Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2009 Newsletters / December 2009 Newsletter

December 2009 Newsletter

Letter to Friends
Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Twelfth Month 2009

Calendar of Events


Meeting for Worship at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.  First Day School is during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting.  Singing is at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday.
The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the top floor of 1730 Camino Carlos Rey.

Sunday, 12/06    - 9:15 a.m. M&O; 12:30 p.m. Potluck and IMYM Queries
Sunday, 12/13
Sunday, 12/20    - 12.30 p.m. Meeting for Worship for Business
Thursday, 12/24  - Christmas Eve silent worship by candlelight, 6:30 pm
Sunday, 12/27

The Monthly Query for the 12th month, 2009


"Are we prepared to let go of our individual desires and let the Spirit lead us to unity?  Do we accept with grace a decision of the Meeting with which we are not entirely in agreement?"

Announcements

Members are reminded to go to www.fcnl.org for current action information from the Friends Committee on National Legislation.

Dec. 2, People for Peace meets the first Wednesday of the month, at 7 pm. Meetings are held at the Commons Co-Housing, 2300 W. Alameda St.

Dec. 6, Friends are reminded that the Intermountain Yearly Meeting asks its constituent Monthly Meetings to provide guidance through queries concerning issues before the YM.  The  queries (see http://sf.imym.org/imymqueries2009 for background) will be discussed during the potluck.

*Query I. Does your Monthly Meeting support a renewed service program at the Yearly Meeting level?
(AFSC decided last year that it could no longer participate in the Joint Service Project with IMYM, so JSP has been laid down.)

*Query II. Would your Meeting support an increase in IMYM assessments to support Yearly Meeting’s operations?  If you are unable to support an increase, where would you choose to cut the budget?  What disposition should be made of the current budget line item of $24,000 previously entered for the Joint Service Project?
(The Monthly Meetings' annual assessment to support the YM was increased several years ago from $40 to $45 per member to help support the JSP. However, the YM's income has still been less than its expenditures for several years, so the YM has been drawing down its reserves.)

Dec. 13, 2nd Discussion Group will meet from 10:10 to 10:50 in the Meetinghouse Library room.  The discussion will be based upon two readings from the Friends Journal:  "Are we Christian" by Newton Garver, FJ June 2009, and a letter of response "Be Careful of Others' Spiritual Identity" by Hannah Logan Morris, FJ September 2009.  For those planning to attend, copies of these writings are available on the top of the broom closet in the Meeting House, or by calling Pamela Geyer (984 - 0377) or Howard Shulman (984 - 9908).  

Dec. 16, South Santa Fe Quaker Worship Group simple suppers are held on the third Wednesday of each month at 5:30 pm, Quaker House, 1730 Camino Carlos Rey #209 Santa Fe NM 87507 (505) 471-2288. ALL ARE WELCOME. Please bring friends and family. Additions to this simple supper are welcome but not necessary.

Dec. 17, The monthly gathering of the Friends In The Arts (FITA) group will next meet on Thursday, December 17th, from 6pm - 8pm, in the South Santa Fe Worship Group's space on Camino Carlos Rey.  We'll continue with the query from November:  *How are we mindful in what we are communicating through our art?*  This is an ongoing group, and newcomers are always welcome to join us and bring an example of their work to share.  Mediums range from words to fiber to photography to clay and paint, and much more. Questions?  Please feel free to contact Lee at tavia669@gmail.com

Dec. 24, Christmas Eve Farolito Lighting with the Canyon Road Community. Friends are invited to join in setting up and disposing of the Farolitos at the Meetinghouse. and we will host hot spiced cider from 4:30 to 8:30 pm.  Christmas Eve silent worship by candlelight will be from 6:30 pm to 7:15 pm.


Send comments or suggestions to Marcy <marcypompei@comcast.net>.

**************

Minutes of Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business:


Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 15th day of Eleventh Month 2009

Present:  Greg Cliburn, Martha Davis, Peggy Giltrow, Rebecca Henderson, John Kretzmann, Pamela Geyer, Rebecca Allahyari, Steve Spencer, Beverly Busching, Philip Balcombe, Linda Hibbs, Pete Gardiner, Elliott Skinner, David Giltrow, Helen Corneli, Mary Ray Cate, Ken Winston Caine, Alan Rogers, Bob Gaines (Clerk), Marguerite Kearns (Recording Clerk).

