Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2008 Newsletters / June 2008 Newsletter

June 2008 Newsletter

Letter to Friends

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Sixth Month 2008

 

“In that stillness, in that silence, the Word is hidden, the Word in which every thing exists eternally in the plenitude of being. And in that Word the Spirit is present, the Spirit which is in all creation and in the heart of every person, and in our inmost being. And that Spirit is Love, a love which penetrates every atom in the universe, which fills every living thing, which moves in the heart of everyone, which gathers all into unity. In that Spirit we are all one in the Word, each one unique in his or her self, reflecting the Light of the Word, and in that Word we are one with the Source of all.”

 

Bede Griffiths, Roman Catholic monk,

In his 1976 book, Return to the Center

 

Calendar of Events

All events take place at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road, unless otherwise noted. Meeting for Worship is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Childcare and First Day School are provided during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at the former International Institute for Oriental Medicine, 4884 La Junta del Alamo, Agua Fria.

 

Sunday 6/1/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room

12:30 p.m. Potluck

Sunday 6/8/08 9:15 a.m. Ministry and Oversight Committee

10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room

Sunday 6/15/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room

No Meeting for Business. Join us 3rd Sunday in July

Sunday 6/22/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room

Sunday 6/29/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room

10:00 a.m. Meeting for Muffins

 

If you wish to have an item included in the calendar, please contact the Clerk of Meeting. Thank you.

 

* * *

 Meeting for Worship for Business

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 18th, Fifth Month, 2008

 

Present: Anne McLaughlin, Philip Balcombe, David Henkel, Bob Gaines, Alison Martinez, Jan Willem Jansens, David Giltrow, Pam Geyer, John Kretzmann (clerk), Peggy Giltrow (recording clerk).

 

The meeting began with silence at 12:50 p.m. on 3rd Sunday, May 18, 2008.

 

Minutes of the Meeting for Worship for Business for the 4th month were approved.

 

June Business Meeting will be canceled. Meeting discussed the options, since IMYM at Ghost Ranch concludes on 3rd Sunday in June. Rather than having people rush back on 3rd Sunday or rescheduling to 4th Sunday, Meeting approved skipping the June business meeting. A special business meeting could be called for June should events warrant.

 

Young Friends Report: The Young Friends Committee and parents met for a short time just after Meeting on 5/18 to plan for summer. They report that things are going well. The structure created in the last year works and parents are more involved than ever. Summer emphasis will be more on childcare than program, but within the same structure. Parents are signed up through June, but Meeting is asked to help find a childcare person to be hired from June 1 to August 31. M&O has prepared a job description, which can be found elsewhere in the newsletter.

Meeting needs to find a dedicated, paid professional to be the First Day School leader in the fall, as Beverley Weiler can no longer commit to that job. Program structure exists, as well as support from parents, Beverley, and Jan Willem. Beverley is willing to coach and be back-up for the professional person. Meeting agreed to provide extra money needed for training the professional person. Meeting affirmed that First Day School is an important part of spiritual formation for younger members of our community. Philip and Jan Willem will speak with M&O about the process and job description for hiring the professional person for fall.

Discussion included the need for a program for children older than 8 years. As attendance increases and there is more intergenerational support on Sundays, parents are more receptive to the idea of using the Casita as a childcare space. This can become part of the discussion of space needs for Meeting. Meeting expressed thanks to Jan Willem and Beverley and the rest of the committee for all their hard work.

 

Ministry and Oversight Report: The Query for Sixth Month, 2008 will be: “How do we provide our children and young adults with a framework for active, ongoing participation in meeting?”

Meeting has received a communication from Staffordshire Area Meeting, Great Britain, transferring David Vaux’s membership to Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. M&O received the news with great joy, and recommended to Business Meeting that David’s transfer of membership be accepted. Meeting approved the transfer with joy, and thankfulness that David Vaux is a member of our Meeting and our community.

