A      LETTER       TO       FRIENDS

Newsletter of the Santa Fe Monthly Meeting       12th Month 2006           

Calendar of Events

All events to be held at the Meetinghouse, 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, unless otherwise noted.

Meeting for Worship is held every Sunday at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. 

Childcare and teen First-Day School are provided during the 11 a.m. service.


Sunday, Dec. 3                      10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:10 - 10:45 a. m. Meeting for Worship for Healing

                                    12:10 a. m.  Potluck following 11 a.m. Meeting


Sunday, Dec. 10           9:15 a. m. Ministry and Oversight Committee, guest apartment.  Friends with

                                       concerns to bring before the committee, please come at 10:00

                                    10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room


Sunday, Dec. 17           10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room                               

                                    12:10 p. m.  Meeting for Worship for Business 


Sunday, Dec. 24           10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:00 a. m.  Peace and Social Concerns Committee, Library        

                                    12:10 p. m.  Pot-luck (soup provided) for Adult Young Friends (18-30something?)                                        for fellowship

                                    6:00 p. m.  Silent worship.  A luminaria (bonfire) and farolitos will be

                                                tended by Young Adult Friends.


Sunday, Dec. 31           10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:10 - 10:45 a. m. Meeting for Worship for Healing


Sunday, Jan.7              10:00 a. m.  Singing, First Day School room

                                    10:10 - 10:45 a. m. Meeting for Worship for Healing

                                    12:10 a. m.  Potluck at rise of 11 a.m. Meeting


Attention All Committee and Group Members:  Please send calendar items to the newsletter editor at katemoses at earthlink.net.  The editor is not aware of committee meetings, events, etc., unless you make her aware.  Help get the word out!  Please include date, time, place, and description of events.  Thanks.  --ed.

The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.                                                                                                                               --Nelson Henderson



Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

19 eleventh month 2006


Present:  Helen Corneli, Kip Corneli, Ford Robbins, John Kretzmann, Philip Balcombe, Rebecca Henderson, Peg Martin, Michele Chrabot, Peggy Giltrow, Elliott Skinner, Steve Spencer, Bettina Raphael, Beverly Busching, clerk, Mary Ray Cate, recording clerk.


Meeting began with a reading from the new IMYM Faith and Practice followed by a short period of silence.


1. Treasurer’s report:  Peggy Giltrow presented the treasurer’s report for 10th month, which was reviewed and approved. Thanks to everyone who responded to the recent letter.  Over $4000 in donations have been received, bringing the general fund balance to $9,248, so we will be able to meet all our commitments for 2006.   The maintenance fund has $6,910.  Income from the guest apartment was $1,435 and maintenance expenses were $1,093. 


2. Finance committee report: The committee met on 10/16/06 and on 11/8/06.  Peggy Giltrow presented the report.  Copies are available in the library.  Meeting approved two proposals of the committee:


a. The Resident is authorized to spend up to $50 for emergency human needs at her own discretion.  Funds will come from the Emergency line item, issued in advance and topped up as used.


b. For emergency requests over $50 the matter will be considered as a request for pastoral care and referred to the clerk of M&O, who will discuss the need with the clerk of Meeting and check with the Treasurer to see how much is still available in the Emergency line item ($400 per year).  If the request exceeds existing Emergency funds M&O can take the request to Business Meeting with their recommendation.


3. 2007 Budget:  Thanks go to the Finance committee for preparing and explaining the budget and to the Good Works committee for their recommendations. The budget as modified and approved will appear elsewhere in the newsletter. Meeting expressed appreciation for the suggestion of Ford Robbins and the Finance committee a few years ago that our good works budget match or exceed our operation expenses.


It was suggested that advertising in Friends Journal and the yellow pages should be combined in one line item in the budget.  


It was proposed that the Paul Olmstead Memorial Fund be used for expenses of the committee on Conscientious Objection until the money that is currently in the fund is used up.  Then Meeting will then add money yearly to the fund, retaining Paul Olmstead’s name on the fund.


Additional hours of cleaning were approved, but the question of whether to have the guest apartment professionally cleaned or not will be discussed later.


Ford Robbins suggested a member appreciation day when Meeting would honor all the volunteer work and in-kind donations contributed by people in our Meeting.  This was deferred for later discussion.  Helen Corneli, for instance, passes on Pendle Hill pamphlets to the Meeting library.  Ford also suggested that we have more regular reminders that contributions are needed.  Phillip suggested a monthly notice of where we are in relation to budgeted expenses and income.


