Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Newsletters / 2008 Newsletters / August 2008 Newsletter

August 2008 Newsletter

Letter to Friends
Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Eighth Month 2008




And he smote upon the door again a second time;
“Is there anybody there?” he said.
… But only a host of phantom listeners
That dwelt in the lone house then
Stood listening in the quiet of the moonlight
To that voice from the world of men.
… And he felt in his heart their strangeness,
Their stillness answering his cry.
… For he suddenly smote on the door, even
Louder, and lifted his head:––
“Tell them I came and no one answered,
That I kept my word,” he said.

From The Listeners, by Walter de la Mare


Calendar of Events

All events take place at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road, unless otherwise noted. Meeting for Worship is held every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Childcare and First Day School are provided during the 11:00 a.m. Meeting. The South Santa Fe Worship Group holds Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at the former International Institute for Oriental Medicine, 4884 La Junta del Alamo, Agua Fria.

Sunday 8/3/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room
12:30 p.m. Potluck
Sunday 8/10/08 9:15 a.m. Ministry and Oversight Committee
10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room
Sunday 8/17/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room
12.30 p.m. Meeting for Worship for Business
Sunday 8/24/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room
Sunday 8/31/08 10:00 a.m. Singing, First Day School room
10:00 a.m. Meeting for Muffins


If you wish to have an item included in the calendar, please contact the Clerk of Meeting. Thank you.

Meeting for Worship for Business
Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 20th Day, Seventh Month 2008

Present: Guthrie Miller, Mary Ray Cate, Rebecca Cecil, Rebecca Henderson, John A. Kretzmann, Philip Balcombe, Peggy Giltrow, David Giltrow, Adam Harvey, Hilary Miller, Molly Vaux, Pamela Gilchrest, Wyn Lewis, Alison Martinez, Bob Gaines, Ted Pomeroy, Ford Robbins (substitute clerk), Marguerite Kearns (recording clerk).  

The meeting began with silence at 12:30 p.m. on the 3rd Sunday, July 20, 2008.

Minutes of the Meeting for Worship for Business for the sixth month were not approved because there was no business meeting in June 2008.

Finance Committee Report: The Internal Audit Report for the 2007 fiscal year, prepared by Greg Cliburn and Peggy Giltrow (approved by the Finance Committee on 7/15/08), was presented. David Giltrow made a request to Friends to help with an inventory of Olive Rush [items] and to contact him, if interested. The audit report was accepted with “immense gratitude” to the committee. Anyone interested in serving on the Finance Committee is asked to contact Peggy Giltrow, committee convenor. The Giltrow phone number is 988-4751.

Treasurer’s Report: An income and expense statement was presented and accepted for two quarters showing the annual amount budgeted, the amount budgeted to date, the actual figures to date and the difference to date. Treasurer Bob Gaines said he hoped the breakdown submitted would make clear the state of the Meeting’s expenditures. He noted that Good Works expenditures are divided up quarterly.

Residence Committee Report: Convener Molly Vaux reported on the new Meeting Resident for one year, Kathleen Burke, a member of Atlanta Meeting, now residing in Scotland where she has been for the past four years. She will officially start on November 1, 2008 and serve through August 2009. The selection was made based on telephone interviews. Friends approved the residency of Kathleen Burke.

Considerable discussion focused on filling that gap between now and then, considering that Peg Martin is no longer living in the Ramada but she has been covering the Resident’s duties and responsibilities and will continue doing so during August, September and October. Marty Carroll and Guthrie Miller will be the new convenors of the Residence Committee. Concerns were raised about two areas of responsibility Peg Martin will not be able to address: checking on building security after three outside groups have left the premises for organizational meetings and washing linens after the monthly potluck.

Peg Martin’s request to be paid $500 a month in the interim for the major responsibilities of the Resident was considered, with the idea in mind that rental from the Ramada (casita) could cover this expense. Peg will also participate in the transition to the new resident. Details associated with this issue revealed the fact that Santa Fe Meeting does not have clear guidelines as to rental arrangements with individuals and clear answers about the ways in which insurance coverage could be impacted. Peggy Giltrow is looking for guidelines currently on file for the guest apartment and the Ramada (casita).

Ford Robbins suggested that Meeting reevaluate the role of Ministry and Oversight in handling scheduling for outside groups, as well as the members and attenders who wish to use the Meeting House. He said M & O will not book any new outside groups during the summer and fall. The regularly-scheduled meetings will continue, and those responsible will be contacted to remind them of their responsibilities involving security. The committee will find a few volunteers who live nearby to provide support in this regard.

