We agreed that it would be useful if SFFM maintained a Web calendar that included Meeting events, use of the Meetinghouse, events at Quaker House, and service opportunities. None among us are motivated, unfortunately, to organize such a calendar.

 

We meet again on 8 July 2010. At this time, we will strive to incorporate IMYM's consideration of service projects, as well as assess our donations to date, and how we might meet this year's commitments as well as the implications for our proposed budget for 2011.

 

Respectfully submitted by the Good Works Committee,

 

Wyn Lewis (Convener)

Rebecca Allahyari

Peggy Giltrow

Alan Rogers

 

* * *

 

Document Actions