4.  A worthwhile book:  Rebecca Henderson’s cousin has written a book about families of U.S. military personnel stationed in Iraq.  While They’re at War by Kristen Henderson is published by Houghlin Mifflen and available at La Farge library.


5.  Hopi headdress:  Bettina reread the Headdress Committee’s recommendation that the headdress be returned to its location in the Meeting room with protective mounting and a descriptive plaque.  The recommendation was approved.  Concerns about the wording of the written description were expressed.  It is important to include the fact that the headdress was a gift to Olive Rush from a Hopi woman.  Meeting thanks the committee, especially Steve Spencer and Elliott Skinner, for their research on this matter.  We also appreciate Bettina taking care of the headdress until it can be returned to the Meetinghouse.


6.  Ministry and Oversight:  The M&O report was presented by Ford Robbins.   The committee has taken on responsibility for a monthly events calendar.  Please let Ford know as soon as possible if there is a Quaker event you want listed on the



A wedding will take place in the Meetinghouse on Saturday afternoon 12/23/06. The couple, non-Quakers from California, will pay for the Meetinghouse to be cleaned after the event to be ready for Meeting the next day. (Note: Later, the couple decided not to use the Meetinghouse.)


Jeanette Young would like a small group to come to her home for a short period of silent worship one day a month.  It could be before or after the 11:00 am meeting on First Day or at another time.  Please contact Ford if you would like to participate.


7.  Christmas Eve:  There will be silent worship in the Meetinghouse at 6:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve.  A luminaria (bonfire) and farolitos will be taken care of by Young Adult Friends. We need volunteers   a) to provide refreshments for those tending the bonfire and  b) to remove the farolitos the next morning.  The Fellowship Committee is requested to designate someone to close the  Meetinghouse at the end of the evening.


8.  Building Committee:  The committee did not meet this month, although Bettina is putting in 4-10 hours per week as convener, and gave this report.  The guest apartment is in violation of building codes, has holes in the floor and ceiling, uncomfortable beds and a heater which needs replacement, among other problems.  There is also a wall between us and the Bacigalupas which is in danger of collapsing.  Bettina estimates that these repairs could cost $5000.  A proposal to give the Building committee permission to use up to $2000 from the Maintenance fund to address some of these urgent high priority needs was approved. The Committee will report back with a prioritized list of other repairs.

Bettina  expressed a need for more clarity about finances and a budget for the committee.  She also noted that the distinction between preservation and maintenance is sometimes unclear.  Discussion of a process to involve the wider Meeting community in  bigger issues of the Meetinghouse using existing committees (Visioning, Finance, Trustees, and M&O)  was deferred.

M&O has begun discussion regarding the purpose and ministry of the guest apartment, and we need to hear their report before raising the nightly rate.  It was suggested that Quakers be given a lower rate than non-Quakers for staying in the apartment.


9.  Nominating committee:  The committee’s report consisted of a second reading of last month’s nominations, which were approved.


10.  Resident’s report:  The guest apartment is no longer available for meetings.  If there is a scheduling problem Peg is willing to let committees meet in the ramada.  Everyone is very grateful for Peg’s efforts so far.  The cushions in the meeting room have been recovered.


11. IMYM Continuing committee:  Bob Gaines, who is at the SOA protest at Ft. Benning this weekend, will attend a continuing committee meeting 1/26-27/06.  There are three queries we need to consider before then.  Meeting’s responses to two queries will be discussed during the January potluck, after background information is shared.


Meeting for worship for business was closed with a silent circle at 3:55 p.m.

Mary Ray Cate, Recording Clerk




F(f)riendly cooks sought to help feed the guests at St. Elizabeth's Shelter on the 2nd Friday of each month. Cooks usually prepare food at home and bring it to the Shelter. Others cook at the Shelter and share a meal with the guests. This is a 20 year-long commitment to the Shelter that was started by Shirl Olmstead. Please call Nichoe at 438-4368 or email at nichoe at earthlink.net if you would like to join us.


Your contributions for the following ongoing service projects are always appreciated.  Please bring to Meeting: 1. Used postage stamps, 2 Lightly used children’s books (see “Moms” below), 3. Non-perishable teen-friendly foodstuffs for youth shelter.  Thank you!


