A      LETTER       TO       FRIENDS

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting       11th Month 2006           

 

Calendar of Events

All events to be held at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, unless otherwise noted.

Meeting for Worship is held every Sunday at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. 

Childcare and teen First-Day School are provided during the 11 a.m. service.

 

Sunday, Nov. 5                      10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:10 - 10:45 a. m. Meeting for Worship for Healing

                                    12:10 a. m.  Potluck following 11 a.m. Meeting

                                                                          

Sunday, Nov. 12           9:15 a. m. Ministry and Oversight Committee, guest apartment.  Friends with

                                       concerns to bring before the committee, please come at 10:00

                                    10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                                                                                           

Sunday, Nov. 19           10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room                               

                                    12:10 p. m.  Meeting for Worship for Business 

                                                             

Sunday, Nov. 26           10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:00 a. m.  Peace and Social Concerns Committee, Library        

                                    12:10 p. m.  Pot-luck (soup provided) for Adult Young Friends (loosely 18-35) for

                                                fellowship

                                                                         

Sunday, Dec. 3                        10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:10 - 10:45 a. m. Meeting for Worship for Healing

                                    12:10 p. m. Olive Rush Appreciation Day.  Potluck and activities at rise of 11:00

                                                a. m. Meeting (see below) 

 

Sunday, Nov. 5                        10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:10 - 10:45 a. m. Meeting for Worship for Healing

                                    12:10 a. m.  Potluck at rise of 11 a.m. Meeting

                                   

Attention All Committee and Group Members:  Please send calendar items to the newsletter editor at katemoses at earthlink.net.  The editor is not aware of committee meetings, events, etc., unless you make her aware.  Help get the word out!  Please include date, time, place, and description of events.  Thanks.  --ed.

 

 

   The World Is Too Much With Us

 

The world is too much with us; late and soon,

 

  Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:

 

  Little we see in Nature that is ours;

 

We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

 

This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,

        

  The winds that will be howling at all hours

 

  And are up-gather'd now like sleeping flowers,

 

For this, for everything, we are out of tune;

 

It moves us not.—Great God! I'd rather be

 

  A pagan suckled in a creed outworn,—

  

So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,

 

  Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;

 

Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;

 

  Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

--William Wordsworth (submitted by the editor,

  at the approach of the winter holiday season)

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business

October 15, 2006

 

Present:  Frank Hirsch, John Kretzmann, Rebecca Henderson, Philip Balcombe, Sara Cutler, Shelley Cohen, Nina Sammons, Kate Whitefield, Ann Anthony, Bob Gaines, Ford Robbins, Peg Martin, David Giltrow, Beverly Busching, clerk; Peggy Giltrow, recording clerk

 

Meeting opened with a short period of silence.  Minutes of the last meeting were approved.

 

Ministry and Oversight reported on their meeting of October 8, noting the committee’s awareness of needs of members and attenders under its care and for whom concern has been expressed.

 

The Query for the 11th month will be:  “Where there is animosity, division and conflict, do we facilitate healing and reconciliation? Does the Meeting support us in this work?”

 

The report of the Visioning Session held in late August has been received and sent to the e-mail list as well as posted on the announcements board. The Visioning Committee will be asked to convene a meeting or meetings of the group who signed up to write a vision statement for Meeting, and help produce a vision statement for consideration by the next M & O meeting.

 

The single action item was a summary of the duties and processes of the Nominating Committee, an attempt to simplify the process while translating tradition to paper. 

 

After much discussion of the specifics of the summary, the report was accepted in spirit but returned to M and O for addition of the amendments and clarifications agreed upon.  Many thanks were given to the Nominating Committee for their work throughout the year and for their help in preparation of the report.  The amended report appears as a boxed item later in the newsletter.

 

During this year each committee of the Meeting is encouraged to clarify its duties and processes in a written document.

 

Finance Committee asked for Meeting approval of three items:

1.       The appointment of an ad hoc committee to look into the stewardship issues involved in adequately insuring Meeting structures. Meeting approved an ad hoc committee consisting of the Treasurer (representing the Finance Committee), one member of the Building Committee, one member of Ministry and Oversight, and one Trustee. The other committees involved will each appoint a member to the ad hoc committee.  The Treasurer will convene the committee by mid December. The ad hoc committee will report back to the Finance Committee by the end of January, so that the Finance Committee can recommend and take appropriate action before the next insurance premium falls due May 2, 2007.