M&O has begun the process of hiring a person to supervise the First Day School from June 1 to August 31, 2008. M&O requests Business Meeting’s assistance in the endeavor by suggesting names of possible applicants, encouraging persons to apply, and otherwise spreading the word.

The job description extended duty hours for the youth leader past 12:30 on Pot-Luck days when children are in attendance. Meeting felt that parents could be responsible for their children after 12:30. Discussion of need for clean-up in the First Day School room, particularly after Pot-Luck, led to a reminder that this should not all be left to the youth leader or parents. Corporately and individually we all share responsibility for clean-up.

 

Building Committee’s May meeting included bringing the new member, Ted Pomeroy, up to speed on past activities and current priorities of the committee, including options on how the property can better meet the needs of the Meeting. Recent activities and accomplishments include: fixing the fan on the heater in the main building and the fuse on the Guest Apartment hot plate, receipt of the new locking mail box which should be installed this week, a proposal to work with the Residence Committee on guidelines for who should have copies of the mailbox key and whether guests might put their apartment keys in the box upon leaving, ongoing wood preservative applied to outdoor benches and exterior wood of building, suggestions to Residence Committee about information to share with applicants for Resident position, city replacement of streetlight in front of Meeting with new, bright sodium lamp, request for protocol for borrowing chairs from Meeting for public events, and a proposal to sell most of the firewood purchased last year but not used because of new policy discouraging use of fireplaces in Guest Apartment and Ramada. Meeting approved sale of the firewood, with income going to the Maintenance budget.

Proposal for a newly constituted committee called Ad Hoc Future Planning Committee (as requested by Business Meeting, fourth month)

This committee is charged with providing a support structure for Santa Fe Friends as they engage in a discernment process regarding future housing for the Meeting guided by spiritual aspirations and concerns. This will entail planning and scheduling discussions, writing summaries, providing structures for group decision-making, and other related tasks. In this process Friends will discuss and make decisions about the needs of the Meeting for an adequate and appropriate gathering space for spiritual worship, educational facilities, and other community activities. They will also consider their ethical and moral responsibilities for the care, management and preservation of Olive Rush’s bequest: the historic building, gardens, furnishings and artwork.

The committee will also encompass the informational function of the previous Ad Hoc Stewardship and Long Range Planning Committee, providing financial, legal, architectural, and other information relative to alternative possibilities under consideration.

The committee requests approval to spend up to $500 on legal or other fees necessary for this process.

At this time the members of this committee are: Beverly Busching (convener), Jennifer Wellington, John Kretzmann, David Giltrow, Bettina Raphael, Frank Hirsch, Guthrie Miller, Jan-Willem Jansens, Alison Martinez, and David Henkel.  

 

Discussion included the need to keep moving forward in continuity of action with no long dry spells, aiming for decisions by the larger Meeting. The above proposal was approved by Meeting with the following changes in the charge:

  1. The words “and other worship groups” be added in sentence 3 after “…decisions about the needs of Meeting…”

  2. The Committee is asked to define a proposed time-line of accomplishments.

  3. The Committee is asked to report back to Business Meeting every third month.

  4. The Committee is asked to consider adding a member from 9:00 meeting.

 

Meeting approved the committee’s request for an initial amount of up to $500. Meeting approved, with thanks for their considerable work, the laying down of the previous two committees: the Ad Hoc Committee on Long Range Planning and Stewardship and the Visioning Committee.

 

A Memorial Fund in the name of Jeanette Young, possibly to be used for the enhancement and maintenance of the garden, has been proposed by Beverley Weiler and Linda Hibbs. The initial specific earmark is a bench, made of durable metal, so as not to need upkeep, with a small plaque in a discreet location on the bench, saying “In Memory of Jeanette Young” with, perhaps, her dates of birth/death. Money for the fund can come from proceeds from the sale of Jeanette’s book, as well as donations from members. Meeting’s discussion included ways to keep the memory of not only Jeanette, but also other Meeting founders and leaders no longer with us, alive for all members and attenders, including the children. Special events were proposed, such as a Jeanette Young day with poems and chocolate or a walk on the trails near St. John’s created on land donated by Eleanor Von Erffa. Meeting asked M&O to consider how we can honor our heritage and celebrate those who have contributed to making our Meeting what it is today. Meeting approved the setting up of the memorial fund.