Moms Read to Kids: Young Friends are collecting lightly used children’s books to contribute to a reading program at NM women’s prisons. Mothers read books onto audio tapes for their daughters and sons who are learning to read. The book and tape are sent to the child. Please check your book shelves and closets for age appropriate children’s literature. The Young Friends thank you for your contribution to their service project.  Books can be deposited in a colorful box located in the library.


The Draft and Military Counseling Committee is now called the Committee on Conscientious Objection.  COCO now meets on a needs basis.  To get information on the committee / meeting time and place please call Howard Shulman at 984-9908.


Our most senior member of meeting, Jeanette Young, will be at home and welcoming visitors for tea and crumpets any day between 2:00 and 5:00 (no need to call ahead; short sweet visits are fine). 


Would you like to receive a paper copy of our new Meeting directory?  Telephone Molly Vaux at (505)

988-9545 to arrange to receive it via the US Mail. 


Peace and Social Concerns invites YOU to join us in "speaking truth to power."  We meet at the Meetinghouse the 4th Sunday of each month indoors or out in good weather. There are so many "concerns—crises, in fact--that we need to strategize on what would be most effective and speak to the concerns of our members.  Log on http://www.fcnl.org/index.htm (Friends Committee on National Legislation) to find out what our representatives in Washington suggest.  This wonderful organization keeps watch on Congress and lets us know when letters are needed to spur action on important bills.  They have sample letters you can use, or just sign the ones provided and they are delivered to our representatives' mail boxes.


The Fellowship Committee is seeking volunteers to close up on Sundays after meeting. The main responsibilities are tidying up (i.e., washing cups and emptying wastebaskets) and closing up the meetinghouse.  Most Sundays it probably takes 15 to 20 minutes, less if two people work
together.  Potluck Sundays typically take a bit longer, but usually there are more
volunteers to help.  Everyone is invited to volunteer, but we would especially like to hear from those who are willing to serve
either once a month or e
very other month. If you are ready to volunteer, or if you need more details before committing, contact Bob Gaines at gaines at comcast.net or 466-1746.  If you can only help intermittently, you can just sign up for an open date on the roster in the kitchen.  We'll give you a reminder call before your Sunday.


Guesthouse For Rent: Eastside adobe surrounded by piñons, one bedroom, large living room with kiva fireplace, brick floors, wood ceilings, private patio, off street parking, passive solar with electric backup heat, full size gas range, lots of closet and storage space.  Located 3 miles from plaza near trails and Audubon Center. Available furnished for month of January, $950 including all utilities except phone.  Available unfurnished beginning February 1st, 2007 with one year lease; $850 per month includes water, gas, sewer and trash; tenant pays electric.  Non-smoking, references required. 

Come see it!   Mary Ray, 989-1630

Your original poem, inspirational quotation, news item, interview with or biographical sketch of a member or attender could be HERE.
 Friends are invited
to submit items for inclusion in the newsletter.
A peaceful winter holiday to all.  –the editor
Some Key Meeting Contacts


Santa Fe Monthly Meeting Website: http://santa-fe.quaker.org/index.html


Ministry and Oversight Committee: (to whom you bring personal or meeting-wide concerns and needs for pastoral counseling) Ford Robbins, Clerk, 466-7665, mail to: fordrobbins at earthlink.net; Joan Spencer, 984-2217, mail to: ssspencer at pol.net; Dimitri Mihalas, 661-7414; Anne McLaughlin, 995-9655, mail to: caunteton at cs.com; Philip Balcombe, 466-2982, mail to: pjbalcombe at cybermesa.com; Beverly Busching, 984-8742,mail to: bbusching at mindspring.com; Roland Pool, 983-7241, mail to:RolandPoole at aol.com; Reuben Hersh, 983-5044


Meeting Clerk: Beverly Busching, 984-8742, bbusching at mindspring.com


Meeting Resident: (to schedule use of building, guest apartment, report building problems, etc.) Peg Martin.  (505) 983-7241


Newsletter: Kate Moses, editor, 988.2709, please email submissions, preferably as Word docs, to katemoses at earthlink.net, by the Friday before Business Meeting (held each third First Day).


Recorder: Nina Sammons NinaSammons at gmail.com 471-6779


Treasurer: Frank Hirsch, 466.0109.  Please mail financial contributions to: Treasurer, Santa Fe Monthly Meeting of Friends, 630 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM  87501


(All Committees and members, attenders and their contact information are listed in the Meeting Directory.)