Several people are interested in renting the Ramada on a short-term basis. Meeting approved the rental of the Ramada (casita) to Carolina Sherman for the month of August and will consider other requests at the August meeting.

Deciding on an appropriate way to thank Peg Martin and welcome Kathleen Burke is under consideration and the discussion was postponed for the August meeting. Friends approved a temporary measure of authorizing the Clerk of the Meeting and the Conveners of the Resident’s Committee to address any decisions regarding rentals, with the intent of reviewing guidelines for future needs. Molly Vaux was acknowledged and thanked for her work as convener of the Resident’s Committee over the past year.

Friends approved the payment of $500 to Peg Martin, monthly, from August through October, with the continuing responsibilities of carrying forward with the same resident duties, except those identified above of security and laundry. Peggy Giltrow will report back on existing guidelines for the guest apartment and Ramada (casita) at the August business meeting.

M & O: The report was brief considering that a great deal of the content of the last meeting was confidential. Other topics discussed included the status of worship groups. The August query is: “Do we meet in expectant waiting for the promptings of the divine spirit?”

Nominating Committee: Rebecca Henderson has agreed to serve as IMYM Nominating Committee member. Betsy Bartels, Alison Martinez and Barbara Belding will serve on the Naming Committee. They will select the next Nominating Committee.

First Day School: An individual to supervise First Day School is still being sought.

Peace and Social Concerns: The report was brief because the committee is taking the summer off. Bob Gaines raised a concern about an education campaign of the National Religious Campaign Against Torture and banners being displayed by other church congregations in the community that “Torture is Wrong.” Because SFMM is located in a historic district, such a banner might require a waiver with the city. It isn’t clear whether or not a notice board outside Meeting (and discussed previously) would work for such a display of sentiment. Plans for this notice board are still in the works. Discussion on such a banner and an associated waiver will be continued at the August meeting.

The meeting ended at 1:30 p.m. with silence and thanks to Ford Robbins for serving as the substitute clerk for this Meeting for Worship for Business.

Marguerite Kearns, Recording Clerk
505-753-9760, home
505-670-3124, cell


Finance Committee Report

The Finance Committee for the current year, beginning July 1, 2008, consists of Greg Cliburn, Peggy Giltrow, and Bob Gaines, Treasurer. Anyone else who is interested in being on this committee is encouraged to call Peggy Giltrow at 988-4751 or e-mail her at pgiltrow@cybermesa.com

The main work of the Finance Committee this month was to conduct the internal audit for the 2007 fiscal year. Greg Cliburn and Peggy Giltrow did that, with help and information from the Treasurer. The audit report can be found on the Meeting’s web site at http://sf.imym.org. This section of the web site does NOT require a password for entrance (as do some other parts of the web site; if you do not have a password, please contact Bob Gaines at 466-1746 or gaines@comcast.net). You can request a paper copy of the audit report from either Bob or Peggy.

The Finance Committee wishes to thank Kip Corneli and David Giltrow for installing the new lockable mailbox.

We need to conduct an inventory of the contents of the Meeting House for insurance and planning purposes.  The art and Olive Rush collection was inventoried last year. This is the nuts and bolts stuff. David Giltrow has agreed to represent the Building Committee in doing the inventory. Anyone who would like to help is asked to contact him at 988-4751 or dgiltrow@cybermesa.com

Respectfully submitted,
Peggy Giltrow, convener of Finance Committee

AFSC Sponsors Dialogue with Iraqi Parliamentarians

The American Friends Service Committee recently sponsored two elected members of the Iraqi parliament to travel to New York and Washington, D.C., to create a dialogue with U.S. political leaders about how to find a path to peace and stability in Iraq. This is the first visit of Iraqi parliamentarians with their counterparts in the U.S. Congress since the beginning of the war in Iraq. AFSC seeks to foster an open and honest conversation of the political realities in Iraq between Iraqi and U.S. political leaders in Congress.