 

Iraq Peace Crane Memorial to Washington, D.C: Vicki Aldrich and Mary Riseley have received permission to take the Iraq Peace Cranes to the Mall in D.C. for Memorial Day. They have asked for assistance for gas and food money for their journey. $20 was given on the spot, and Meeting agreed to give a further $80 from “As Needs Arise”.

 

Report from South Santa Fe Worship Group: The Worship Group is endeavoring to find the right way forward, without undue delay or pushing spirit, as the steering committee looks for space for all Quaker activities in Santa Fe and for sharing with groups focusing on our traditional testimonies: peace, simplicity, equality, etc. The amount of money available in donations and firm pledges has grown to $356,000. The steering committee is considering land on the south side of town off Airport Road and has a basic building plan. Issues of suitability, safety and access were discussed after information was presented to Meeting. Opportunities are available for work and donations of building supplies as well as cash. Meeting thanked the steering committee for the update and the invitation to participate, and will continue to hold the Worship Group in the light as they strain to “work on the cusp of the spiritual and the practical.”

 

Report on Mothers’ Day Peace Rally on the Plaza: Anne McLaughlin reported that the event felt festive and joyful, with a multiplicity of voices, ages and ethnicities represented. Those who attended agreed wholeheartedly. Friends helped set up the Empty Boots and the Iraq/Afghanistan troop casualty posters around the plaza before the rally began. A plaque containing the proclamation will be passed among co-sponsors, and Anne will try to have copies made for each organization. Excess money will be returned to the Meeting. A planning meeting for next year will be held at 1:30 on June 1 at the Pantry restaurant and anyone who is interested is invited to attend. Meeting was thanked for its support: spiritual, financial and physical, and Bob and Alison for their help at the end of the event. Peace and Social Concerns Committee will probably have a low profile until the next issue comes along. Meeting expressed its deep thanks to Anne for helping return Mothers’ Day to the celebration of peace.

 

Residence Committee Report: The Residence Committee is receiving applications for the Resident’s position and will be meeting on May 24 to consider all applications, set a final list of candidates, and map out an interview process. There is an ad in Friends Journal, Friends Bulletin, on the Quaker Jobs web site, and at meetings belonging to IMYM. To date two applications have been received. The committee will report its progress to Meeting.

 

The Treasurer’s Report can be found elsewhere in the Newsletter. It was approved con gusto. The Treasurer replied to a question about scholarship assistance to IMYM by saying that the $1,200 budgeted by SFFM was used in its entirety, and the additional $400 requested from us was picked up by IMYM.

 

Meeting ended at 2:45 with a short silence and thanks to John Kretzmann for serving as substitute Clerk for this Meeting for Worship for Business.

Peggy Medina Giltrow, Recording Clerk

 

Person needed to supervise First Day School

from June 1 to August 31, 2008

 

M&O has begun the process of hiring a person to supervise the First Day School from June 1 to August 31, 2008. M&O requests Meeting's assistance in the endeavor by suggesting names of possible applicants, encouraging persons to apply, and otherwise spreading the word. We are looking for a college student or a high school senior or junior. The position pays $40 per week. The hours of employment are 10:30 to 12:30 each Sunday, except Pot Luck Sunday when the hours are extended to the end of Pot Luck (if there are children in attendance). Suggestions and applicants should be directed to either Jennifer Wellington <jfloresta@gmail.com>, Clerk of Meeting, or Ford Robbins <fordrobbins@earthlink.net>, Clerk of Ministry & Oversight. Thanks for your help.