2.       The Finance Committee reported that the income received in the general fund by the end of September ($8,987) is less than 50% of the amount budgeted for the year ($20,580). Meeting heartily approved the development and mailing of a tactful and thoughtful fund raising appeal as soon as possible.

3.       The Finance Committee proposed the addition of the Clerk of the Finance Committee and the Clerk of Meeting as signers of Meeting checks.  Discussion included the need to incorporate sound accounting procedures to protect Meeting from malfeasance, as well as the ability to pay bills and deposit funds promptly when the Treasurer is out of town.  Meeting approved the addition of these two names and asked that the immediate past Treasurer remain as a 4th approved signer of Meeting checks.  In normal circumstances only the Treasurer will sign checks to pay bills as necessary.

 

The Nominating Committee submitted the following names for a second reading:  Finance Committee: Greg Cliburn; Peace and Social Concerns David Vaux; Resident’s Committee: Marty Carroll; Fellowship Committee: Roxanne Seagraves and Jesse Bertron; Good Works Committee: Beverly Busching and Ford Robbins; Young Friends Committee: Frances Shillaker; FCNL contact: Ann Anthony; Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts Ford: Robbins and Caroline Rackley; Pendle Hill Representative: Marty Carroll; IMYM Committee on AFSC: Greg Cliburn; IMYM Joint Service Project Representative: Rebecca Cecil; IMYM Committee on Faith and Practice: Roland Pool.  Meeting approved with thanks.

 

The Nominating Committee submitted the following names for a first reading. Archivist: David Giltrow; Naming Committee: Alison Martinez, Jonathan Ashworth, Wyn Lewis; IMYM Continuing Committee: Bob Gaines; IMYM Nominating Committee: Jennifer Wellington. Meeting approved with thanks.

 

A new summary of all committee members will be put on e-mail and the announcements board within the coming week.

 

The Treasurer presented the report for the 9th month and for the 3rd quarter. Utilities to date have consumed only 66% of the budgeted amount for the year rather than the anticipated 75%.  Newsletter costs are running over budget at about $50 per month.  As noted in the report of the Finance Committee, income in the General Fund by the end of the 3rd quarter is less than 50% of the amount budgeted for 2006. Contributions are welcomed.  Meeting accepted the report.

The Olive Rush cataloging project still lacks about $300 to make up the $1800 paid to Kate Pope for her work. If you would like to contribute specifically to that project please earmark your contribution.

 

Peg Martin, the new Resident, asked for guidance in handling emergency requests for funds. The Finance Committee will make a recommendation to the next Business Meeting.

 

The Building Committee reported that recent work has focused on upgrading the Ramada, and that “The new Resident, Peg Martin, has done a great job of setting up a cozy home in the Ramada and has worked with the Committee to identify and solve problems in the Ramada, Meetinghouse and Guest Apartment.” 

 

Immediate Guest Apartment problems include the need for a new bed, fixing bathroom leaks, and the addition of a shower.  Later improvements would include replacement of the gas heater, hot water heater, and small fridge, plus some redesign of the kitchen.

 

Recent general maintenance included painting and wood preservation and the repair by Marvin Garcia of the wall between Meeting property and the Alice Parrot property next door. Mr. Garcia also stuccoed the parapets along the tops of the Meetinghouse exterior walls in preparation for winter. The Portal floor will be patched and re-sealed within the next few weeks.

 

Security problems include the theft of the key to the Guest Apartment and Portal doors from the envelope left for an arriving guest. The police never responded to a 911 call. The locks were re-keyed the next morning and the procedure for leaving keys for guests changed.  More lighting is needed in front.

 

Peg is making new washable covers for Meetinghouse cushions. The cushions will also be frozen for a week to kill off dust mites.

 

Marvin Garcia will also patch and plaster immediate problems in the Meeting Room. Long term all the old plaster and paint throughout the house needs to be removed and replaced with modern whitewash.  Estimated cost is $15,000.

 

Committee on Conscientious Objection (note name change) invites the Meeting to join them in a Worship Sharing on November 12 and subsequent 2nd first days. The query for this month is: “In what manner does spirit inform our active witness?” The committee is working on a letter to send to area Meetings to accompany the existing brochure on the Selective Service and advice to conscientious objectors. 