AFSC staff and allies who have been in close contact with Iraqis believe that the mainstream debate in the U.S. focuses on a fundamental misunderstanding of the conflicts in Iraq. Aura Kanegis, AFSC Director of Public Affairs, explains, “The idea that the ongoing violence and governmental dysfunction in Iraq results from an ethno-religious divide between Shias, Sunnis, and Kurds does not reflect the full political reality on the ground.” According to the Iraqi leaders and experts, the overriding divide in the country is between ethnic and religious separatists who want continued U.S. presence in Iraq and Iraqi nationalists who oppose the U.S. occupation and any other foreign presence in their country as a threat to their national sovereignty. The dialogue and exchange program will expand understanding of the situation in Iraq which is a critical component to developing sound policies for the future U.S. role in Iraq.
Two Iraqi parliamentarians participated in the dialogue and exchange program:
• Sheikh Khalaf Al-Ulayyan, founder of the Iraqi Front for National Dialogue. This Sunni-led political party is against sectarian politics and partitioning and stresses the importance of ending the U.S. occupation.
• Dr. Nadim Al-Jaberi, of the Shiite Islamic Virtue Party. This party’s support comes mostly from the south of Iraq. They have protested the rising sectarianism in Iraqi politics, and they are against foreign intervention.
The parliamentarians began in New York City for one day at the United Nations, then traveled to Washington D.C. for eight days. They participated in a formal briefing with members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, a breakfast with Chairman Berman of the Foreign Affairs Committee and invited guests, and a dinner with Chairman Delahunt of the Subcommittee on Human Rights. They will also participate in a briefing with members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Additionally, the delegation met with members of the NGO community in a large gathering at the Carnegie Institution for International Peace.

Reprinted from their web site, with the permission of American Friends Service Committee

The Editor would be interested to learn of any existing competition for Most Boring Quaker Newsletter, as he feels we could have a good chance of winning with one of our recent issues. Please be careful before answering this: Walter de la Mare is dead, but the editor isn’t (though you might wonder) and a heart attack could be fatal. Alternatively, see if you can really put the boot in: send in some contributions! How about some more bios for our “Getting to Know Each Other” section, surely some of the most worthwhile and enjoyable items we have published?

Messages and Announcements
­­­­­­
Friends are reminded that M & O maintains a Meeting Calendar. Please contact Ford Robbins (505-466-7665) to schedule use of the Meetinghouse for your event. This will help avoid conflicts and will allow Meeting to maintain security of the premises.
Friends who know someone who would like to reserve a stay in the guest apartment are asked to have the potential guest(s) contact the resident, Peg Martin (505-983-7241), directly to make the booking, so that she can know exact dates as early as possible and coordinate reservations. If there is a change in plans, this also should be communicated directly to Peg by the guests.
Junk no more!  Your excess calendars, greeting cards, and old magazines can help women prisoners to maintain connections with friends, families and the outside world.  Just call Audrey Miller at 424-1208.  She'll pick up your donations and get them to the women.  Thank you!
Friends and attenders are reminded that Michele Chrabot collects brown paper grocery bags for recycling at the Santa Fe Food Bank. They may be given to her after 11 o'clock Meeting for Worship or placed in the designated bag in the Meetinghouse kitchen.


Some Key Meeting Contacts

Santa Fe Meeting Websites: http://sf.imym.org http://santa-fe.quaker.org/index.html
Ministry and Oversight Committee: (for personal or meeting-wide concerns, and needs for pastoral counseling) Ford Robbins, convener, 466-7665 fordrobbins@earthlink.net; Joan Spencer, 984-2217 ssspencer@pol.net; Dimitri Mihalas, 661-7414; Philip Balcombe, 466-2982 pjbalcombe@cybermesa.com; Jennifer Wellington, 438-9399 jfloresta@gmail.com; Michael Simon, 989-3817 msimo@lycos.com; Roxanne Seagraves, 438-3714 rstories@aol.com
Meeting Clerk: Jennifer Wellington, 438-9399 jfloresta@gmail.com
Meeting Resident: (for guest apartment, or to report building problems, etc.) Peg Martin, 983-7241.
To schedule use of building: Contact Ford Robbins, 466-7665,
fordrobbins@earthlink.net
Recorder: Beverly Busching, 984-8742 bbusching@mindspring.com
Treasurer: Bob Gaines, 466-1746 gaines@comcast.net Please mail financial contributions to Treasurer, Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 630 Canyon Rd, Santa Fe NM 87501, or put in “birdhouse” box. Thank you!
Young Friends (18–40ish) get together often. For information please contact Sarah Cutler, 216-5219 smcutler@mtholyoke.edu.
The Peace and Social Concerns Committee welcomes new members. Anne McLaughlin, 995-9655 caunteton@msn.com. Meetings as and when announced.
The Committee on Conscientious Objection meets as needed. For information please call Howard Shulman, 984-9908.
South Santa Fe Worship Group contact person is Alison Martinez, 438-0729 alison1@cybermesa.com
For a complete list of committees, see the Meeting Directory. Friends and attenders can request a copy at any time, either 'printed on demand' and mailed to you or sent to you electronically, i.e. as an email attachment. For hard copy please contact Molly Vaux (mvaux@desertgate.com, 505-454-9352) or to receive by email contact Bob Gaines (gaines@comcast.net, 466-1746). In either case please specify whether you want the local Santa Fe directory or the outside Santa Fe directory, or both.

 

Document Actions