The Meeting started at 12:45 p.m. with silence in the meeting room at 630 Canyon Road.

Bob Gaines read the following advice from Faith and Practice which was a reminder to be mindful of the decision-making process in the manner of Friends:

"Those who speak in meetings for business are advised to feel free to express their views but to refrain from pressing them unduly, avoiding contentiousness, obstinacy, and the urge to control. Seek the leadings of the Light and admit the possibility of error. A "third way" may be needed in order for the Truth to emerge and a sense of the meeting to be reached."

(1.) Friends approved the Minutes of the business meeting for the tenth month, with an additional correction from Philip Balcombe which will be submitted at the December business meeting.

(2.) Treasurer's Report: Friends approved the report submitted by Treasurer Greg Cliburn. The treasurer noted an additional bill of $464 for legal work associated with the land transfer which will necessitate a $300 transfer from the General Fund so that the Future Committee can pay the legal bill. Friends approved adding $300 to the budget of the Future Committee.  See Treasurer's report in the Appendix to these Minutes.

There was no report from the Finance Committee.

(3.) Ad Hoc Committee Report on Incorporation: Friends had a lengthy discussion of the revision of the draft bylaws as they were posted online on November 6, 2009. Friends agreed that the issues boiled down to six major areas where the Meeting is called upon to make additional revisions for the purpose of clarity. They were: (1.) the intent to make incorporation as simple as possible (2.) clarity relative to the relationship between the Monthly Meeting and the corporation (3.) concerns relative to rules, regulations and legal formalities (4.) the way in which members of the corporation are defined (5.) the relationship between the officers of the corporation and the officers of the Monthly Meeting and (6.) the setting of deadlines in either business days or calendar days.

The above concerns were distilled from a discussion of a wide range of concerns which included: the ways in which the Monthly Meeting and the corporation are the same and different; the question of whether or not the corporation should make regular reports to the Monthly Meeting; concerns over legal liability and protection; questions about who would hold the title to the current property on Canyon Road; an uneasiness about disagreements that could become complicated because of the division between the corporation and the Monthly Meeting; the issue of attenders, their role in the corporation and how they should be defined; the ways in which the corporation would report to business meeting; honoring and maintaining Friends' practices of decision making; handling special gifts to the Meeting such as land; the need for more clarity on legal liability issues; questions about the definition of a quorum; the reasons for three-year terms of officers; the role of the treasurer in the corporation and the role of the treasurer in the Monthly Meeting; the responsibilities of reporting to the state; the advantages and disadvantages of making the draft language more specific; and the experience of other Monthly Meetings which have incorporated, along with their experiences with incorporation.

Friends thanked the members of the ad hoc committee drafting the articles of incorporation: Rebecca Henderson, Peggy Giltrow, and David Henkel. The ad hoc committee members asked that they be relieved of the responsibility of handling the final stage of revisions and that they be allowed to lay down their burden.

Clerk Bob Gaines requested that volunteers step forward to assist in the process of making revisions to the draft document based on the feedback of Friends during the business meeting for the eleventh month. Ken Winston Caine was one such volunteer. The revisions will be considered by Friends during the business meeting in December 2009.

(2.) Building Committee: Friends agreed to spend up to $7,000 on needed repairs to address a split beam in the portal and deteriorated support posts resting on the ground. One bid has been received and another is expected shortly. Two wood signs have been restored by Jamie Gagan and are now in place. The library fan will be replaced and a new ceiling fan was installed in the guest apartment. Work on a budget for 2010 is underway.

(3.) Ministry and Oversight: Friends accepted the report from M & O. See the complete report in the Appendix. Ministry and Oversight continues with the work of making contact with individuals who haven't been in touch for some time. Mary Ray Cate will coordinate the activities on Christmas Eve.