 

Adult Young Friends invite those interested to a potluck with delicious soup each 4th First Day after Meeting.  They asked Meeting’s approval of a possible service project, “Trick or Treat so that Others May Eat” to be held in a selected neighborhood to solicit canned goods for the Food Bank.  Meeting approved.

 

Resident Summary for September, 2006.  Peg Martin, our new Resident, gave us a detailed report of all her activities for the month of September, resulting in 139 hours worked. The expected service by the Resident is only 10 hours per week.  Peg has given us a wonderful gift of 100 additional hours, including her talents in making new curtains, painting the Ramada, and building screens as well as attending to regular duties in garden, Guest Apartment and Meetinghouse.  Various significant improvements have been made to the Guest Apartment, which was occupied all 30 days of September and is booked for guests 29 of the 31 days of October.  Please look at Peg’s detailed report on the announcement board this and every month.

 

The Residence Committee thanked the new Resident for her generosity to Meeting in her first month, and noted that the “normal” resident duties tallied consume well over 10 hour per week. Roland’s estimate was 17 hours per week. Meeting joined in thanks and asked the Residence Committee to put the summary on e-mail so that members and attenders can appreciate all the work it takes to keep the Meeting’s facilities running smoothly.

 

The Communications Committee reported that the actual cost of mailing the printed newsletter is about $840 per year.  At present 58 copies are printed.  48 copies are mailed and 10 are left in the library for those who want to pick one up.  In the next three mailings people will be asked to re-subscribe or make the change to e-mail. 

 

The IMYM web site is almost ready to provide password protected space for monthly meetings.  If SFFM wants to do so, it could make the newsletter available in the secure space in pdf format.  The advantages of rich text format were also discussed. Some parts of the web site are openly accessible.

 

The current Meeting directory lists 125 Santa Fe households and 50 outside of town.

 

The meeting ended with a period of silence at a little before 3 p.m.

 

DUTIES OF THE NOMINATING COMMITTEE

 

The Nominating Committee will nominate Officers of the Meeting, the Clerk of Ministry and Oversight and the members of M & O, Meeting representatives to IMYM committees and the Meeting’s Joint Service Representative,.  Those nominations will be given a first reading at Business Meeting, followed by a month of thoughtful consideration, and then a second reading.  Nominees will assume their office upon the second reading.  M & O members serve staggered two-year terms.

 

The Nominating Committee will confer with clerks of standing committees to find out who is willing to remain on each committee. The Nominating Committee will nominate first conveners for each of the meeting’s standing committees, and report such nominations to Business Meeting.  There will be no further formal acceptance process. First conveners and members of the committee agreeing to continue service will undertake to secure additional members for their committee with the assistance of the Nominating Committee.  Nominees in this category will serve one-year terms.  Committees will report changes in their committee membership through their monthly report to Business Meeting.  All standing committees (except M & O) are open to anyone who wishes to join at any time.


Business Meeting will appoint members to ad hoc committees.  Nominating Committee will be asked to fill Officer, IMYM, AFSC and M & O vacancies as they occur during the year.


The nomination process will be considered closed as of June of each year (excepting vacancies as described above).  After nominations close in June, the Nominating Committee will name a Naming Committee to be accepted by Business Meeting after a first and second reading.  The Naming Committee will name the next year’s Nominating Committee by February each year.  

 

Meeting suggests the Nominating Committee begin the nominating process with general encouragement to consider service to the meeting and a request that interested people contact the Nominating Committee.  Next (ideally) each member and attender might receive a call or an email, with specific suggestions as to work they might consider.  A follow-up call might come next. Lastly, if positions remain unfilled, a request to give specific service could be made. In short, the process should be combination of all the above approaches to gathering nominees.

 

Meeting requests that the Nominating Committee make an effort during its process to contact all meeting members and attenders. Meeting believes that this contact is essential to maintaining active members and attenders.

 

Announcements

F(f)riendly cooks sought to help feed the guests at St. Elizabeth's Shelter on the 2nd Friday of each month. Cooks usually prepare food at home and bring it to the Shelter. Others cook at the Shelter and share a meal with the guests. This is a 20 year-long commitment to the Shelter that was started by Shirl Olmstead. Please call Nichoe at 438-4368 or email at nichoe at earthlink.net if you would like to join us.

 

Your contributions for the following ongoing service projects are always appreciated.  Please bring to Meeting: 1. Used postage stamps, 2 Lightly used children’s books (see “Moms” below), 3. Non-perishable teen-friendly foodstuffs for youth shelter.  Thank you!