 

Jeanette Young Memorial Fund

Meeting has approved a memorial fund, in memory of Jeanette Young, for the enhancement and maintenance of the garden. The first purchase will be a sturdy garden bench. Anyone who would like to donate to the fund may send an earmarked contribution to the Treasurer. Money from the sale of Jeanette's book of poems, Night Wind, will go to the fund.  If you want to buy a copy of the book please contact Linda Hibbs (983-3906).

 

* * * *

 Our Sixtieth Anniversary

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting was formed sixty years ago on May 23rd.

 

The Meeting has three leather bound, legal-sized ledger books which contain the minutes of business meetings and other items related to the history of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting from April, 1948, to July, 1977.

 

The first entries begin with the account of an informal gathering on Wednesday evening, April 14th, 1948, at the home of Silvia Saunders. From later entries, there is a reference of some eight years of informal meetings for worship preceding this gathering when the term "Santa Fe Group of Friends" was used. At the informal meeting, after designating a presiding clerk (Eleanor Brownell) and a recording clerk (Jane Baumann), the main item of the evening was summarized as:

 

"It was the sentiment of the Meeting that steps should be taken to form the Santa Fe Group of Friends into a regular Monthly Meeting by affiliating with the Pacific Coast Ass'n [Pacific Yearly Meeting]. After a time of quiet the meeting adjourned."

 

A month later, membership matters were considered and approved, including applying for membership in Pacific Coast Meeting. That was on May 23rd, 1948, and for all intents and purposes, that gathering represents the 60th anniversary of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting. It was later decided that the annual meeting, where new officers and conveners are selected, would be every June or Sixth Month.

 

It is also worth noting that all founding group members were female: Olive Rush, Eleanor Brownell, Jane Baumann, Edith Crosby, Alice Goodwin, Sylvia Warder, Alice Howland, Louise Callin, Ina Sizer Cassidy, Anna Hamilton. All except Louise and Anna applied for either membership or transfer of membership from their home Meetings.

 

This significant gathering ended with Jane Baumann, recording clerk, writing:

 

"Gratitude was expressed that an organized [M]eeting in Santa Fe was now established. The meeting closed with silence."

 

A few asides about that era 60 years ago: Eleanor Brownell and Alice Howland were long time companions who have a Santa Fe road named after them––Brownell Howland Road, off Bishop's Lodge Road. Their house on that road was designed by the leading architect of  "Santa Fe Style", John Gaw Meem. His wife, Faith Meem, was a regular attender at meetings for worship. One of his junior architects, John Miller, was the first member to be married under the care of the Meeting in the early 1950s. John visited the Meeting several years ago... The previous year, 1947, Olive Rush had received an honorary doctorate from her alma mater, Earlham College, in Indiana... Several of the founding women were wives of Olive's fellow distinguished Santa Fe artists, including Gerald Cassidy and Gustav Baumann... Even before the formal organization of a monthly meeting, the "Santa Fe Group of Friends" had formed an AFSC Committee which focused on relief work for Europe and organized community volunteers to create some 200 layettes and collect over a ton of used clothing to be sent to Philadelphia for onward shipping. This work would continue into the mid-1950s.

Dave Giltrow

 

Treasurer's Report

For January 1 to April 30, 2008, prepared May 12, 2008

 

General Fund donations to date: $7,174

 

Percentage of budgeted donations received: 29%

 

General Fund expenses to date: $10,841

 

Percentage of budgeted expenses paid: 44%

 

*********

 

Maintenance Fund donations to date: $3,144

 

Percentage of projected donations received: 31%

 

Maintenance Fund expenses to date: $883

 

Percentage of projected expenses: 13%

 

********

 

Total cash in bank on April 30: $18,054

 

Checking: $2,929

 

Money market: $2,819

 

CDs (3 and 6 month): $12,206

 

Share: $100

 

*********

 

General Fund: $9,709

 

Maintenance Fund: $5,603

 

Turkle Fund: $778

 

Olmstead Fund: $162

 

Sufferings Fund: $1,300

 

Adult Education Fund: $502

 

Messages and Announcements

­­­­­­

  • No Business Meeting in June. Many people will be at the final day of IMYM on Sunday, June 15, the third Sunday of the month. It was decided at the May Business Meeting to cancel the Business Meeting for June, 2008, rather than to postpone it until the following Sunday. Should it become necessary, a special meeting for worship for business could be called during June at an appropriate date.