(4.) Good Works Committee:  Alan Rogers reviewed the input from the threshing session about contributions and the distribution of donations to the community.  The committee is in the process of making a recommendation to the Finance Committee. Members and attenders are struggling with determining the role of the Good Works Committee. There is a need for more information about organizations. There appears to be support for maintaining the practice of parity, that is, contributing to the community at the same level as there is support for maintenance and operation of the Meeting.

(7.) Naming Committee: The Naming Committee proposed Beverly Busching, Kathleen Burke, and Jesse Bertron to serve as the Nominating Committee, with Beverly as the first convener. Friends approved the nominations.

(8.) Announcements: The candlelight service on Christmas Eve will be held at 6:30 p.m.

The meeting ended with silence at 2:55 p.m.

The minutes of Business Meeting for the Eleventh Month are respectfully submitted by Marguerite Kearns, Recording Clerk.

            *            *            *

APPENDIX TO MINUTES OF BUSINESS MEETING: Eleventh Month, 2009

(1.)Treasurer's Report
For January 1 to October 31, 2009
Prepared November 14, 2009

                        2009    2008
General Fund donations to date    18,503    17,276
Percentage of budgeted donations received    59%    64%
General Fund expenses to date    24,820    23,407
Percentage of budgeted expenses paid    83%    87%
      
Maintenance Fund donations to date    9,182    10,084
Percentage of budgeted donations received    92%    101%
Maintenance Fund expenses to date    5,064    5,585
Percentage of budgeted expenses paid    51%    56%
      
Total cash in bank    18,938    20,096
    Checking    3,501    4,724
    Money market    3,908    2,957
    CDs (3 and 6 month)    11,429    12,315
    Share    101    100
      
General Fund    1,517    7,492
Maintenance Fund    14,178    8,842
Olmstead Fund    162    162
Sufferings Fund    1,400    1,300
Turkle Fund    583    778
Adult Education Fund    600    502
Young Fund    120    120
New Meetinghouse Fund    377    900


Notes: (1) By October 31, we are 83% through the year. (2) Figures for 2009 are as of October 31, 2009. Figures for 2008 are as of November 12, 2008. (3) During the first two weeks of November, the general fund received $3,505 and spent $902, for a net increase of $2,603. The general fund balance as of November 14 was $4,120. (4) During the first two weeks of November, the maintenance fund received $1,060 and spent $0. The maintenance fund balance as of November 14 was $15,238. (4) Total of all bank accounts as of November 14 is $22,600.

(2.) M & O COMMITTEE MEETING
11th MONTH, 2009
REPORT TO BUSINESS MEETING

Note: these minutes, and the report to Business Meeting that will be based on them, cover the regular Meeting of the M&O committee.  A supplementary Meeting of M&O is scheduled for just before Business Meeting in 11th month, at which, of necessity, a verbal report of that Meeting will be made to Business Meeting, with minutes and a confirmatory written report to follow as soon as possible.

M&O met in the garden on the first first day, eleventh month, 2009, at 9.15 am.  Present were Michael Simon, Martha Davis, Joan Spencer, Bob Gaines, ex officio and Philip Balcombe, Clerk.

Meeting began with silent worship followed by a sharing of personal concerns and a discussion of care for individual lives and of the worship groups under our care, which had either given no report or reported that they had had a quiet month.

The Query for 12th month will be:

"Are we prepared to let go of our individual desires and let the Spirit lead us to unity?  Do we accept with grace a decision of the Meeting with which we are not entirely in agreement?"

Matters of Concern

Joan will break eleven o'clock Meeting in eleventh month.  Martha agreed to break that Meeting on first and third first days in twelfth month, Philip on second and fourth.  First month of 2010 and those following await coverage.

A discussion of our understanding of the words 'consensus' and 'unity' led to the adoption of our query for twelfth month.

M&O is dealing with concerns brought by several individuals, following up on a clearness committees and preparing for two others.

Insufficient time to address all items on our agenda during scheduled M&O Meetings this year resulted in discussion and a decision to meet again at 9.15 a.m. on third first day this month.  Discussion of several items was postponed until then.

The meeting ended with a period of silent worship.

Respectfully submitted,
Philip Balcombe, Clerk of M&O.

Document Actions