 

Young Friends need a volunteer to lead First Day School on November 26, 2006. Please call Betsy Bartels if you can help. (Editor’s note: No phone number accompanied this announcement & I was unable to find one).

 

Moms Read to Kids: Young Friends are collecting lightly used children’s books to contribute to a reading program at NM women’s prisons. Mothers read books onto audio tapes for their daughters and sons who are learning to read. The book and tape are sent to the child. Please check your book shelves and closets for age appropriate children’s literature. The Young Friends thank you for your contribution to their service project.  Books can be deposited in a colorful box located in the library.

 

The Draft and Military Counseling Committee is now called the Committee on Conscientious Objection.  COCO now meets on a needs basis.  To get information on the committee / meeting time and place please call Howard Shulman at 984-9908.


Interested Friends are welcome to Steve and Joan Spencer's house on Tuesday evenings. On September 19 we started watching a series of discussions of the Book of Genesis. Our pattern is to first watch a 55 minute stimulating video with Bill Moyers talking with very well informed participants.  Then we have a turn to talk!  Bob Gaines is our discussion leader. To get to Spencers' house drive to the  intersection of Old Pecos Trail and Zia Road, turn east on Zia and go one block, turn left on Calle de Sebastian and stop at the first house on the left (2154). We gather at 7:00 p.m.

 

Our most senior member of meeting, Jeanette Young, will be at home and welcoming visitors for tea and crumpets any day between 2:00 and 5:00 (no need to call ahead; short sweet visits are fine). 

 

Would you like to receive a paper copy of our new Meeting directory?  Telephone Molly Vaux at (505)

988-9545 to arrange to receive it via the US Mail. 

 

Peace and Social Concerns invites YOU to join us in "speaking truth to power."  We meet at the Meetinghouse the 4th Sunday of each month indoors or out in good weather. There are so many "concerns—crises, in fact--that we need to strategize on what would be most effective and speak to the concerns of our members.  Log on http://www.fcnl.org/index.htm (Friends Committee on National Legislation) to find out what our representatives in Washington suggest.  This wonderful organization keeps watch on Congress and lets us know when letters are needed to spur action on important bills.  They have sample letters you can use, or just sign the ones provided and they are delivered to our representatives' mail boxes.

 

The Fellowship Committee is seeking volunteers to close up on Sundays after meeting. The main responsibilities are tidying up (i.e., washing cups and emptying wastebaskets) and closing up the meetinghouse.  Most Sundays it probably takes 15 to 20 minutes, less if two people work
together.  Potluck Sundays typically take a bit longer, but usually there are more volunteers to help.  Everyone is invited to volunteer, but we would especially like to hear from those who are willing to serve
either once a month or every other month. If you are ready to volunteer, or if you need more details before committing, contact Bob Gaines at
gaines at comcast.net or 466-1746.  If you can only help intermittently, you can just sign up for an open date on the roster in the kitchen.  We'll give you a reminder call before your Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some Key Meeting Contacts

 

Santa Fe Monthly Meeting Website: http://santa-fe.quaker.org/index.html

 

Ministry and Oversight Committee: (to whom you bring personal or meeting-wide concerns and needs for pastoral counseling) Ford Robbins, Clerk, 466-7665, fordrobbins at earthlink.net; Joan Spencer, 984-2217, ssspencer at pol.net; Dimitri Mihalas, 661-7414; Anne McLaughlin, 995-9655, caunteton at cs.com; Philip Balcombe, 466-2982, pjbalcombe at cybermesa.com; Beverly Busching, 984-8742,bbusching at mindspring.com; Roland Pool, 983-7241, mail to:RolandPoole at aol.com; Reuben Hersh, 983-5044

 

Meeting Clerk: Beverly Busching, 984-8742, bbusching at mindspring.com

 

Meeting Resident: (to schedule use of building, guest apartment, report building problems, etc.) Peg Martin.  (505) 983-7241

 

Newsletter: Kate Moses, editor, 988.2709, please email submissions, preferably as Word docs, to katemoses at earthlink.net, by the Friday before Business Meeting (held each third First Day).

 

Recorder: Nina Sammons NinaSammons at gmail.com 471-6779

 

Treasurer: Frank Hirsch, 466.0109.  Please mail financial contributions to: Treasurer, Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM  87501

 

(All Committees and members, attenders and their contact information are listed in the Meeting Directory.)