  • Friends are reminded that M & O maintains a Meeting Calendar. Please contact Ford Robbins (505-466-7665) to schedule use of the Meetinghouse for your event. This will help avoid conflicts and will allow Meeting to maintain security of the premises.

  • Friends who know someone who would like to reserve a stay in the guest apartment are asked to have the potential guest(s) contact the resident, Peg Martin (505-983-7241), directly to make the booking, so that she can know exact dates as early as possible and coordinate reservations. If there is a change in plans, this also should be communicated directly to Peg by the guests.

  • Junk no more!  Your excess calendars, greeting cards, and old magazines can help women prisoners to maintain connections with friends, families and the outside world.  Just call Audrey Miller at 424-1208.  She'll pick up your donations and get them to the women.  Thank you!

  • Friends and attenders are reminded that Michele Chrabot collects brown paper grocery bags for recycling at the Santa Fe Food Bank. They may be given to her after 11 o'clock Meeting for Worship or placed in the designated bag in the Meetinghouse kitchen.

 

Some Key Meeting Contacts

 

Santa Fe Meeting Websites: http://sf.imym.org http://santa-fe.quaker.org/index.html

Ministry and Oversight Committee: (for personal or meeting-wide concerns, and needs for pastoral counseling) Ford Robbins, convener, 466-7665 fordrobbins@earthlink.net; Joan Spencer, 984-2217 ssspencer@pol.net; Dimitri Mihalas, 661-7414; Philip Balcombe, 466-2982 pjbalcombe@cybermesa.com; Jennifer Wellington, 438-9399 jfloresta@gmail.com; Michael Simon, 989-3817 msimo@lycos.com; Roxanne Seagraves, 438-3714 rstories@aol.com

Meeting Clerk: Jennifer Wellington, 438-9399 jfloresta@gmail.com

Meeting Resident: (for guest apartment, or to report building problems, etc.) Peg Martin, 983-7241.

 

To schedule use of building: Contact Ford Robbins, 466-7665,

fordrobbins@earthlink.net

Recorder: Beverly Busching, 984-8742 bbusching@mindspring.com

Treasurer: Bob Gaines, 466-1746 gaines@comcast.net Please mail financial contributions to Treasurer, Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 630 Canyon Rd, Santa Fe NM 87501, or put in “birdhouse” box. Thank you!

Young Friends (18–40ish) get together often. For information please contact Sarah Cutler, 216-5219 smcutler@mtholyoke.edu.

The Peace and Social Concerns Committee welcomes new members. Anne McLaughlin, 995-9655 caunteton@msn.com. Meetings as and when announced.

The Committee on Conscientious Objection meets as needed. For information please call Howard Shulman, 984-9908.

South Santa Fe Worship Group contact person is Alison Martinez, 438-0729 alison1@cybermesa.com

For a complete list of committees, see the Meeting Directory. Friends and attenders can request a copy at any time, either 'printed on demand' and mailed to you or sent to you electronically, i.e. as an email attachment. For hard copy please contact Molly Vaux (mvaux@desertgate.com, 505-454-9352) or to receive by email contact Bob Gaines (gaines@comcast.net, 466-1746). In either case please specify whether you want the local Santa Fe directory or the outside Santa Fe directory, or both.

 

 

What would the world be, once bereft

Of wet and wildness? Let them be left,

O let them be left, wildness and wet,

Long live the weeds and the wildness yet.

 

From Inversnaid by Gerard Manly Hopkins

 

In Hopkins’ damp climate, where marshes were drained for agriculture, this was perhaps a quaint plea, but where every drop of rain is welcomed, and every stream controlled, is there not a different poignancy?

 

 

Document Actions